Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Slugworth posted:

Well poo poo, kid sinister was a good go-to for electrical advice. Now I'm gonna end up doing something even more disastrous then beatmaster.

well hopefully someone else will be able to provide advice that doesnt involve them tracking down your family years later if you dont follow their every word

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Not really interested in the lights going out whenever I'm taking a shower. That sounds like something that I'd put in and then remove once the inspector's gone.

Speaking of shower lights, my folks have a timer light switch where you can hit a button on there for e.g. 10 minutes and it'll turn off automatically after that time. That's actually pretty useful.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

If its so precious to conserve, give it a usage cap.

as was said before:

tangy yet delightful posted:

Because that would effect rich people more than poor people. Duh.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

kimcicle posted:

You need to have only one light controlled by the vacancy sensor in a bathroom. So the vacancy sensor connected lights do the lights above the vanity, then have a separate on/off switch for a light in the shower. If you're in the shower too long, the bathroom lights will turn off but your shower light will still be on.

Ah ok that sounds more reasonable

xwing posted:

Well... who's building new stuff that this code is being enforced with? Not the poors.

This is the purpose of most california zoning law

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

oh, right you are. get those pigtails outside the junction box, no room for wasted space in a proper DIY job.

semi-related: the house i just bought, much like the house i'm currently renting, has normal outlets in the bathroom (with "GFCI Protected" stickers) and a GFCI breaker on the other end of them. is this legit? i mean obviously it's legit because it's legal to sell GFCI breakers but am i looking at downsides?

GFI breakers are more expensive (and sometimes harder to find replacements for) than non-GFI but the same applies to receptacles... TBH I haven't lived in a place with GFI breakers, instead everywhere has just had a lot of GFI receptacles.

In any case it can't hurt to get one of these and check that the stickers are accurate. While you're there may as well also get one of these as well to check for this (and otherwise verifying that 'off' lines are actually off before touching them). Back when I first moved in here, I checked all the outlets with a tester and (happily?) the only problem I found was one outlet with neutral/hot reversed.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

You really learn a lot about eco-friendly cleaners once you've got a septic system to worry about

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Collateral Damage posted:

At a previous job our Oslo office had a sky bar on the top floor of the building. Said bar had a bathroom where the urinal wall was just a floor to ceiling window with a view of our main competitor's office building, so you could stand there and pretend to piss on the competition.

Yes but in Norway pissing on someone is a sign of respect as its how people there used to keep each other warm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

• Locked thread