Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In an interview last week, Willits said that players who want to can play a single character, a Champion named Ranger, for free. Or they can buy the Champion Pack and get unlimited access to Ranger and all his other friends for a fixed price.

“At its core, it’s a free-to-play game,” Willits said, “with the option to buy the Champion Pack and just get in and play with all the Champions. There are a number of Quake players that just want to play their Quake, right? And they are familiar with the business model of our previous games, and they are totally fine."

Players who buy the Champion Pack — the de-facto full-price version of the game — will get Ranger and all the other Champions that the game launches with. Everyone else will be able to pay the in-game currency, called favor, to play other Champions for a finite period of time.

But, there’s other ways to burn off excess currency as well. Players can spend favor on backpacks, which will enable them to take on rune challenges. Succeeding at a rune challenge will grant players reliquaries, which they can open to reveal new Champions and new skins.

“We do feel it's more approachable,” Willits said, “and we feel that with our team game modes, and then especially our dual mode, that we can fill a hole that's missing in esports today."

“We do have a really nice advantage, because lots and lots of the pro players got their start playing Quake. And yeah, they're playing Counter-Strike: Global Offensive now and, Overwatch, but their first love is Quake. So we want to get that critical mass where you have enough players and then we want to ... expand our competitive play, our league play as we move into late this year and next year.”

play other Champions for a finite period of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

arena fps is dead

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

One Man Trash
Jun 6, 2013
the quake-playing hime

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i have a feeling that F2P is never going away, but i loving hate it

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the only good f2p game is path of exile, because theyre really strict about it being cosmetics only. and they're rich. makes you think

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

In an interview last week, Willits said that players who want to can play a single character, a Champion named Ranger, for free. Or they can buy the Champion Pack and get unlimited access to Ranger and all his other friends for a fixed price.

“At its core, it’s a free-to-play game,” Willits said, “with the option to buy the Champion Pack and just get in and play with all the Champions. There are a number of Quake players that just want to play their Quake, right? And they are familiar with the business model of our previous games, and they are totally fine."

Players who buy the Champion Pack — the de-facto full-price version of the game — will get Ranger and all the other Champions that the game launches with. Everyone else will be able to pay the in-game currency, called favor, to play other Champions for a finite period of time.

But, there’s other ways to burn off excess currency as well. Players can spend favor on backpacks, which will enable them to take on rune challenges. Succeeding at a rune challenge will grant players reliquaries, which they can open to reveal new Champions and new skins.

“We do feel it's more approachable,” Willits said, “and we feel that with our team game modes, and then especially our dual mode, that we can fill a hole that's missing in esports today."

“We do have a really nice advantage, because lots and lots of the pro players got their start playing Quake. And yeah, they're playing Counter-Strike: Global Offensive now and, Overwatch, but their first love is Quake. So we want to get that critical mass where you have enough players and then we want to ... expand our competitive play, our league play as we move into late this year and next year.”

Jesus

Lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i genuinely cant believe the poe revamp isa free game, it looks fully sick nd i'd definitely pay money fr it

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Perfectly happy with quake like thanks op

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

In Training posted:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

i have a feeling that F2P is never going away, but i loving hate it

I wonder if in the next few decades the period of gaming between arcades and F2P microtransaction marketplaces will be seen as the anomaly to the norm

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

I wonder if in the next few decades the period of gaming between arcades and F2P microtransaction marketplaces will be seen as the anomaly to the norm

league of legends and other f2p crap is wildly successful and when the market smells money..f2p aint going away

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Quake Champions is: F2P; microtransaction market place; genre-blended, multi-mode competitive e-sports; meta-growth, choice + epic Quake Heroes!

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Plutonis posted:

Quake Champions is: F2P; microtransaction market place; genre-blended, multi-mode competitive e-sports; meta-growth, choice + epic Quake Heroes!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I swear the thread title was different when I wrote this post

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

In Training posted:

i would say no, but that might be wishful thinking. kids will have been raised with a good 50 to 100% of the games they play being freemium poo poo with energy meters, cashshops, and pay-to-win. people still love full price premium games like BOTW, though, so i think F2P will get more common, but even someone who's grown up with F2P bullshit will know that it sucks compared to a full game.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

In Training posted:

i think itll stay separate from regular style games

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
f2p and mobile gaming i mean

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee925OTFBCA&t=13s

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

In Training posted:

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

extremebuff posted:

the only good f2p game is path of exile, because theyre really strict about it being cosmetics only. and they're rich. makes you think

And stash tabs.
Hoarding ftw

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

In Training posted:

Players can spend favor on backpacks, which will enable them to take on rune challenges. Succeeding at a rune challenge will grant players reliquaries, which they can open to reveal new Champions and new skins.

“We do feel it's more approachable,”

lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
Champions can fight to decipher Ultimate Runes by spending their Virtue on time-limited Tomes, our exclusive companion app

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Only game to truly get F2P correct is DOTA 2 and path of exile. They only make money off cosmetics and tournaments. gently caress every other game that uses money to unlock characters.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

HolePisser1982 posted:

Champions can fight to decipher Ultimate Runes by spending their Virtue on time-limited Tomes, our exclusive companion app

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

HolePisser1982 posted:

This is a real thing probably, sans the names, which is cool to think about.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Uncle Cuck posted:

This is a real thing probably, sans the names, which is cool to think about.

oh yeah? if you think that's cool to think about, haha, well picture this: waves of tanks and bazooka troops raining fire into bethesda and blizzard's office windows

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
Larry could provide the small arms fire

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Let's go back in time and kill the tf2 dev that introduced the loot crate system

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

:eng99:

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

the new quake isgonna be good deal with it cuckolds.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

ive being calling this game retard champions

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

trying to jack off posted: