Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

precision posted:

Looks great, but if one of the songs used isn't "Chemical Brothers - Block Rockin' Beats" then man, wasted opportunity for sure.

Agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

So go loving see it you losers. Make this movie the surprise hit of the summer so we can get more Edgar Wright action movies.

I've arranged to see this tomorrow evening with a bunch of friends because it's apparently down to me to organise anything. Fuckers. Looking forward to it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Spergatory posted:

In other news: Edgar Wright interviewed actual former getaway drivers in the process of writing this. Not only did they give him a lot of details that ended up in the movie, but some actual word-for-word lines as well.

quote:

Of course, sometimes the truth is too fiction-like for fiction. Another one of Loya’s music choices–he would play “Smooth Criminal” by Michael Jackson after completing a getaway–was deemed too unrealistic for the movie.

Haha

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, I was surprised how lifeless the end to this stunt is even in the final movie, where they have to hide that his momentum completely dies:

http://i.imgur.com/G6k4U9Q.gifv

There's definitely things I liked about the movie, particularly what funny parts there were, but I was surprised how little I enjoyed this as a car movie.

I never noticed that first truck reversing out, I thought it was parked but holy poo poo it gets close to the front of the car... :aaa:

Like that's loving PRECISION driving, gently caress the momentum thing :aaaaa:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Sir Kodiak posted:

They only "did it for real" in the sense that it's all in-camera. They did not actually do the stunt that is implied in the scene, in which a car goes into an alley at high speed, maneuvers around three trucks by spinning around, and emerges all while maintaining speed. Instead, the car changes facing and mysteriously gains momentum between shots, which undercuts the reality of the maneuver as a whole.

It was done by a stunt driver but the exit speed looks about right in the edit when Baby is in the shot driving. It's a 180 turn to a 180 turn the other way, it's physically impossible to maintain a lot of momentum when doing something that extreme in a car, drifters have enough trouble with a reverse entry simply turning a single direction...

*edit: post your favourite reverse entries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CehxEymKr1s

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

cptn_dr posted:

Just two hours of Kevin Spacey hanging out with Killer Mike and Big Boi

I'm in.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

precision posted:

All the British people I know are super down on this movie for, yep, being "too American".

Do those people only go to see British films or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

precision posted:

No, I think it's kind of like they think he's sold out a little bit.

Oh dear. Do they think the same of Pegg considering he writes Star Trek movies?

Steve2911 posted:

I've not heard a single person say that.

Me either, the gang of people I went to see it with enjoyed it all thoroughly.

• Locked thread