Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

General Dog posted:

The action got better, everything else got worse.

Even though Hot Fuzz is still my favorite I disagree with this, like, a lot. SP and TWE might not have the same joke density or whatever but there's a much more interesting, character-driven story underlying both films than there is in Hot Fuzz. I think a valid argument could be made that they're better overall movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Good news:

https://twitter.com/edgarwright/status/846551961897881600

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Megasabin posted:

The World's End was significantly worse than Shaun or Hot Fuzz. Attempting to tackle themes like becoming an adult and alcoholism didn't really made the story any deeper or more interesting, but it did make it less funny and slower paced.

I've rewatched the first 2 tons of times, and I don't think I'll ever have a desire to see TWE ever again after the one time in theater.

Fair enough if it's just not to your tastes, but being less funny or slower paced doesn't make it categorically worse.

Also this post is hilarious

Junior Jr. posted:

I'm a big fan of Edgar Wright's work, especially the Cornetto trilogy and Scott Pilgrim,

because these are the only films he's directed (I'm aware of Fistful of Fingers but that only played in one theater, come on)

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 28, 2017

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Yeah you're right I just assumed we were talking movies since, you know, CineD.

Also holy poo poo I haven't seen that Pizza Hut commercial, that is great. Nick Frost cameo!

Junior Jr. posted:

and that one theater you're thinking of is the Prince Charles Cinema in London, unless it also played somewhere in a US theater years later.

I think I recall him tweeting about a one-off screening in the States sometime last year. It would be cool if it got a Blu Ray release, or even just included as an extra on Baby Driver like he did with Dead Right on the Hot Fuzz disc.

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 28, 2017

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Junior Jr. posted:

That's okay, I got what you were saying but hopefully that's cleared up now. :)

Just don't assume I don't know poo poo about my favourite director ever. got it? :smuggo:

No problem! I generally do assume that since it's so rare for me to find someone who even knows who he is. I should respect anyone posting in an Edgar Wright related thread!

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Here's a new trailer, with a few new bits. I still like the first international one the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR8cerFfWZo

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

PotatoManJack posted:

This looks fun. If they stick to what this movie is supposed to be (John Wick of Car chase movies), it'll be great.

That's not what the movie is supposed to be

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This thread is now the Bad Opinion zone apparently

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

sean10mm posted:

On the bright side it appears everybody likes Hot Fuzz!

Also it's CD so what were you expecting? The rear end in a top hat level can only go up, up, up! :getin:

My rear end in a top hat is ready

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Also the two trips to the convenience store. That movie is so loving good.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

New tv spot, it's very good as tv spots go

https://twitter.com/edgarwright/status/859481093371604992

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Nice, Baby Driver is an NBA Playoffs sponsor and is getting some good NBA themed prime time ads already on TNT. Looks like Sony is putting some actual money behind it, I hope it means it will do well.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I think if anything sinks it it will be the fact that Elgort is the lead, I don't think there's much recognition or affinity for the guy.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Thanks guys, you made the fact that I'm terminally old and uncool seem encouraging

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

New poster is pretty slick

https://twitter.com/edgarwright/status/862740350305095680

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

New trailer. Reactions to preview screenings on twitter have been consistently glowing. Less than a month away!!

edit: how about I just embed the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zclDC3xt5AA

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 1, 2017

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

That interview pretty clearly states he had the idea well before doing that video, and used his idea for the opening scene as the premise for the video.

E: also I just realized, why is the subtitle for this thread not The Fault In Our Cars

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Junior Jr. posted:

Also I miss the old thread name. :(

Well I came up with this one so I'm pretty sure it's better :colbert:

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

How has this not been posted yet? It's fuckin cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J1xlZtCoDk

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

gently caress yeah. I'm seeing it tomorrow also. I was gonna see it tonight but a friend surprised me with getting me into a Spider-Man screening, which I almost turned down because I'm much more excited for Baby Driver.

On the Variety Playback podcast, Wright said that he actually paid for extra shooting days on this because the studio wanted to cut the foot chase. The man is dedicated to making the best movie he can possibly make.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This was fuckin killer, the best action movie since Fury Road and probably a while before that. I guess I kinda echo that it's not my favorite Wright movie but that isn't saying much since I adore every film he's made. Elgort surprised me with how much I liked his screen presence. I may have slightly hyped in my mind how much the music was going to sync to the action, I thought it was going to be nearly wall-to-wall but holy poo poo the sequences where it did were so phenomenal. Some genuinely emotional beats too. Overall this was extremely satisfying, go see it.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Crappy Jack posted:

That being said, I felt a little bad for the family that brought all those 8 year old kids to my showing. Deeeeefinitely not a family film.

I mean it's R rated, what the gently caress were they thinking?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I seriously can't get over how great the cinematography was in this movie. Wright and Bill Pope do such a good job of framing shots and filling up the frame, which is something many action directors don't do. The opening shot where the car rolls up and the wheel of the car takes up the entire frame instantly feels so different from other movies. Most other movies would be pulled back a bit in that shot to show more of the car.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Lots of swears for parents who care about that sort of thing and also Kevin Spacey's death is pretty gruesome.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

For people interested, Wright talks a ton about the Ant-Man debacle on the Happy Sad Confused podcast. He apparently spent 6 weeks waiting on Marvel's writers to return a draft of the script (that they were writing without his and Cornish's input) and in that time spoke to a bunch of director friends who told him to walk.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

That's quite a turd of an ad but it's kinda neat that they're trying to ride the Baby Driver wave, that means it's doing well.

That said Logan Lucky looks fun. Like a white trash Ocean's Eleven.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

The Hocus Pocus and Tequila scenes were outright magical.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I think I read that the studio was expecting around 20 mil for the weekend so looks like it outperformed, which is great.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Never crossed my mind that he was anything other than a good Samaritan veteran.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

The moral stance of the movie is basically "there are consequences to your actions whether you're the one pulling the trigger or not. You can't just hide in your own little world with your headphones on and not be a part of the evil poo poo happening here." With regards to Doc, you get the sense that he has never had to make an emotional decision like that in regards to his crew because he hires nothing but scumbags. So he waffles between his desire to pull off the heists at all costs and his paternal instincts towards Baby. He's a conflicted guy and I can buy that enough to accept the decisions he makes in the movie. Fair enough if you find him undercooked though.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Z. Autobahn posted:

But like, IS that the stance? I don't feel like the movie ever comes down hard on Baby for his complicity in any of the heists, and basically seems to side with the jury at the end about how he's just such a good guy, exploited by bad guys, etc, etc? And even after he's decided to 'face up' to the consequences, he's still carjacking dudes at gunpoint and stealing their phones so he can enjoy their music, stealing cars left and right, etc? Like, the movie feels like it wants to have its cake and condemn eating it too, making its lead an unabashed good guy but still having him do all the crime that's fun and cool? I feel like Joseph pretty much embodies that, with his whole 'don't give me your dirty money' and then happily taking it for a nice home one scene later.

And for the record, I'm *not* coming down on it from a moral standpoint; I LIKE movies about ruthless amoral criminals. What's bothering me is the way it seems to want to simultaneously have its good guy by this moral saint who's so above the world of crime while never risking actually condemning him or questioning his complicity in the crimes?

And seriously....... WHY does he insist on doing the heist when he's got a clear out?

I think you're reading it in a very weird way. I never thought Baby was supposed to be a "moral saint" as you put it, he's a fundamentally good guy who made some bad decisions and got himself into a world of poo poo. That's why he still has to do his 5 years before parole at the end. The movie is trying to have the audience side with him even though he's complicit in the criminal world because he never really asked for that life and is trying to get out. (by the way are we still doing spoiler tags in this forum or is it just a free for all at this point?) After a certain point in the movie the crime never felt fun and cool. Seriously that Tequila scene, while you get a sort of frisson from the action syncing to the music, is pretty tense and scary. Same for the foot chase. I mean it's "cool" in a filmmaking sense but it's tense and has a sense of gravity and danger. So I don't really know what you're talking about.

Baby agrees to do the heist because Bats is acting totally insane and he has nobody to back him up if he says no. He thinks it's safer to agree to do the heist and sneak out. After he gets caught and is exposed for having tapes he has no opportunity to get away, again I don't know what you're talking about.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I can totally buy that in the moment Baby thinks the safest play is to just finish the job, keep his head down like he's always done, then escape later. You're absolutely right that his decision to kill Bats was spontaneous. Seeing the clerk on the street and having her life be threatened was the last straw. This is the part in the movie where his character has a turning point and actively puts himself in danger to save someone else.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Junior Jr. posted:

Huh, I didn't know he had that and the Crawl script in mind years ago, interesting.

Also I miss the old thread name. :(

Hey what's up man, I'm just curious, have you seen this yet and did you like it?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

If anyone can make sense of this mans tweet I would appreciate it

https://twitter.com/hideo_kojima_en/status/882224421804556288

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

The last half hour of Hot Fuzz (from the granny kick on) is the best half hour in the history of film

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Apparently Sony wants a sequel and Wright didn't dismiss the idea. I think it's a risky idea but as long as he's got something in mind that he's passionate about it could be okay, I don't think he's capable of making something outright bad.

http://collider.com/baby-driver-2-edgar-wright/#ansel-elgort

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Spergatory posted:

Another fun bit: in he script, immediately after the line "If you never see me again, it means I'm dead," the stage directions read 'We never ever see him again.'

Yeah that was a super fun detail he talked about on some podcast (the Empire spoiler special I think? I listen to too many podcasts). Another thing I learned from that podcast is that during the long steadicam one-r the graffiti is all digital, and it changes to fit the song when he comes back out of the coffee shop. That's so cool, I didn't notice when I first saw it.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I mean you're dealing with career criminals, you're going to get a mixed bag no matter what

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

They did do it for real, it's a pretty sick stunt imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

What's awkward about it?

• Locked thread