Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

bEatmstrJ posted:

I would definitely consider myself more of a designer than an engineer.

ya think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Well yeah, being working people with lives and bills to pay they do tend to fill out their schedule rather than keeping it clear and just sitting staring at the phone in case some dude calls randomly and asks them to come over immediately.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

bEatmstrJ posted:

This is exactly correct. Thank you for being a sane person and not piling on the thread poo poo train.

you're not exactly in a great position to be coming down on other people's impulsiveness

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

I still want to know what exactly the plan is that's impossible without cutting up engineered joists. Did he seriously do this just to make the tub an inch or two lower?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

Goddamn son, you should listen to yourself from 6 years ago because that guy seems like less of a fuckup to be honest. Your smug attitude is pretty loving hilarious though so maybe just keep going with this trainwreck.

You better watch what the gently caress you say to a Certified DIY Expert

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Just gonna toss this thread a 5 in case I hadn't already and sincerely ask the OP to keep us posted.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

10 Beers posted:

Don't act like you did it for any noble reason. If you did, you wouldn't have come in the thread being a creepy loving weirdo then telling everyone about it. You would've kept being a creepy loving weirdo to yourself, reported it, and not said a word about it. Not to mention the fact your little safety Crusade isn't gonna do poo poo.

Seriously. How loving great would it have been if a few weeks down the line he comes in with "WHICH ONE OF YOU FUCKERS REPORTED ME?" But nope we gotta get the creepy rear end internet stalker announcing his every move and ruining the thread for everyone.

Whoever said to link this to Vice as a perfect capsule of SA culture didn't know how right they were.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

kid sinister posted:

It shows that maybe more than his and his wife's lives are in danger. I'm not sure if he even has kids. I guessed that based on how big his house is and how old he looks. I'm not going to look up his kids. That's really loving creepy and it's not like anyone else sawed through his joists.

I posted that bit because it was hilarious.

you hosed up in spectactular fashion and now you're doubling down on it, defending it on the basis of your intentions

this sounds awfully familiar

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

kid sinister posted:

three paragraphs of poo poo nobody cares about

:getout:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Is the idea to have a recirculator going all the time, and have the tub basically be a waterfall fountain when its not bathtime? That'd be kinda neat.

Also the trickling water sounds would help you pee :v:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Effective-Disorder posted:

I can't afford to spend money on lessons at Brick and Mortar Established Music Tutors because I'm broke / a total cheap-wad. But, I am still a piano owner, and hopefully someday a piano user. So there's that.

This guy doesn't have PMs, so sorry for the brief thread derail everyone:

three suggestions:

1) Do you have a community college nearby? Then there's a real good chance you've got access to cheap piano lessons. Almost every community college in America has at least a rudimentary music program, and piano is almost always a core class for music majors, since it's a very effective way to teach reading written music and the basics of pitch/chord theory. Tuition varies but it's unusual to see more than $50/unit. Also, your state or local jurisdiction may have income-based tuition discounts, such as California's Board Of Governors' waiver. If you're really broke enough to be in the market for beer-money lessons, look into this. You may be able to get lessons for even less than beer money.

2) The Something Awful Forums › The Finer Arts › No Music Discussion › Musician's Lounge › PIANO MEGATHREAD: How to start out

3) https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=piano lessons

No time like the present! A free piano that's in tune and not getting played is a sad thing!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Green walls are extremely my poo poo. And yeah, that one is definitely plumbed. Usually it's a drip setup with a timer, like you'd see in a flowerbed or something.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

bEatmstrJ posted:

Second, if I had notched those out instead, how would that have affected it?

Are you asking how badly buttfucked tenderly caressed those wall studs you plumbed through are?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

brugroffil posted:

Creating sharp edges with square notches to a beam like that also creates big stress concentrators. The stress can't "flow" around a sharp corner and local stresses shoot way up over what the average stresses might be. I forget the math off the top of my head, but here's a diagram:

If you need to cut notches in structural members, try to round your corners!

This instinctively looks and sounds like total hocus pocus, but it's exactly why the windows of metal-skinned aircraft have widely rounded sides. Because many moons ago someone looked at the common wisdom among shipbuilders that all hull-penetrating holes (portholes, anchor lines, etc) should be as close to perfectly round as possible and went "phht whatever old man, don't try to foist your baseless, unexamined cultural inertia on me. you're just mad that I'm disrupting your industry." and then some planes split in half and people died

edit:

Hubis posted:

That reminds me of one of my favorite engineering factoids:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rXGRPMD-GQ

gently caress MY BUTT

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Mr. Mambold posted:

What does this mean?

bunch of poo poo that make no kind of useful comparison to anyone but an engineer

"hey I need to build a floor, what cross-sectional area of dimensional lumber does the code specify for joists? how many pounds of wood products should I buy to frame the roof?"

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 7, 2017

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

An upper doxer, if you will.

:perfect:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

I know some people who do carbon fiber work and there is no way this thing should cost more than a nice car. As a cool one-off order something like that could be made by any half decent shop for the 5-6k range as a whole design-build deal. Something mass produced should be maybe 1000.

34k, that's just insane. I'm sure they justify 90% of that cost for the artistic sculptural value of their brilliant design.

The price is a selling point, not a drawback. Someone buying that poo poo wants to be sure that when they're slumming it with their government worker friends, they're not going to find out they have the same gimmick tub.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Lladre posted:

That thirty four thousand dollar hammock tub is still cheaper than OP's tub.

:master:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

"Why do I have to do thing thats objectively better for society? Don't they know I have money?"
-People who need to gtfo of California

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

kimcicle posted:

You need to have only one light controlled by the vacancy sensor in a bathroom. So the vacancy sensor connected lights do the lights above the vanity, then have a separate on/off switch for a light in the shower. If you're in the shower too long, the bathroom lights will turn off but your shower light will still be on.

ugh you're ruining my ability to rage against the oppressive regime of environmentally-mindful building codes

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

The codes include stuff like that so that even the cut-every-corner, all-the-workers-are-on-meth McMansion tract construction companies are installing LEDs and vacancy sensors. It means that entities that have absolutely no self-interest-incentive to install power-saving devices will do so.

Taxing power consumption wouldn't do poo poo in those cases. People living in apartment blocks and cheap housing (as in, millions of Californians) would just be eating the higher cost of electricity because they either wouldn't be able to afford to swap out all the electrical in their new house, or they flat-out wouldn't be allowed to because they're renting. The state is more aggressive than just taxing power because taxing power wouldn't accomplish jack poo poo.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

OMGVBFLOL posted:

The codes include stuff like that so that even the cut-every-corner, all-the-workers-are-on-meth McMansion tract construction companies are installing LEDs and vacancy sensors. It means that entities that have absolutely no self-interest-incentive to install power-saving devices will do so.

Taxing power consumption wouldn't do poo poo in those cases. People living in apartment blocks and cheap housing (as in, millions of Californians) would just be eating the higher cost of electricity because they either wouldn't be able to afford to swap out all the electrical in their new house, or they flat-out wouldn't be allowed to because they're renting. The state is more aggressive than just taxing power because taxing power wouldn't accomplish jack poo poo.

man, this was way more aggressive and goony than it needed to be. time to log off the web site

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

bEatmstrJ posted:

In other news, today I learned another fun California code law that doesn't allow you to have showers that have more than one feature that can be used at the same time.

Maybe that explains some of the weird shower contraptions I've seen that have a bunch of heads and features all coming off a single pipe.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Phanatic posted:

Meanwhile, they'll let almond farmers pull as much water out of the ground as they want to.

i know right? what's agriculture ever done for anyone

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Phanatic posted:

buuuut myyy laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Phanatic posted:

I live about as far away from your whack-rear end state as it's possible to live and still be in the continental US.

thank the gently caress christ

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

I've heard of fire inspectors in SF openly sandbagging inspections of businesses who won't pony up an extra five hundred bucks for the inspector's time. The Police shake down bars and liquor stores for cash in exchange for avoiding ID stings and citations for beverage law compliance. et cetera. SF is corrupt as hell, it wouldn't surprise me if that guy paid his way to code compliance.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I lived with a boyfriend in his parents house in Ohio. They were fairly wealthy and had a giant mansion-like house, and one room that was roped- off, that his crazy mother rarely let anyone allow to walk inside. She called it her princess room, and it was basically a shrine to Princess Diana. White carpet, fancy velvet couch, hundreds of Diana portraits in golden frames, dolls that looked like Diana (so many dolls), Diana memorabilia, magazine covers, books, etc etc. But best of all, a gigantic clear glass grand piano with a gigantic picture of Princess Diana's face on the top of it, with the word "FOREVER". I'll never forget that room, i'll never forget how horrible his mother was, and i'll never forget peeing in the middle of her perfectly white carpet in that creepy room before I moved away forever.

hell. yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

rear end in a top hat casserole posted:

It's personal preference of course, but all the different patterns just drive my eyes crazy. Looks like something my "designer" MIL would put together. :barf:

this. it's so aggressively suburban in palette and pattern that its annoying just to look at

• Locked thread