Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Get him to toxx for a pic :yayclod:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013
Don't listen to the trolls. I understand enough from one and a half semesters of the architecture program at the community college to know they're just blowing smoke!
You'll be fine if you just stick to your guns and don't give up on this project. I asked a buddy of mine who graduated, and he found a technical document about joist repairs.

Hope this helps!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

bEatmstrJ posted:

I told you exactly what it would take for me to deliver, but since it wouldn't change your mind there was no point in delivering just to make you happy.

But if you'd open your eyes a bit you can see quite clearly in the very pic you quoted that there is an appliance cord connected to the junction box right there just waiting to be plugged in. The plug and outlet are just as accessible as a refrigerator. But this still won't change your opinion.

Nice try. There's no outlet in the picture.

I assure you, my "opinion" of you now is mostly based on you calling people idiots when you're the fuckhead who lets his wife sleep is the room next to this one, when you live in a major earthquake area. Also, I know how many bedrooms your house has. I'd be willing to bet that you have some kids too. If you were smart, you'd move them somewhere else for the time being. But no, you'd rather try to spin this into you not being a dumbass than protect your family.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

man y'all dog piling suck now we won't get any sort of follow up

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Effective-Disorder posted:

Don't listen to the trolls. I understand enough from one and a half semesters of the architecture program at the community college to know they're just blowing smoke!
You'll be fine if you just stick to your guns and don't give up on this project. I asked a buddy of mine who graduated, and he found a technical document about joist repairs.

Hope this helps!

Thank you, that was very informative.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

kid sinister posted:

Nice try. There's no outlet in the picture.

I assure you, my "opinion" of you now is mostly based on you calling people idiots when you're the fuckhead who lets his wife sleep is the room next to this one, when you live in a major earthquake area. Also, I know how many bedrooms your house has. I'd be willing to bet that you have some kids too. If you were smart, you'd move them somewhere else for the time being. But no, you'd rather try to spin this into you not being a dumbass than protect your family.

Why the gently caress would I put an appliance cord in a junction box if I didn't have anything to plug it into? Seriously, you're just trolling for the sake of trolling. No amount of proof would sway your opinion. You probably think the Earth is flat too.

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013

bEatmstrJ posted:

Why the gently caress would I put an appliance cord in a junction box if I didn't have anything to plug it into? Seriously, you're just trolling for the sake of trolling. No amount of proof would sway your opinion. You probably think the Earth is flat too.

You installed a new outlet for that in your ceiling, or did I misread the relevant thread for that project?

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

bEatmstrJ posted:

It's my goal to do everything up to code, and once I get a contractor involved, it's likely there will be permits needed, possibly for other things, which i'll take care of if needed.

This may entail removing the concrete board, vanity and countertop. That's when you'll know how serious you are.

bEatmstrJ posted:

I've done a huge variety of projects in my past (none to this extreme so far), and I know a lot about a lot of different trades.

The question is how will you approach the project after this one.

bEatmstrJ posted:

That being said, my last home had an extensive bathroom remodel without any permits and there were no issues when it was sold.

You might consider rethinking your takeaway from this anecdote.

bEatmstrJ posted:

There's not a lot I can do at this point to get anyone to respect me and I'm not going to try to get people to do that.

I think most people are primarily concerned with what you do going forward. You and your work do not exist in a vacuum. While none of us here may be directly impacted by your actions, many of us have been affected by work done by people with a mindset similar to yours. I'm not trying to sound all holier-than-thou. I've made bigger mistakes than yours.

You've got a lot of years left. Taking on projects like this with a full-time job indicates serious drive. You might consider getting licensed. Owner-Builder experience counts for the application but you have to do it the right way. If it takes ten years, so what, those years are going to pass by anyway, and it may help focus your education. Anyone can do work that skates around codes and permits. Think about who you want to be.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I really am genuinely interested in why you decided to sink the bathtub into the floor, OP. Like, bathtubs are designed to sit at the height they are because that's what works. If they were more comfortable/effective three inches lower, then they would be made that way.

I'm not going to make fun of you. Why did you want to lower the bathtub in the first place?

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

I'm wondering if the OPs inability to realize his limitations only applies to his DIY skills or everything he does. Do you work in sales or marketing?

At what point did you realize you were a DIY expert OP?

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 6, 2017

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Just gonna toss this thread a 5 in case I hadn't already and sincerely ask the OP to keep us posted.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
More like bEaMmsterJ

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
😬

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sagebrush posted:

I really am genuinely interested in why you decided to sink the bathtub into the floor, OP.

I'm not going to make fun of you. Why did you want to lower the bathtub in the first place?
Same.

But I'd also like to know why his SketchUp basically kills the open space feeling of the bath he started with. Looks like he's going for one of those long showers with a bench at one end, two rainfall overheads and a bunch of body-sprays.

But really what's with the tub?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Mode please rename this thread to Groverhaus 2.0. Thanks and god bless.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I don't know if I've enjoyed a thread this much in years.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

FilthyImp posted:

Same.

But I'd also like to know why his SketchUp basically kills the open space feeling of the bath he started with. Looks like he's going for one of those long showers with a bench at one end, two rainfall overheads and a bunch of body-sprays.

But really what's with the tub?

I know we're all thinking that its a disabled kid/wife or something, but my gut says it's going to be something really loving silly like "needed extra clearance for massive light fixture/ceiling mounted TV". But since this thread has been a crazy ride so far I'm going out on a limb and saying the redesign is because he's secretly a polygamist and needs to shower with all four of his sisterwives.

pinkacidbootson
Apr 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

bEatmstrJ posted:

Seriously, you're just trolling for the sake of trolling. No amount of proof would sway your opinion.

Any amount of proof at all might help to sway his opinion.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

My guess is that he was gonna sit the tub inside a shower pan, and have a homebrew infinity edge tub.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

beam I hope you come back because I'm genuinely interested in what the ultimate solution for fixing your beams ends up being and what the goal of the recessed area was as well.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I've decided my favorite part of all this is that the thread has now been linked to in the CineD gen chat thread. Cinephiles are taking a break from discussing Bergman films to laugh at this.

'Bergman's use of light and shadows in this scene really serves to illuminate - if you will allow me the pun - the dichotomy of ----- wait, what? He cut into the engineered joist?? To lower it by how much??'

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Nothing will bring goons together like a botched DIY renovation job.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

bEatmstrJ posted:

Because you're an idiot?

I like how you completely ignored your family's safety.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Someone email the author of that lovely vice article that's about SA history/culture a link to this thread. He can add a link to this thread. It captures what this forum is all about.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Sir AIDS posted:

kid sinister as class is just ending: hey, you forgot to collect our homework

also OP you might want to google how to make a directory not browseable and apply that to your website where you host your images. Or use imgur like any normal person.

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 6, 2017

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Holyshoot posted:

also OP you might want to google how to make a directory not browseable and apply that to your website where you host your images. Or use imgur like any normal person.

Too late. I already archived them, just in case he deletes anything before the inspectors can see them.

Effective-Disorder posted:

Hope this helps!

I finally read all this. This is awesome.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 6, 2017

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

angryrobots posted:

My guess is that he was gonna sit the tub inside a shower pan, and have a homebrew infinity edge tub.

Based on this image:

You are absolutely correct. That looks like it's supposed to be gravel down there, the tub will overflow into it and drain out underneath. If so, then the "what I want to do" part of "only way to accomplish what I want to do" is "create a black mold farm under a water stain sculpture." I think it may be an art piece about the intractable existentialism in the context of our modern socio-political global economy of consumerism or something.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
So the idea is to have a bath with warm water constantly flowing into it?

How utterly wasteful.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Bad Munki posted:

Based on this image:

You are absolutely correct. That looks like it's supposed to be gravel down there, the tub will overflow into it and drain out underneath. If so, then the "what I want to do" part of "only way to accomplish what I want to do" is "create a black mold farm under a water stain sculpture." I think it may be an art piece about the intractable existentialism in the context of our modern socio-political global economy of consumerism or something.

So how much does this tub hold? 80 gallons? That's 300 kg of water at most.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Pissflaps posted:

How utterly wasteful.

The more normal way to to that is to have a pump recirculating the water.

They are not cheap.

http://boingboing.net/2007/03/17/infinity-edge-tub-fr.html
http://www.hgtv.com/design/rooms/bathrooms/infinity-bathtub-design-ideas

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Pissflaps posted:

How utterly wasteful.

Maybe you're okay showering like a normal person and drawing baths just to sit in them, but Beam Master Joist takes baths to the fullest, his tub overflowing.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

angryrobots posted:

I had no idea this was a thing... If so this is going to be hilariously bad. What a bunch if tacky "I've got some money and like nice things" poo poo. Its like a DIY equivalent to buying the most expensive thing in a Skymall catalog.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Beastmaster Jay come back, your tantalizing reveal hasn't been deflated. Tell us what your plan was going to be, and how the only way to do it required sacrificing the structural integrity of your home ahaha

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Wait, I skimmed past the renders... He's putting in a wall?

Taking an open bathroom and adding a wall.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Snak posted:

well yeah, but to balance it out but he's also removing a floor

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bad Munki posted:

Based on this image:

The water outflow is going to feed his basement pool, naturally.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Prav posted:

well yeah, but to balance it out but he's also removing a floor

A much more efficient way to do this would have been to just rotate the floor section up to form the wall.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Snak posted:

Look man, maybe builders grade is good enough for you, but when you have the kind of money he has, you can afford to put walls any where you want.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Snak posted:

The original bathroom had a toilet room and a shower stall of decent size in the opposite corners from the vanities. He took out one of the vanities and is building a massive shower room that butts up against his bathtub.

I have no idea what he's doing with the old shower that was in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
The water overflow is just going to drain down to the lower level where there's another shower, to make kind of a waterfall shower effect of human soup slurry

• Locked thread