Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
This beautiful bathroom remodel is only going to add tons of value to the house. I'd suggest immediately after you're finished put this gem on the market. Try to sell it before even trying to fill the tub. It can sometimes be harder to sell a house that has soap scum on a brand new tub. Then the next owner can enjoy the tub to its fullest when you are long gone. Otherwise this is a fantastic job! Do you do side jobs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Shadowgate posted:

Fuckin' goons ruin everything. I was genuinely interested to see how this mess was gonna be fixed.

Google "house collapse"

Oh poo poo, is this the OP's house as #1 result??

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Burt Sexual posted:

That's actually not a bad idea, but they'll say tear our the floor. 😟

It's better to tear out the floor, you will just have to remove the wall you put in and the sink but you will have to put in new floor joists next to the ones you hosed up. There is no point in trying to hack a half-assed solution at this point. The biggest problem is not that maybe it will fail but if your insurance gets wind of this they will drop you like a bathtub falling through a compromised floor.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

WrenP-Complete posted:

I'm a therapist and researcher/data scientist, I took physics in college but don't remember it. Can someone please explain what second moment means?

I graduated with a BSCE in Structural Engineering. The first moment is when you say "Oh poo poo! The second moment is when you break your spine.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Arcturas posted:

I always forget with I-beams. Why doesn't the center bit buckle directly under a large point load? Like, say, a bathtub?

The web is not supposed to really take loading. It's only purpose is to hold the two flanges together. The I-Beam is sized for a particular load so it doesn't have any deflection. If it deflects then it is undersized.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
I found an awesome tub that will fit perfectly in that bathroom:

http://www.signaturehardware.com/60...5AtiRoC4Kvw_wcB

Product Details:
Design: Modern
Product Finish: Black Granite
Overflow Hole: No
Shape: Oval
Length: 60"
Width: 36"
Height: 22"
Tub Interior Length: 41"
Tub Interior Width: 21"
Water Depth to Rim: 18"
Exterior Treatment: Rough
Interior Treatment: Smooth
Tap Deck: No
Drain Included: No
Drain Placement: Center
Faucet Included: No
Faucet Drillings: No Drillings
Water Capacity (Gallons): 67
Tub Weight Uncrated (lbs): 2000

Oooohhh, another option here that doesn't require any costly fixes to the floor joists. Hang that fucker from the ceiling:

http://www.theluxuryspot.com/awesome-spotting-a-bath-tub-that-hangs-from-the-ceiling/

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 25, 2017

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

I have to admit those are pretty pictures. While we're on the subject of bathtubs this is a pretty picture too:

:NSFW: Man washing his rear end in the tub.

Edit: this could be construed as nsfw.

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 26, 2017

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Broken glass? Survival of the fittest.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Did the shower have a Real Doll washing station?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Slugworth posted:

I still don't understand what a sales engineer is. The guy from Office Space who gets t-boned?

Those are the people that dropped out of engineering school after the first semester of calculus and transferred into business school. They still like to think they know how engineering works and they are good at repeating buzzwords like "synergy".

• Locked thread