Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Mr. Mambold posted:

What would you have flow into it, notorious forums troll Pissflaps, ants?

If I were OP, I'd set engineered rock to the wall near the tub and have a little waterfall going down that for the ambience.

Ooh, I like this idea! And scented TASTEFULLY with lavender and sage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

He'll come back.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Yes, the structural issues it sounds like you are dealing with and people are interested in that. I would like to discuss several design choices such as: window treatments, color of your towels, and what color gravel are you going to get? Is it going to be those soft "river stones" or even those plants that grow better when you step on them. Are you going to get "tub trees" like in the image linked above from GIS?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

sneakyfrog posted:

he is banned friend. took my sweet avatar with him even :smithfrog:

Lets talk about natural moss bathmats instead!

https://www.thisiswhyimbroke.com/moss-bath-mat/

for starters.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 6, 2017

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

You can buy kits to make your own on etsy: https://www.etsy.com/search?q=moss+bath+mat&order=most_relevant&view_type=gallery&ship_to=US

Here is a... tutorial (?) on HGTV:
http://www.hgtv.com/design/decorating/design-101/moss-and-stone-bath-mats-pictures

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Effective-Disorder posted:

Yeah, you're right. Of course, if you want to give him a new avatar when he comes back, I already went through the trouble of making this:

gently caress, now I really want a natural moss bathmat. On the other hand, I find centipedes and other crawly things enjoy moss as well.

I am skeptical about how well that stuff will survive over time, though I do like the idea of plants in a bathroom.

http://www.homedit.com/best-plants-that-suit-your-bathroom/

Probably the bromeliads on suction cups are enough for me.

OMG, these are beautiful!

your bromeliads:

Not sure how I feel about :

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 6, 2017

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

bEatmstrJ posted:

Also, i'm enjoying the speculation about what my bathtub pit is for so I'm not going to ruin it. Continue talking amongst yourselves.
Welcome back, OP. I knew you wouldn''t disappoint.

JoelJoel posted:

Bathroom could use a fire pit.

I have bathroom fireplace photos but no bathroom fire pits photos for you.

Either of those your aesthetic?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I think, depending on where you live, that the building permit people may even have special (maybe voluntary) paperwork and advice for owners doing work on their own property.

Also I know you are trying to keep what's going under the tub a secret surprise but could we please have a hint?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I have insomnia... so with no hints, I found a bathroom that had many elements members of the thread has said they like.

And this moss wall!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Effective-Disorder posted:

Second one looks like step 1 in a 6 step plan that goes like: 'LEED Over-certification' -> 'Boutique Wilderness Reclamation' -> 'Ferngully' -> 'I think I'm trapped in one of those biodome thingies' -> 'More Ferngully' -> 'ALL THE MOSS'

I get the feeling it's plumbed for irrigation or something. Or, it was one of those relaxing water-walls that somehow just got taken over by weaponized woods-minge and nobody said anything.

I do like the moss wall, I just feel like it's going to go too far one day and eat the house.

I'm concerned you may be right...

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Better than anyone knew to hope for.

Beet Wagon posted:

This is one of those things that I look at and go "Holy poo poo that's dope I'm doing that in my bathroom" but then I remember that I live in a normal middle-class home on a cul-de-sac and not a Tom Cruise science fiction movie and if I made one of my walls out of moss I would never be able to make the rest of my house look future-ey enough to match it.

I don't know, I think they probably can be in different styles. I believe in you.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I'm a therapist and researcher/data scientist, I took physics in college but don't remember it. Can someone please explain what second moment means? And sheer vs compression sounds familiar but I also don't remember that part. Equations are fine! I figure if I don't know, other people don't either, that's why I'm asking itt rather than googling.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Neutrino posted:

I graduated with a BSCE in Structural Engineering. The first moment is when you say "Oh poo poo! The second moment is when you break your spine.

Great, I wrote that down. Thank you. :v:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Learning this is awesome! Thanks everyone for explanations!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Like a hammock tub?

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/JyTHY6o

Sorry, I'm up in the middle of the night phone posting, so not sure how to post pictures from that gallery right now.

Edit: now I'm making tea.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Apr 10, 2017

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Jestery posted:

I can't tell if it's flexible or not, or which is worse

Also seems to come in gold color:

This one isnt a hammock but is hanging:

And a more "proper hammock"

Same one, different owner, I think:

(whoa, how does all the engineering stuff work around curves?)

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 10, 2017

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

One of my best friends, my partner, and I watched the Grand Designs episode with the hammock tub last night. Thank you for tip, Bred.

Here are some of our comments.

Well, those were definitely some accents that those people have.
Partner: i think that spending 1/10 of your entire building-a-house budget on the bathtub is a LITTLE misguided, but the guy was so earnestly excited, i couldn't fault him.
BFF: It's ridiculous to wear tweed suit jackets at a construction site, esp UNDER YOUR VEST.

Also theres a door that leads outside and does not have a balcony, just a ten foot drop.

It was certainly a house that an architect designed!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Blacula posted:

No Rumpus Room? 6/10

The internet tells me a rumpus room is a recreational room, like a den. I was imagining something far more neon.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

And here I was, worried that we didn't have a good derail going into this weekend. Some results for "rain shower."

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

bEatmstrJ posted:

There were a lot of unrelated items on the quote, but the joist repair line item read as follows:
Repair floor joist (ball park number may need to revise after architect and inspector give recommendations) - $5500

Less than those hammock tubs!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I have a tight deadline for work this week so you better believe I'll be posting weird glass bottom bathtubs to procrastinate tomorrow. Glasstubs galore.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

As promised:
Are you going to take me home tonight?

Oh beside that red firelight.

Are you gonna let it all hang out?

Glass bottom tubs, you make the rocking world go round.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I missed this one at first, but it seems most suited to the OP's aesthetic:

And a light up one!

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 18, 2017

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Did you just invent the electric hot water heater? Or the electric kettle?

Bath. Tub. Kettle.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

mmmmmm bathtub minestrone

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

bEatmstrJ posted:

The border would only extend about six inches around the base of the tub in each direction. Because the tub angles outward at the top you would only have to step out an extra 1 or 2 inches.

A bathtub with different flooring around it... that is also in a hallway?

Facebook Aunt posted:

Huh, they made a tub just for vore fetishits? Look at the tiny woman in the bowl of cereal/soup!
:eyepop:

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 28, 2017

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

therattle posted:

That looks delicious

:barf:

:barf: :barf: :barf:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

learnincurve posted:

It's the last one. The ultimate rich person goal currently is "I'm so rich my house is completely private and if I send the staff away I can bath right here naked on my veranda and no one will see me"

Bad Munki posted:

Yo just get some hybrid willow and you'll have that inside a year or two even if you live in the middle of town.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

90% of the time these all-glass bathrooms are overlooking the water though, which means anyone in a boat can peep your dilz.
?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Voight Kampf bath.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Holy moly, this just got interesting again! Can I send you some links of ways to test for mold and bacterial growth? :science:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Great, I'll reach out to my sister-in-law, who is a molecular biologist and then circle back around.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Okay sister in law was going to bed but some quick pointers!
1. Good idea to try to figure something out at home. 2. This is a study, not an experiment. You are learning something at home, but not changing variables to see what changes (unless I understand this incorrectly) 3. Try to replicate real life conditions as well as possible, so you probably want foot water, not hand water, and 4. how many layers of rock will there be?

More details when she and I talk more! :science:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Okay, I have more complete advice from molecular biologist sister-in-law (sistertron):

sistertron posted:

he should take a bath and collect several >100 mL aliquots of the water in sterile containers
one of them he should pour on the rocks
actually, he should pour one of them on the rocks each day for a number of days
one of them should just sit in the sun
if they get cloudy, something is growing.
start with a pool testing kit to ID

Let's do this. :science:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I'm a woman who is only speaking for myself, and I don't see anywhere in the plan for storage, which is massively important to me in a bathroom. Also I care about natural light for doing my makeup, and a proper exhaust fan.

E: That's what I get for getting a tea and responding without refreshing. Beaten by a more thorough treatment by Tiny Brontosaurus.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I'm not going to disagree about tile counters, but why choose something even harder to clean?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Now I'm never going to learn to test rock bath water for mold. :negative:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

I'm not sure quite how to reconcile these two posts.

Does it go without saying that if you self-host images you're asking to be doxxed? What's the line you're trying to draw?

He has a link to his website in his Something Awful profile, as well.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Sure, I understand that his site is not hard to find. I'm just not sure if SM is saying "you linked your site so you're fair game" or "no offsite sources however easy to find".

I also am not sure, just adding more information. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I'm on a phone, but does someone have a link to that "u wan sum fuk" bird edition video?

Edit: found it! https://youtu.be/-TcLxlkc2pA

• Locked thread