Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

underage at the vape shop posted:

I really hate seeing steel wool in urbex photos. Loads of great old buildings in Brisbane get burned down by people doing it, so all the really awesome stuff has tight security or gets demolished pretty quickly.

Could you elaborate on the steel wool thing? Are urbex photogs starting fires in old buildings for some kind of lighting effect, and sharing photos with the world that include the fire-starting materials? Why steel wool and not, I dunno, something else flammable if you're hankering for a fire-lit photo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Helen Highwater posted:

It's this effect.

You set fire to some steel wool stuffed into a kitchen whisk and swing it around to get the shower of sparks and light trails.
Thanks! That is indeed a cool effect - done outdoors on a snow-covered field. Inside a pre-fire-regulations wood building seems like a bad idea.

When I saw "I hate seeing steel wool in photos" I thought that meant a bit of steel wool in the corner of the shot, like the photog forgot to clean up before showing the world the evidence of their pyromaniac tendencies. Pictures featuring actual fire inside old buildings wasn't what I was thinking. People are stupid, goddam.

• Locked thread