Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vulcan
Mar 24, 2005
Motobike
No contractor wants to come fix a small portion of a DIY mistake as cheap as possible.
They want you to call them before you start a project, have them do all the work for you and use all their sub contractors so they can turn a quick remodel into a $20,000 project.

What you need is a construction worker who moonlights on craigslist. Yes they exist, sometimes they want to pad their bank account with untaxed dollars and sometimes they are just low on work with their current employer.

The caveat is you get a few of these craigslist people then you need to put on your monocle and sort the wheat from the chaff. The wheat will fix your beam and the chaff will make another notch on the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulcan
Mar 24, 2005
Motobike
Really? Thats about the going rate for them here too, for something basic as a few beams.

When I wanted to take out a load bearing wall and size the beam to replace it, it was $450.

Vulcan
Mar 24, 2005
Motobike
What about using the existing engineered beams as a form to pour a large concrete block? Chain your bathtub to that and its not going anywhere.

Vulcan
Mar 24, 2005
Motobike

Baronjutter posted:

You want something like really porous lava rock to maximize the surface area for mold and moisture retention.

Don't listen to this guy. Get something easy to clean and gently caress the haters saying you'll grow a mold farm in your bathroom.

Obsidian all the way. You can get huge pieces of it and just smash it into the size you need.
If you want to mine it yourself I believe you'll need a diamond pickaxe but don't quote me on that (its been a while).

• Locked thread