Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

punk rebel ecks posted:

I want to get a futon for cheap. But I don't think it's wise to get one used as it could have bed bugs. I was thinking of getting a frame used, and then purchasing a new mattress separately. Though it makes me wonder, if mattresses for futons are univesal or specific to each frame they come on. Anybody know?

Futon mattresses are generally universal, but they're generally very similar to one another. Your best bet for that kind of mattress is from a furniture store, as bed specialty stores are unlikely to carry such things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

neogeo0823 posted:

I've been reading the thread, and I think I need a purple mattress in my life. Can anyone comment on the original vs. the new versions? My wife and I are side/stomach sleepers, and I'm mostly looking for something that sleeps cooler and is more supportive than our current 12 year old not-pocket-coil mattress. Does the new purple really have that much going for it over the original that it justifies the much higher price?

Purple will certainly be supportive; it's suprisingly firm and bouncy. It will not be particularly soft. You may be able to try Purple at a Mattress Firm, depending on where you live, though your options to try may be limited.

Foam cores in beds-in-a-box are not something I would consider to be especially high quality--but virtually anything you can find over ~$600 will be an upgrade over a connected coil unit. The Purple hybrids have encased coils instead of foam cores; steel is more expensive than biab foam cores, thus the dramatic price increase. I think the new hybrids are also quite a bit softer than the classic Purple, on account of allowing for more contouring with coils than with a foam core.

DaveSauce posted:

Hey bed thread.

So I've been on-and-off researching memory foam beds. I've never slept on one, but the coil mattress we have is probably 15+ years old so we definitely need a new one.

A while ago I came to the determination that Loom and Leaf is our best option. Can't remember exactly why, but I had read several sites and made that decision. It's the memory foam bed made by Staava.

However, I have not seen that one mentioned in this thread (though I mostly skimmed so I may have missed it).

Anyone have experience with that one?

Looking over their website and marketing, I gotta give them an A+ in style; holy poo poo they are disingenuous as hell though. It boggles my mind they would compare their product to a Tempur Cloud Luxe Breeze, and they only show superficial nonsense. Regardless, the product specs look OK. Judging solely from those specs, that bed is going to be quite firm. I've sold things with 5 pound density foam, and that poo poo is not soft. I was going to write a lot more, but I'll simplify it as much as possible:

Of the online offerings I've seen, it looks to be among the better ones. I take umbrage with a lot of their disingenuous marketing and pseudo-diagnostics, though. Investigate their return/exchange policy (e.g., see if you have to take your own steps to donate the mattress to charity to get credit from the company for your refund, or other things similar), and if it is satisfactory, it may be worth trying.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

neogeo0823 posted:

So, I actually went to a Mattress Firm today with my wife. They didn't have a Purple mattress on display, which was my main goal to see, but they did offer me some insight on their side of things. They told me that they actually see a ton of returns on the Purple, mostly because it apparently doesn't sleep as cool as people hope it will. They also showed me the Serta iComfort Blue Touch 1000, which was admittedly really comfortable. I'm not married to the idea of Purple, but I do sleep like a furnace, and so cooling is the prime need for me in a bed. I'm trying to remain as impartial to one bed over another as I can, especially as I'm not gonna be buying for at least the next few months. I dunno.

Synastren, what do you think? Just to recap, my wife's a side sleeper, I'm a side/stomach sleeper, she can sleep on whatever, and is always cold, I sleep like a furnace and need something to get the heat off my head and body at night. It really seems like I'm not gonna get to lay on a Purple without buying one, and I've heard some stories re: their return process taking a long while, and after today I'm just not sure anymore.

If you really want to go the Purple route, the Firm can still provide one for you, even if you don't get the opportunity to try it. If you're in a market where they don't carry one, and you don't like it, the return process through Mattress Firm will be incredibly painless since your return will provide the market with a model to show in a clearance store. This happened in my market--an online purchase turned into a return, and now my market has a single Purple to show. If you do happen to go the Purple route, you 100% need to tell your sales guy that there is a line item in the system to put on your invoice that allows for a free return/exchange, which is one of the two exceptions to our policy regarding returns/exchange.

If you and your wife have no issue with pressure on your hips/shoulders when sleeping on your side, the BT 1000 is a perfectly fine mattress. That's the first mattress in our foam lineup that will really start to show any active cooling technology in any significant way, aside from one really gimmicky cheap one that we recently discontinued. I don't think that the cooling in the BT 1000 is so strong that it will be uncomfortable for your better half, but it will certainly help you. If you have more specific questions, shoot me a PM!

legsarerequired posted:

I've heard great things about Tuft & Needle but I remember there was a mattress sales professional in the earlier pages of this thread who warned against T&N but didn't go into specifics beyond it being over-priced. I know lots of people in this thread love the Purple, but can anyone speak to good or bad experiences with T&N?

Hi!
While I've softened slightly on how I feel about T&N's offerings, I still maintain that their product is too expensive for what it offers, which aligns well with shame on an IGA's experience. Mattress Firm tulo line is very similar to T&N's two core lines (tulo LIV is almost identical to the original T&N; the tulo collection roughly equates to the Mint) while being at least $100 cheaper, with an added benefit that you can try those mattresses in store. I recently had a T&N showroom open in my city, so I've been able to see how they present themselves, and try their product more thoroughly; this is why I've toned down my distaste.

Casper can still go gently caress off and die, though.

The key thing to keep in mind with BIAB experiences--especially online purchases--is that people seeking those products are usually trading a failing (or failed) mattress for one that is in good condition. As such, those new beds feel amazing and they get raved about. The vast majority of folks only think about their mattress when something fails, or just after something is replaced. We'll start getting a much clearer picture of the long-term performance of BIAB products in the next couple of years. T&N started in 2012, and Casper started in 2014, so only the earliest adopters of T&N have passed 5 years of ownership.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

So uhh I’m looking for a cheaper king size mattress, preferably one that is available on amazon. The problem I am finding is that these foam mattresses all have a layer of glass fiber as a fire retardant inside the outer cotton/whatever layer which in turn has a non zero % change of making it outside and into my clothes and skin.

Do any of these companies not use this material? Should I just avoid these altogether? I’m really hoping to spend under $500, so just let me know if I’d be better off getting a cheap innerspring one from a local store.

As far as I know, the fire sock that you object to is pretty ubiquitous with foam mattresses. In fact, there are a lot of mattresses that use that flame retardant, independent of construction. I wouldn't be particularly concerned about that getting to your skin. Generally speaking, I think that foam is a better option for the lower end, as economy class foam is still superior to the types of coil units in similarly priced mattresses. In my own store, I would certainly be inclined to recommend foam over innerspring for that price range.

There may be a fair amount of Black Friday deals going around for foam mattresses, across most bed in a box companies. Expect to get an OK but not mindblowing product, regardless of whose product you decide to pursue!

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

My question isn't so much which mattress I should get (like I can afford any of these) but size. I'm stuck with an inconvenient queen bed and I'm thinking of downsizing. Is twin xl too small for someone 5'7, 120 lbs?

Twin XL is the same length as Queen or King, but is the width of a Twin. It would be 8 inches wider than half of your current mattress. TXL is most common in firehouses, call rooms of hospitals, and college dormitories.

K = 76"x80"
Q = 60"x80"
TXL = 38"x80"

:eng101:

It's up to you if you'll be comfortable with that amount of room.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm seeing Black Friday deals on Macy's website - are those actual good deals, or are those "we kicked the price up a few hundred bucks this week so that the 'discount' looks amazing!" deals?

As a general rule, super cheap sets that are being advertised are not particularly good beds. They're not sold to make money, they're used to get folks to look at better things. The other mattresses with savings are p. OK, but they're also not as discounted. We have analogous models to the BR silvers and platinums, and they're decent beds... and we have them marked at roughly similar prices.

RFX posted:

I think I'm finally going to pull the trigger on a Casper mattress. However, the whole foundation/box spring thing is confusing me. Can I use the box spring I have from my old mattress with the Casper? Guys in the store seemed to say no but I don't trust them. Everything I've read online has been even more confusing.

Obligatory "gently caress Casper."

Broad strokes: if a manufacturer makes and sells a support for the mattress, you need to use theirs. Platform beds are always OK (as long as they have 2 inches or less between the slats, or are a solid piece, they are platforms). Adjustable bases count as platform beds, and are fine as long as the mattress is adjustable base compatible. Online companies may not play by the same rules as everyone else does (Purple strongly recommends using their platform or their adjustable, will tolerate other platforms), and so their relationships to boxed foundations are... iffy.

ed: To be clear, it's for warranty reasons. If your foundation is sound, the mattress will function as designed.

Synastren fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 24, 2018

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Uziel posted:

I’ve had a TempurPedic mattress for about 10-11 years now and I’m having some low back pain every morning now. For the holidays, I slept on an air mattress and felt instantly better. I’m not sure if this is my mattress degrading or what but I’m not sure what to do here. I sleep on back, sides, and stomach regardless of the mattress type. Any ideas?

I’m 6ft2” and about 215lbs. This is a king size if that matters.

Sorry for the late reply, this slipped right by me.

Hard to really pin down without knowing more. Is the back pain a relatively recent development? Is it something that goes away as your day goes on, or is it persistent? Do you feel it as you go to sleep, or does it greet you when you wake up?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

I. M. Gei posted:

I just bought a mattress yesterday and I really wish I remembered this thread existed before I did. I’ve been getting all my advice from the Product Recommendations thread in PYF.

I ended up getting a Beautyrest hybrid and I’m pretty nervous about it.

I’m a little surprised to see so many positive reviews for Purple mattresses in this thread, considering the company has an F with the Better Business Bureau.

What hybrid did you get? Beautyrest is a generally solid brand, so you should feel comfortable in your purchase.

I can't weigh in much on Purple; while we can sell them, I have no direct experience with the product or the company.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

I don't know what area of the country you're in, but temperature can play an instrumental role in how firm or soft a mattress will feel. If the mattress is significantly foamy, it will be especially sensitive to changes in temperature. Warm temperatures make foam softer, cold temperatures make foam firmer. We're in winter now, and in my home city, we're looking at some quite cold temperatures, and our distribution center is not heated aggressively (seriously, it's a huge building that is minimally staffed), and because of that, our foamier beds can feel like bricks on arrival.

Now if that customer's salesperson did not explain that, that's a strike against the sales associate.

Additionally, BeautyRest smushes the hell out of their beds with an industrial roller to minimize break in time, so it makes sense that yours would feel similar to theirs. You also shouldn't notice too significant a change in how the bed feels over the next few months.

Finally, you didn't get swindled at all pricewise. In fact, I would imagine someone is going to be in some poo poo if anyone in authority discovers the sale.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

ntan1 posted:

Has anybody tried Airweave before?

PS: Super firm mattresses rule

I've never heard of them before, but it's gotta be firm as gently caress. Like, a plastic mattress has to be almost as firm as a latex mattress, right?

Besides, it comes from Japan, and the vast majority of the rest of the world (read: not North America) seems to go for firmer mattresses in general.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Dazerbeams posted:

I’ve had a saatva for about two months now. When I was younger, I would have detailed and story-like dreams. Those went away at some point in my adult life, but have made a strong comeback in recent days. I’m not sure if this is a selling point or not. This has been my experience thus far.

I really like my crazy dreams and I’m glad they’re back.

Tangentially related to my current career (such as it is), I was a cognitive psychology phd student (I was the OP for the thread linked under my av). Generally speaking, it takes approximately 15 minutes to encode a memory into long term memory. That includes dreams, and oftentimes for us to remember dreams from the middle of the night, we must be awake for 15 minutes or so just following that dream. There's a lot of really fuzzy stuff surrounding lucid dreaming, and I would personally infer that training to remember dreams involves finding ways to regain consciousness in a limited fashion in stage 1 sleep.

In other words, you are likely regaining consciousnesses for brief periods during the middle of the night. Whether this affects your energy or focus is something you can answer yourself! In my professional opinion, if you are suffering no ill effects, and you like your bed, then I think your purchase was a good one.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

It was me Austin.

Except I’m extremely poor so I have no cash to hide :(

I hide most of my cash in my couch, honestly.
that's where the coins fall out of my pockets

:negative:

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Has anyone tried the difference between the original Purple and the "new" Purple?

I'm moving to a new place and want to invest in a new mattress. I like really really soft mattresses.

Is it worth getting a huge fancy new mattress or should I just get a really good, soft topper?

I'm not entirely sure what the difference is between the "old" and "new" purple, except I know that the classic purple mattress is their polymer on a foam core, and the purple mattresses with numbers (e.g., purple.2) are their polymer on coils. And while I haven't had the opportunity to try the purple 2 yet, my colleagues described it to me by saying it, and this is a direct quote, "feels like a goddamn trampoline." It is apparently bouncy. Not surprising, given that it's basically rubber on a steel coil.

As to your subsequent question, that really depends on a lot of factors. There is a distinction to be made between the comfort of a mattress and the support of the mattress. The support is the lower chunk (e.g., foam cores, firm coils, soft coils, air chambers, etc.), while the feel is the upper chunk (e.g., pillowtops, memory foam, etc.). There are variations in both categories, and they can mix and match. There exist firm pillowtops, for example, which combine an extremely firm coil with a very soft pillow top. There are also hybrids which have firm memory foam with plush coils.

When people buy toppers, they are adding another layer to the comfort area of the mattress--essentially piling more on top of what the mattress came with. If you are European, for example, the tradition may very well be to have a minimal mattress with a focus on the style of topper to add the desired comfort. If you are in the US, our mattresses are not so minimal, and so you can get mixed results by adding a topper. But the easiest way to think of toppers is like adding a condiment to a prepared sandwich: sure, you can but ketchup on that Reuben to change the taste, but if you don't like that type of sandwich, why even bother getting it in the first place?

In other words: Go try some beds, and see what feels right. You should be spending time laying on a few in the same position you spend the most time in bed, and you should be looking for pressure and pain in your hips, shoulders, and lower back. If you have external pain, likely you need a softer comfort. If your back is flexing up or down, your support is wrong for your body type--if it's really off, your support and comfort is way off. If your neck gets achy, the pillow is the likely culprit. And if you find nothing that strikes you the right way, you can always fall back on your topper strategy.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

garfield hentai posted:

I've seen Ghostbed mentioned in here a few times but does anyone have any actual experience with it? I've had my current mattress for probably 11 years and it's saggy and uncomfortable, but I can't really afford anything too nice right now. I got a $300 Amazon gift card for Christmas and that's pretty significant for me right now so I'm trying to get one I can actually buy on Amazon. I was thinking about T&N since they seem to be pretty well regarded by most people itt (except for the guy who actually knows what he's talking about ha ha), but my biggest concern is that I'm a sweaty fucker and I dunno if the foam will make me a sweatier fuckier. The Ghostbed has a lot of latex foam which is apparently nice and breathable, and not knowing anything about anything it seems from a cursory glance that even though it's a bit more expensive it might be a better value than a T&N due to better quality materials for the price. Any thoughts?

Latex is only breathable because it is perforated. On its own, latex is no more breathable than any other kind of foam. I'd suggest ghostbed of T&N, but I don't have a particularly high opinion of T&N, so...

Any foam mattress that does not have specific design considerations regarding heat build-up will sleep warmer than a comparable traditional mattress. There absolutely needs to be some sort of heat conductance, some phase change material (PCM), and/or convolution/perforation/extremely large cell structure. Foam does not breathe like fabric and coils. :v:

You may want to see what local retailers have on offer for that $500-is price point, if that's what you've budgeted for a bed you can't try until you buy.

I'll get to a longer post regarding material quality later today Teabag Dome Scandal, I'm just typing this before heading off. Edited it in below!

neogeo0823 posted:

So, I only just remembered that while I'm definitely looking for a new mattress, I'm also looking for a new pillow as well. To recap from my last post, I'm a side/stomach sleeper who sleeps like a furness. My pillows have often been horrible, hot, wet, smelly messes after I wake up, and at this point, if I'm going to invest in a whole new mattress, i should also invest in a good pillow. Anyone have any good recommendations there? I tend to wrap one or both arms around the pillow where my head rests, so while i don't want a giant foam brick, i also don't want something that's so thin i could wear it like a bib.

Hit up Bed, Bath & Beyond and look for some Therapedic pillows. They tend to cap around ~$70, and they feel real good, especially their cooling ones. None of the pillows we carry in my store meet the criteria you've described. :smith:

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Can you comment on what you consider good vs bad latex? Do you feel like it is mostly dunlop vs talalay or can you tell the difference between good dunlop and lovely dunlop? Is there any way for the consumer to tell the difference by inspecting the foam itself? Latex seems like it has the potential to be the most transparent from a component assembly perspective but I have no idea how wide a range in quality of components there are and the only comparisons are ILD and density.

Talalay is always superior to dunlop due to the fact that they are the same basic material, but are made differently. Simply put, talalay latex is vacuum sealed in its mold, then frozen; this maintains a more even distribution of cells and density. Dunlop latex, in contrast, tends to show a settling of particles towards the bottom of the mold, resulting in product that is usually denser and heavier at the bottom than at the top. Dunlop is generally firmer than talalay for that reason.

As for density and ILD, those are the primary measures of quality in both foams and latex. Density is a measure of the weight of the foam--one cubic foot (or one cubic meter, depending on where you live) of the material is weighed, and thus we get the density. Less air == more weight, and is therefore considered to be of higher quality, as that means a more tightly packed (read: dense) cell structure. ILD is an acronym for Indentation Deflection Load. ILD is a good thumbnail for how firm of a feel the product will have: the larger the number, the firmer the material.

High quality memory foam has an additional measure, Thermal Gradient (TG), which denotes temperature sensitivity, with a lower number being more sensitive to changes in temperature--and therefore considered more luxurious.

If you know all of those things, you should be able to infer quality: Talalay is better than dunlop; denser is better than looser; firmness needs vary based on individual. Note that better always means more expensive, however. Talalay latex requires additional steps and care over dunlop processed latex, and denser material requires both more careful engineering in its construction as well as more raw material for the same volume.

quote:

I went to a local place that assembles and sells their own latex mattresses. The sales guy opened up the cover and it did little to impress me. The support layer appeared to be a 4-6" core and the comfort layers were a 2" and 1" topper. This was a flippable mattress but they were asking $2500 for it which seems insane given how many places sell covers, cores, and toppers. I'm pretty confident I could build something similar for easily half that or less if I don't make it double sided but I guess a common refrain is the MSRP markup is usually that high in mattress stores anyway?

$2.5k is actually reasonable for a mattress with 2 inches of talalay latex, much less 4 inches. Retailer markup on bedding is roughly similar to markup in all areas of retail; there's nothing special about this industry, with a few exceptions.

There is a reason that the greater mattress industry went to single-sided mattresses about a decade ago: if you only have comfort material on one side of the mattress, there is less expense in creating better products. A lot of local manufacturers continue to make double sided products because there is a sizable contingent of the bed-buying demographic that does not see the value in changing that fundamental aspect of mattresses. Were you to try to assemble all of the components and create it yourself, it would be cheaper, just like if you were to build your own computer rather than purchase it pre-assembled. After all, if no one puts it together, the expense of paying technicians to create the final product is just not there. However, you would have a more difficult time securing material of the same or similar quality, as bedding materials are not exactly easy to come by individually outside of the industry. And I'd be shocked if you created something that is as flame resistant as what mattresses legally need to be for public sale.

Foam mattresses look exceptionally unimpressive on the inside, because everything is just... well... foam. They are sheets of expensive polyurethane and/or rubber that are expensive to produce, last a long time, but look like the same stuff in your insole. We sell a $4000 foam mattress which is absolutely wonderful; it is just a beige disappointment to look at on the inside. Hell, $5000 tempurpedics have convoluted foam as their base layers, and it looks identical to the cheap "egg crate" foam toppers you can get at a Walmart or Target. :v:

I hope that helps you! If you have any other questions, :justpost: or send me a PM.

Synastren fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 31, 2018

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Thanks for the writeup!! I knew talalay is considered better but a lot of places seem heavily invested in "its not necessarily better, just different!" which obviously feels like marketing speak for a cheaper but similar component. I do think Dunlop is probably better as the core for support and a few inches of the good poo poo on top strikes me as probably the best way to do it especially as a back sleeper. Would you tend to agree? I feel like using cheaper/firmer poo poo for the core and softer pieces at the top is fairly standard as far as construction goes.

On top of that, and this could just be a mental image that has no chance of happening, I feel like if the core stays in good condition, but my needs change from a comfort perspective, replacing the top few layers will likely be cheaper than replacing the entire thing if that becomes necessary.

I would absolutely not want to use or misuse products that aren't appropriate as far as fire safety goes but it seems like a lot of the latex companies have their cases available for sale and some will custom make them for you if you need a specific height. I'm certainly not trying to cut safety corners or anything like that to save a buck.

It sounds like as far as the foam is concerned, the density in particular will be a good gauge on quality and comparable quality. My understanding is the ILD can be a bit deceptive because density can affect the "feel" of two comparable foams of similar ILD? Is that correct? It's a gauge but not as reliable as density?

I also took another look at that $2500 mattress and it appears they have a 6" core, a 1" layer, and a .8" (wtf) inch of quilted latex whatever that is. And then 1" of wool on both sides in the casement. Probably just a super soft layer with that quilted latex?

Thanks again for taking the time to write all of that up!

The cheaper core is what they're already doing, because base foam is cheaper to produce and has generally uninteresting properties. Using latex for a support layer has not happened in quite some time, if only because it's bouncy like a spring AND kinda solid like foam. Having a gradient of firm-to-soft from bottom-to-top is basically how mattresses work in general, though, so your thinking is spot on. I've tried beds which have firmer foams on top of softer coils, and they feel strange. And for what it's worth, the few inches of good poo poo is what seperates a $2000 mattress from a $1000 mattress--the good poo poo is expensive to produce. Hell, there is a pair of mattresses on our floor that have identical coil units, but one is a hybrid and one is traditional. The cost of changing from a traditional top to a memory foam top (and the memory foam is middle-of-the-road in quality) is straight up $500. And I think that's only about two inches of mid tier memory foam.

The wool is an interesting component because it isn't really used in bedding for the fluffy feel. Wool is instead used for its innate breathability (why it is used in high end clothing and textiles!) and for its flame resistance. There are two major ways manufacturers make flame resistant mattresses: thick wool layers, and flame resistant socks.

Sheets of latex is also common. There are nearly $5000 beds with 2 inches of latex, and they come in two 1 inch sheets. The thickness of layers of a material matters almost as much as the density and ILD of a material on its own. We had a pair of beds (now discontinued) that had 4 inches of the same foam, but the [clearly] softer of the two had two 2 inch sheets, while the firmer of the two had a 3 inch sheet on top of a 1 inch sheet. I'm not an engineer, so that was an interesting discovery for me to make that I don't have the background to explain. :v: Likely the .8 inch quilted latex started life as a 1 inch sheet and the quilting punched it down a little bit.

As for density and ILD, those measure two very different things. Density is literally a measure of how much air is in the material, with denser having less air. But denser also necessarily means that people will be more buoyant in it, and therefore sink less (think fresh vs. salt water in this case). As a good heuristic, denser foams will also necessarily have a higher ILD due to that, though I suppose it is possible to engineer a strong foam with a very airy structure. That's why rarely will you find mattresses with one or two pieces of product with the same density and ILD.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

sugar free jazz posted:

I recently got a medium firmness queen Tulo and I'm pretty happy with it, but it's just a little bit too firm and sleeps a little bit too warm. The soft was too soft though, so I was thinking maybe a topper might be a good solution? I'm not really sure honestly whether to go for a topper or try a different mattress. Was hoping for some suggestions on that and for possibly good toppers.

You may be in the unique situation where a topper could make a difference. How long have you had it? If you're clocking in under a month or two, it may very well soften up enough for you naturally without the need for a topper to soften it. To expedite that, try walking on the bed. The direct pressure of your weight confined to a small area will assist in making the break-in process much faster.

Terminus posted:

Looking at new mattresses(my old one is a 10+ year old spring mattress) and noticing that Zinus brand stuff is really cheap with suspiciously good reviews all around, even on mattress review sites. Anyone have experiences with these? A full for about $250 seems like a steal compared to other companies.

The longer I do this, the more I'm convinced that this is one of the few remaining industries where "you get what you pay for" seems to be fairly reliable. Most of these bed-in-a-box products, especially the cheap, double especially the imported, are quite new and people who purchase them are transitioning off of really lovely mattresses. Given that virtually any new mattress will feel better than any failing mattress, and that folks tend to review things within the first few weeks or months, there isn't a good barometer for products and companies this young. In my city, we're now starting to see folks who bought bed-in-a-box products matriculate into our stores at around the 5 year mark who are profoundly unhappy.

This does not mean it will be you--you may be able to drop a couple of benjamins on a cheap biab mattress and be perfectly happy! I just want to underline that you should take reviews with a heaping helping of salt in this instance.

Imaduck posted:

I've had a "New" Purple King.3 [...]

As far as I know, the new Purple mattresses are hybrids instead of being their polymer on foam. And yeah, they're pretty pricey!

I've not had the pleasure of trying any Purple, but I've had the Purple 2 described to me succinctly as "a goddamn trampoline," and was wondering if that was a relatively apt description. The polymer has to feel kinda like super dense latex, right? And to put rubber on springs has to be extraordinarily bouncy?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Laserface posted:

Im shopping for a new bed, currently sleeping on a inner spring mattress that is old and poo poo.

it gets complicated because my mother works for Sealy, and can get us great deals on their mattresses.

unfortunately, my partner really likes Tempur foam mattresses. I found them comfy too but they are way beyond our budget.

Are they any better than mattresses in a box type beds, or are they largely all the same wrt materials and comfort?

I didnt find it hot to lay on, and I am a hot sleeper, but we were in an airconditioned store. We have AC, but summer here gets super hot, and I imagine that a foam bed absorbs and retains a lot of heat (for example, like when its a hot summers day and the AC is not running while we are at work)

Tempur and Sealy are the same company, so it's very likely that your mom can get you deal on those, too.

Otherwise, I'll investigate some options for you when I get free!

ed:
I missed this in my original read.

NO traditionally sold all foam mattress is like a bed in a box product. They are more expensive, and the material tends to be considerably better, last longer, and perform at a higher level. Feel is subjective, but I've never felt a bed in a box that felt as good as a "traditional" all foam mattress, regardless of brand. This isn't to get in to differences between brands or collections (e.g., an iComfort feels fundamentally different from Tempur, which feels different from something like DreamBed Lux, etc.) but just to say that beds-in-a-box are sold at low prices for some very strong reasons. :v:

Synastren fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 21, 2019

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

cheese eats mouse posted:

I'm torn between two mattresses. I loved both of them, but the more expensive one is from a local company, 10 year warranty, been in business for 40 years. The other is the big name Sealy, but I can't find the specs on it to see if there is another brand cheaper with similar specs but better materials. I've heard newer big box mattresses are just crap now with planned obsolescence. I'm willing to pay a little more if it means it lasts longer with the bonus of supporting local.

I'm a side sleeper that sleeps hot and I'm somewhere in the medium range when it comes to beds. I really liked the feel of gel over latex, but it could be from the particular model I tried. Also since I'm single I latex have allergy concerns for any stranger that might want to sleep on my bed.

Here's the local mom and pop: http://www.bowlesmattress.com/Products/Mattresses--By-Category/Hybrid-Mattresses/233/Hybrid-Gel-Memory-Foam

Here's the Sealy I liked: https://www.mattressandmore.com/category/mattresses/thorton-plush-euro-pillowtop-queen-mattress.html

I can't tell much from the Bowels mattress, but it seems like a decent enough mattress. It seems like it was built with many of the same design philosophies of a Sealy posturepedic (i.e., center support primarily through gel infused foam). I have no idea what in the hell their edge encasement is, but it seems like some proprietary coil unit? Stearns & Foster experimented with that a few years ago, and then TSI rolled it out on pretty much all of their inner springs.

Local business is generally something I will support, but I'm somewhat apprehensive about the unique guarantees of local manufacturer/retailer set-ups. I have some competition in my market with some intriguing guarantees that also have significant down sides. For example, a local competitor will allow you to send your mattress back to the facility free of charge (or for a nominal fee) to change the firmness or softness. This process may take a week or two, but you can do it every few weeks if you are so inclined. The issue is that if you send it back, you are bereft of a bed while yours is being modified. Their warranty for their proprietary products has the same circumstance.

The Sealy product you linked is similar to (or slightly upgraded from) a model we used to carry a few years ago. It was a very solid midrange product, but the cushion firm variation was much more popular than their pillowtop variant. My personal observation is that Sealy excels specifically in the firm-to-medium feel, and doesn't do plush well in comparison to pretty much everyone else. Also, it seems as if you're shopping at an establishment that likely inflates an "MSRP" number to make non-sales look more impressive. Sealy specifically says that the Premium collection starts at $1499--which is what that website prices the Thorton.

Latex allergies are almost exclusively contact allergies, so if you get an allergen barrier protector, you should almost completely eliminate any danger of allergic reaction to you or a sleeping companion. Furthermore, gel infusions in foam are not for cooling properties, but for increasing the density of the foam to be more supportive. Phase change material (PCM) is the only active cooling agent in wide use in beds. I don't want to unpack that here; this is dense enough as is, and I haven't even tackled your concerns regarding longevity, or made a recommendation. :v:

A 10 year warranty is industry standard, and you will be hard pressed to find that anywhere that isn't making their own stuff. And local places will generally have immense markup on their products to make up for the relatively low volume they do in comparison to larger companies. I know our local competitor has to do only a fraction of our business for each store to turn a profit simply because of the profit margin of making their own stuff. That 10 year warranty exists because market research shows that the average time a mattress is kept is approximately 9 years. If you know that the vast majority of your customer base is going to keep a mattress for 9ish years, why would you market a warranty for much longer than that?

I honestly don't expect you would see much difference in performance between the two products you listed, and I would encourage you to see what the return/exchange policy is for each place of business. Try the mattress as thoroughly as you can in-store in any way you do at home--try sitting on the edge and tying/untying your shoes, or lounging on your side, or whatever it is you do, but with your pants on. Also, you should 100% see if you can cajole some additional savings out of the Sealy product if you want to go that way, because it appears that Mattress and More (??) likes to pitch non-sales as savings events. gently caress that approach imo.

PS: If your local guy knows what you're measuring them to, they should be a bit more enticed to beat the major retailer. Get a quote for the Thorton, bring it to your local place, and see if they can work with you.

Godspeed. :patriot:

bewbies posted:

So the wife came back hard on the mattress issue and I think we finally found what we want: https://www.lebeda.com/product/opulence-pillowtop/

So this I think has everything that I've been wanting and or told is good: pocketed coils, a micro coil layer, all talalay latex foam (I think 8 inches total, 2 for the pillowtop and 6 for the main part), and very plush. Wife loved it. They offered delivery and disposal and setup for $3900, all in (king). This seems like a pretty solid deal...most other mattresses I've seen that are around those specs are $6k+.

Any reason not to pull the trigger on this? Company seems legit, sales guy was very good.

They also had a straight talalay mattress that was I think 9 inches for $2k. I loved it but wife wasn't as into it. That is a drat miracle substance though.

Wife also really liked the Tempurpedic "TEMPUR-LuxeAdapt", but it looks like it'd be about $1500 more even without a power base.

gently caress I dislike Lebeda. I want to respond to this more aggressively than I should here, but I want to know what your local options are. If you don't mind, post here or PM me with what city you're in (or near you) so I can see if I can speak directly to what options you may have!

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

shame on an IGA posted:

Foam bed in a box, comes highly compressed at a better than 4:1 ratio in a box! The queen tuft & needle ships 16"x16"x44", others should be comparable, twins should be tiny.

Just don't open it until it's where it's going.

Count Roland posted:

Cool, didn't know those existed. I guess they're impossible to compress back down to the small size?

Bed in a box is pretty much your best option to get it their easily. Any all foam mattress will work, since they can all bend.

And they're so compressed because they're rolled up and vacuum sealed. I guess you could technically get it back in that shape, but it would be... difficult.

There are a lot of bed in a box products, so I'd suggest you just chase the best price, as I don't think that you will find a lot of difference in quality. tulo, Tuft & Needle, Casper, Purple classic, Nectar, etc. I'd be super careful of anything under $300, but that's just, like, my opinion, man.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Count Roland posted:

Any thoughts on futons? I just laid down on some today and they felt about the same as a mattress, and since they can be folded they also meet my needs.

I mean if all you want is a glorified pillow, go nuts. There's not any structure or anything to a futon. If you're young, you'll probably be OK.

I slept on a futon through high school. In retrospect it sucked, but I made it through OK.

18 Character Limit posted:

I imagine that they also have industrial machines that will roll and seal them. (Edit: T&N's unboxing video: https://vimeo.com/138112674 That kind of compression requires more than a vacuum cleaner)

Tuft & Needle did recommend not leaving them packed that way for more than a month. I think they have a sale going on now too.

Yeah, the vacuum sealing process weakens the cell structure.

And every bedding retailer is having a sale. President's Day is the first major sales holiday of 2019. The second and third bookend the biggest mattress selling season (Memorial Day & Labor Day).

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

DaRealAce posted:

Not sure if anyone has run into this but I bought one of the top of line Purple Mattresses ($~3,000).

I like it but I don't know if there something better out there for me.

So if I were able to take advance of their 100 day policy, got a new mattress (with a similar policy (as most seem to have them these days)) and then decide that I actually liked the Purple the best does anyone know how Purple would handle that type of situation?

Thanks

Go to a bed store and try some things out. If anything really tickles your pickle, you can pop back by and ask for a more dynamic solution. Just returning the Purple to get a new mattress and then maybe go back to the Purple i guess is extremely wasteful of your time, money, and the beds themselves.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Tab8715 posted:

Is there a quick verdict on which online mattress company a the best?

Purple, Casper, Parachute, etc.

gently caress Casper.

Tuft & Needle is owned by the same parent that owns Serta and Simmons.

Purple partnered with Mattress Firm and is kinda overloaded with demand, so lead times might be a bit stretched? I know in our markets that carry their beds on the floor, they're looking at month+ lead times for delivery.

I have no strong feelings or information on any other online companies.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Here you go!

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

yaffle posted:

Summer is coming, and in light of that I'm looking to sleep more comfortably. Given that I am a small (fat) furnace and my wife is some kind of lizard who complains of imminent death if the A/C is on I'd like to get some sort of cooling mattress pad/topper, what should I be looking for?

Broadly speaking there are two methods to cool sleepers: passive cooling (heat conduction and ventilation) and active cooling (materials designed to feel or be cool, e.g., phase change material). If only one of you is sleeping hot, my recommendation would be passive cooling products, and maybe combine it with an active cooling pillow.

Protectors, etc:
For passive cooling products, hit up the Frio protector by PureCare, or look into a mattress protector that uses tencel--they will prominently place it if it has tencel. You may also want to consider getting sheets that are completely natural fibers: long staple cotton (Pima, Egyptian) or bamboo are both strong choices to help prevent overheating. Tencel, again, is very good, too. Note that you should ignore threadcount after about 400, and the material is more important.

Active cooling products are going to utilize Outlast fabric and phase change material (PCM) to pull heat away from sleepers. Protect-a-bed makes an excellent Snow protector that is PCM infused that I recommend highly; Bedgear makes a Ver-tex protector that is similar, but a bit cheaper. Neither will be inexpensive, though. Any cooling topper will utilize PCM on foam. We used to sell a topper from Columbia that was pretty fantastic and underrated. Note that Outlast will not feel as cool, but will likely be cooler over the entire; PCM will feel much cooler, but it will feel less extreme after about 20 minutes.

Pillows:
Passive cooling pillows are generally going to be down alternatives that include Frio fiber or some other proprietary filler that is efficient at heat conduction. Active cooling pillows will utilize PCM or Outlast.

===============

Completely unrelated: Do you folks think I should make an [Ask] version of this thread, or is this thread sufficient?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Sentient Data posted:

Trip report: it arrived today, so yeah almost a month of waiting. It's all set up now, and it feels comfy as hell :D

Which model did you get? I'm always interested in hearing about folks' experience with that product as my personal experience is limited to two models (purple.2 and purple.4).

And yeah, their partnership with us has... strained... their production capabilities.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Sentient Data posted:

I went with the purple.2 calking since I prefer firmer beds, and I think it's just what I was looking for. I'll give an update in a few days to see how it all goes. Before this I was just on a 6" full size generic memory foam mattress, so, yeah, it's a hell of a step up

Yeah virtually anything would be a massive upgrade from that. :v:

Did you try it out in a store first, or just order online? We have a couple of demo units in my local market, and folks have been less enthusiastic after trying them than before.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Kitten Nightmares posted:

We compared the 4 Purple versions and weren't too impressed and since he runs very hot and sweats a lot, we thought it might not be the best option. We then started trying out the bedgear M3 Launchpad and were very impressed. I really like that the top layer can be switched out with 3 other special types of tops (which are "coming soon"--the only one currently available is a cooling one which we really like but it's nice to know we might be able to switch it to something else for colder seasons). You can choose different firmness levels for each side so I don't have to worry about being uncomfortable on a firm mattress, and hopefully during the trial period we can just have the springs switched out if our initial picks aren't right for us.

I researched bedgear and their M3 model a bit online after I got home and found out the M3 Launchpad won some innovative award from Popular Science for 2018 and has some good reviews. Last night I read through this thread and decided Casper is a hard no based on their lovely business practices but didn't see any mention of bedgear or the M3. Today we went and ordered it from our local Macy's, which is also giving a 120-day trial period and has a 10-year warrant, although the mattress protector that is required for the warranty was $400 :homebrew:. That saleslady barely knew what we were talking about but eventually found out that they do carry them and they're scheduled to learn about them at a seminar this month. The mattress will be delivered Tuesday.

So did we just make a huge mistake? I'm actually really excited to try it!

It's a bit surreal for me to see Bedgear making mattresses--they make some high quality accessories; I think the mattress should be perfectly fine. The 120 day trial is to match what the Firm does (which is fine), but it might not be quite as easy to work with in the event of an issue; 10 year warranty is an industry standard thing. The mattress protector is generally not required for warranty, but most of my competitors require it for the trial period. And you definitely got fleeced for the protector, because the most expensive protector that we sell (and popular opinion is that we're expensive!) is ~$200 in queen (240ish in king). I'm personally leery about any bed that is modular, and we've had similar pick-your-sides support style beds before. They are very much a love it or hate it product, with the majority not exactly loving it--note that if you rotate this beastie, you and your sleeping partner will need to switch sides. :ssh:

Aside from the protector, I'd say you did pretty well, considering your sales folks were garbo. If you're cool with the unique ups and downs of that style of mattress, I have no reason to think you won't be quite happy with it!

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Panic Restaurant posted:

So I've been looking into mattresses for a bit now, but it's making my brain explode. I'm currently sleeping on some 10+ year old mattress that's saggy and starting to hurt my back. I went to a couple of stores and tried out several mattresses. I really liked a Bellanest Pillow Top Imperial and a Serta Perfect Sleeper Select Dalewood Plush, but I got home, did some research and read nothing but bad things about pillow top mattresses.

I'm real tired of going to mattress stores and doing hours of research, so after reading this thread, I'm considering trying one of the online bed in a box brands, maybe Purple or Leesa. I'm typically a back sleeper but I move constantly so I rarely wake up in the same position, and I tend to sleep fairly hot. 5'4" and around 200lbs if that matters at all. Looking for a Twin around $500-600.

Any recommendations? Thank you mattress sages, please save me from this recursive research hell.

My major recommendation is that online beds generally are subpar. Most folks have great experience with them not because the product is good, but because their old bed was failing them pretty miserably. :shrug:

That being said, you should check and see if you can try any of the ones you are interested in (Tuft & Needle has some storefronts, Purple can be tried at some Mattress Firms and some Macy's [I think], Casper is in some Targets, I think Bed Bath and Beyond has a bed-in-a-box). Ultimately, though, there isn't a huge difference in quality among BIAB products, by virtue of them all being similarly priced and made of similar materials. As you sleep hot, ventilation is likely the best feature to look for to assist in your heat problem.

Purple is very unique, so try it if you can; it is the one least like the others. Failing that, Avacado seems to be held in very high regard, and Nectar has an OK reputation. Capser as a company sucks butts, but their product is OK. tulo tends to be a bit cheaper, but also fairly good and is carried at Mattress Firm, so you can at least try it.

We've had a few posters in this thread swear by their Purple, and a couple who liked their Tuft & Needle.

redreader posted:

We're both hot sleepers and our house gets hot in summer. We have a tempurpedic which is reaching the end of its life. I got it in 2008.

Given that we're hot sleepers, it looks like memory foam is a bad idea? If we want a nice cool 'normal mattress' what kind of options are there? Our budget is probably no more then 2500, we'd want to buy the mattress and frame. We could go higher I suppose or if there's something good for $500 or $1000, great. We're both lowish 200's, not tall, and have a queen. We could do king or queen.

Memory foam in 2019 is quite a bit different than memory foam in 2008. In fact, some of the coolest beds we carry is all foam; finding a set for 2500 or less that will be both foam and cool would be tricky, depending on the feel you're looking for. And King tends to be $400 more than Queen in general.

Without knowing anything else, I'd recommend checking out Beautyrest hybrids (likely Recharge or Platinum, depending on who is around you), or the Sealy chill hybrids. If you want more specific guidance, feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll give you some suggestions based on what Mattress Firm has.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

clockworkjoe posted:

I have a ~15 year old coil mattress that I want to replace. I've been to some local stores to try out a bunch and I've narrowed it down to something in the $500-$600 range. Still not sure if I should get foam or coil but I do have a few questions

1. I assume I should get a mattress protector from amazon? They are way cheaper than anything offered by any of the stores.

2. How can I tell if the box spring needs to be replaced as well? If so, what should I look for?

1. If it's much below $40 (assuming Queen), it is likely garbage. Unless there's some perk to getting it with the retailer you are going to go with, there's no downside to getting one elsewhere.

2. Make sure your foundation is completely level: no dips, no sags, no fractures. If it's completely flat, you're probably OK. If it sags even a little, you'll want a new one because it will cause disproportionate wear on the new mattress.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Kylaer posted:

I have had a Tempur-Pedic mattress for about eight years (I believe it's a Cloud) and it seems like it's wearing out and starting to sink. The array of options for a potential replacement is baffling. I like the idea of a hybrid mattress, I think, but after reading that article about mattress marketing I feel like I can't trust anything I read about mattresses, nor can I trust what a salesperson in a store tells me. I'm a consistent side sleeper and I like a fairly soft bed, and I tend to overheat easily. I'd feel okay spending up to around $3000 if the quality was equal to the price. The Purple hybrid mattress (the 3" or maybe 4" version, I dunno) seem like they might suit my goals but the reviews on Amazon of Purple products are not good at all. Memory foam, latex, whatever the Purple material is, what should I be looking at?

If you have a Tempur, chances are you'd likely feel most at home with a memory foam or hybrid. I've been selling beds for a while now, and can only tell you that there is no hard and fast rule for what you need. Honestly, I'd probably direct you towards a BeautyRest hybrid (platinum, Black if you go to the Firm), or maybe BeautyRest Black foam or Serta iComfort. As you're coming off of a luxury level all foam mattress, you'll be fairly sensitive to beds-in-a-box most likely, as the relative density of foam in them is laughable compared to high dollar offerings. Depending on where you are, you may be able to find other lesser known products; if you find anything in particular you're curious about, post it or pm me and I'll give you my honest assessment of the product.

If you like your Tempur (or did), then Purple is literally the furthest possible feel away from Tempur. The Purple hybrids are hella bouncy (turns out that rubberized polymer on springs is extremely elastic!), if nothing else.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Kylaer posted:

Synastren, I must say that I appreciate your information, but for everyone looking at buying a mattress, gently caress Mattress Firm. I bought a very expensive Beautyrest hybrid from them, it felt good in the store, but when I actually sleep on it and the foam warms up, it becomes too soft and my hip sinks in and it hurts. Fair enough, these misjudgments happen and I wasn't upset over it. I've slept on it for a few nights and it's definitely not improving so I call them and ask them to return it.

They won't take it back until you've held it for 21 days, and on top of that they're going to charge me a huge "restocking fee." Now I'm upset.

I will never buy a mattress from anywhere except Costco again in my life.

Your salesperson was poo poo.

PM me your sales order. I'll see what I can do.

ed:
To clarify:
I don't know what market you're in, so I'm not sure what product you got, but your salesperson hosed up in several ways.
1) There is one specific BR Black hybrid that is notoriously hot. If your salesperson didn't qualify that you already slept hot, that's a massive oversight on their consultancy part.
1a) As an aside, some folks do not consider that better foams are generally temperature sensitive and therefore get softer with heat. This is a delightful combination with the above.
2) There is some extensive receipt paper that every associate should go over with every guest making a purchase to discuss the terms and conditions of the sleep trial. This absolutely should be discussed before you walk out of the store, and likely mentioned earlier.
3) The 21 day period is there to ensure that you are not returning a mattress because it isn't yet broken in. Store models are often well broken in because it is more important to convey what the mattress will feel like for the majority of the time you have it, not what it feels like for the first few weeks. It can be overridden with authorization.

Sounds to me like you got someone that was some combination of lazy and desperate, and that's a goddamn disappointment. I can call you from my store after you shoot me your details, then I'll summarily start rattling cages.

Synastren fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 2, 2019

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

redreader posted:

What's the deal with getting rid of your old bed?

Do most mattress companies pick up and dispose of your bed? For a fee or for free?

Depends on the retailer, depends on the state, sometimes even depends on your local community.

CA has a recycling fee, for example. :shrug:

Mattress Firm includes haul away with the delivery fee* (79-99, depending on where you live), and it's a coinflip whether the retailer of your choice will charge for delivery and/or for haul away.
*you could also pay the Firm a delivery fee just to haul away an old set

Conversely, some communities (your town, maybe your living community) will do a semiregular "large item haul away" with this in mind.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

So I still love my Purple but I thought it was going to be better about sleeping cool. I wake up sweatier in this bed than any other.

I've only tried a couple of Purple models; I honestly have no idea what to expect wrt cooling performance, honestly. What kind of sheets and/or mattress protection accessories are you using? You might be interested in my next response.....

Annath posted:

Yeah, cool is probably 2nd most important after "can I afford it".

While you can go for kinda anything, you'll likely want to lean more towards a traditional style mattress with that price range. You've got quite a few options available to you, but I have yet to see a hybrid or all foam below ~1600 that is legit cooler than an innerspring. The costs of making a legit cool layer of foam are a lot higher than you might expect since foam is innately less breathable. Honestly, though, I think your best bet would be to get a queen mattress somewhere around that $1k mark (if you go to Matt Firm, look for Sleepys Slumber or Reserve models; elsewhere, anything around that price will be dependable), and to spend the rest of your budget around cooling accessories and sheets.

When it comes to cooling, there are two strategies: active and passive cooling. Active cooling involves some sort of material that will provide an actual cool feeling, whereas passive cooling will generally just not get particularly warm. Active cooling in bedding is primarily through phase change material (PCM) which provides a fairly intense feeling of cool for about 20ish minutes of contact before gradually getting warmer; anyone who says otherwise likely is romancing too hard on the technology or doesn't know any better. Passive cooling is primarily achieved through breathability and conductivity of heat: tencel, bamboo, and long staple cottons (e.g., Egyptian, Pima) are go-to words to look for. There are also proprietary textiles (e.g., Outlast, FRIO) that perform pretty well. You can find these materials in pillows and mattress protectors, but do not neglect your sheets.

Pro-tip for sheet purchasing: ignore thread count, look at the material. There is no reason to go above ~600 thread counts. You want to get high quality materials (see above) over thread count. If you get warm, avoid synthetic materials whenever possible.

redreader posted:

Thanks for your posts Synastren. Looking online, this is the best place near me. Do you know any of the brands that are in stock here? https://bayareamattressoutlet.com My wife and I want to go there tomorrow.

Glad I'm being helpful! As trite as it sounds, the only reason I stick around this job is because I enjoy educating and helping folks. :shrug:

Simmons and Serta are all I recognize, but that doesn't mean anything about the relative quality of what they have, and I am generally very fond of Beautyrest. I'm happy to answer whatever questions you may have about products you see there, though!

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

I'm not entirely surprised that we're hearing contrary experiences with Purple's sheets: they're 10% spandex, and Purple says they're "bamboo based." And their protector has got to be warm AF, since it's polyester and spandex.

Spandex is a tricky textile that (in my own anecdotal experience) is quite warm.

It would not surprise me, however, if folks who just want a cool bed are happy to have a bed that feels cool initially. Meanwhile, those folks who sleep warm are much more interested in how cool they stay over the course of the night. I expect the Purple textiles are extremely good in the former case and likely awful in the latter.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

redreader posted:

BAMO was closed so we went to Mattress Firm and then Mancini's. We asked for a 'cool hybrid' for under 1500 at both places. We have a broken frame and a tempurpedic box spring that is fine. We were looking at queen size.

Mattress firm: Offered a 'beautyrest recharge hybrid' for 1599 (200 discount for 4th of july, so 1399... call it 1400) with a remote control frame that sits you up like in a hospital bed 'free today only' (otherwise for $500). We liked the yellow firmness. The guy said the protector was free and was needed if we were going to return it. Delivery is $100. To return you need to pay yourself to get the mattress back there, and the restocking fee 'exists but I don't know what it is' said the salesman.

Mancinis: Took us straight to a mattress that felt really, really cool initially and seems to have stayed cool for at least a few minutes while we sat on it. The firmness was also really good. It was a stratus hybrid plush gel. It seemed nicer than the beautyrest. The price was 1180 for mattress and box spring, but 1000 for just the mattress. The guy said that the frame (we need one) is 69 but half price when we buy a mattress. Mancini's has free delivery and my wife mentioned that their return policy seems better: 99 to return anything with no restocking fee and then you get your money back or change the mattress

So that's it. We went to 2 places and really liked the stratus. We liked the beautyrest but why pay $400 more for something we like a little less?

edit: stratus https://www.sleepworld.com/mattresses/sleepworld-designs/sleepworld-designs-stratus-hybrid-2-0-plush-cla-hyb-3m-pl-19-config
it's a mattress in a box? or not? I can't really tell.

this is the beautyrest I think. https://www.mattressfirm.com/simmons-beautyrest/recharge-greenmont-13.5-inch-hybrid-plush-mattress/mfi127921.html
the one I looked at was 'dawson firm' and did not have the word 'greenmont' in the title. Disregard the frame/headboard.

Dawson is a solid model. It's a unique feel (BR plush coils under extremely firm memory foam), carries a full 10 year warranty as well. I'm not entirely convinced it sleeps particularly cool, though, so you'd probably want to supplement it with cooling accessories if that's a high priority. I personally don't feel like the Dawson is particularly firm, but that's a somewhat subjective judgment call.

The Stratus mattress is 100% a bed in a box product. The website says it "ships compressed" which is a euphemism. While I have some reservations about beds-in-a-box, I think it'd be alright if you're looking for a 5-ish year turnaround time, and would be shocked if you get much more time out of it. The few hybrid BIABs I've tried have been underwhelming. Their edges seem to perform poorly, and I'm not comfortable with how the vacuum sealing process would interact with coils.

Some exposition on your MattFirm experience:
I think your associate did not properly communicate a lot to you. In no particular order:
- The free adjustable event had a lower minimum over Father's Day weekend, but it's still in effect in the price you are looking for; further, if you want to substitute the free base for traditional boxes, you certainly can.
- Restocking fees are generally 10% on an exchange, 20% on a return.
- Corporate policy is that the protector is not required for an exchange or return--with the massive caveat that if it is stained or soiled, you can't exchange it.

There might be some variations in the different major geographical areas of the country, but I'm pretty comfortable with those statements.

All of that being said, there are two things to consider here:
1) In my opinion, virtually any traditionally shipped mattress will be at least even or better than virtually any current bed in a box of a similarish price.
2) Mattress Firm has a price match guarantee, and while the Dawson is objectively better than the Stratus model, certainly the company would be interested to know what they are competing against. This includes the exchange/return policy, though an area manager would likely need to get involved at the point of sale to ensure a note is made on your invoice.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Two posts for legibility!

Broadly speaking, there are three major Sleepy's innerspring lines:
Hush (which you did not ask about)
Slumber
Reserve

There are a few differences in foams between each of the three, but there are two particularly tangible feature differences that the Reserve has that the Slumber lacks:
1) Micro coils. These provide more buoyancy to the mattress, and generally give a "meatier" feel to the bed. It's a way to add some additional support without adding additional firmness.
2) Handles that are box stitched to the side panels. They're actually load bearing!

Note that the primary coil units on all three models are identical, however, so the differences across them are entirely in the comfort layer of the mattress! I also personally am skeptical of their cooling gel claims; they are roughly the same temperature as any other traditional style inner spring mattress.

I would expect Reserve models to maintain more of their firmness in the long run compared to a Slumber, if only because of the micro coils.

As to the difference between the Reserve Plush and Pillow Top? The PT has more soft stuff in it, and it's not stitched down as tightly as the PL.

While not exactly informative, I can tell you that you picked the least popular Slumber model to ask about, and the Reserve PL is a particular favorite in my market. We sell a ton of them in my store, more specifically, and that's a bed that I recommended to a fellow goon, even!

I can drill down deeper if you want, but sometimes even going into that much detail makes folks' eyes glaze over. Did I give a good enough response?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Annath posted:

That's very informative, thanks!

I kind of arbitrarily picked those models after Googling the model keywords you referred me to earlier.

If the pillow top is sqishier, then I'd probably go for the Plush.

I really need to figure out what mattresses and pillows Hilton stocks in their Doubletree/Hampton Inn/Garden Inn properties, because, due to traveling for work, I sleep on them fairly often and they're just the right level of firmness and coolness.

For what it's worth, I've positively matched the BeautyRest Bay Spring well against more popular resort hotel mattresses. And you can likely call a hotel and ask what kind of pillows they use. If it's not some super generic thing, it is likely something Serta makes.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/06/18/mattress-firm-tempur-sealy-sterns-foster-tempur-pedic/1485463001/

This is a thing that happened.

Expect some big floor model sales from Mattress Firm, likely in the next 4-ish months.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I looked at the original Purple and I like the price, but having a hybrid mattress would be nice. I’m just not sure if doubling that price will double our comfort. It looks like they're doing a 4th of July "sale" by having 10% off everything if you buy a mattress. Is this a legit sale, or one of those where they jack up the price 15% then "discount" it 10%?

Side note to the Mattress Firm guy: your posts rock and are super informative. Thank you for all of your posts in this thread.

It's a "legit" sale. Purple loses (or nearly loses) money on the Classic and the 2 at full price iirc. And MattFirm doesn't do the furniture store style mark-up-to-mark-down strategy.

For what it's worth, the Purple.3 is their best selling model.

That car salesman experience described earlier is 100% true of bed salesfolks a few years back. We're trying so hard to change that perception by enhancing experience, but it's difficult.

And I'm glad I could help! If you have MF questions hit me up. I think I've been generally helpful to to the folks who have sent me questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Annath posted:

I'm interested in the Purple 2 (or 3, I'd need to try them out), but they're pricy even at a Queen and not King size.

I see Mattress Firm offers a payment option, so I'm wondering if I could put down most of the cost up front and pay off the rest over a few months.

If you go through the no interest payment option through MF, it's a credit card through Synchrony bank. The length of time you can take it interest free is based on how much you wish to finance, not so much how much your total is. The general heuristic is that your monthy payments through Synchrony will be < $100/mo. There are two other financing partners: Genesis (which is super rare and seems to be like a credit line that isn't exactly a credit card? it's weird), and Progressive Leasing.

You can make in-store down payments in conjunction with Synchrony, you cannot with Progressive. I do less than one Genesis transaction per calendar year, so I'm pretty unfamiliar with its specifics, unfortunately.