Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
EDIT: I'm going to quote the most important two posts because they deserve to be preserved forever and ever.

bEatmstrJ posted:

After a long, drawn out remodel of my bedroom (posted in the projects thread a while back), I knew my bathroom was coming next. I spent some time putting together a rough design in Sketchup and got to work. I still have a few months to go before I finish, but i'll post updates as they come. A lot of things are still being decided as I go and I have a very time consuming full time job that I also have to attend to, but I hope to make some stable progress each week. Fortunately, It's been planned out in such a way that I will still be able to fully use my bathroom during construction and I have no wife to nag me about finishing.

Here are some before pics (Here's where you think to yourself, there's nothing wrong with it. Why would you remodel it?)

Here's the rough sketchup design of what the completed bathroom will resemble.

And here's the fun in progress pics. Keep in mind, for the most part i'm doing all of it myself, with the help of a friend here and there, with the exception of tile installation and the shower pan install.

First step was to tear out the right side vanity. I tried to give the vanity away to someone on Craigslist, but that created a nightmare of a process that resulted in my demolishing the whole thing and taking it to the dump.

Installed new plumbing for a conversion to two side by side vanities

Removed the mirror (with a thrown pipe wrench) and the rest of the drywall so I could change some electrical stuff and put up hardibacker

Cut a hole to frame out a 2nd medicine cabinet on the right side

Finished the electrical work for some light up mirrors and added some recessed lighting

Finished framing out the medicine cabinet and added an outlet

Hardibacker was installed (by someone else who had no idea how to install this stuff judging by his seams)

Medicine cabinet drywalled and ready for install

Added some ledger boards for the new floating vanities

Floating vanities installed (plywood added later for new granite)

So long old jacuzzi tub

Breaking apart 2 inches of mortar to get rid of this tub surround. Talk about a pain in the rear end.

A scene from an Aleppo war-torn home. Oh wait it's my bathroom after demoing the tub surround.

Tub surround begone! *POOF!*

Time for my 2nd trip to the dump.

Framing out the new shower wall

Had to remove an exterior window

Found someone on Craigs to stucco it back in for cheap

That's where I'm at so far.
Next on the list:
- New tub arrives tomorrow
- Granite for vanities should be here any day
- Going to drop the subfloor under the tub a few inches
- Installing a few more recessed lights

bEatmstrJ posted:

Bought myself some 40 grit diamond burr drill bits and was able to enlarge the holes in my granite tops to accommodate the slightly larger drain tubes with relative ease. Still being plagued with minor drips in the sink plumbing but i'll figure that out.

Today I ripped out the sub-floor where my tub is going to be installed. Took surprisingly more effort than I expected, until I found a good way to cheat.

Need to do a bit of plumbing work. The vent pipe is going to be a bit of a challenge because it used to go above the sub-floor (as you can sort of see), but was tucked under the tub surround. I need to figure out how to run it under the sub-floor in an even shallower space since i'll be dropping the floor a few inches to make a tub pit. Also need to re-purpose one of the old jacuzzi tub circuits for a heated floor circuit. This nice big safety hazard of a pit will probably be here for at least a week or two.

Updates:
- Received the last of my tile in the mail today so I can tile the wall behind the vanities. Still considering some metal edging where it meets with the drywall on the sides.
- Removed some hardibacker under the vanities since I'll be installing heated floor mats directly over the subfloor.
- Need to modify my vanity mirrors with some additional LED lighting.

aperion fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

bEatmstrJ posted:

I partially agree with this. While its often difficult to get the full value of your remodel work back, bathrooms and kitchens are notoriously important for resale value. Although some people will prefer a different style, if you can make something unique, that pops out among the rest of the competition you're going to have more interest which means more money.

Will I get the full cost of this bathroom back (which will be quite a bit more than 23k by the way), eh, probably not. But will my home get more attention and more competition when I go to sell it? Probably. My last home had a modest amount of kitchen and bathroom remodel done and sold in 3 weeks for about 45k more than the exact same floor plan around the corner a few months prior.

But its a gamble. This is a much more expensive remodel than most people would probably do in this style of home, but it's what I want, and it's what will make me happy and that's really all that matters for now since I have to live with it.

Normally you'd be right, but the age of your neighborhood works against this notion. You said the house is ten years old. If the rest of your neighborhood is the same age and quality that your house is, then you're throwing money into a black hole. Remodels are significant for houses 20+ years old when general wear and tear start taking their toll and neighborhood-wide issues start cropping up, not when a neighborhood is still relatively new. You're going to get your rear end kicked by appraisers if you're looking at selling in less than 5 years because they won't care about your bathroom compared to a similar house in your neighborhood that wasn't remodeled.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
I went ahead and edited my post on the first page so the best parts of what started it all don't disappear so quickly.

• Locked thread