Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Holy loving poo poo. We have a new grover.

You aren't supposed to cut the flanges on engineered beams!!! You just made your project a LOT bigger. Those beams will need to be replaced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

cakesmith handyman posted:

Yeah, he knows. Read before posting.

:waycool:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

bEatmstrJ posted:

there are some smart people on this forum who certainly know more than I do about many things.

Have you learned your lesson and will ask next time before you do anything that could possibly affect the structural capacity of your house?

You know, you're lucky you posted that picture and got called out on it. Otherwise, the tub and whoever was in it may have ended up in the room underneath after a few uses.

Somebody post the Cleveland gag from Family Guy.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

bEatmstrJ posted:

Actual Translation (since you're a moron): The kind of engineer that would insult someone rather than being professional and offering courteous advice, then touting themselves as being an engineer. It's the equivalent of me having a heart attack on the street and a doctor pointing and laughing saying, "Haha you're dumb cause you're having a heart attack! BTW I'm a doctor!". It's a douchebag move and you're obviously a douchebag as well for not recognizing that. I don't expect anyone to help me for free. But just getting help has been a challenge in itself.

We all have expensive lessons in life but I'm a quick learner. I've gotten far in life by doing things myself and learning from my mistakes. I'm sure people are going to continue to give me poo poo because it makes them feel better about themselves. But at the end of the day I still get to feel better about myself for getting up and doing something most people don't have the balls to do themselves, mistakes or otherwise.

There are certainly a lot of details, like vapor barriers, that will come up during this project. I have pretty fair knowledge of most of the tasks I'm doing, but there are still some things I plan to leave to professionals, like the shower. Either way, I appreciate your much more constructive feedback and hope other people will take the same approach.

I found your LinkedIn page. "Self-taught DIY expert." :lol:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Kazinsal posted:

:laffo: The LinkedIn equivalent of putting "CEO at being a dad" and "PhD at school of life" on your facebook to match your dad mullet and frosted tips.

This thread just keeps on giving.

For the record, he doesn't work in construction or anything remotely related. In fact, the only reason he does poo poo DIY is because he's a major skinflint. Check out the homepage link in his profile.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

sneakyfrog posted:

I realize the goonpile is fun friend but lets respect a few lines for funs sake.

What's more important: laughing at this idiot, or a safe house that won't hurt anyone?

neonbregna posted:

Please stop doxxing him or he won't come back

He'd better. I doubt he got permits for any of this, being cheap and all.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 5, 2017

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

OSI bean dip posted:

Before you go, I wanted to ask about junction boxes again:

I saw this photo in your open directory:

Yet in this image it shows that it is sealed:

How do you get access to the junction boxes there?

I recognize that bed! He posted a couple years back in the electrical thread about that very bed and we had to fight with him then about it!

found it. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3090739&pagenumber=158&perpage=40#post454249560

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 6, 2017

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

bEatmstrJ posted:

Yep, and now I know more because of it. Turns out your solution was easier than mine anyway, I just didn't know it could be done that way.

So you completely loving up your first DIY try and then ignoring everyone's advice is a common occurrence then?

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 6, 2017

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

bEatmstrJ posted:

So I think we've gotten off on the wrong foot here.

My thick skin is wearing thin and I'm about ready to bail on this thread which i'm sure would give you all plenty to talk about.

I love sharing my projects with people and with every project I learn an immense amount, this one included. But unfortunately there is no good way to deal with the thread making GBS threads that is occurring here.

There are many approaches I could take:
- Should I apologize for being an amateur? Well that will probably just lead to more and more people telling me i'm in over my head.
- Should I ignore everyone and just keep doing what I planned on doing my way? Well that will probably just result in people calling me an idiot and giving me new (soon to be irrelevant custom titles).
- Should I listen to advice and continue to defend myself everyday? Well that doesn't seem to be working so far cause everyone is still calling me an idiot.

I'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat to anyone, but a lot of people are being an rear end in a top hat to me which is forcing me to look like an rear end in a top hat while defending myself. It's a bit of a catch 22.

It should be VERY clear to everyone that I'm contacting contractors and engineers to find a solution to my current bathtub predicament. There's absolutely zero reason to continue to bash me about it until I move forward with any solutions.

I've said it several times before. I'm an ambitious DIYer. I call myself a DIY expert on LinkedIn and I don't think there is anything wrong with that (especially for a resume). I've done a huge variety of projects in my past (none to this extreme so far), and I know a lot about a lot of different trades. But I don't know every detail about every trade and I have no problem admitting that.

It takes a lot of guts for me to post a project like this on a forum of very smart people who are quick to pick out every minor detail. This doesn't make me an idiot.

There's not a lot I can do at this point to get anyone to respect me and I'm not going to try to get people to do that. But I will continue to seek advice going forward and do things to the best of my ability. But if it's just going to turn into a huge dogpile on me then there's no need for me to continue sharing.

I know it's a lot to ask, but let's all try to be civil and constructive and i'll try not to sound like I know everything, cause I don't.

I can tell you're a salesman.

Stop trying to make yourself sound better. Nobody gives a poo poo about your "guts". You're an idiot who hosed up majorly, then tried to talk his way out of it.

I still don't think you've learned your lesson about this. I'm halfway thinking about reporting you to your city just to make sure you do. They have a handy dandy online code violation inspection request form!

bEatmstrJ posted:

I didn't ignore advice. I used the advice that was given to me in that thread.

Prove it. Post a picture of the plug for that thing.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

bEatmstrJ posted:

I'll post it if you tell me it will change any part of your opinion about me for the better.

Now that I reported you to your city's building division who will make you actually follow through, I feel better already.

glynnenstein posted:

I feel like you shouldn't be doxing people and calling authorities because you just don't believe him when he says he's getting it fixed, dude.

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, he's not flipping this house or saying he's just going to tile over it all over and ignore it. let him fix the thing.

It's really cute that you guys care more about lulz on the internet than actual human beings living in that house.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Burt Sexual posted:

Show me the form.

It is online? Also, I'm not going to post any doxx. This guy has enough problems already.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Zeris posted:

lol OP dumbass you let these internet jerks scare you, you think anyone posting on SOmething Awful dot com actually understands engineering or manual labor? You got fooled.

Hold the phone. Wasn't grover also a GIP mod???

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Slugworth posted:

Well poo poo, does this mean we're never gonna find out why he needed to sink the tub 3 inches?

Handicapped maybe? Physically I mean.

He's standing in most of the pictures. Also, this is a second floor bathroom. If he's good enough to climb stairs, he's good enough to get into a tub.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Facebook Aunt posted:

I wonder how many places on the forums link to this thread now? I've seen it in 4 different threads. Good job, op!

Which threads are those? I found the OSHA thread in GBS and I linked to it here in the crappy construction thread.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Slugworth posted:

Are you sure? That is to say, a majority of connections in a properly built home will be in outlet, light, and switch boxes. Outside of unfinished spaces, there shouldn't actually *be* junction boxes. So it's not that you are in homes with hidden ones, you're likely just in homes where the only true junction boxes are in the attic or unfinished basement where they belong.

Not sure how long it's been code for, but I'd hazard a guess at 'a long time' - Anecdotally in my years of doing demo, I can count on one hand the amount of times I opened a wall/ceiling and found a junction box I wasn't expecting - Every time being in a poorly renovated basement.

You're right about it being a long time. Knob and tube allowed for in wall splices, but that's about it.

Also, you can get around a lot of the electrical code for fixtures like that by making them plug in appliances. That way, buried junctions suddenly become legal. We told him to do that in the electrical thread. That's why I asked him to post a picture of its power cord, and he didn't deliver.

Edit: both the plug and outlet for this "appliance" have to be accessible too BTW.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 6, 2017

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

bEatmstrJ posted:

I told you exactly what it would take for me to deliver, but since it wouldn't change your mind there was no point in delivering just to make you happy.

But if you'd open your eyes a bit you can see quite clearly in the very pic you quoted that there is an appliance cord connected to the junction box right there just waiting to be plugged in. The plug and outlet are just as accessible as a refrigerator. But this still won't change your opinion.

Nice try. There's no outlet in the picture.

I assure you, my "opinion" of you now is mostly based on you calling people idiots when you're the fuckhead who lets his wife sleep is the room next to this one, when you live in a major earthquake area. Also, I know how many bedrooms your house has. I'd be willing to bet that you have some kids too. If you were smart, you'd move them somewhere else for the time being. But no, you'd rather try to spin this into you not being a dumbass than protect your family.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

bEatmstrJ posted:

Why the gently caress would I put an appliance cord in a junction box if I didn't have anything to plug it into? Seriously, you're just trolling for the sake of trolling. No amount of proof would sway your opinion. You probably think the Earth is flat too.

Because you're an idiot?

I like how you completely ignored your family's safety.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Holyshoot posted:

also OP you might want to google how to make a directory not browseable and apply that to your website where you host your images. Or use imgur like any normal person.

Too late. I already archived them, just in case he deletes anything before the inspectors can see them.

Effective-Disorder posted:

Don't listen to the trolls. I understand enough from one and a half semesters of the architecture program at the community college to know they're just blowing smoke!
You'll be fine if you just stick to your guns and don't give up on this project. I asked a buddy of mine who graduated, and he found a technical document about joist repairs.

Hope this helps!

I finally read all this. This is awesome.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 6, 2017

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

The original bathroom had a toilet room

There's actually a term of that, "water closet". It sounds Victorian, with how they didn't want to see or even use terms for anything remotely naked.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Ramadu posted:

who on earth archives someones photos in a DIY thread what is wrong with you :psyduck:

...You've never seen someone delete everything incriminating after being caught before, have you?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

There's preserving the thread so it doesn't get lost like groverhouse and there's announcing it to the thread and the OP, doxxing the OP, and making a report.

brugroffil posted:

yeah but nobody cares and you're being creepy and driving him off

ITT people care more about internet lulz than actual humans in danger. lol

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Bad Munki posted:

You could have just done your hero business silently and let us have this, a real hero doesn't expect recognition

I don't give a poo poo about recognition. I've tried to help this guy at least twice over the years, but he's still a shithead to me and everyone else trying to help him. Now he's put his family in danger and would rather argue about it on the internet instead.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Yawgmoth posted:

you archiving this guy's poo poo and looking him up on everywhere isn't gonna save anyone's life you incredible autist

10 Beers posted:

Don't act like you did it for any noble reason. If you did, you wouldn't have come in the thread being a creepy loving weirdo then telling everyone about it. You would've kept being a creepy loving weirdo to yourself, reported it, and not said a word about it. Not to mention the fact your little safety Crusade isn't gonna do poo poo.

:grovertoot:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Burt Sexual posted:

What the gently caress does this have to do with laughing at this guy? What are his kids names KS? Doesn't DIY have a no stalk rule? If not, it should. Ban this chuckle gently caress.

It shows that maybe more than his and his wife's lives are in danger. I'm not sure if he even has kids. I guessed that based on how big his house is and how old he looks. I'm not going to look up his kids. That's really loving creepy and it's not like anyone else sawed through his joists.

Fiveace Attorney posted:

Was looking up his linkedin and bragging about it part of your masterplan to help and support the OP. Maybe you should see if you can find his facebook profile to make sure he's not in any immediate danger

I posted that bit because it was hilarious.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 6, 2017

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Effective-Disorder posted:

I'm happy you enjoyed it. I see you obtained a nice avatar for your tireless efforts as an internet detective vigilante stalker building inspector. Pretty cool compared to your old one, I must say.

This doesn't quite look like a situation where the house is in imminent danger of total collapse. Also I haven't seen any kids running around like "Daddy, daddy! Look there's a big loving hole in the floor! And I'm gonna go jump on it and die horribly while you and mommy snort crushed up pills whilst complaining about strangers on the internet!" You can't say "it's for the kids!" like you've found pictures on his account of a black van full of candy and chloroform.

Somehow, this thread went from a stage-one goon well to pissing in such a short span*... That's not solely you, but it looks like your reaction had something to do with your history with the guy and his weird electrical-fire bed frame. You have some kind of complex about people not taking your advice, in addition to any legit frustrations you have with idiots harming others through negligence. You went ahead and dug your own well next to his, and started drilling holes in the wall to take pictures, piss, and make spooky ghost noises like a jackass.

Even if you're being honest about your motivations, I think you took it a bit far for your own satisfaction. If this guy manages to accomplish anything safely, it will only be in spite of your actions. Nobody has to baby the guy, and it is funny to point out how blindly he hosed up. But, you effectively building-department-swatted him because you didn't like his attitude. That's pretty hosed up.

*(Ha)

Add the weight of a tub. Now add the weight of 50+ gallons of water. Now add 400 pounds for your average goon. Tell me how that wasn't going to collapse eventually.

You've never dealt with DIY types like this guy before, have you? The ones that are all gung-ho about tearing open walls and floors despite not really knowing what they're doing. He's not the first DIYer I've met like this, and he won't be the last. DIYers like him take personal affront to other people disapproving of their disasters, then go at them anyway. You're assuming that the engineers and contractors he talked to actually exist. All of his shenanigans would have been nipped in the bud if he had just done a project of this scope properly and got approved plans and permits. Then he would have heard "don't cut through your load bearing floor" and not get permits for it until he comes around and actually does it right. If he has to be dragged kicking and screaming into not hurting anyone, so be it. I honestly don't think he would have done it otherwise.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with being an amateur DIYer. If you're not sure about a project, then post for help BEFORE you do anything dangerous. If you do mess up, actually take the advice and don't insist you're still right and everyone else is wrong when god and everyone can see you messed up.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Burt Sexual posted:

But why did you look up how many bedrooms he has?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3813464&perpage=40&pagenumber=9#post471100820

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
God drat. You all managed to scare the OP away without me, just by calling him a misogynist.

• Locked thread