Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

What if you took "Drive", and swapped the ultraviolent, brooding, neon-lit affect of Nicholas Windig Refn for the pop-addled, needle-dropping auteurism of Edgar Wright?

Well you might get Baby Driver.

Starring Ansel Elgort as B-A-B-Y Baby, a young but troubled getaway man whose tinnitus-blocking set of rockin' tunes gives him nerves of steel; Lily James as his ladyfriend; Kevin Spacey as Frank Underwood a menacing mob boss who happens to be Baby's boss; plus Jon Hamm, Jamie Foxx and Jon Bernthal as charismatic-looking toughs who Baby drives around in increasingly 2fast2furious fashion.

Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byb2eJ_lLes

I mean, as trailers go, there's a lot to like here. That careening bright red Subaru whipping all over the frame, those gleaming Wayfarers, that soundtrack! This has all the feel of a classic chase/heist movie mixed with a jukebox framing device, but not without a dose of whimsy and weirdness - I love that Mike Myers joke in the trailer and I hope it plays as well in the film. I expect lots of delicious diegetic/musical moments as this is after all an Edgar Wright picture. It's gonna go vroom real fast, the soundtrack is going to kick rear end, Baby is probably going to end up driving for his life to get away from some very great vengeance and furious anger, and it seems to tilt way further toward an abundance of action beats over comedy beats moreso than anything Wright has done to date bar possibly Ant-Man.

It premiered at SXSW this month and people seem pretty happy with what they've seen. A lot of the story beats (a getaway driver balancing his blossoming romance against the potentially lethal pressure of one last job) seem very, very Drive-esque, but what more does a movie of this style need, really?

One last thought: I absolutely love the connection between the ubiquitous "baby" of vintage pop and R&B, and the stone-faced, near-anonymous driver archetype.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

precision posted:

Looks great, but if one of the songs used isn't "Leader of the Pack" then man, wasted opportunity for sure.

:same:

That and "Be My Baby," of course.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

I really dislike Ansel Elgort. The term "punchable" must have been coined just for him.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

DrVenkman posted:

Here, have the better International trailer: https://youtu.be/z2z857RSfhk

This is indeed significantly better.

"SHAHP!"

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 15, 2017

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

Nah, that would have felt too much like Shawn or Hot Fuzz, I like the twist of Nick Frost being the responsible one and Simon Pegg being the fuckup, they both do very well in their roles.

TWE is probably my least favorite Wright movie, but that's like picking between my children. He's my favorite director, Scott Pilgrim is my favorite movie, and the others both make the top 25 easily. World's End played better on a second viewing for me (like all of his movies), but it's still not as good as the others.

I'm trying not to hype myself up too much for this movie, despite the fact that I couldn't have thought up a more appealing movie if I tried.

The World's End DEFINITELY took a second viewing to fully appreciate for me as well.

I'm a bicoastal Canadian so Scott Pilgrim has always been close to my heart, but the level of subtle, very careful weaving of utterly hilarious things into TWE makes it my fave of the Cornetto movies.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

raditts posted:

What does being a "bicoastal Canadian" mean?

Grew up in Vancouver, lived in Toronto.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Hey!

That's a mean thing to say about Albany.

Well, I'm from Utica, and I've never heard anyone use the phrase "steamed hams."

Also, Ottawa is a bleak, terrible place. Sorry not sorry, Ottawa residents.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Colonel Whitey posted:

E: also I just realized, why is the subtitle for this thread not The Fault In Our Cars

God dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Going tonight. God dammit I cannot wait to get off work and go see this thing.

• Locked thread