Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

The Bloop posted:

There's a smaller tub inside

What's the calculations on a load of water floating inside another load of water resting on top of sawn-off floor supports?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
This is truly the thread that keeps on giving.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
I wouldn't bother writing the beam manufacturers. They won't want to take on the liability of telling you to do something that might go wrong. You'll either get ghosted or get some boilerplate about them not being to help without a contract or some other CYA poo poo.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
My predatory former roommate/landlady let her dad be the general contractor on her house, which is a Crappy Construction Tale in its own right, but his brilliant plan was to put motion sensor -- not vacancy sensor -- switches in every bathroom, the laundry room, and the kitchen. Nothing like getting your retinas seared when you get up to take a 3am piss. Or having the kitchen look like a slo-mo rave when the pets are active at night.

The worst part was that he moved the ensuite bathrooms in both rental bedrooms from one side of the house to the other (tl;not relevant), but didn't want to bother running new ventilation, so he left the tops of the walls open between the top of the door frame and the vaulted ceilings. It looked fairly cool, I'll admit, and gave the bathrooms some much needed natural light.

It also meant if a dust mote bigger than a flea's turd floated past the sensor in the middle of the night, the loving lights would come on and illuminate the whole loving bedroom.

The rent was cheap by normal standards, never mind Portland standards, so I stayed there way longer than I should have. Mistakes were made, but my savings account is okay with it.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Yeah, my parents had a bonus room in their condo basement. They dug out a window well and added an egress window, and now it's a bedroom. I forget how much value that added to the condo, but it was substantial. It's got french doors, though, which I find highly annoying on a bedroom, but I don't care that much because I don't live there anymore.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Those tubs full of random crap just scream, "enjoy your yeast infection, lady!"

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

sneakyfrog posted:

fortunately they are ALREADY compromised :aaaaa:

Plan mercury is go!

Oooh, will this thread now cross over with the FOOF thread, too? :allears:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Snak posted:

We sprang for a slightly pricier after-market shower storage thing, and I'm really happy with it.

It's quite secure and each part is adjustable but can be tightened down.

Have one; love it. It's the most adjustable and secure shower rack I've ever used.

Woman opinion: Not fond of the design, OP, for the same reasons mentioned already. Not enough storage, not enough light, and the shower looks like it wouldn't be terribly friendly to normal lady ablutions like leg shaving. I don't hate it, because I'm pretty low maintenance (I have a hairdryer for drying ink, and some days I don't even look in the mirror before I leave the house), but it wouldn't be a value-add if I was looking to buy the house. Not the worst bathroom; not an improvement over what I already have, either.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Wilford Cutlery posted:

My ex and her bff are renting a condo and there's a socket with what looks like thick gauge speaker wire coming out of the wall. I wish I had a picture of it. It's right next to a closet so they just looped it up and stashed it in there, any idea what it might be?

The shithole I used to live in had random wires sticking out of random holes in the sheetrock. Apparently, the owner's dad wanted to install a security system, but the owner decided she didn't need it. After a year of staring at a foot of wire sticking out just above head level in every room, I went around and tucked them all back into the wall.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Relentless posted:

The faucet goes on the other side. They retrofitted a fancy sink into a standard setup (drain right under faucet). Or yoi could reverse it and move the drain.

If they were flipping it, they probably picked it up at the discount hardware place for a song and a dime OR it's covering some problem with the rest of the counter. Or both.

In other words, "Your mom just grabbed a stupid shaped sink at the Re-Store, and now I have to help her install it."

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Sirotan posted:

Yeah it might be good to test it on a small surface first if you're worried, but I've used it on fiberglass, porcelain tile, a ceramic bathtub, and the enameled surface of a stove. I've also used it very sparingly on my car where other people have been assholes and transferred paint from their doors. Never did any damage to the original surface of any of those things, and took the grime off like, well, ~magic~.

Also used it on ground in dust on an un-primed window frame, and it was the only thing that worked. I got my entire deposit back, and my landlord begged me for cleaning tips, because he'd never had any luck getting crap off the frames he forgot to paint in other units.

Magic Erasers are absolutely truth in advertising.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Speaking of lovely bathrooms, my parents' condo basement bathroom has a slanted floor. Not on purpose. Somehow, the concrete didn't find its level and the pipe for the toilet sticks up ridiculously high. To compensate, the builders filled the gap with a good solid inch of caulk. It's the worst toilet, can't even flush its own water sometimes, but my parents can't replace the loving thing because they'd have to chisel it out, take out everything in the bathroom, and have someone come in and level the concrete. They're Crazy Contractor People (the inside of their condo is unrecognizable from what it was 17 years ago; people in the association find excuses to invite themselves over to get reno ideas), but even that is a bridge too far.

Still better than the last house I lived in, which was built by a rapist with Hep C who liked to poo poo in every toilet and not flush.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

FogHelmut posted:

They have a bare concrete floor in the bathroom?

Nah, but there's only a layer of linoleum over it. The rest of the basement is carpet, laminate, or painted bare concrete for the pump room and wood shop.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

FogHelmut posted:

Just lay some tile and level out the floor with extra mortar?

That'd be my solution. I think my dad wants to re-pour the floor for some reason, but I don't think it's something that couldn't be fixed with some judicious mortar application during tiling.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

canyoneer posted:

Baking soda is a legit amazing way to clean things. I use it all the time on pots that have brown stains in the bottom. Just apply baking soda liberally to a damp surface, and it doesn't take a lot of scrubbing for that stuff to lift right off.

Also works if your bumbling roommate burned rice onto the bottom of your pots. Heat water, add vinegar, add baking soda, wait for the reaction to die down, scrub. Repeat as necessary. They're still grungy looking, but at least they're usable again.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i can't decide if the coffin is levitating or not

Levitation would help the OP with his structural fuckup. Would it be possible to reduce the load using electro magnets to float the tub's weight? Or would that still be too heavy with the magnet apparatus underneath?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

... no?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

I kind of love that crocheted towel hanger with the rings. Not the color, though it does match the rest of the room quite nicely, but I want that in, like, a pale blue or steel gray in my guest bathroom.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Oh, macrame. Even better. I can probably get one of my aunts to make me one.

I learned to crochet briefly when it was trendy in the dorms. It lasted all of one scarf, when I realized I was burning a lot of time I could have spent drawing instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

cheese eats mouse posted:

There's one in a sushi restaurant here and it's in the ladies room and it also has a seat warmer. Every girl friend I have talks about it.

Shigezo?

• Locked thread