Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

kid sinister posted:

I found your LinkedIn page. "Self-taught DIY expert." :lol:

I realize the goonpile is fun friend but lets respect a few lines for funs sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

kid sinister posted:

What's more important: laughing at this idiot, or a safe house that won't hurt anyone?

Im sorry officer

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
good attitude OP, just remember most folks in DIY just want to help you out, getting all butthurt and pissy because you did something dumb just puts blood in the water for folks that just want to watch you goonwell dig

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
its ok he is an internet cop driven by justice, and the loss of his parents to an improperly installed 2nd floor tub. Hit them right before they gave him the snitches are punk rear end bitches lesson so its ok. this is at least how im writing up the fan fiction anyways

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

its loving creepy dude. Yeah dude was kinda dumb, but you are one smug jackass. but hey good job safety patrol, way to get all involved in other peoples lives without invitation.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

SoundMonkey posted:

i hope there's a lesson here about the relative wisdom of "hey, here's a really funny thread with a sorta goofy OP! better screw it up before it can get good."

seriously goddamn. I was enjoying this one :smithfrog: come back OP we miss you

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

he is banned friend. took my sweet avatar with him even :smithfrog:

Lets talk about natural moss bathmats instead!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
im just saying if you have a stupid overflowing bathtub why not some tasteful natural moss instead of black mold!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Is the idea to have a recirculator going all the time, and have the tub basically be a waterfall fountain when its not bathtime? That'd be kinda neat.

Also the trickling water sounds would help you pee :v:

if you would recycle the water into either greywater or lawn or garden irrigation it could even in a weird planet be eco friendly

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Proud Christian Mom posted:

well he'll never get one after he rides his mold boat to the depths of hell!

eh it can be unfucked here just gonna be a bit of work, and engineering, and maybe aquascaping and some horticulture maybe some mycology.. but doable

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Effective-Disorder posted:

Yeah, you're right. Of course, if you want to give him a new avatar when he comes back, I already went through the trouble of making this:

gently caress, now I really want a natural moss bathmat. On the other hand, I find centipedes and other crawly things enjoy moss as well.

I am skeptical about how well that stuff will survive over time, though I do like the idea of plants in a bathroom.

http://www.homedit.com/best-plants-that-suit-your-bathroom/

Probably the bromeliads on suction cups are enough for me.

dammit i should of thought of that instead of gis-ing "lovely loving cop"

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Dillbag posted:

You dummy, sphagnum moss is nature's toilet paper, not nature's bathmat.

i use that for compost filler not a bathmat jeez.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Right? I mean, why even worry about renovating when you can just cover stuff with plants? Plants don't need permits.

I think I'm going to have to go shopping for plants. If I have to poo poo and piss regularly, why am I not doing it in a garden?

thats why I bought land.... just go piss IN the garden :colbert:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:neckbeard:

:justpost:

just make sure you dont wreck your house dude.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

SoundMonkey posted:

i had a moss bathmat for a while and it was pretty legit and was nice on the feet (and not dirty) but it was hard to keep it evenly watered, standing on it after a shower for 30 seconds is actually not enough shockingly

goddamn it now im tempted.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Burt Sexual posted:

Same. Really probably put diy on the map for a change. Seemed like a boring premise, but less than comics and anime.

Any other funny threads regulars?

crappy construction is always lovely

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3431884

dont poo poo things up friends

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

mon dieu!

Evilreaver posted:

Man, I missed KS's allegedly sweet avatar :saddowns: did anyone 'archive it before the evidence was erased'?

Sorry i dont usually get so irked i actually spend money on dumbassitude so i forgot to take a picture

*Historical recreation based on a true story*

If you do something i feel is unsafe I will report you to the authorities, Its not creepy because I AM THE LAW.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
oof engineering calculations please :frogon:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Adiabatic posted:

You can totally do it yourself, just be sure to research the poo poo out of your local codes. There's quick reference books online and they cost like $15 for each discipline. It's important to take a positive attitude with building code because you bet your rear end it's there for a very practical and important reason. I personally find it fun to figure out why, but that bit's not necessary as long as you follow them to the letter.

what the lurking mod says, just dont gently caress with electrical, or plumbing unless you have researched the poo poo out of what you are doing and maybe ask for help from a pro or at least one to bounce your grand vision off of.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Apparently i have been lamely hoisted by my own gift avatar... sigh. didnt even properly redtext it.. a shameful goon.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Well, the salt in this thread should at least keep the moss at bay.

*sigh* i just wish it were properly redtexted dammit folks attention to detail.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
just for clarification since y'all engies speak layman like poo poo, the I shape of the i beam is much better at distributing load, is lighter and in the case of long spans is much more affordable than an equivalent piece of solid material even assuming you could get one in an extended span for larger homes, correct?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

dis astranagant posted:

A solid beam only really takes load on the edges so an i beam saves weight by being as close to all edge as possible while still being one piece.

Snak posted:

It's the same concept as putting a fuller in the blade of a sword. You are making a blade that is stronger for its finished weight than a blade without a fuller.

Since I'm familiar with that, I'm surprised I didn't think about how I-beams work sooner.

in between these two posts i stated getting a feel for the idea thanks folks

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

got any sevens posted:

How do swords work? What is a fuller?

edit: i tried putting a lame wrong type of ram joke here

commonly known as a "blood groove" it reduces weight and concentrates the weight and force towards the edges so its lighter and easier to maneuver but thicker and stronger to resist a cross blade or actual hits and wear on the edges.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
look at this guy you should get a picture of the engineer holding a sign saying "Its good Kid, I'm unfucking it"

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

The Chairman posted:

When you bend a beam, it forms an arc shape, such that it's in compression (crushed) at the top and tension (stretched) at the bottom. The material at the very center of the beam doesn't deform in bending, so it's not carrying any load. The further away the material is from the center, the more it contributes to resisting bending.

A flanged beam like a steel wide-flange or a wood I-joist has most of its material at the very top and bottom of the beam, spread as far apart as possible. This minimizes the area that isn't meaningfully contributing bending capacity to the beam and maximizes the contribution of the material.

In the case of home construction, engineered lumber costs more per foot than regular lumber, but you can use less of it. However, they do have some drawbacks -- the biggest of which is that it's really easy to completely ruin them and reduce their capacity significantly by damaging their flanges...

i see what you did there :allears:

and thank you

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

SoundMonkey posted:

i asked someone to do a thing, hopefully they will

:aaaaa: what thing did you do to me I have 3 legs you bastard!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
some people have to spend their nonexistent kids college fund somewhere :shrug:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Elendil004 posted:

I bet you can sell them speakers and gold plated speaker wire too.

home audio is rad friend. you can sell me that stuff.. well not the gold poo poo.. the nice poo poo though maybe.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Granite Octopus posted:

Considering how hard it is to get in and out of a normal hammock without smashing your head onto a rock/the ground, I can't imagine making the floor wet and slippery at the same is going to help.

:rolleyes: if you dont have at least 2 handmaidens kneeling at the edge with towels on their backs.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

FogHelmut posted:

Leaving the lights on is one step away from screwing with your thermostat.

both capital crimes in my copdom. :colbert:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

dest posted:

Man OP, you have GOT to stop cutting corners (and floor joists) to save a few pennies:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3816693

That Friends & Family PayPal will get you every time.

:allears:

Hmm seems UNSAFE

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Look I live in California too and I see this kind of ignorance all the time and I just can't keep silent anymore.

It's wack. Like "wacky." Not "whack."

hella right bruh :hfive:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I know, right?

Where are the shelves dedicated to video game collectors editions? The sink full of dishes three weeks old? The stack of Amazon boxes you're going to throw out any day now, for gods sake! I mean, I don't see one bloody floor-pizza anywhere.

those are in the rumpus room you heathen

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

bEatmstrJ posted:

Gotten more quotes, decided who were my top 2 or 3 and made them compete against each other for price.

did you do it in the ruins of the bathroom?

was there techno music as they fought for domination?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
*heavy breathing*

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
maybe around 28.5714 stone of concrete instead of the rocky moldy bathtub show

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Baronjutter posted:

90% of the time these all-glass bathrooms are overlooking the water though, which means anyone in a boat can peep your dilz.

Its ok op, I do dumb things all the time. One time i made a pizza roll enchilada, it was a horribly fantastic mistake, albeit a bit more frugal.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Hannibal Lecter's crock pot.

thats a great username

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Snak posted:

Hannibal Lector would never use a crock pot.

this is also true

• Locked thread