Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think much in the way an immune system with absolutely nothing to do sometimes just ends up attacking its self, the suburban home owner with a perfectly nice house with nothing that needs remodeling or fixing can go a bit nuts and just start attacking its self to the point that it begins to gnaw away at the load bearing elements of the building. It's like an auto-immune disorder, except with amateur builders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tile counters should be destroyed on sight, even if it's not your house.
Engineered beams should not be touched.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just get some 2x10's or something and nail them onto the sides of your engineered beams, she'll hold.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah an architect I do side work for will do stuff like that all the time. He'll come up with a solution he knows will work because basic engineering isn't that hard, he'll get me to do up a set of drawings and notes for it, then an engineer friend will sign off on it for about $500.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

socketwrencher posted:

Maybe it depends on whether permits are involved, where you may not be able to just present drawings of a few joists and the proposed fix.

Everything needs a permit where I am. The most recent one I did was an asap thing too because a family decided to take out a majority of a bearing wall holding their roof up in order to build their open plan "dream kitchen", hired an interior kitchen designer then got to work them selves but halfway through realized maybe they should get an engineer involved. They just needed a couple columns and a beam to hold up the roof and nothing was in critical risk of falling apart but even that was a "holy poo poo no" situation and the city was quick to fast track everything. I just went with my gut on what would work because they needed a drawing like same-day to submit to the city and then only after get it stamped by the engineer. My guess was correct, hooray!!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

None of you guys are closers, a closer just start ripping up his house first to prove how handy he is, then if that goalpost doesn't work anymore then uhh to prove how money means nothing to him and these fuckups are fine because balls. What sort of beta is all timid and hires a professional or even does research? If you can do something like 3d model and you're a "designer" you're clearly smarter than some idiot working class contractor who probably doesn't even have a stem or business related degree. It's called rapid prototyping, it's called disrupting the building code. Did the pioneers settling america hire professionals? No, they had BALLS like the OP and did it them selves, with their balls.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

No one's being mean because of what you did, most goons, specially in DIY, are pretty cool nice people who want to help. Some people will have a laugh but then move on. It's your constant defensiveness and some how turning this massive fuckup into more bragging about your skills and finances. People are very concerned that you didn't seem to be acting like you "got" how much of a fuckup this was, and it was your ego and lack of DIY skills that caused it.

There's nothing wrong with not knowing what the gently caress you are doing. There's tons of things I have no skill or knowledge about and I wish I could do. But often the most important skill to have is knowing what you don't know. All your posting comes off as really defensive of your DIY skills and refusing any sort honest re-assessment of your DIY skills. No one's doubting your passion, DIY is fun and cool, but when it comes to projects like this you really really have to know what you don't know and have an honest and accurate assessment of your own skills.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 6, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's poo poo like this:
"I call myself a DIY expert on LinkedIn and I don't think there is anything wrong with that (especially for a resume)"
You are not an DIY expert. You are very very bad at DIY (this is ok! I am too!). I don't know if you're in sales or business or something but you don't need to be constantly promoting your self to the point that you start to believe your own lies. Fake it till you make it, or at least until your house burns down from an electrical fire or the tub falls through the floor! This is what people are worried about and pissed off about, that you just can't not be in self-promotion mode over this.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

glynnenstein posted:

I feel like you shouldn't be doxing people and calling authorities because you just don't believe him when he says he's getting it fixed, dude.

Yeah, he's not flipping this house or saying he's just going to tile over it all over and ignore it. let him fix the thing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Holy poo poo a pebble mold and scum farm around the tub. Is that a thing people actually do or just a creative invention by our resident sketchup DIY expert?

Gotta get rid of these tile countertops, they're so hard to clean! *installs gravel floor*

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Holy poo poo that bathroom is tacky as gently caress and probably literally tacky because you can't clean it properly.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Proud Christian Mom posted:

on one hand, we're not going to see the final outcome.

on the other, this dude totally deserved having his retarded internet persona turned on him and get ratted out to the authorities.

I really don't think he did. He had hosed up bad but was bringing in actual professionals to fix things. doxxing is gross but trying to report this guy would only make sense if, after a bunch more updates, he made it clear none of these fancy engineers were talking nicely enough to him so he's just going to draw a solution in sketchup and that's that. He had stopped work and was in the process of making things right, there is no need to report him. That would have been the outcome too, he'd get a stop-work order and be told he needs to submit plans of the fix signed off by an engineer. All that's changed is now we don't get any updates.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The building code police showed up at the OP's house and fell through the floor which counts as murder so he's in jail now.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like my bathroom to be a very functional and sanitary place with nowhere for dirt to hide.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This is why the building code exists, you don't need to be an engineer to read it.

You draw up your room, you then see how long of joists you need and look it up on a span table. Your room is X meters wide? Ok you need 2x10 SPF minimum for typical use. Very simple, any carpenter or DIY type can understand that sort of thing. A good contractor will know to go over that in some area, he'll know if you do the absolute minimum there might be some bounce in the middle of larger rooms, or maybe you want to adjust the joist spacing under the tub. A typical house can be built without a full on structural engineer, those generally only get involved when you try to do something not covered by the code, or you've hosed something up big time.

In this case I'd be really curious to see the plans for the house. How was the bathroom build? What's the span on those engineered beams? What are they bearing on? What's below ? That sort of thing. Where I live engineered beams are generally only used in more extreme situations, like maybe spanning some rooms above a "great room" or something below where they want a huge cavernous area. If it can be helped, normal dimensional lumber is used for everything.

I did see one developer put up a bunch of over-sized mcmansion style houses that all had "great rooms" because that's a thing suburban folks just need because I mean how can you even watch TV in a room smaller than 20x20??? Well someone hosed up their span tables big time because halfway through framing they ripped out the same chunk of the house on every house. Next thing I know there's a STEEL beam going in, bearing on a fat wooden post on one side and a steal post on the other (this was wierd too) making a big L shape. That must have cost a lot and was probably due to some calculation being a tiny bit off.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 7, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Where is the drain?

Somehow, I think that it'll be Jeff Spiccoli in the hammock, turning around and saying 'righteous bucks".

Drain? Those aren't for use, they're to show off your wealth and increase resale value. What sort of idiot prole designs things in their house to be functional?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I know some people who do carbon fiber work and there is no way this thing should cost more than a nice car. As a cool one-off order something like that could be made by any half decent shop for the 5-6k range as a whole design-build deal. Something mass produced should be maybe 1000.

34k, that's just insane. I'm sure they justify 90% of that cost for the artistic sculptural value of their brilliant design.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Granite Octopus posted:

Considering how hard it is to get in and out of a normal hammock without smashing your head onto a rock/the ground, I can't imagine making the floor wet and slippery at the same is going to help.

This is of course not a thing designed to be used. It's a thing you, as a developer or architect or luxury house flipper, put in a "feature bathroom" to photograph well and look good in your portfolio and to make your luxury house appeal more to the idiotic rich buyer who is buying the house not so much to live in, but as a status symbol and/or investment to then flip in a few years because prices always go up.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If I was buying a house with a bathroom like this I'd ask for like 40k knocked off the price for when I had to gut it and put in a usable cleanable bathroom.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Like does the OP understand those photos are just staged for design magazines and aren't at all intended to be functional bathrooms in some random suburban california house?

It's like taking direct fashion advice from the most ridiculous fashion shows. Those clothes aren't meant to be worn out in public or produced, those ridiculous outfits are just for the show as art, it's not the designer's new line and you'll look loving stupid wearing it anywhere outside of a runway.

Those tubs, they are for magazine covers and a luxury resort's website, they are not for actual use.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Put rocks like that in other rooms too. Why not rocks around your fridge to collect food scraps and moisture? Make your washing machine look cool with sunken rocks. Surround your bed, surround the toilet. Replace all flooring with loose rocks.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

so OP how did you earn all this money that you now seem intent on pissing away? inheritance?

I'd put money on something marketing or corporate sales related.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You want something like really porous lava rock to maximize the surface area for mold and moisture retention.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've noticed in a lot of show homes and rich people renos I work on the trend is to have as much glass as possible in your bathroom. Surround your tub with floor to ceiling glass.
Is there some huge trend with people having exibitionist fetishes or something? Is it a class thing to prove how much private property you have that you feel secure enough in your privacy from the street/neighbours that you can have curtain walls in your bathroom?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

90% of the time these all-glass bathrooms are overlooking the water though, which means anyone in a boat can peep your dilz.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I guess I can't understand people who view a bathrroom as a place to hang out or spend time. I'm in and out of there as fast as I can to poo poo or piss or clean the filth off my body, it's a utilitarian room serving mostly gross functions. Sometimes if I've got some real sore muscles I'll sit in a nice hot bath for a little extra time, but I'm still there to get clean and get out. Setting up snacks and poo poo in the tub? That's gross and weird, the bathroom is not for eating, it's for the opposite in fact. Also, because it's a place where unsanitary and not food safe things are going on I want that room to be as easy to clean as possible because I want to keep it clean. Stupid decorations or idiotic designs just make keeping it clean harder.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 28, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Look Sir Droids posted:

Yep, and that's why you put your reno money in to the kitchen if you want to at least break even. There's must less subject to taste in that room and it gets used constantly. Bathrooms are what you reno when you have money to piss away or you intend to stay in your house for another 10 years so you "get your money back" through use.

Yeah house flipping is huge in my area and anyone who's good at it will say the same thing. But for some reason there's something about a certain demographic of mostly middle aged women who absolutely can't understand that no one but them finds the bathroom the most important room in the house. They'll buy a house, put 50k into a bathroom, then be shocked when that maybe gets them an extra 20k on the price the house sells at and in fact a lot of people are turned off by the over the top bathroom. Really, doing anything over the top to the point of excess will end up being seen as tacky by a lot of prospective buyers.

The #1 standard house flipping reno is granite countertops and stainless appliances in the kitchen, it's basically become a joke at this point. Slap some granite and stainless into a kitchen and expect to make triple your profit.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I just hit my white appliances with a damp cloth after cooking and it's good enough visually for us. My parents had stainless stuff when I was a kid and it again always looked fine after a maybe daily 2 min wipe down.
I wish my counters had a solid colour or were just white. It's fake stone and hides everything. I want to see the dirt so I can keep it like a spaceship

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Generally when people put expensive things they won't personally be using into their house as part of a reno it's to increase the house's value despite not really using it them selves. Or they put in stupid trash that they them selves enjoy but the next buyer will most likely have to rip out. This tub seems to be the worst of both worlds. An expensive thing that won't be used and the next buyer will have to rip out (probably as part of gutting/redoing the now really space-inefficient design)

It's like someone converting their whole back yard into a huge expensive to maintain pool but then admitting they don't swim, they just like the idea of DIY ruining their yard with a pool. Madness.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lutha Mahtin posted:

yeah. but you're still a bigot, so

No, he's a sales engineer. (it's very very slightly different)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

SoundMonkey posted:

people splash water on the counter washing their hands in a normal person sink that's six inches deep. so let's make one that's an inch and a half deep that it's nearly impossible to clean under.

That's ok he only uses the sink a couple times a year, it's mostly to get the ladies wet if you know what I mean.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 3, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

EKDS5k posted:

It's extra hilarious because even if his sexist rant was 100% accurate, all the women who replied to the thread think his bathroom design is terrible.

Right but those were all angry feminist she-goons, not the sexy traditional women a sales engineer pulls.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cru Jones posted:

OP here's my bathroom, can I get a swoon factor evaluation?

Really not a fan of the wood or the colouring on it, looks really dated like it's from someone's 1995 home office/library reno.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cru Jones posted:

You've exposed my builder grade shame!

When was it done?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Anne Whateley posted:

Realtalk the wood is too much and I never love glass blocks, but even though I'm not on board with the aesthetics, I really dig the features. Tons of closed storage, a luxurious tub, a functional shower, easy-to-clean surfaces, big counters. I would say maybe consider some upper-level storage for usual medicine-cabinet stuff, but otherwise, thumbs up. The stuff I don't like is almost all stuff you could make over quickly for a space that looks great; the function is already there.

Yeah the aesthetic is 90's as heck (or even 80's with the glass block) but it all seems functional enough. I'd swap out the cabinet fronts, do the tub surround in tile rather than wood, and probably redo or paint the trim (possibly in the whole house if it's all that wood) if it was my house, or if I was selling it.

Also also the lack of trim around the ceiling and around the mirrors contrasted with the thick woody trim everywhere else feels off somehow.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Vargatron posted:

It's achingly obvious that I live in squalor because I have one toilet and shower/tub combo in about a 10'x6' bathroom. Whatever it's a low rent bachelor pad with TWO STORIES in half a duplex.

Yeah my bathroom is probably even smaller. Most everyone I know lives in a tiny cramped apartment so these huge 10x10 + sized bathrooms feel cavernous to me. Personally even if I was filthy rich I'd like my bathrooms more on the cozy side of things. The few times I've used huge bathrooms I've not liked them because the room never really gets steamy enough.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I shat in the bed like 5 times but blamed it on the dude I sleep with.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

brugroffil posted:

Frank Reynolds???

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pocket doors are poo poo for any sort of sound proofing, and the barn style sliders given even less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd trip backwards while pissing. There's what, 2' in front of the toilet to stand and then a big tile lip and a pit?

• Locked thread