Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I disagree. It's definitely the film Edgar's been building up to, and one that a dude with 20 or so years of experience in the industry would be able to pull off. There's the trademark first scene, low-key characterisation scene that secretly reveals the plot of the film. With Shaun you saw the beginning of his experimenting with action scenes, which were very effectively elaborated with Hot Fuzz, and taken to a certain extreme with Scott Pilgrim. Same with the music, first brought into the forefront with Shaun's 'Don't Stop Me Now' climax, and elaborated with each additional film until it hit the absolute forefront with this film. And that's just background to Edgar's effective emotional moments, the distinct history that each character practically radiates, and the perfect way that the small elements and foreshadowing that are brought together in a thematically pitch perfect way that reveals the imperfection of humanity. Plus, I'm sure there's three dozen and a half different elements referencing films from the 70's, car chases, and crime movies that I will just never be able to catch until the Bluray comes out and I can listen to about a dozen commentaries with people of varying levels of involvement (plus probably Quentin Tarentino) in each of them.

Plus, almost no one else could do that jaw dropping Harlem Shuffle sequence.

The only thing he's left behind is the forefront of comedy, dropping it a background element like most Hollywood films, and setting it in a part of the British Commonwealth.

I agree with this statement. You can tell with the editing techniques, the cinematography, that this is a Wright film through and through. What makes it different is seeing all these techniques used in a non-comedy setting. And they thankfully still work, and work very, very well.

As for the film in general - I've never seen a film be so musical that wasn't a musical.

I did also like the historical anachronisms in Baby's flashbacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Krispy Kareem posted:

So was the guy who interfered with the robbery just a 'good guy with a gun'?

The foreshadowing in the bank parking lot made me think it was a deliberate attempt to break up the robbery, but nothing else came of it.

Also, has Edgar Wright done the uninterrupted following shots from Baby Driver in anything other than that and Shawn of the Dead?

Yeah, I had to admit when he was first up, I thought he was sent there to kill Baby and the rest on the very last job by the boss. It was the fact he had one of those one-handed machine guns that looked gold that made me think he was supposed to be a hitman undercover. Would have been better if he had a rifle.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

I suspect I am in the minority.

My least favorite of the Wright films I have seen. Shaun, Fuzz, Pilgrim, End of World.

I didn't dislike it, I just didn't like it nearly as much. Plus the 3rd act was a total mess and took me out of the film pretty badly.

I thought the first act was outstanding, though.

Well, what about the third act was a mess, exactly?

• Locked thread