Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

brugroffil posted:

I'm not sure how much a woman will enjoy an oppressively masculine dark black-and-red bathroom with minimal natural lighting tbh. That bathroom is going to be very dark. I know I'd take a pass or come in with a lower offer than I'd make on the "builder's grade" bathroom.

I guess I should also note that the design has changed a bit from the original; The red wall is going away. But yes, it will be somewhat dark. But that will be offset a bit by a lot of lighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

OSI bean dip posted:

Wow. You pretty much match my impression of sales engineers once again.

Apparently you've never bought a house with a wife? Under most circumstances the wife makes the final say on whether or not a couple buys a home. I've heard this from the many real estate agents I've worked with in the past that assure me this is most often the case.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I'm a woman and while I don't speak for all women, nothing about that bathroom suits the way I'd want to use the space even ignoring the aesthetic side of things.

I like as much natural light as possible for putting on my makeup, and just waking myself up in the morning, and you boarded up a window. The dark gray stone and red paint are also going to soak up all the artificial light and make the bathroom dank and cave-like, so hard to see what I'm doing.

The tub is awkwardly-placed and has nowhere but that tiny notch in the wall to store soaps, oils, grooming tools, or the book, wine, and music player I'd need to have a properly girly soak.

The shower is cavernous, and thus would be freezing unless you had both showerheads going, there's again nowhere to store anything, and like a lot of women I prefer a removable showerhead so I can clean my body without getting my hair wet, because drying and setting it is a pain in the rear end I like to save for shampoo days. You've got a sort of bench thing I think that might be workable for shaving your legs on, but it forces you to stand in the path of the shower, meaning your shaving soap is going to constantly rinse off while you're working, not to mention your hair's getting wet again.

The sinks, again, no storage space, no clear flat workspace for laying out hot tools, makeup, and cosmetics. If that low part in between is meant to be the vanity, it's cramped and has no mirror, no lighting, and only one electrical socket, which is frequently not enough when I've got a blow-dryer going, a flat iron heating up, and I want to charge my phone.

I don't see anywhere to store towels or robes either.

Some girls are definitely a lot more wash-and-go than I am, but the fact that you're thinking of wooing a woman with a luxury bathroom makeover in the first place means you probably go for a traditional type of girl. Traditional girls tend to need bathroom storage and a place to plug in their hot rollers.

Since you took the time to respond constructively, I'll do the same.

I'd like to keep as much natural light as possible, but relocating the shower forced me to block one of the windows. That being said, there are still two very large windows in the bathroom which is without question more than your average bathroom has, including the large master bathroom I had in my previous home.

The tub will be in the exact same location it was prior to the remodel. If anyone awkwardly placed it, its the original home builders. That being said, I don't feel its out of place. It will be in a corner and under a window, which is where most tubs reside. As for the tub storage, the notch in the wall is not tiny, but it is also not a bookshelf. Most modern designs don't have a lot of clutter, and my design doesn't allow for a lot of clutter on purpose.

The shower is cavernous. I'm not sure if you've used a large shower before but I had a multi-head large shower in my previous bathroom and it didn't get cold. Unless you're shaving, chances are you will still be under some part of the water stream which will keep you warm. Additionally my design has floor to ceiling glass which will trap in heat (while still having a vent so as not to make a mildew pit). There are two notches in the shower, opposite the shower heads, to hold shampoo and soaps for storage, and two perfectly good benches to store excess items on if needed. There will be a hand shower installed as well (this is hard to add in a 3d render with my skill level). Also there should be no problems standing out of the water whilst shaving with the amount of space in the shower (and various faucet controls).

The vanity tops don't allow for a lot of storage on top, but there will be some, including the middle section. There are storage cabinets and drawers under the sinks which will provide a fair amount of storage. There is an additional vanity that will be large and dedicated for makeup with a large mirror, ample storage and plenty of light, counter space and outlets. This is not shown in my 3d rendering but will be inside of the bathroom taking the place of the old shower.

There is no dedicated robe storage but with the closet being right next to the shower door it would be easy to store them inside the closet. It would also be pretty easy to add some robe hooks in the bathroom if I decide to go that route. There will be towel shelves as part of the design (again not shown in the 3d render).

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

OSI bean dip posted:

I am married and can tell you that you have a really depressing outlook on marriage. I guess that can explain why you're living the bachelor life after all.

I do. That's because the marriages i'm in close relation to are more depressing than happy. I have a good life and maybe some day I'll get married, but I'm certainly not in a rush.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

yeah. but you're still a bigot, so

This is called the "ad hominem" fallacy.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Oof. I am straining sooooo haaardddd to play good cop here, but anybody who's seen any of my colorful red titles from D&D knows how I feel about your sexism. And what I get in return? A hobbyist vandal condescending to me about shower sizes.

Your notches suck. poo poo's going to fall out of them. A lot of toiletries come in odd-shaped or oddly-balanced containers and when women choose bathroom storage they tend to choose something with a retaining rim to keep everything from falling out. If you ever do land a woman the first thing she'll do is ugly up your "modern design" with some aftermarket shower storage, because the only option you've built in is some dumb notches that will gather water and grime and rain shampoo bottles onto the tile anytime one of you so much as breathes.

You're building a custom bathroom to deleterious expense and your shower storage solution is "leave poo poo scattered on the benches if you want." How modern, how minimal.

There was nothing sexist about what I wrote and I'm certainly not trying to be sexist. Had I wrote, "You've obviously never used a large shower", sure. I can't assume you've used a large shower before, so saying, "I'm not sure if you have" seems fair to me. But lets not split hairs about that. I had one in my previous bathroom and I was simply commenting on my personal experience.

My notches are literally the same as the notches made in every custom (and builder grade) shower I've ever seen. My current shower has the exact same no lip style notch. It's a boxed-in hole cut into the wall. Standard. I won't argue that I've sacrificed some of the existing "table-top" style space that surrounded my previous tub, but I won't defend myself for having MORE storage space than 90% of master bathrooms out there. Its a huge bathroom, It doesn't need to have excessive amounts of storage.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

K, i'm done, this is getting way too goony.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

This is probably a mistake but whatever. It seems we have all calmed down a bit, myself included.

I'd like to say some things now. In a forum. On the internet.
- I said some things that sounded sexist. It was not my intention to sound this way. I don't consider myself to be sexist and I'll refrain from claiming I know everything women want in life. I may not be married, and while my personal relationships are of little relevance, i'm not disconnected from the female sex. Although, as mentioned by someone else, this forum is hardly representative of the average female. That being said, I still stand by my statement that women make home buying decisions (not unfairly, just factly).

- Many of you have expressed "concern" over my design. Stating that it looks akin to a modern Vegas hotel bathroom. Truth be told, if you had asked me what I wanted my bathroom remodel to look like, I would have used the words "modern Vegas hotel bathroom". So I believe I have achieved my goal. The design is not going to change. There will be ample storage, ample light and possibly some rocks. I have designed many rooms and several projects in my previous and current home and have received a lot of praise for those projects. I don't expect you all to like my design and that's ok cause you don't have to live in it, but if you're going tell me you think it looks like poo poo, please post pictures of your own bathroom (as some of you have done) so we can all ridicule you as well (also so I know whether or not you're qualified to dis my design). We all have different tastes, lets be a little more open minded.

- There are several hundred of you and only one of me. It's extremely hard to not get defensive when everyone is making GBS threads on you. 90% of you are just trolling me for your own comedy. That's not why I posted this thread. I'm glad I did post because I've certainly learned a lot (of my mistakes) in doing so. I understand I'm going to get made fun of. YOU should understand that everything is being handled appropriately. But please don't spend all of your energy picking apart everything I say just so you can make another joke. I might say some dumb things. I might say some things that aren't dumb but still get picked apart because I'm the whipping boy of this thread. Lets do our best to keep the trolling to a minimum if that's even possible here.

- I've said I'm not a very private person and will answer most any question I'm asked. But that doesn't mean you need to go posting pictures you found of me on the internet, despite how publicly available they are. This is supposedly ban worthy, unless for some reason "the mod thinks its ok just this once, but lets not do it again ok guys?" I've been asked why I don't just host my images on imgur. Well, back in the day hot-linking to images you didn't host yourself was a banable offence. I had always hosted my own images on my own site and just never changed. That's the only reason. Moving forward I will likely post them on imgur since some of you like to get all stalker and poo poo. Yes, I DJ on occasion, but really that site is just a shitbox for me to store things since I don't advertise anywhere with my DJ website.

- And what's with the job bashing? I mean, I assume no matter what job title I provided I would have gotten the same, "Oh that explains it. He's employed as X. No wonder he's such a fuckup!" Are Sales Engineers really that notoriously bad? Really its my job to keep sales people from saying things that aren't true and showing people how stuff works. It was not an easy job to get and not one that they hand to anyone with a high-school diploma. I do actually have to know a lot of stuff to do my job. But sales is sales, and I'm the last person that would call myself a "salesperson", but I don't know why we are just automatically bad people altogether.

Anyway that's all I can think of for now. Please be nice to me, I'm not better than anyone here, I just like different things.

Also I have nothing to report. Still waiting for engineering plans. Hoping to hear back on that next week.

bEatmstrJ fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 6, 2017

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

SoundMonkey posted:

please actually report back on this because i've stayed in a lot of hotels of varying quality and in some of the nicer ones i've been like "this is a sweet bathroom, i wonder what it'd be like to have it all the time instead of like two days." i'm not planning to rip up my bathroom any time soon so i'm not likely to find out myself.

i have a feeling the answer is "great, but a pain to clean and maintain fixtures" but i legit want to know

question: what was your original timeline for this project? or just a "done when it's done" sorta thing? do you still plan to do roughly the same extent of renovations as before (as much as is possible after the engineer looks at it)?

also thanks for coming back

Well, your thoughts and my thoughts are similar. I've always loved modern design and I figured, in theory, it would be a nice compliment to the "modern Vegas hotel bedroom" that I have now.

Having a large bathroom is going to be difficult to clean no matter what, but for the most part i'm a pretty clean person so it doesn't get excessively dirty. I never had a problem keeping my previous bathroom clean, but now I'm fortunate enough to have a house cleaner to make things a bit easier (just not during my renovation, so things are kinda poo poo right now).

My original timeline was somewhere around 6 months. I started in early January and even with contractor delays I should be relatively close to finishing around that time, maybe slightly later (really this is just dependent upon the permit approval time). It's not really an issue being that I still have a fully functional bathroom, but it would be nice to finish a bit sooner.

The plan hasn't changed from the original design at all as of yet. If the engineer comes back and says, sorry we have to nix the dropped tub, then so be it, but so far so good. If anything, I've added things since my original plan.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Hey OP, one of the reasons we made fun of you is because you keep calling women "females." That's a really lovely, dehumanizing thing to do. We even have an emote about it :females:

Don't do that. Women are people. When you say "females" it reduces us to nothing but our gender. That's the way people talk about animals. It's insulting to do that to a human being and says a lot about who you are.

Your obsession with women having a voice in home buying (aka their own homes, because they are people) is lovely too. If you don't think it's "unfair," why did you say it was and why aren't you letting it drop?

lmao I bet your favorite meal comes from Olive Garden

MAYBE a dozen, you crybaby.

People were really patient with you, telling you how not to kill yourself and your home's future occupants, and you were a smug rear end in a top hat to them. Even when you broke out the sexism I, the ghost who stalks D&D, treated you with kid gloves. You're not a whipping boy, you're a poster boy - for fragile masculinity.

Pretty much nobody thought that was cool, but it wasn't bannable because it was something you linked to yourself. For future reference, imgur is an image hosting website and almost everyone hosts the images they post on SA on there.

Yes.

Please don't drag me back into a "sexist rant", but the whole picking apart what I said is exactly this. I think (I HOPE) its clear to everyone that I'm being sincere and not trying to insult anyone. I think it's pretty clear i'm not referring to animals when I say female, it's semantics.

I was merely posting facts that women have a voice in the home buying process. But you're right, lets drop it. Please.

lmao, Olive Garden! So lolz! Also, not even close.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Do not loving call women "females" you loving rear end in a top hat. If your defense against being told your behavior is sexist is "don't criticize me or I'll get even more sexist!" you are loving trash and I hope your electrified bedframe burns your chinstrap off.

You are the worst kind of female.

Its loving semantics, get over it.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Slugworth posted:

Hey OP, here's a picture of the bathroom in my new home (excuse the drywall debris on the floor, the ceiling is a work in progress).

It's small, and in desperate need of updating, but I haven't caused thousands of dollars in structural damage, so I'm gonna continue posting however I choose to.

Sounds good. I don't understand why bathrooms come with carpet. This has never seemed like a good idea to me. I also have small bathrooms that could probably use some updating.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Snak posted:

It's pretty clever to leave the carpet in while you finish the ceiling, that way it's like a drop cloth when you rip out the carpet.

In the same vein, paint before you take the carpet out for the same reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

OSI bean dip posted:

Explains why at your late 30s you are single.

It really doesn't actually. There are far better reasons. But bitching about minor details makes you a cranky nag. My message and intentions were clear. There was no need to rip it apart because someone feels violated over a subtly different word.

Real question: Has any man in this thread ever been upset by being called a male? If more than three people say yes I'll stop saying female.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread