Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I liked the original bathroom better. Seemed safer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

bEatmstrJ posted:

I completely disagree with this. Having worked with a number of different contractors in the past, I can say that that the end result (down to specific details) has never been realized by me. Maybe it's different where you live but just getting a contractor to show up is a loving chore around here. I called at least 7 contractors yesterday. One of them answered and answered a few questions but said he couldn't do anything for two weeks. Two of them called back. One said he was busy and couldn't talk until tomorrow but would call me back. The other said he would come over to look tomorrow. So far no one has come over and no one has called back.

So basically I'm 0 for 7 at this point.

I have not had great experiences with contractors which makes me want to do more myself. Perhaps some day when I finally have a good experience I'll change my mind, but the fact of the matter is most of them are poo poo.

Did you tell them you cut out the top of the I beams before or after?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm shocked a trained and skilled craftsman didn't come over the same day to fix a DIYers major fuckfest.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Slugworth posted:

There's really no need to wrap them. I do, because why not, but they're designed not to require it and code doesn't require it.

Bathroom moisture?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

bEatmstrJ posted:

Actual Translation (since you're a moron): The kind of engineer that would insult someone rather than being professional and offering courteous advice, then touting themselves as being an engineer. It's the equivalent of me having a heart attack on the street and a doctor pointing and laughing saying, "Haha you're dumb cause you're having a heart attack! BTW I'm a doctor!". It's a douchebag move and you're obviously a douchebag as well for not recognizing that. I don't expect anyone to help me for free. But just getting help has been a challenge in itself.

We all have expensive lessons in life but I'm a quick learner. I've gotten far in life by doing things myself and learning from my mistakes. I'm sure people are going to continue to give me poo poo because it makes them feel better about themselves. But at the end of the day I still get to feel better about myself for getting up and doing something most people don't have the balls to do themselves, mistakes or otherwise.

There are certainly a lot of details, like vapor barriers, that will come up during this project. I have pretty fair knowledge of most of the tasks I'm doing, but there are still some things I plan to leave to professionals, like the shower. Either way, I appreciate your much more constructive feedback and hope other people will take the same approach.

Look man, I don't think people are being mean or anything just having a laugh dude. I mean it IS funny you cut the supports out from under your future tub. I have mega respect for handy folks that have initiative. I'm rich and lazy lol. Also repeating what I said earlier, no contractor worth a poo poo wants to come in and fix gently caress ups, irrespective how much you pay them. To a degree I guess.

But what's with the big secret reveal on why you just didn't take out the tile?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

bEatmstrJ posted:

I've purposely neglected to mention WHY i'm doing this, but it will be made apparent soon enough. And no, I live in SoCal where the weather is always 80 degrees and sunny, like it literally is today.

Facebook Aunt posted:

I thought the secret was about why he needed to make the tub two inches lower. The answer probably being that he's short, or his wife is short, and has trouble getting into the tub. No reason to be all secretive about that though, the forums have some cool dwarfs and nobody cares that they are short.

I he going to post a picture of him and his wife in the tub? UnSubscribed

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

dangling pointer posted:

He's definitely in over his head.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

kid sinister posted:

I found your LinkedIn page. "Self-taught DIY expert." :lol:

Dude

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I didn't click on your linked in page op, friends? That's bs and childish. Surprised there isn't a ban. This is my first foray into DIY so you guys may be more fyad than I know.

Your still being a bit aloof tho.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

kid sinister posted:

Now that I reported you to your city's building division who will make you actually follow through, I feel better already.

It's really cute that you guys care more about lulz on the internet than actual human beings living in that house.

Show me the form.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

kid sinister posted:

It is online? Also, I'm not going to post any doxx. This guy has enough problems already.

Gj taking the high road goon

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

kid sinister posted:

Nice try. There's no outlet in the picture.

I assure you, my "opinion" of you now is mostly based on you calling people idiots when you're the fuckhead who lets his wife sleep is the room next to this one, when you live in a major earthquake area. Also, I know how many bedrooms your house has. I'd be willing to bet that you have some kids too. If you were smart, you'd move them somewhere else for the time being. But no, you'd rather try to spin this into you not being a dumbass than protect your family.

What the gently caress does this have to do with laughing at this guy? What are his kids names KS? Doesn't DIY have a no stalk rule? If not, it should. Ban this chuckle gently caress.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

SoundMonkey posted:

hi, mod here, wow get hosed

Why isn't he banned? Lowtax even made money off the new av

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

kid sinister posted:

Add the weight of a tub. Now add the weight of 50+ gallons of water. Now add 400 pounds for your average goon. Tell me how that wasn't going to collapse eventually.

You've never dealt with DIY types like this guy before, have you? The ones that are all gung-ho about tearing open walls and floors despite not really knowing what they're doing. He's not the first DIYer I've met like this, and he won't be the last. DIYers like him take personal affront to other people disapproving of their disasters, then go at them anyway. You're assuming that the engineers and contractors he talked to actually exist. All of his shenanigans would have been nipped in the bud if he had just done a project of this scope properly and got approved plans and permits. Then he would have heard "don't cut through your load bearing floor" and not get permits for it until he comes around and actually does it right. If he has to be dragged kicking and screaming into not hurting anyone, so be it. I honestly don't think he would have done it otherwise.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with being an amateur DIYer. If you're not sure about a project, then post for help BEFORE you do anything dangerous. If you do mess up, actually take the advice and don't insist you're still right and everyone else is wrong when god and everyone can see you messed up.

But why did you look up how many bedrooms he has?

He has too big of a house to live with just his wife? Bigger than yours?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

So what information that's factual did you get by searching out his house? Did you google street view it too? What are the school districts?

E:do his kids live close enough to walk to school, or do they likely take the bus?

Burt Sexual fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 6, 2017

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

This is the only thread I've ever read in diy and it's great and I'm glad the stalky weirdo sperg got banned

Same. Really probably put diy on the map for a change. Seemed like a boring premise, but less than comics and anime.

Any other funny threads regulars?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

bEatmstrJ posted:

So my theory that Craiglist people are notoriously flaky and don't want to be bothered is true. Even licensed contractors who just don't want any new work. Why post ads if you're not going to take any work?

Anyway, I changed up my approach and did some contractor digging elsewhere and now have six appointments lined up in the next two weeks.

Interesting, how did you change your approach?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

canyoneer posted:

Yeah that's their attempt of blowing you off politely.

I had to get some roof tiles repaired, and 1/3rds of the roof places that I called didn't return the call, and another third gave a wildly high estimate of what it would cost.
Those guys would rather move their crews to do a whole roof replacement, and if they've got a few of those lined up my little job wasn't worth their time.

Similarly, the contractors you talk to may not want to take your floor issue on either due to small size of it and risk of rework if they've got someone paying them $20k to do a whole kitchen.

Yeah that's my experience. Also, my normal guy guarantees his work for life. I'd imagine a good deal of hesitancy accepting the risk of tub in basement failure.

But good job for coming back op, u got balls.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Evilreaver posted:

Man, I missed KS's allegedly sweet avatar :saddowns: did anyone 'archive it before the evidence was erased'?

''Twas great, gj whomever.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Effective-Disorder posted:

Even if you wedge those things in really snug between the flanges, is screwing them through the flakeboard going to transfer loads properly? You're trying to replace the capacity for compressive strength from the top flange onto something that naturally wants to give in to vertical forces, held together on a different plane with plywood and some screws. It's adding weight and (more importantly) new loading factors in. All the compressive loads are now shearing loads on the interface of the screws, flakeboard, and 2x8. Not to mention the tensile loading on/around that scarf joint possibly leading to torque that can't be accounted for without some math. If you drew a static diagram of that arrangement, it would be a mess.

I've heard a lot of bad juju about mixing dimensional lumber with engineered beams. I'd really sit this one down with an engineer.

http://www.weyerhaeuser.com/woodproducts/document-library/tb-816

This looks like a relevant document, unlike the spoof I made earlier. They've done the math on this.

Edit: Hey, OP! Just for fun, contact the company and show them this picture. Their engineers can give you some idea as to what this might practically mean for you judging by how loud the thud is from their jaws hitting the floor. Seriously though, it isn't a bad idea to ask them what they think you might want to do with this. They designed these things, after all.

That's actually not a bad idea, but they'll say tear our the floor. 😟

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

IncredibleIgloo posted:

It may be if you shower more than once a week.

No shampoo.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
This thread is interesting in that it mirrors political threads with a number of what ifs, lack of accurate/complete information, and shading the truth.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Effective-Disorder posted:

Easy, grow lamps. Sure, the cops might bust down my door looking for pot, but they'll be drat impressed with my lush and verdant bathroom.

Or just get smelly cave plants, and cave salamanders. Then if mushrooms grow out of the floor, nobody will care because it will fit the theme. Goon bathroom.

(Actually, those air plants don't need a hell of a lot of light. A lot of them grow under the canopy of trees, like little parasites. They're cool.)

Funny post

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

OMGVBFLOL posted:

This guy doesn't have PMs, so sorry for the brief thread derail everyone:

three suggestions:

1) Do you have a community college nearby? Then there's a real good chance you've got access to cheap piano lessons. Almost every community college in America has at least a rudimentary music program, and piano is almost always a core class for music majors, since it's a very effective way to teach reading written music and the basics of pitch/chord theory. Tuition varies but it's unusual to see more than $50/unit. Also, your state or local jurisdiction may have income-based tuition discounts, such as California's Board Of Governors' waiver. If you're really broke enough to be in the market for beer-money lessons, look into this. You may be able to get lessons for even less than beer money.

2) The Something Awful Forums › The Finer Arts › No Music Discussion › Musician's Lounge › PIANO MEGATHREAD: How to start out

3) https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=piano lessons

No time like the present! A free piano that's in tune and not getting played is a sad thing!

And we veer to the left lol

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

brugroffil posted:

You can try Angie's List too since it's free now.

I didn't know that! What's the biz model now? Ads?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lladre posted:

That thirty four thousand dollar hammock tub is still cheaper than OP's tub.

Harsh

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

brugroffil posted:

You won't be turning on the bath light or other secondary lights and accidentally leave them on every time you step in to take a piss, grab something out of the medicine cabinet, etc. I think the intention is that the primary light is the one on the vacancy sensor.

Jeez is this that hard to understand? I mean my wife/daughter use a vanity that has 10 lights on the bar. They leave it on all the time. All day. I put in a sensor. Solved. Training them was not working and took more effort. No code req at all, just makes sense

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

FogHelmut posted:

Leaving the lights on is one step away from screwing with your thermostat.

Most of today's SA didn't get this reference

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Thanks for doing my reaseach into thread search hell.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

bEatmstrJ posted:

According to CALGreen compliance as of Jan 1, 2017 the following restrictions have been put into place:

4.303.1.3.1 Single Showerheads: ≤ 2.0 gpm @ 80 psi
4.303.1.3.2 Multiple Showerheads: combined flow rate of all showerheads controlled by a single valve shall not exceed 2.0 gpm @ 80 psi, or only one shower outlet is to be in operation at a time

Also showers can only have more than one shower head if they can be at least 4' apart.

Stop stealing and wasting water, desert dweller.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

FCKGW posted:

NorCal user spotted

gently caress (you) Got Water

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

Yeah, my parents had a bonus room in their condo basement. They dug out a window well and added an egress window, and now it's a bedroom. I forget how much value that added to the condo, but it was substantial. It's got french doors, though, which I find highly annoying on a bedroom, but I don't care that much because I don't live there anymore.

Millennial.txt

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Anne Whateley posted:

Not like a hot tub outside where the water stays in it forever, but a jacuzzi tub in your bathroom seems about as clean as any other bathtub?

I start up our tub jac like once a month to keep it running, and like black poo poo comes out of the jets. Sex w the wifey isn't a consideration.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Facebook Aunt posted:

If you're ok with little tubes of builder-grade lube then more power to you, but I like a different level of lubrication.

A+ name/post combo

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

bEatmstrJ posted:

In reasonably boring news, I took down my vanities and removed the hardibacker from the wall today in prep for the contractors to do the minor plumbing fixes needed and so it can be inspected later. Since the wall is off, i'm probably going to replace the mirror electrical boxes with adjustable boxes and I might swap out the brass pipes with some copper stubouts. That one is up in the air though since the brass ones are working and i'm not sure I have enough slack in the blue PEX on the right to make the switch without adding a coupler.

So far I've had 3 contractors come over and I've received one quote. I have another 3-4 contractors coming this week.

How much was the quote?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

SoundMonkey posted:

i just assumed that's what it was, but...

[x] explanation
[ ] excuse

Makes hanging things more exciting?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

WrenP-Complete posted:

Glass bottom tubs, you make the rocking world go round.

This is loving awesome. OP do this but with your kitchen below.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

SoundMonkey posted:

fuckin' lol if you don't think every single person who posted helpfully wasn't at least a LITTLE tempted.

especially the people who are gonna post after this and lie right to my face and say they weren't.

I'm with the mod so I don't get probed

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Slugworth posted:

I've always wished this place had a 'fix it even faster' thread, where we gave horrible, corner cutting advice.

Pm me as I don't cruise this aisle much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

SoundMonkey posted:

do people still install jacuzzi tubs in tyool 2017? i thought we were all aligning our chakras in hanging teardrop-shaped glass bathing vessels now or whatever.

every time i see one in a hotel i'm like poo poo yeah jacuzzi tub then end up just having a shower because i'm tired

Your bedspread has cum alllll over it btw.

• Locked thread