Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I really liked The World's End when I saw it, but ever since I would be more likely to watch Shaun, Hot Fuzz, and Scott Pilgrim than revisit it.

Still makes it one of the best British films released though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Coffee And Pie posted:

It's Canada's Albany

Hey!

That's a mean thing to say about Albany.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
When I saw the Vita, I was just all, "Ha, mini Frank Underwood."

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Taintrunner posted:

The one thing I really took away from this movie is that it is nothing like anything Edgar Wright has directed previous.

I disagree. It's definitely the film Edgar's been building up to, and one that a dude with 20 or so years of experience in the industry would be able to pull off. There's the trademark first scene, low-key characterisation scene that secretly reveals the plot of the film. With Shaun you saw the beginning of his experimenting with action scenes, which were very effectively elaborated with Hot Fuzz, and taken to a certain extreme with Scott Pilgrim. Same with the music, first brought into the forefront with Shaun's 'Don't Stop Me Now' climax, and elaborated with each additional film until it hit the absolute forefront with this film. And that's just background to Edgar's effective emotional moments, the distinct history that each character practically radiates, and the perfect way that the small elements and foreshadowing that are brought together in a thematically pitch perfect way that reveals the imperfection of humanity. Plus, I'm sure there's three dozen and a half different elements referencing films from the 70's, car chases, and crime movies that I will just never be able to catch until the Bluray comes out and I can listen to about a dozen commentaries with people of varying levels of involvement (plus probably Quentin Tarentino) in each of them.

Plus, almost no one else could do that jaw dropping Harlem Shuffle sequence.

The only thing he's left behind is the forefront of comedy, dropping it a background element like most Hollywood films, and setting it in a part of the British Commonwealth.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Gatts posted:

I loved John Hamm and Jamie Foxx. Hamm in particular felt somewhat warm and likable even as a bad dude versus Foxx who was just out and out bad in nature.

I personally though that they did a good job of actually kinda fleshing out Foxx's character in small ways. Like initially he was introduced as a kinda stereotypical, psychotic brusier. And not to say he wasn't, such as the ambiguous fate of the dude at the gas station. But they do a good job of showing him as intelligently able to read the room, like how he reads John Hamm or being able to tell Paul Williams and his gang are cops. He definitely comes across as a dude who has his reasons for smoking someone. It's just he's a dude who very much believes he's the smartest person in the room, and has his one tool for dealing with most anything that comes his way. It's a combo of egotism, and the saying that 'If all you have is a hammer, everything starts looking like nails'.

Which is fantastically contrasted with Baby, whose shown as being very adaptable, ala Indiana Jones but with a car.

Personally, John Hamm came across as more psychotic. I mean, he plans to kill Foxx for a perceived social faux pas and nothing else. Doesn't really get more clear cut than that. Plus, it adds a small undercurrent of the 99%, Jamie Foxx being a dude who had to fight his way up to Bank Robbery, vs. the 1%, rich rear end in a top hat who attacks the poors directly because it gets him hard. Black dude worked hard to make his way to get to where he is, and the rich white guy wants to off him because he doesn't like him.

RideTheSpiral posted:

it's very weird to me that americans like edgar wright films

Dude, it's super dorky film nerd stuff that's both super accessible while can be taken as Intelligent Art. The British aspect only adds an exotic mystique of 'underground coolness'. It's like Monty Python, or like Doctor Who or Top Gear but actually good.

SomeJazzyRat fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jun 30, 2017

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

checkplease posted:

Yeah I went to school in the area also, so was cool seeing Octane and such. But guess I haven't been to Lenox since I moved away so didn't recognize it.

poo poo, I was convinced that Octane was just a visual car joke. Like, I was convinced they made a coffee shop from the ground up just because Edgar wanted to put a little joke about how Baby was fuelled by 'Octane'.

Now I'm imagining how giddy he got when he found out that there was a coffee shop named such, and it's giving me kinda :3: feelings.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I say side-quel. Show us what Doc was getting up to when not delivering heist plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Real shame that he never got the ending to Shaun where he's arrested for Murdering all of those people. Even if they were zombies.

• Locked thread