Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

kid sinister posted:

I posted that bit because it was hilarious.

hi, mod here, wow get hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Burt Sexual posted:

Why isn't he banned? Lowtax even made money off the new av

i just woke up ok

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

i hope there's a lesson here about the relative wisdom of "hey, here's a really funny thread with a sorta goofy OP! better screw it up before it can get good."

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

i had a moss bathmat for a while and it was pretty legit and was nice on the feet (and not dirty) but it was hard to keep it evenly watered, standing on it after a shower for 30 seconds is actually not enough shockingly

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

sneakyfrog posted:

*sigh* i just wish it were properly redtexted dammit folks attention to detail.

hang on

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

i asked someone to do a thing, hopefully they will

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Evilreaver posted:

Hmm, ah, yes, making others do a thing, that's what the DIY forum is for

e: This makes you a good moderator

i have to get an inspector to sign off on my bans

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

i mean what if i ban someone for racism and it turns out it was double-ironic? ten years later the insurance company's gonna notice that and then it's my rear end

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

If nothing else this thread has delivered immensely for me because someone else just linked me to it and I actually got to say the words "oh I've seen that, I had to ban someone for doxing a bathroom."

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Mambold posted:

New thread title pls

close enough

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you look in the picture he didn't drill out the middle of the beam for his plumbing. He cut holes in the bottom of the webbing.

What kind of clown drives five minutes EACH WAY to home depot for a hole saw or spade bit when they have a perfectly good reciprocating saw sitting right there.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Rhyno posted:

I mean, I have this hammer here too

AND this 1/8" drill bit that came with my shelf kit! I'll just drill a bunch of tiny holes in a 1" circle then smash it out! Talk about can-do attitude!

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Rhyno posted:

Oh but the drill's cord won't reach the outlet so I'll have to use the bit as a chisel

Good thing I have this can of spray foam here to hit the drill bit with.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Rhyno posted:

Oh thank god, we can rebuild those i-beams with Great Stuff!

not if i just suspend the i-beams with ceiling hooks and wire rope in an artistic display around the tub! win-win!

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

a sunken tub is cool and all, OP, but how about a suspended one? didn't cut any beams in your ceiling.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

WrenP-Complete posted:

Like a hammock tub?

facebook showed me a kickstarter for one so it must be legit

but no i more meant a 12" box-truss structure with a tub on top of it suspended from hooks in the ceiling that are most likely drywall anchors

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Apr 10, 2017

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

bEatmstrJ posted:

I suppose the majority of bathrooms seldom have more than one light maybe?

Most main bathrooms also have more than zero bathtubs, but everyone's different, y'know?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

i don't care if it's the safest thing since safe came to safetown and the inspector will literally give you a blowjob the second they see it, but RUN THAT loving WIRE BETTER ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE BEFORE I END YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

within 72 hours please post either a picture of that wire run flat against the stud and then across the top with a sensible turn radius, or a brief explanation of why this is not possible

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Zahgaegun posted:

Not long enough. That's a shortest-path solution if I've ever seen one.

i just assumed that's what it was, but...

[x] explanation
[ ] excuse

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

i'm probably just super weird about it but i'd straight up cut it shorter, install a small junction box near the top, and run a wire down to the outlet along the stud. if i bring the shame of loving up measuring a wire on myself, i gotta own it.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Burt Sexual posted:

Makes hanging things more exciting?

call me crazy but i'd just as soon not have a foot-and-a-half by four-foot section of wall that i'd always have to wonder before I drilled into because there's an electrical cable at some unknown point behind it

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Boy needs a warrstrecher

i mean it's in the spirit of the thread. just reef on it, there must be a bit of slack somewhere, right?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Slugworth posted:

Psst, don't give this advice to a guy who previously may or may not have buried a junction box without access.

i mean i hope nobody at all takes the inane poo poo i spew as actual advice but i do see your point yes

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

bEatmstrJ posted:

Also, no inaccessible junction boxes have been buried.

i see your fancy language there city boy

...what HAS been buried?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Mambold posted:

need a poindexter STAT to figure via the hypotenuse if 1" slack is enough

I mean, he's got some slop in the box too, right?

yeah just leave an inch in the box and use those wire holes on the back of the outlet, it'll be legit. people who leave some wire in the box are just wasteful.

edit: PLUS it's gonna be GFCI (please say it is) so it'll be a deeper plug anyways, yeah just leave almost nothing in the box and then staple it to the stud every two inches

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 18, 2017

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Bad Munki posted:

GFCI probably means it'll have pigtails so those should be long enough on their own to actually reach out the back of the box, saving you several inches. And if you miss and hit the wire a few times with the hammer while stapling it, you should be able to get at least an inch or two more unless you hammer like a sissy

oh, right you are. get those pigtails outside the junction box, no room for wasted space in a proper DIY job.

semi-related: the house i just bought, much like the house i'm currently renting, has normal outlets in the bathroom (with "GFCI Protected" stickers) and a GFCI breaker on the other end of them. is this legit? i mean obviously it's legit because it's legal to sell GFCI breakers but am i looking at downsides?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

bEatmstrJ posted:

I have a couple of AFCI breakers in my house, then there is one GFCI outlet downstream of a bunch of normal ones. Not sure if the AFCI breakers are also hooked to the GFCI circuits (never bothered to check), but almost all of my bathroom outlets are normal outlets with stickers on them with a feed from a single GFCI outlet.

i respect you and i respect the hilarity of this thread but i hope you won't be offended if i decline to take bathroom wiring advice from you, even if it's on a snype :v:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

OP I'm glad you're getting actual engineers and people who don't want to crush their kitchen island with their taint when they fall through their floor, but I gotta admit a tiny part of me was hoping for a basement-pool-next-to-electrical-panel horror show.

Congrats on that, though.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

bEatmstrJ posted:

Well if you think about it, it's really the fault of this forum for not letting this happen. You guys should have colluded before distracting me from my grand design.

fuckin' lol if you don't think every single person who posted helpfully wasn't at least a LITTLE tempted.

especially the people who are gonna post after this and lie right to my face and say they weren't.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Slugworth posted:

I've always wished this place had a 'fix it even faster' thread, where we gave horrible, corner cutting advice.

i mean as long as the thread title clearly indicates it is bad, unsafe, and illegal advice...

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Bad Munki posted:

"Infinity bidet" is something I'm not ashamed to say I never thought of, but also desperately wish I had.

i cannot even begin to fathom that sensation but i want to

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

PCjr sidecar posted:

You could call it harm reduction.

The DIYhead Bathhouse

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

bEatmstrJ posted:

Typically there would be an access panel installed on the other side of the wall. Look at some of my before pictures and you'll see a couple of outlet boxes that were in place under the old tub frame for the jacuzzi plugs. But there's also an access panel right under the window. Hopefully they installed, or were planning on installing an access panel.

do people still install jacuzzi tubs in tyool 2017? i thought we were all aligning our chakras in hanging teardrop-shaped glass bathing vessels now or whatever.

every time i see one in a hotel i'm like poo poo yeah jacuzzi tub then end up just having a shower because i'm tired

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Burt Sexual posted:

Your bedspread has cum alllll over it btw.

why do you think i'm paying good money to stay there?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

i'm going to estimate your age at roughly 300

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Burt Sexual posted:

Can we get an admin itt?

sorry there's no way to check someone's birthday on the forum, they removed it after all of yospos set theirs to 4/20 and the birthday greeting system crashed one year ago today

i mean of course that didn't happen but it's shockingly plausible

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

bEatmstrJ posted:

:siren:A contractor has been selected! Engineering begins Monday:siren:

is there any way you or another household member can record the look on their face when they first walk in

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 21, 2017

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Prediction:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

bEatmstrJ posted:

The vast majority of the remaining work has been contracted out, including the vanity wall plumbing and repair. Only a few minor things will remain once they are done. I even talked myself into adding a steam shower which wasn't on the final plans (was up in the air about it).

okay so level with me. diy is great but sometimes it goes bad. sometimes it goes bad enough you have to get pros to fix it. in the end, was it worth the diy, even considering that? are you getting the bathroom you wanted, roughly, in the end?

• Locked thread