Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
So how much time have you spent on this one so far (not counting the planning phase)? And how is it progressing compared to your expectations? I'm always curious about plans vs reality stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Bowls are going on top I assume? I can't really imagine a scenario where you don't hate tiling around that.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

bEatmstrJ posted:

Well the fun part about posting your project online is that the internet is a ruthless foe, quick to point out your mistakes. Obviously i'm a bit vested into this project to stop now, but I do encourage any advice people may have on how to proceed.

Good attitude.

Bare in mind that I am no engineer and hopefully one of those will show up, however - it really isn't "code compliance" that you should be worried about here.

Those beams are using a couple of individually weak members, which when locked together form an individually strong whole. Cutting the top off​ didn't weaken them by 25% or whatever vertical distance you went through. Instead you kind of made then non functional. And did this to a bunch in a row.

Why don't you post your plan and get some feedback here? And if you don't get advice here please go seek it out.

Again, not an engineer, but I imagine any repair will involve snugly restoring the missing piece, maybe a 2x6 or similar ripped down to size and routed to recieve the web? Then sistering and blocking at all of the cuts.

Also on rereading, you were planning to lower the tub into the floor? I don't think that will be an option here...

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
In defense of doing the remodel, he had loving tile counter tops. The most correct course of action would be to replace them, and then find and shoot whoever put those in.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

bEatmstrJ posted:

- The wall I built for the shower might need to be flipped (double plate goes on top, not bottom), but nailing through the drywall was not an issue. Though some bracing will need to be added at the

I feel like I missed this entirely.

Anyway I'm seriously impressed that you stuck around, and this is a great victory for goons any way this goes so long as you don't leave.

• Locked thread