Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Hat Thoughts posted:

This was a lot more downbeat (in the like, bummer sense) than I expected, really liked it though.

Yeah, it was interesting to see how it starts off as kind of a fun typical Edgar Wright thing (mirroring how Baby is ignoring the cost of what he's doing), and then gradually starts to turn into a full-on 70's gritty car chase drama.

That being said, I felt a little bad for the family that brought all those 8 year old kids to my showing. Deeeeefinitely not a family film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Colonel Whitey posted:

I mean it's R rated, what the gently caress were they thinking?

Parents don't pay attention to stuff like that, obviously. You can ask the family who brought their 6 and 10 year old sons who sat next to me at an IMAX screening of Watchmen all about it. I mean, it's a superhero movie. Superhero movies are for kids! Likewise, this is a car chase movie about a guy named Baby, obviously it won't involve multiple homicides and a man getting violently impaled through the chest

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

I don't normally lavish waves of praise upon a movie but after having seen this about 18 hours ago, I have to say. The one thing I really took away from this movie is that it is nothing like anything Edgar Wright has directed previous. Yes, it has some of his tricks throughout, but if you went into it having zero idea he had directed the movie before, you absolutely couldn't say for certain that he directed this. Between Hot Fuzz, Scott Pilgrim, and this, I have to say that Edgar Wright has absolutely established himself as a director with a wide range of ability. He absolutely earns bragging about the lack of any CGI throughout the movie, as well as taking Ansel Elgort, who has been in absolute loving poo poo of teen novel adaptations, and making him act his loving rear end off between Kevin Spacey, Jon Hamm, and Jamie Foxx - I really do think Edgar has paved the road for Ansel to have a long acting career for the next few decades. He was a phenomenal character that I don't think Michael Cera could have come close to. The use of music was constant and fantastic, and the way Baby Driver works with that gimmick is absolutely phenomenal. Baby Driver drips with style and is absolutely one of the top 5 movies of the year so far, and I strongly suspect it will be my Hell or High Water of 2017.

An absolutely phenomenal film that earns every bit of praise it gets. Really shocked at just how well Edgar Wright operates out of his element and I hope it gets him freedom to direct whatever the gently caress he wants the rest of his career.

Yeah, it somehow manages to be as good as anything out of the Cornetto Trilogy, while at the same time somehow not really feeling anything like the Cornetto Trilogy, incredibly stylish directing aside. I was expecting a lot more Spaced-styled whip pans and transitions, but he tries something new with this, and it definitely feels like a director who has the confidence to not reside in his safe zone.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Coffee And Pie posted:

A bad ad:
https://twitter.com/loganluckymovie/status/877964627254140929

That read as "I've never spoken to anyone about this but I've read the word a thousand times" which is a fun bit of character development

At first I was like "Oh, cute, he's that kind of nerd I was, where I just read about stuff I liked and never talked about it", and then it dawned on me that he's lived his entire life LITERALLY not having anyone to talk about music with, despite it being pretty much the fundamental joy in his life.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 30, 2017

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Fangz posted:

So what happened to No-nose? Does anyone know?

As far as I can tell he just ends up being some small-time crook who doesn't gently caress up the job and therefore doesn't get shot in the face, takes his cut, and waltzes out of the movie. I like that they bothered to show that, yeah, Doc sometimes just pulls in random crooks for small-time jobs, and assuming they don't gently caress anything up, that's that.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

RideTheSpiral posted:

this film would have been a million times better with simon pegg, mark heap, michael smiley and nick frost instead of real actors

But Edgar Wright already made the Blue Song music video, that would just be redundant.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Unoriginal Name posted:

The movie is an editing masterpiece but like a 4/10 on the "ridiculous car stunt" scale.

It's no Blues Brothers on that front, that's for sure.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Spergatory posted:

After listening to quite a few interviews, I am coming to the realization that Edgar Wright is sort of, like, sort of, basically, like sort of, sort of like, basically kind of terrible at talking.

He'd be pretty ace on your bar trivia team, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8wwAXaSO0o

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

Has someone here explained why Baby said "yes" to doing the last job after Kevin Spacey was ready to call it off? He was planning on leaving that night so why not just say he wasn't gonna do it then leave in peace?

Also my brother saw Ansel Elgort a couple years ago in a Games Workshop painting Warhammer figures

When Spacey was saying he was going to take Baby home, Bats jumps in and offers to drive him instead. If Baby fucks up the job, there's about a 99.9% chance Bats is going to murder him for loving up his robbery. Same reason why Buddy goes along with his story regarding the gun deal, they both know that pissing off Bats has only one outcome.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Spergatory posted:

CJ Jones is a boss and apparently the first black deaf actor ever to be cast in a major motion picture. Which is, you know, pretty cool. I don't know why Edgar Wright wanted Baby to be raised by an old deaf black man, but I'm glad he did, because CJ Jones is a boss. Also helps balance out Jamie Foxx's Scary Black Man and add a much-needed splash of color to a cast that is painfully white for a movie set in Atlanta (which is 54% black people, for those who didn't know).

Kind of a weird thing to be impressed by, but the marketing for this movie has been really on-point and I think a large part of why it's doing so well. This right here is pretty much a perfect summation of the movie's premise and it takes about 15 seconds.
https://twitter.com/edgarwright/status/888448197332418560

I think the deaf foster parent thing was a nice way to show that kind of gap in Baby's life. Music is so important to him, but until Debora comes along, he doesn't REALLY have anyone to talk about it with. Somebody pointed out that when he talks about "Trex" instead of T-Rex, it's not just because he's a little bit of a dork, it's because he's literally never had an opportunity to speak out loud with another person about the music he likes so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Coffee And Pie posted:

With any other director, I'd say yes, but this is Edgar "made the lights in the window of a moving bus heart-shaped" Wright
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWz6iVw2vxQ

The lights on Scott's side are heart-shaped. At the beginning, the lights on Ramona's side are shaped like evil x's, but as she's won over, they too turn into hearts.

• Locked thread