Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

bEatmstrJ posted:

Well that will probably just result in people giving me new (soon to be irrelevant custom titles).

I mean the site could use the revenue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

bEatmstrJ posted:

I learned some new things though:
- Bathroom vents with humidity sensors are now required even if you have a window.
- Any light receptacles with screw in fixtures must be connected to motion sensors (even if they are LED) (fortunately I won't have any)
- I probably can't have my shower glass go all the way to the ceiling like I wanted due to humidity reasons.

Those first two points sound like commercial rather than residential requirements. You might want to call your city and ask them. I know in California you can't sell a light without an LED bulb in it (this is why you can't order lamps off target.com for example.) You said you're in LA, do mean city proper or county? Also will you sell tickets to go lay in repose precariously across the cut beams?

The third point is what you want regardless. Or to put your exhaust fan in the shower with you. It will get plenty steamy.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Im in Riverside county like BeatmasterJ and any outdoor lighting must have a motion sensor, must be dusk-to-dawn and also must have LED lights. Even if they're on a switch. We went through 3 different fixtures before they approved our patio cover, our neighbors just went through the same issue.

Outdoor surprises me less. Indoor motion sensors on bathroom lights would drive me mad unless the off-delay is super high and they didn't turn on until you flipped the switch again.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Bathroom\Laundry\Garages must have vacancy sensors now as of this year in CA

Interesting. Thanks! Does this just control the light going off or must it also switch it on as well? Because if it must switch the light on a 1w LED is going in my bathroom with a vacancy sensor.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

got any sevens posted:

Oh gently caress my old job had those motion sensor lights in the break room, on about a 1 second timer. So as people walked in and out to clock in/out or grab their snacks the lights would be flipping on/off every few seconds. It was so stupid and I'm sure it burned the lights out quickly.

Most of those are configurable with a flat head screwdriver. Pop the cover off and there is a set of dip switches. (For future awful motion sensors.)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I don't get YOU PEOPLEs aversion to gently caress palace showers. They are my dream. A friend DIY'd one and it has been my dream since. Sadly it is not worthy of this or the concrete thread, aesthetics aside.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Explosionface posted:

You only want one GFCI device in a given circuit, so a breaker is a reasonable way of doing that. Breakers are more difficult to replace as necessary, but that's the biggest downside, I believe. In fact, as a reference point, I believe that's the standard approach in the UK.

Counterpoint: ring mains

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
OP have you considered wiring everything for 220v your hair dryer will work twice as fast.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Explosionface posted:

Very yes. I almost mentioned it myself, but figured everyone that cared already knew and how terrible they are.

If there is one thing this thread is good at it's running jokes into the ground like this guys bathtub.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Konstantin posted:

Seems like those clear tubs would be a pain to clean, especially if you don't have soft water. Then again, if you can afford them you can probably afford a maid to clean it for you.

CLR cleans anything.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MrYenko posted:

Anything it doesn't clean, it removes, and cleans what's underneath!

Cleans. Anything.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
OP I thought of you this morning on my drive in to work. A flatbed trailer hauling engineered I-beams on the 210 westbound and down, I presume fleeing from you.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

I did the opposite. My whole bathroom is stainless steel. Walls, floor, ceiling - all stainless, all seam welded. When it comes time to clean, I seal up the room as the entrance door is military surplus off of a submarine. I set the wash cycle, and the open shower design allows a high pressure, high temperature spray to reach all corners of the room. Bleach is pumped in through the plumbing, and when it's finished, it all drains through my Asian floor toilet.

How do you generate the necessary pressure to properly disinfect your bathkillroom?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

bEatmstrJ posted:

We keep sales people honest and demo tech to prospective clients. Apparently we are a pain in the rear end to support? I am in Infosec, which makes me the worst.

Which threat intelligence feed company do you work for? Will you give me another ipad if I hear your demo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

learnincurve posted:

It's the last one. The ultimate rich person goal currently is "I'm so rich my house is completely private and my staff can bathe me right here naked on my veranda and no one will see me"

• Locked thread