Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
They've reached the Latin American leg of the press tour, which means now we're starting to see alternate titles for the movie. Brazil gets "Em Ritmo de Fuga" which Google translates to "The Rhythm of Escape," whereas in Mexico it's "Baby: El Aprendiz de Crimen" which I'm pretty sure is just "Baby: the Apprentice of Crime" or as Edgar would probably put it "Baby: Crime Intern." It's got me wondering who decides when a title needs changing for a foreign market. Sometimes it gets changed, sometimes it gets translated, sometimes it's just "gently caress you, here's the English title, deal with it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Vox mapped out the opposing chase scene if you're interested. Edgar Wright said they tried to stick to real geography as much as they could, and you can kind of tell, but you can also see the exact point where he realized they could either make this work with the streets or make it work with the song, and wisely chose the song.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
iPod sales went up 929% on eBay after the release of Baby Driver.

Apple is a bunch of damned fools if they don't cash in on this nostalgia and release a limited edition Baby Driver iPod or some poo poo.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm very keen to see this. I got to interview Debbie Evans, stunt driver extraordinaire, and she said this is the film who's stuntwork really impressed her, doing things she's never seen before, and she's been doing it since the 70s. Does it have the usual Edgar Wright thing of whimsical humour mixed with shocking violence?

Humor starts fairly whimsical but gets less so as the movie goes along. Lots of visual humor as well; several jokes I didn't catch until second viewing. Violence is still pretty shocking but slightly more grounded and has more weight to it. The general theme of the movie is "the fantasy of being a getaway driver vs the reality of being a criminal" where the first slowly gives way to the second, so it gets less funny as the tension mounts, but there are still a couple great jokes even at the end.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
It could be either, really. The movie does a pretty great job of keeping with Baby's pov though. I don't think it's a dream sequence or wanting, but we definitely spend the movie in Baby's head. We literally hear what he hears, right down to which ears we hear it in. There's only one or two very brief interstitial scenes that take place outside of his perspective.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Males sense, but it doesn't line up with stuff that Wright has said in interviews. Wright's backstory for Doc is that he's in the garment industry; he has a legit day job that he always needs to get back to, which is why he never takes off his coat, and the crime HQ everybody meets in is an old textile mill that Doc still owns. You can see the old sewing equipment scattered everywhere.

In other news...
https://twitter.com/edgarwright/status/898113453679714305

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Colonel Whitey posted:

Deleted, what did it say?

Apparently, the Chinese title for Baby Driver translates roughly to 'Extreme Bandit Driver God' which is pretty badass. Or maybe it doesn't, and that's why he deleted it. Who knows? :tinfoil:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Movie's number 1 on iTunes right now. Oh, yeah, you can download it now by the way. :toot:

iTunes version came with a bunch of extras and stuff. My favorite so far is a deleted scene where they get stuck in traffic next to a cop car right before the final heist and spend a couple minutes slowly looking/not-looking at the cops in perfect unison before the cops make Baby take his earbuds out. "It's the law!" :frogsiren:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Pablo Bluth posted:

$106m US BO and the same again overseas is a pretty good return on investment and hopefully help Wright to get more movies made.

Edgar Wright films tend to have a long life on home video as well. Even notorious bomb Scott Pilgrim is close to breaking even now thanks to DVD/Blu-Ray sales! :woop:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Thanks, iTunes, for reminding me why I just loving :filez: everything: because you're so goddamn paranoid that you won't let me play movies that I pay for in HD on my laptop monitor because it doesn't have hardware that supports your bullshit copy protection scheme, so I just wind up having to loving steal a copy anyway! :fuckoff:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
FUN COMMENTARY TIDBIT: The HATE joke was lifted wholesale from Edgar Wright's unproduced version of Ant-Man. He doesn't outright say that's where it came from, but it's pretty heavily implied. "Well if they're not gonna use this amazing joke, I'll have it." :v:

• Locked thread