Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I look forward to the part where he carries on with the rest of it and then when he has someone actually come in to repair the underlying structure, it turns out all his improvements have to come out because they're going to have to rip up the whole floor to replace those I-joists.

Or, the bathtub self-installs to the floor below at some later date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Baronjutter posted:

Just get some 2x10's or something and nail them onto the sides of your engineered beams, she'll hold.

"Load-bearing 'or something'" might be a new one, I like it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Can I also add that this:

bEatmstrJ posted:

Yes, which i'm sure is not to code, but its the only way I can accomplish what I'm trying to do
is lunacy. 1) It's the only way you know of, and 2) if destroying the structure of the building really is the only way to do a thing, you may have to accept that it can't be done, it doesn't get okayed just because that's the only path forward.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The beatings will continue until morale improves the situation is resolved, I think that's pretty fair!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The dog piling posts ITT are cutting through the load-bearing I-joists of OP's heart

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Is this just ambiguously aimed or intended to be AoE

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ignorance is bliss, don't be afraid to rejoist in your work

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

angryrobots posted:

My guess is that he was gonna sit the tub inside a shower pan, and have a homebrew infinity edge tub.

Based on this image:

You are absolutely correct. That looks like it's supposed to be gravel down there, the tub will overflow into it and drain out underneath. If so, then the "what I want to do" part of "only way to accomplish what I want to do" is "create a black mold farm under a water stain sculpture." I think it may be an art piece about the intractable existentialism in the context of our modern socio-political global economy of consumerism or something.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

OP plz come back

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

kid sinister cut through the engineered joists of this thread, but in his defense it was the only way to do what he wanted to do.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You could have just done your hero business silently and let us have this, a real hero doesn't expect recognition

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

OP GIS'd "infinity bathtub rocks" and called it a day

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Snak posted:

Clearly not, since that drain basin isn't sunk into the floor.

Well I mean yeah, it clearly isn't the work of a DIY expert.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well, it was fun while it lasted. Heck of a ride!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Holyshoot posted:

Who takes a bath in 2017? Ain't got time for that poo poo.

You can have my jacuzzi tub when you pry it from my cold, dead, bloated, water-logged hands.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

bEatmstrJ posted:

He wants $500 to come over and do plans

For what it's worth, that sounds pretty reasonable. I had a retired structural engineer come out to my house to look at removing a couple partition walls that had some load-bearing poo poo in them, and speccing out a beam and new posts inside the remaining walls so the space could open up and we could move the entire kitchen into it:

The bill for us chatting and figuring that out on-site was $170, and that was with the original drawings on-hand and nothing actually having been touched, i.e. purely speculative, which significantly eases the figuring that has to be done. AND this was in the heart of the land of cheap-living, also known as Central Iowa. Just knowing that you're in CA I feel like $500 to have an engineer tell you how to fix your broken house seems a pretty fair price to me. Of course, that doesn't cover actually ENACTING the repair, but there's a baseline for comparison for you at least.

And I suspect that if you were willing to open up the ceiling below, you could put in some microlam or steel beams and actually do what you originally wanted to do with your mold farm plan.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

sneakyfrog posted:

*sigh* i just wish it were properly redtexted dammit folks attention to detail.

Apparently your DIY avatar gifter should have contracted out to a pro, then you wouldn't be in this predicament.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tomorrow's update:

bEatmstrJ posted:

Apparently my cat got stuck far into the floor cavity of my bathroom, I had to remove a load-bearing wall and a few more joists to get him out, but it was the only way to accomplish what I wanted to do. Success!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Mr. Mambold posted:

5 minutes inactivity taking a poo poo? I'm pretty sure that's against code in SoCal

Actually, making GBS threads for more than five minutes is known to the state of California to cause cancer.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

FogHelmut posted:

Leaving the lights on is one step away from screwing with your thermostat.

That's why you put the thermostat in your man cave, and install a decoy thermostat in the regular location.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

This is also the same portion of your joist you removed, so I don't know why everyone's so upset

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Apparently my entire house is composed of rumpus rooms, then.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Just lol if you don't dip yourself into a 55 gallon drum of lube before sex.

Or as the rest of us call it, "your mom"

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ironically, one of those hammock tubs would have neatly alleviated the need for any floor there at all, much less floor joists, I say just remove the floor there altogether and go hog wild!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Don't be a scrub, nut up and do it, bro

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

SoundMonkey posted:

edit: PLUS it's gonna be GFCI (please say it is) so it'll be a deeper plug anyways, yeah just leave almost nothing in the box and then staple it to the stud every two inches
GFCI probably means it'll have pigtails so those should be long enough on their own to actually reach out the back of the box, saving you several inches. And if you miss and hit the wire a few times with the hammer while stapling it, you should be able to get at least an inch or two more unless you hammer like a sissy

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Burt Sexual posted:

This is loving awesome. OP do this but with your kitchen below.

That way as you lay in the bath upstairs you can watch your wife and two kids as they walk out of the house forever, finally fed up with your DIY antics.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

"Infinity bidet" is something I'm not ashamed to say I never thought of, but also desperately wish I had.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

A hotel is the absolute last place I would ever ever ever use the jacuzzi tub. At least in my own home, I know it's my own gunks clogging up the jets.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Snak posted:

The focal point of a parabolic reflector is... not on its surface.

what if it's a very small parabola

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I mean frankly that depends on the taint.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Mortal Kombathroom

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

bEatMBisonJ

Gotta say, charging ahead and installing a bath tub according to the original plan would have been a hell of a finishing move

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nah just tuck your statue of the Virgin Mary in there and you'll be fine.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

bEatmstrJ posted:

He took measurements of my entire house and said he can make it work but he did seem a bit concerned about having the inspector see the joists, so he recommended fixing it (but still leaving my 2" inch drop) and covering it up before the inspector comes over as he thinks it would raise a lot of red flags.

Ahahahahahhahahahahahahhaaaaaaaaaaa your engineer is a loving goon who has been following this thread and wants to see some drat comedy already. Good on ya, stealth goon :cheers:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Social engineer

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

It was Kid Sinister :ninja:

Well that would be the best thing ever, wouldn't it

Kid Sinister gets everyone all riled up, then scams himself in as a faux engineer that'll recommend really shady poo poo, and the hiding thereof, THEN he actually reports it once it's all sealed up and done, just to be extra spiteful. I love it. Better than Hamlet.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

bEatmstrJ posted:

It's purely aesthetic. The infinity tub sounds nice, but its nothing that fancy.

Haaaaaaawhat

I love this thread so much.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

kastein posted:

You wanted to make it so the floor is harder to clean and nasty water pools around the base of the tub?

No, he wanted a solid gold thread and that was the only way to accomplish it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Why would you purposely do this to yourself?!

Look, some people may be content with a builder-grade mold farm, but OP wants something better.

• Locked thread