Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by
I'm still trying to understand what the goal of that was even... those few inches aren't gaining him much at all. He had a freestanding tub in the sketchup model. Buy a shorter one if it's too tall.

It's fixable I'm sure, but what the best course of action has me at a loss. Maybe a type of flitch beam of sorts or box beam. What a mess. I don't think it's going to cause his house to fall over, but I hope he doesn't live where tornadoes are a possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

angryrobots posted:

My guess is that he was gonna sit the tub inside a shower pan, and have a homebrew infinity edge tub.

I had no idea this was a thing... If so this is going to be hilariously bad. What a bunch if tacky "I've got some money and like nice things" poo poo. Its like a DIY equivalent to buying the most expensive thing in a Skymall catalog.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

brugroffil posted:

Engineering licenses are state by state, and while many have reciprocity, California is extra special thanks to earthquakes.

This. California and Florida that I know of have stricter reciprocity rules. CA has special earthquake exams and Florida has hurricane requirements. I've heard Hawaii just adopted Miami-Dade and Florida's product approval guidelines and doesn't know what is going on. My understanding also is that Los Angeles has it's own special snowflake requirement above and beyond the CA ones.

My advice... get off Yelp and Craigslist. Find your local Builders Association. You can likely call them up and get a list of contractors that you'll be way more satisfied with. If a contractor doesn't care about pissing others off they won't be a part of an association. Chances are if they can't be bothered with you they're probably annoying their subs which doesn't go well if you're in an association together to promote local construction.

And yes, there's going to be more than one way to engineer out of this problem.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

angryrobots posted:

I'd like to add, when thinking about how any beam is loaded, the upper part of the beam is in compression, and the lower part is in tension (in this case, load being in the same direction as gravity).

Not always true... over a load bearing wall in the middle of a house a beam would be in in tension at the top. Your statement is true for the simplest uniform loading supported at two ends. A cantilever is another case it wouldn't have the loading you describe. That's why beams are usually symmetrical in the y-axis because it works the same in both directions.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Arcturas posted:

I always forget with I-beams. Why doesn't the center bit buckle directly under a large point load? Like, say, a bathtub?

Like a stick snapping? or rotation?

Rotation is stopped with bracing. Like "X"'s or the sub-floor sheathing alone. For snapping like a stick? A tub is spread over a number of joists. Each joist takes half of the load to the next joist (tributary area). I-beams are the shape they are because the most stress is at the "fibers" at the top and bottom. The middle web isn't doing a lot other than keeping it together. So that's why the "flange" is beefed up.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Progressive JPEG posted:

as was said before:

Well... who's building new stuff that this code is being enforced with? Not the poors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

The Bloop posted:

Load bearing dirt, if you will.

The world would be a real interesting place if dirt didn't bear loads. :science:

• Locked thread