Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Colonel Whitey posted:

Even though Hot Fuzz is still my favorite I disagree with this, like, a lot. SP and TWE might not have the same joke density or whatever but there's a much more interesting, character-driven story underlying both films than there is in Hot Fuzz. I think a valid argument could be made that they're better overall movies.

The World's End was significantly worse than Shaun or Hot Fuzz. Attempting to tackle themes like becoming an adult and alcoholism didn't really made the story any deeper or more interesting, but it did make it less funny and slower paced.

I've rewatched the first 2 tons of times, and I don't think I'll ever have a desire to see TWE ever again after the one time in theater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Saw it. In my opinion it was good, but not great (actually as the above poster said, "liking, but not loving it" describes what I felt well). I'd put it behind Shaun, Hot Fuzz, and Scott Pilgrim, but it's still a solid movie. Not sure I'd ever have a desire to rewatch it like I do those other 3.

I felt like the narrative didn't really go anywhere interesting, and the climax fizzled.John Hamm's character became annoying rather than actually threatening by the end, and the final fight/chase in the garage was a huge let down compared to earlier chases, and sort of wasted the Queen song. Also Kevin's Spacey's character arc seemed strange and out of the blue to me. I honestly just had a hard time feeling invested in Baby or Deborah, although Baby's relationship with his step-father was great, and by far the most genuine thing in the movie character wise.

That said some of the earlier chase/fight scenes were fantastic, especially the shootout synced up the music. It was also nice seeing Atlanta featured so prominently, since I live here.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 28, 2017

• Locked thread