Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
You know, I've never seen granite with a lip that hangs down lower than the rest of the slab (assuming I'm understanding you correctly). And the more I think about it, provided the granite is one solid piece, the amount of work required to put a lip on it seems staggering and kind of pointless. What's the story here? Is it actual granite, or a synthetic material?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Huh, maybe a regional thing (or, my region is the weird one for not doing it). I've removed a lot of granite countertops and never seen it done that way, regardless of edge profile. Live and learn.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

bEatmstrJ posted:

If you're ok with builder-grade bathrooms then more power to you, but I like a different level of house.
Then surely with your financial largess it would have made more sense to hire it out to a contractor?

Look, I don't mean to dogpile on you, because I want to see where this goes, and I respect you for listening to people here and by the sound of it, calling in a pro. Thing is, you did something silly and posted it in a forum with a thread specifically devoted to mocking that sort of thing. People are gonna give you poo poo. They'll also give you good advice. Take both with grace.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

A full schedule is one thing, but I will say I have no patience for a professional who is flaky about communications.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

ExplodingSims posted:

I'm not sure why people here freak out about wire nuts so much. As long as you use the properly sized on and tighten it down all the way they're fine. And wrap them up in electrical tape.

I mean, obviously you don't want a splice like that in an extension cord, but in pretty much any other wire joining situation they're fine.
There's really no need to wrap them. I do, because why not, but they're designed not to require it and code doesn't require it.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Well poo poo, does this mean we're never gonna find out why he needed to sink the tub 3 inches?

Handicapped maybe? Physically I mean.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

And to be fair, the mean trolls are also waiting for the next update.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Is this a code thing on houses built after X date or something? I've never actually sought them out, but in the all the houses I've spent significant time in, I've never seen easily accessible junction boxes.
Are you sure? That is to say, a majority of connections in a properly built home will be in outlet, light, and switch boxes. Outside of unfinished spaces, there shouldn't actually *be* junction boxes. So it's not that you are in homes with hidden ones, you're likely just in homes where the only true junction boxes are in the attic or unfinished basement where they belong.

Not sure how long it's been code for, but I'd hazard a guess at 'a long time' - Anecdotally in my years of doing demo, I can count on one hand the amount of times I opened a wall/ceiling and found a junction box I wasn't expecting - Every time being in a poorly renovated basement.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I've decided my favorite part of all this is that the thread has now been linked to in the CineD gen chat thread. Cinephiles are taking a break from discussing Bergman films to laugh at this.

'Bergman's use of light and shadows in this scene really serves to illuminate - if you will allow me the pun - the dichotomy of ----- wait, what? He cut into the engineered joist?? To lower it by how much??'

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Snak posted:

Wait, I skimmed past the renders... He's putting in a wall?

Taking an open bathroom and adding a wall.

Look man, maybe builders grade is good enough for you, but when you have the kind of money he has, you can afford to put walls any where you want.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

You could have just done your hero business silently and let us have this, a real hero doesn't expect recognition
He's the hero DIY deserves.

Also, his actions have made me feel better about making fun of beatmaster. On one hand I'm like 'oh, I shouldn't be mean, he screwed up, it happens'. On the other hand, hell, at least I didn't doxx him.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Jestery posted:

At this point would it just be easier to have raised the floor by 2 inches?
Jestery's boat arrives at the Deep Water Horizon, just days after the explosion. Surveying the scene, he's quiet for a moment. 'At this point would it just be easier to have drilled for oil on land?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Well poo poo, kid sinister was a good go-to for electrical advice. Now I'm gonna end up doing something even more disastrous then beatmaster.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

WrenP-Complete posted:

Either of those your aesthetic?
Maybe it's because the entire thing looks like the inside of a pizza oven, but this is giving me big time 'boiled alive and eaten' vibes.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I knew a guy who framed every wall with a double sill plate so he didn't need to find studs while installing baseboard. I'm not saying it's a reasonable solution, but every time I'm installing baseboard, I wish he had framed the wall.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

WrenP-Complete posted:

Like a hammock tub?

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/JyTHY6o

Sorry, I'm up in the middle of the night phone posting, so not sure how to post pictures from that gallery right now.

Edit: now I'm making tea.

Is that.... is that Princess Leia?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Lladre posted:

That thirty four thousand dollar hammock tub is still cheaper than OP's tub.
Goddamn

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Goddamn guys, beatmaster is playing 4th dimensional chess, and we're all about to feel real silly about giving him grief over the tub.

The constant flow of water in his infinity edge tub is intended to keep the motion activated lights from turning off while he's soaking!!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Crazycryodude posted:

But corporate profits trumping environmental sustainability isn't anything new at this point, so I guess we can't exactly be surprised.

Trumping

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Looks like it slopes down to the left to me. Water only needs a couple degrees of slope to run.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

SoundMonkey posted:

i'm probably just super weird about it but i'd straight up cut it shorter, install a small junction box near the top, and run a wire down to the outlet along the stud. if i bring the shame of loving up measuring a wire on myself, i gotta own it.
Psst, don't give this advice to a guy who previously may or may not have buried a junction box without access.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

SoundMonkey posted:

fuckin' lol if you don't think every single person who posted helpfully wasn't at least a LITTLE tempted.

especially the people who are gonna post after this and lie right to my face and say they weren't.

I've always wished this place had a 'fix it even faster' thread, where we gave horrible, corner cutting advice.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Facebook Aunt posted:

I'd be tempted to buy a gallon of bleach and just let it run with hot bleach water for an hour or so before I tried it. Fish poop in the reservoir and we add bleach to that and then drink it, so bleaching a jacuzzi tub should be fine.
Bleach has no effect on essence.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

kastein posted:

I am glad you are fixing those joists because goddamn, man.

Also, poo poo like this is why building codes and inspectors exist. Fortunately every time I talk to the building inspector he tells me I'm going overboard, wasting money, and don't need to do it that way, and then I do it that way anyways. You could put a weightlifting room and a waterbed plus a few cars on my floor joists and they'd be like "fite me irl bro"

This gives me an idea. Make the bottom of your tub out of mirror, put a mirror on the ceiling above. Infinite mirror tub-loving.
A mirrored tub? Look, if you wanna stick your bare rear end inside a parabolic mirror, that's between you and your God. Personally I don't feel like having to get skin grafts on my taint.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Snak posted:

The focal point of a parabolic reflector is... not on its surface. And your rear end will be on its surface, blocking light from the reflector so it never gets to the focal point anyway.

Unless of course the ceiling mirror causes something like this...

I will admit I didn't fully examine the physics involved in the taint scorching scenario.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I think we need to factor for taint melanin levels as well.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

MrYenko posted:

I wasn't going to bring it up, but $6,700/yr is some serious third-world poverty level poo poo, if true.
Not sure if Snak is cool with me discussing his financials online, but he's actually an infinity tub installer. Work's been slow lately.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

The Bloop posted:

I'm amazed at how simultaneously humble yet braggadocios this comparison is.

Guys I'm like a president, but a lovely one.
When he retires, he'll paint portraits of the contractors who die during this remodel.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Elsa posted:

After you fix the floor build a platform around the tub for the sunken experience.
Now you are in the sunken place

Signed, beatmasterj's 'engineer'

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Look Sir Droids posted:

In terms of ROI no buyer is going to pay what you paid for a mold farm, OP. This is a sunk cost. Also in those pics you posted most of them share one thing: plenty of natural light. Helps keep mold in check. You boarded up a window and now have less natural light than you started with.

JK your plans are perfect, please proceed. This thread owns.
Sunk cost

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Encapsulate the rocks in a clear epoxy.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Stainless does have a reputation for getting finger-printy, but I really never found it particularly hard to manage. I don't have kids though, so my kitchens have always been a bit cleaner as a default anyway.

Our new appliances are GE's slate line, and they have an appearance similar to stainless, but don't get smudgy at all. Very nice.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

bEatmstrJ posted:

Those are not the rocks. These are just test rocks. I'd probably go with some smoother and more uniform river rock. But it was what they had available at Home Depot when I went.
Oh poo poo, you're performing this test with builder grade rocks???

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

There are two things every dudebro home decorator has to have: A giant overstuffed black leather couch and a red accent wall. Bonus points for LED mood lighting behind the TV for "ambiance."

In fairness..... Bias lighting behind your tv in some situations improves picture quality. Or, improves how your eyeballs function at least.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

kastein posted:

wow this thread sure took a turn.

why are there nail plates on the sides of the joists in the background?
Pretty sure that's just a sill plate, so we might actually be looking at the only properly done part of the job.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

kastein posted:

Yeah but the drat plates don't even cover the whole side of the beam! So I'm not really sure what the point is... (maybe I'm misinterpreting what I'm seeing)

Haha, yeah, solid point. Who the gently caress knows

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I still don't understand what a sales engineer is. The guy from Office Space who gets t-boned?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Vargatron posted:

So uh... how are you going to get that fucker drained?
I'm sure there was a floor drain somewhere down there that the coroner's office was able to use.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

How many doors are going into that bathroom? It looks like at least three.
It's more a hallway that you poo poo in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

learnincurve posted:

Disabled and very elderly people who refuse to go into a home get them for free in the UK. Person who buys my Nan's house is getting an awesome walk in bath/shower combo.
That's cool, here the elderly and disabled are given a piece of paper that says 'Go gently caress yourself'.

• Locked thread