Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You know those are from show homes right OP? Wonderful at the exhibit or on television, but unless you have a maid who will spend hours cleaning them for you every day they will become the absolute bain of your life in three months time and the bathroom being upstairs will turn them into objects of abject hatred. Please just stop and think "how will I clean them?" Moss mats were linked earlier, please please consider them instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
OP if you want decorative rocks then I have a legit suggestion, why not a nice modern planter filled with pretty rocks and cacti/succulents?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Baronjutter posted:

I've noticed in a lot of show homes and rich people renos I work on the trend is to have as much glass as possible in your bathroom. Surround your tub with floor to ceiling glass.
Is there some huge trend with people having exibitionist fetishes or something? Is it a class thing to prove how much private property you have that you feel secure enough in your privacy from the street/neighbours that you can have curtain walls in your bathroom?

It's the last one. The ultimate rich person goal currently is "I'm so rich my house is completely private and if I send the staff away I can bath right here naked on my veranda and no one will see me"

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm one of those strange people who have actually spent money at lush and spent several hours sat in a lovely hot bath drinking wine and watching a movie. Sod those bath bombs with dried flowers in though, they go all slimy when wet.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Only people with no children and those crazy OCD women who put down "professional mother" as an occupation should ever even think about having a white or stainless steel kitchen at home. You can't keep it clean and if you have basic knowledge of food hygiene then it's simply not needed. But hey if you want to spend 2 hours a day cleaning to keep it looking all shiny then all power to you.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Also with three different things apparently, which is nice because while you were getting the third thing the four year old just smoothed a jam sandwiched down on your counter top.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have four kids and they were small during the time you could not find a kitchen appliance that wasn't stainless steel. It was a dark dark time and I don't want to talk about it :(

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I wonder how many people with stainless steel kitchens clean their kitchen windows with the same degree of fastidiousness? Also I hope people arn't preparing food directly on their surfaces because you should really have different chopping boards for different things and one for chicken all on it's own. :)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
What Im learning here is that Americans have huge bathrooms and that the British are getting a raw deal. One side of my bathroom is bath, then there is a sink, then the toilet, the door is in front of the toilet so you could open it and wave at anyone at the front door.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Psh would you all take a look at Megabound's enormous bathroom, it even has enough space for a little table.

(I wish my bathroom had enough room for a little table :( )

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Disabled and very elderly people who refuse to go into a home get them for free in the UK. Person who buys my Nan's house is getting an awesome walk in bath/shower combo.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

:stare:

Do you live in a time capsule home? I NEED to see the rest of it. I've got a thing for midcentury architecture and design -- my ultimate dream is to buy an atomic ranch and restore it to all its midecentury glory.

... I might find an alternative to the millions of little tiles, though.

I live In an ex-council house built in the 1950s you can buy if you like, it is a superb example of builder grade architecture. Pebble dashed exterior, stunning period Metal door frames, beautifully artexed walls, a coal 'ouse expertly converted into a pantry and a garden thoughtfully conscruted out of hardcore and rubble. The latter feature is an amazing opportunity for the metal detector enthusiast or beginner archaeologist - last week somone found a wheelbarrow left over from the original construction of their home while digging a grave for their cat! What will you find?

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 6, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Please post more pictures of your 1940s house Freakbox :)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Maybe you can PM the OP and cheer him up with a nice wholesome conversation about how all the white knights are leaping to defend all the triggered females and arn't they all pathetic?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Congratulations on your 10 year SA birthday though Shadowgate. :)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If you make it through to the end then you get rewarded with pictures of a wonderful time capsule house.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You and I have very similar bathrooms only there is a window where your mirror is which goes across to the bath and the last person painted the walls light brown.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Once again our old friend the bidet comes into play.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have never had a casual conversation in real life about gender. :shrug: but then I've spent my adult life in a place where people get called "duck" or "love" no matter the gender. Took my dad quite some time to get used to being called love by bus drivers.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You find it north of Nottingham all the way to stoke, it's a corruption of duka which is the Anglo-Saxon word for duke. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Sheilas?

• Locked thread