Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
With hearing loss from loud noises, you almost always have a large temporary threshold shift that recedes over a few hours or days, leaving a smaller permanent threshold shift. In other words, a bunch of hearing goes away, and then most of it comes back. Most, but not all. Over time, multiple instances of TTS build up to a very noticeable PTS.

That is for things like loud concerts and firing ranges without ear muffs. There's a pretty big difference between firing a gun around unprotected ears and firing one right next to them, to the point where you could conceivably have sustained minor burns from the muzzle flash. It's entirely possible the pressure wave from a gunshot that close could have literally torn a hole in his eardrum. I'd say dude was more or less fully deaf when he woke up in the car, and over the next few days went down to partially deaf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Plus, Buddy was probably pretty sure that he was about to kill him. It's almost like he saw it fitting that Baby would at least die deaf.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Chieves posted:

Plus, Buddy was probably pretty sure that he was about to kill him. It's almost like he saw it fitting that Baby would at least die deaf.

Didn't he say something about murdering Debora before him?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Chieves posted:

Actually, according to Wright, Buddy's plan was basically
1. Blow out Baby's ears
2. Kill his girlfriend in front of him
3. gently caress off and leave him for the cops
Basically he wanted Baby to have to live with the same loveless, miserable existence as him.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Coffee And Pie posted:

Didn't he say something about murdering Debora before him?

"Shame you can't hear her screams but I'll have to settle for making you watch."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Spergatory posted:

Actually, according to Wright, Buddy's plan was basically
1. Blow out Baby's ears
2. Kill his girlfriend in front of him
3. gently caress off and leave him for the cops
Basically he wanted Baby to have to live with the same loveless, miserable existence as him.

Am I a monster for wanting this as an alternate ending on the blu-ray because I really want this now.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

i am the bird posted:

I'm less creeped out by the Oedipal nature of their relationship and more by the unexplored connection between Baby's domestic violence upbringing and his guilty bystander feeling as an adult.
I don't think the movie is saying that six year old Baby should have stood up to his dad which I think is what's troubling you. The problem is that Baby got stuck being a victim. He reacts to the dead guard the same way he reacts to the domestic violence despite being an adult and probably the most dangerous person in the film. It's a further critique of adult Baby, not young Baby.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 23, 2017

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

precision posted:

Am I a monster for wanting this as an alternate ending on the blu-ray because I really want this now.

Why?

Spergatory posted:

It's entirely possible the pressure wave from a gunshot that close could have literally torn a hole in his eardrum.

Possible. Fun fact: Linda Hamilton suffered a degree of permanent hearing loss after the scene in Terminator 2 where she fires a pistol in an elevator.

As someone who's previously ruptured my eardrum (due to an infection, not concussive force, to be fair), significant hearing loss isn't necessarily a given. A perforated eardrum can heal, or be surgically repaired in extreme circumstances.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Xealot posted:

As someone who's previously ruptured my eardrum (due to an infection, not concussive force, to be fair), significant hearing loss isn't necessarily a given. A perforated eardrum can heal, or be surgically repaired in extreme circumstances.

This is true. Eardrums heal on their own most of the time. It's the tiny hair cells behind them that don't heal. Anything that fucks with those will in some way permanently gently caress your hearing, and concussive force resulting in a perforated ear drum is far more likely to rupture, bend, or otherwise damage those hair cells than most infections. Like your example, sometimes a single exposure to a loud noise in the wrong circumstances can permanently mess with your ears.

My right ear got infected a few years back, resulting in a burst eardrum. I've had tinnitus in that ear ever since! No music-based driving superpowers though. :smith:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It's been a week and I still haven't forgiven this movie for not using Radar Love for a full sequence.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I'm going to see this in an hour, pretty much on a whim, its rare that I go to see movies so I end up doing a bit of reading up on the behind the scenes stuff before viewing. I had no idea Edgar Wright directed Spaced and Shaun of the Dead which are both favorites of mine. For some reason I've missed the rest of his work other than maybe the second half of Hot Fuzz at a friends once. Also had no idea he directed the music video for After Hours by the Bluetones which was the final leaving song for our high school prom, brings back memories that one.

Anyway, really looking forward to this, on holiday this week so sod it I'm grabbing myself a hot-dog, looks like it'll be pretty entertaining. And lets hope the movies good as well.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
At the beginning Baby wears Wayfarers like the criminals in Reservoir Dogs. When he betrays the gang he's wearing Clubmasters like Mr Orange. Is this something? Am I reaching?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Gargamel Gibson posted:

At the beginning Baby wears Wayfarers like the criminals in Reservoir Dogs. When he betrays the gang he's wearing Clubmasters like Mr Orange. Is this something? Am I reaching?

With any other director, I'd say yes, but this is Edgar "made the lights in the window of a moving bus heart-shaped" Wright
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWz6iVw2vxQ

Coffee And Pie fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 24, 2017

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

If you have Twitter, tweet at Wright. I bet he'll tell you.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Coffee And Pie posted:

With any other director, I'd say yes, but this is Edgar "made the lights in the window of a moving bus heart-shaped" Wright
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWz6iVw2vxQ

The lights on Scott's side are heart-shaped. At the beginning, the lights on Ramona's side are shaped like evil x's, but as she's won over, they too turn into hearts.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
That was the best movie. I find something new every time I watch it.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

People who poo poo on it for being nerd pandering or whatever just don't get it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It still makes me a bit sad that Scott Pilgrim didn't make a ton more money. I used to like the comic and I loved Plumtree, though it was pretty weird that Scott Pilgrim the movie did not include Scott Pilgrim the song considering it was a big hit (by Canadian 90s indie rock standards)

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Had a really good time with this one, it's a lazy cliche but it felt greater than the sum of its parts, many of the individual scenes blew me away even if the main plot-line wasn't that interesting. I thought Jamie Fox was brilliant, Spacey was great, also me and the girlfriend spent the first hour puzzling over the actor who played Buddy. She thought it was Hugh Laurie at first but we finally realized it was the main guy from Mad Men which we have only just started watching.

Yeah, just a good fun movie.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Stray observations from another rewatch:

-Any problems I had with the character agency of Debora were washed away when I realized that Debora very clearly wants and chooses to go for one thing in this movie: Baby. No, for real. She goes after him. 90% of their first interaction is her flirting like crazy and him just being all :stare: and flustered that a real person is talking to him. Every time he goes into that Diner, she basically orbits him, invades his personal space, cutely asks him probing questions and tries to get him to open up. She is the pursuer, and he is the object of desire. This is especially clear when you realize the only obstacle to them being together is Baby's life of crime and feelings of unworthiness. Her comment at the end of their date suggests to me that she kind of suspects something untoward is going on with him but she doesn't care because she took one look at him at the beginning of the movie and thought "I'm fixin' to climb that boy like a tree."

-There is a moment that actually foreshadows Doc going over to Baby's side at the end. When he plays the Debora tape, his expression goes from mild annoyance/secondhand embarrassment to genuine surprise. Then, when the other crooks start questioning Baby and it becomes clear that they know about his girlfriend, he makes the exact same "goddamnit" face that he makes when he sees them together at the end and pointedly turns to look at the wall for the rest of the scene. I actually think "take this fool back to his shithole" was a sincere attempt at getting Baby out of the shitstorm he created for himself, but Bats being Bats scared Baby into not taking it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

precision posted:

Not until Edgar Wright gets a chance to shoot his alternate ending to Scott Pilgrim where Scott is arrested for the murder of Ramona's 7 exes.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Real shame that he never got the ending to Shaun where he's arrested for Murdering all of those people. Even if they were zombies.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

duz posted:

Not until Edgar Wright gets a chance to shoot his alternate ending to Scott Pilgrim where Scott is arrested for the murder of Ramona's 7 exes.

According to Bryan Lee O'Malley, they didn't die, they respawned at home with their lessons learned (and presumably missing half their money).

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

precision posted:

It still makes me a bit sad that Scott Pilgrim didn't make a ton more money. I used to like the comic and I loved Plumtree, though it was pretty weird that Scott Pilgrim the movie did not include Scott Pilgrim the song considering it was a big hit (by Canadian 90s indie rock standards)

Uh, it did include the song. It's only in there for a few seconds right at the very beginning of the movie but it's there, as well as another song by Plumtree. Plus it's on the soundtrack, along with the song that inspired Ramona's name, I Heard Ramona Sing, which is also in the movie.

Spergatory posted:

-Any problems I had with the character agency of Debora were washed away when I realized that Debora very clearly wants and chooses to go for one thing in this movie: Baby. No, for real. She goes after him. 90% of their first interaction is her flirting like crazy and him just being all :stare: and flustered that a real person is talking to him. Every time he goes into that Diner, she basically orbits him, invades his personal space, cutely asks him probing questions and tries to get him to open up. She is the pursuer, and he is the object of desire. This is especially clear when you realize the only obstacle to them being together is Baby's life of crime and feelings of unworthiness. Her comment at the end of their date suggests to me that she kind of suspects something untoward is going on with him but she doesn't care because she took one look at him at the beginning of the movie and thought "I'm fixin' to climb that boy like a tree."

This for real. The scene in the laundromat is Lily James giving off her best "i want you to take me right this very second" vibes. The two of them really have a crazy amount of chemistry, especially during that dinner scene.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 25, 2017

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The best part of the movie was the two young white sexthings getting it on with each other

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was yeah. The rest is just very very okay.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Spergatory posted:

According to Bryan Lee O'Malley, they didn't die, they respawned at home with their lessons learned (and presumably missing half their money).

IF they had leveled up a life.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I'm sure people have picked up on this already but I realized today that Baby Driver continues the theme of arrested development that ties all of Wright's work together. What's interesting is how this idea plays out somewhat differently in each film.

Shaun of the Dead: Shaun is stuck between adolescence and adulthood. He is torn between being a responsible "boring" adult (personified by Pete) and having "fun" like he used to (personified by Ed). He cannot move forward until he is literally forced to by a zombie horde and finds a way to be an adult while still having fun. Liz has figured this out and wants him to come with her but he is comforted by the familiar and childishly scared of change or compromise. We'll see this comfort of the familiar come up again later.

Hot Fuzz: Frank is in a destructive cycle of trying to recreate happy moments from his past that were important to his dead wife. He is trying to force the world to change to fit his obsession (see The World's End for this taken to its extreme). He is unable to move past this and pays the price of being attacked by a swan and imprisoned. Instead of being focused on a protagonist's arrested development we see it manifest in the antagonist. What makes him the antagonist is the fact that his love for another (his son) does not result in any change, it only furthers his psychosis. There is also the push-pull of childish innocence vs. responsible adulthood embodied in Danny vs. Nicolas, and by the end they both absorb a bit of each other.

The World's End: This one is the most obvious expression of the idea. A big deal is made of Gary King being stuck in high school while the rest of his mates turned into "boring" adults (see also: Pete in SotD). He isn't wrong about them per se, but much like the Dude says to Walter, he's just an rear end in a top hat. However he is totally immobilized due to his alcoholism and brings down destruction on the world. Instead of changing to fit the world like Shaun, he forces the world to change to fit him like Frank. And like Frank his love for Andy is not enough to bring him back from the brink. Instead he draws Andy back into the abyss.

Scott Pilgrim: We have a protagonist who is stuck in a mental state of video game references, general apathy, and an inability to commit to anything or even pay attention to his surroundings. He really has no history except his one evil ex that he is totally stuck on wallowing in self-pity over. Like Wright's other protagonists he is in stasis until he is forced to reconcile his selfishness with his caring about another person. He is unable to move past this until he 1. learns to actually love Ramona as a whole person, history and all, instead of just as a manic pixie dream girl and 2. learns to respect himself enough to not obsess over what was ostensibly his first and only setback in life and stop being a navel gazing dickwad. It isn't a fairy tale ending necessarily but it's a reset to a place where a happy ending is at least possible.

Baby Driver: The protagonist is stuck in a moment in time - sitting in a car with earphones in while violence happens all around him. He is recreating his life's great trauma over and over again until - guess what - he cares about someone else. Like Scott Pilgrim he must now reconcile his stasis with this newfound sense of purpose but is only able to break out of his stasis when both of them are put in mortal danger, like Shaun. This one's a bit different because he's not necessarily in his situation of his own volition but you get the sense he still gets some comfort from it until poo poo starts to go haywire. Had he not met Deborah he may have chosen to go on working for Doc forever, maybe not happily, but in a familiar scenario he could easily repeat until he inevitably bites it.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Colonel Whitey posted:

I'm sure people have picked up on this already but I realized today that Baby Driver continues the theme of arrested development that ties all of Wright's work together. What's interesting is how this idea plays out somewhat differently in each film.

Shaun of the Dead: Shaun is stuck between adolescence and adulthood. He is torn between being a responsible "boring" adult (personified by Pete) and having "fun" like he used to (personified by Ed). He cannot move forward until he is literally forced to by a zombie horde and finds a way to be an adult while still having fun. Liz has figured this out and wants him to come with her but he is comforted by the familiar and childishly scared of change or compromise. We'll see this comfort of the familiar come up again later.

Hot Fuzz: Frank is in a destructive cycle of trying to recreate happy moments from his past that were important to his dead wife. He is trying to force the world to change to fit his obsession (see The World's End for this taken to its extreme). He is unable to move past this and pays the price of being attacked by a swan and imprisoned. Instead of being focused on a protagonist's arrested development we see it manifest in the antagonist. What makes him the antagonist is the fact that his love for another (his son) does not result in any change, it only furthers his psychosis. There is also the push-pull of childish innocence vs. responsible adulthood embodied in Danny vs. Nicolas, and by the end they both absorb a bit of each other.

The World's End: This one is the most obvious expression of the idea. A big deal is made of Gary King being stuck in high school while the rest of his mates turned into "boring" adults (see also: Pete in SotD). He isn't wrong about them per se, but much like the Dude says to Walter, he's just an rear end in a top hat. However he is totally immobilized due to his alcoholism and brings down destruction on the world. Instead of changing to fit the world like Shaun, he forces the world to change to fit him like Frank. And like Frank his love for Andy is not enough to bring him back from the brink. Instead he draws Andy back into the abyss.

Scott Pilgrim: We have a protagonist who is stuck in a mental state of video game references, general apathy, and an inability to commit to anything or even pay attention to his surroundings. He really has no history except his one evil ex that he is totally stuck on wallowing in self-pity over. Like Wright's other protagonists he is in stasis until he is forced to reconcile his selfishness with his caring about another person. He is unable to move past this until he 1. learns to actually love Ramona as a whole person, history and all, instead of just as a manic pixie dream girl and 2. learns to respect himself enough to not obsess over what was ostensibly his first and only setback in life and stop being a navel gazing dickwad. It isn't a fairy tale ending necessarily but it's a reset to a place where a happy ending is at least possible.

Baby Driver: The protagonist is stuck in a moment in time - sitting in a car with earphones in while violence happens all around him. He is recreating his life's great trauma over and over again until - guess what - he cares about someone else. Like Scott Pilgrim he must now reconcile his stasis with this newfound sense of purpose but is only able to break out of his stasis when both of them are put in mortal danger, like Shaun. This one's a bit different because he's not necessarily in his situation of his own volition but you get the sense he still gets some comfort from it until poo poo starts to go haywire. Had he not met Deborah he may have chosen to go on working for Doc forever, maybe not happily, but in a familiar scenario he could easily repeat until he inevitably bites it.

I also remembered/noticed during my third viewing of Baby Driver, that I don't think a single person has sex during an Edgar Wright movie. Scott Pilgrim comes closest, but also Ramona specifically says "I'm not having sex with you" after underwear-make-out-time. Baby never gets in the apartment, and the Pegg character in all three of the Cornetto movies is either out of a relationship or on the outs in one.

Even with the secondary characters in his movies, the closest you get is Darling and Buddy making out like teenagers and Wallace sharing his bed with numerous men (leading up to the "what a spectacular rear end in a top hat joke"), and I guess the theater director and his Juliet in Hot Fuzz.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I'm not sure if anyone else mentioned this or even noticed/cared, but I was happy to see CJ Jones in the role of Joseph.

Stuff like Ruby Rose using ASL (very poorly) in John Wick 2 drives me nuts, so I was happy to see an actual Deaf actor playing a Deaf character.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

Even with the secondary characters in his movies, the closest you get is Darling and Buddy making out like teenagers and Wallace sharing his bed with numerous men (leading up to the "what a spectacular rear end in a top hat joke"),

Thank you for reminding me of that joke and that character. :allears:

LadyPictureShow posted:

I'm not sure if anyone else mentioned this or even noticed/cared, but I was happy to see CJ Jones in the role of Joseph.

Stuff like Ruby Rose using ASL (very poorly) in John Wick 2 drives me nuts, so I was happy to see an actual Deaf actor playing a Deaf character.

I read an article written by someone in the deaf community that said anyone who knows sign language can plainly see in the way the characters use it that Baby has learned sign language, while Joseph knows it. Which makes sense for the characters: Baby has come to it relatively recently and learned it mostly to communicate better with Joe, whereas Joseph has been using it his whole life out of necessity and knows it in his bones. That's hard to fake, and even if you could fake it; why would you, when you can just get the real deal?

Edgar Wright apparently gave CJ Jones a lot of creative freedom in interpreting his given lines for sign language. ASL grammar is pretty different from spoken or written English, so the captions that pop up beside Baby and Joseph when they're signing are not literal translations, but 'the gist' of what they're signing. I don't know sign language that well, but one thing I did notice: there are two different signs translated as 'girl.' Baby uses the one where he kind of makes a fist and rubs his thumb against the side of his face, whereas Joseph traces the silhouette of a woman in the air with his fingers. I'm guessing Baby's is the literal translation, whereas Joseph is kind of teasing Baby and using a sign with more salacious implications.

Basically, the difference between :j: and :wink:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Yeah, basically on your interpretation on the two different signs for girl. Baby's usage is the 'citation form' of the sign, Joseph's is more playing around. And good point that it's clear Baby learned it later in life while Joseph's been signing his whole life. I started learning ASL at 18, and my signing has noticeable differences from native signers; like my flow is a little less smooth, and I tend toward English SVO word order.

ASL grammar is more flexible in terms of word order and there are differences in grammar compared to English, and the captions show the English 'equivalent' of the signs.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsHjcZZz2TQ

For example in this interview with Jones, his first sentence is (glossing the meaning of the signs here) REPLY LIKE WOW FINALLY HAVE BLACK DEAF ROLE. Which in the VO by the interpreter translates to 'it was like 'wow, you know, finally there's going to be the opportunity for a black Deaf person to have a role in a movie'. I know the glossing probably looks like caveman speak, but the context of the topic counts too.

I'll quit nerding out about the ASL thing; I'm a sign language acquisition researcher and whenever a 'Deaf' character shows up in a show or movie, non-signing friends of mine usually ask 'Hey LPS, how was the ASL?'

Plus, having Deaf characters played by hearing people (like, say, Rinko Kikuchi in Babel) is like the Deaf version of whitewashing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Sign language is very fun to learn, I suggest everyone do it.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
In high school I learned how to sign gently caress you xD

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I learned how to sign "Backstreet's Back" once for school.

Also, I may have timed my drive to the deli this morning to Bellbottoms, which worked surprisingly well.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
They've reached the Latin American leg of the press tour, which means now we're starting to see alternate titles for the movie. Brazil gets "Em Ritmo de Fuga" which Google translates to "The Rhythm of Escape," whereas in Mexico it's "Baby: El Aprendiz de Crimen" which I'm pretty sure is just "Baby: the Apprentice of Crime" or as Edgar would probably put it "Baby: Crime Intern." It's got me wondering who decides when a title needs changing for a foreign market. Sometimes it gets changed, sometimes it gets translated, sometimes it's just "gently caress you, here's the English title, deal with it."

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Crime Intern is actually pretty good.

I was always fond of Die Hard being retitled "A Hard Nut To Crack."

Serf
May 5, 2011

Mods please change my name to A Hard Nut to Bust.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Vox mapped out the opposing chase scene if you're interested. Edgar Wright said they tried to stick to real geography as much as they could, and you can kind of tell, but you can also see the exact point where he realized they could either make this work with the streets or make it work with the song, and wisely chose the song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

precision posted:

I think it's his best movie because it is the only one that didn't leave me with a faintly empty feeling at the end. They're all stunning pieces of craft though, just amazing.

• Locked thread