Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

CommissarMega posted:

I've always heard it said that the First Amendment only stops the government from censoring whatever you say, and even then it's kind of limited in that regard (i.e. if I work from a Congressman and call him a shithead on Facebook, I can still get canned). As far as I know, Google is a private organization and can lawfully ban or censor anything that doesn't agree with their corporate values or harm their bottom line. It's not censorship, per se, just capitalism.

That being said, I'm not an American, and I don't know much about you Yanks' Constitution, so I might be wrong on all counts there.

:eng101: There's quite a bit of talking past each other on this point. People who are advocates of free speech find some recent behavior, such as Twitter throttling some political content or Facebook blocking news from certain websites, to be contrary to the ideals of a free and open exchange of ideas. The response is typically "Free Speech only means the First Amendment and that doesn't apply to private companies!" While this is correct, it's also a strawman since the principles of free speech extend beyond its specific mention in the American constitution. People are not arguing that Google can't try to financially strangle political viewpoints it doesn't like, but that it shouldn't in order to preserve an open exchange of ideas.

The hardest part of free speech is advocating for the rights of the abhorrent. (Actual) racists and anti-semites are the canary in the coal mine - as long as they're able to speak, then we know the unpopular are also able.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Wait no it doesn't free speech literally only exists in the government sense.

Free speech as you are talking has never existed, will never exist, and should never exist.

The 90% of the time people decrying freedom of speech being censored are only against it when it's against them or it means someone isn't actively supporting them.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 27, 2017

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Added Space posted:

:eng101: There's quite a bit of talking past each other on this point. People who are advocates of free speech find some recent behavior, such as Twitter throttling some political content or Facebook blocking news from certain websites, to be contrary to the ideals of a free and open exchange of ideas. The response is typically "Free Speech only means the First Amendment and that doesn't apply to private companies!" While this is correct, it's also a strawman since the principles of free speech extend beyond its specific mention in the American constitution. People are not arguing that Google can't try to financially strangle political viewpoints it doesn't like, but that it shouldn't in order to preserve an open exchange of ideas.

The hardest part of free speech is advocating for the rights of the abhorrent. (Actual) racists and anti-semites are the canary in the coal mine - as long as they're able to speak, then we know the unpopular are also able.

Which is in turn a strawman since, once again, that isn't what free speech protects. People on the internet seem to believe that there should be no consequences for what they say, which isn't helpful or part of a free exchange of ideas. The key to free speech is limitation on prior restraint, which is to say that you shouldn't be prevented from speaking based on what you might say. But in many of the cases of someone losing a platform on the internet or in real life they've had the opportunity to speak many times; what they say and how they say it is very well established. Twitter isn't restricting a free exchange of ideas for getting rid of Milo Yianopolos any more than the government would be restricting the free exchange of ideas by telling you you can't call your ex at three in the morning to drunkenly threaten them. You have to stand behind your words, which can be tough when your words exist to incite an angry mob.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Take this poo poo to D&D.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Woops this was meant for the internet critic thread

Leal fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 27, 2017

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

RottenK posted:

Take this poo poo to D&D.

Have to second cause the political derail was exactly what killed the last thread and I'd rather not have this thread get gassed at only two pages for the same reason.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Asehujiko posted:

It got buried in the nazi debate last time so I'll recommend it again, age of empires 2 pro TheViper is doing a blind playthrough of the campaigns on his youtube channel. He's incredibly skilled at the game but only rarely plays singleplayer campaigns so his "meta" knowledge is somewhat lacking, leading to some funny situations.

Celts(tutorial)
Franks and a small contributor made companion piece to watch after the 5th mission
Saracens
Mongols
Teutons(final episode expected today/tomorrow)

These are fantastic so far, the dude has mad skills and, somehow, simultaneously, is constantly missing things. I've only gotten through two campaigns so far and he's already lost one of the easiest missions and beaten what's often considered the hardest (Paris, which is more of a QTE than a mission) on his first try.

edit: aand on the last mission of France he goes through all of his own hero units like butter by not taking care of them.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 27, 2017

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Laurentheflute is a... charming streamer. She's not great at games, taking a hell of a lot longer time than most, or indeed all, people would, and is a vidcam person as well. What sets her out, though, is her utter earnestness and sincerity - which sounds really dumb to like, but really, really works.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'll admit to following Markiplier's channel. I mostly got into it for the Subnautica, Happy Wheels, and FNAF videos, but it's grown on me. He's relatively benign as a person too. It's not great, but like, sometimes you just want a lovely greasy-rear end burger, so you get a burger for lunch.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
He certainly can be one of the less offensive "no inside voice" youtube stars. Plus he's a really nice person who is grateful for his fanbase and respects them and also isn't a fuckin neo-nazi.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

CJacobs posted:

He certainly can be one of the less offensive "no inside voice" youtube stars. Plus he's a really nice person who is grateful for his fanbase and respects them and also isn't a fuckin neo-nazi.

We were literally reminded not half a page ago to stop bringing up politics FFS. I like this thread, I always enjoy more LPer recommendations.

Speaking of, I quite enjoy HellfireComms. https://www.youtube.com/user/HellfireComms

They've been active for about nine years and are currently mid-way through an LP of Simpsons Hit and Run.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

GoneRampant posted:

We were literally reminded not half a page ago to stop bringing up politics FFS. I like this thread, I always enjoy more LPer recommendations.

Saying whether or not someone is a Nazi isn't politics.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
take a shot

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

CJacobs posted:

He's a bit too screamy, I agree. I've learned to tolerate it. He seems like a nice person too, though a little unsure of what he's doing at times.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I don't mind the political chat so much in the context of discussing Youtube LP's and the like if it's relevant (like how the PewDiePie / Jontron stuff has affected their subscribers/views/other gigs/whatever). Just be civil and calm about it and don't go straying off the topic of this thread.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

FredMSloniker posted:

and they managed to survive the cardinal sin of linking to an in-progress YouTube LP

Hang on, why is this a sin? This is the first time I've heard that.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
If there's one thing I hate about non-SA Youtube LPs these days that doesn't involve Nazis is the lame "Stream-dumps" from Twitch that are all the rage these days. Those videos that have the chatbox/donation cup taking up half of the screen and obnoxious "_______ has subscribed" textboxes running across at random intervals.

DGM_2 posted:

Hang on, why is this a sin? This is the first time I've heard that.

"No Youtube dumps" is (was?) a rule that meant you can't make a thread and post a completed Let's Play. It dissuades in thread discussions and ignores what could need vital technical help, like unsynced audio, poor framerate, etc. Plus it was considered that you didn't care about the SA-community and you just wanted more subscribers.

EDIT: Found it

from the Rules thread posted:

No YouTube dumps, no reposts!

The point of an LP thread is, if not participation, at least discussion. It's not against the rules to have a backlog or even to record an entire playthrough in advance - just don't post it all at once.

Also, don't re-post an LP you've already started elsewhere. Create your LP for the thread, not the other way around.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 27, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Markiplier has also tried branching out into stuff other than LPs. He did a CYOA video series that goes in some....interesting directions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyU_1JD2wuA

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

If you want someone who plays a bunch of horror games but doesn't constantly mug for the camera and scream, the artist formerly known as HarshlyCritical John Wolfe is a cool dude.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
From usual to unusual -

HCBailly

"I play classic JRPGs, like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, & others in a walkthrough commentary format. Main LPs are usually uploaded daily and publish at 7am CST/CDT. When I have a side LP, I usually upload the episodes every other day and publish them at 7pm CST/CDT."

Pretty much it. He is upbeat, well researched, and releases on a regular schedule. No brilliant points, but no glaring weaknesses. A real 7/10.

Deceased Crab

He used to post on SA, but I assume there was some drama and now he's mostly on youtube. He focuses more on obscure and independent titles. He's best known for his series on La Mulana.

Ricky Royal

His main series is "Box of Delights", where he details and does demo playthroughs of board games. He's got a very soft spoken English voice and is very soothing to listen to.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Samovar posted:

Laurentheflute is a... charming streamer. She's not great at games, taking a hell of a lot longer time than most, or indeed all, people would, and is a vidcam person as well. What sets her out, though, is her utter earnestness and sincerity - which sounds really dumb to like, but really, really works.
Her Undertale videos are really great for that very reason.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

chitoryu12 posted:

Markiplier has also tried branching out into stuff other than LPs. He did a CYOA video series that goes in some....interesting directions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyU_1JD2wuA

Yeah, he seems to be branching out into film and acting in general, which is an interesting (though difficult) direction. I still prefer his games work, though.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Forgall posted:

Her Undertale videos are really great for that very reason.

She stopped once to pull out a flute and play along with the soundtrack, which is about the most Undertale thing I can think of.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

YggiDee posted:

She stopped once to pull out a flute and play along with the soundtrack, which is about the most Undertale thing I can think of.

That's adorable. I should check out her Undertale stuff, Dark Souls is okay but she literally inches towards progress which gets a bit exhausting to watch.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Game Grumps are doing a small series just now on recent PS4 game Everything and seem to be having their minds blown for the entire duration. It's really interesting to listen to a couple of normally goofy and vulgar dudes discussing existentialism in their own shaky sort of way, while still making jokes about public urination and the like.

Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014

Added Space posted:

Deceased Crab

He used to post on SA, but I assume there was some drama and now he's mostly on youtube. He focuses more on obscure and independent titles. He's best known for his series on La Mulana.

It's funny you'd bring up DC since the first episode of La Mulana was posted 10 years ago today. Time really does fly.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Dias posted:

That's adorable. I should check out her Undertale stuff, Dark Souls is okay but she literally inches towards progress which gets a bit exhausting to watch.

You should. Her playstyle means that some games can be... well, very, very lengthy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This doesn't have much to do with LPs but this seems to've been the Post Youtube poo poo Here thread for a long time now so:

Youtube continues to poke the beehive by randomly demonetizing dozens of videos from many high-ranking/performing youtubers

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Yep, that's part of the fall out over the Jontron debacle. Google ramped up their "financially strangle anyone whose politics might upset others" plan, and it highlighted one of the problems. Once you cast the tuna net, you're going to start pulling in dolphins. They also instituted a hilarious parental block system which might as well be a blanket ban on anything that isn't a commercial. Let's Plays are probably still fine until their creator gets a Nazi swastika pinned to them; they're pretty much ads already.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Who knew saying poo poo like "Rich blacks will commit more crimes then poor whites" would have some sort of fallout.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
And nothing of value was lost.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Yeah let's be honest, unless you actually work for the website, only an idiot would rely on YouTube for their livelihood. This is just natural selection.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ha, I only just noticed the title, nice.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

David D. Davidson posted:

Yeah let's be honest, unless you actually work for the website, only an idiot would rely on YouTube for their livelihood. This is just natural selection.

That's a pretty poo poo way to think on some people randomly having their work invalidated and some deal of income up and yanked out of their hands.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

It's almost like this youtube thing was a huge, unsustainable bubble. Weird, never could have guessed that.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
At this stage you're better off relying on Patreon or direct donations anyway. Relying on ad revenue is wonky as gently caress considering how god drat chaotic Youtube can be.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
The flute lady's videos are fun, thanks for talking about her.

I like to see people react to interesting events in games with good, or at least strange enough to be interesting, stories. Not screamy facecam OH MY GOD GUYS stuff, more along the lines of discussing their opinions and interpretations of what's happening and actually paying attention to the game. Any recommendations?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I started watching a playthough of Spyro the Dragon done by a guy named AntDude. It's pretty basic but also fairly inoffensive, it's on his Let's Play channel if anyone is interested.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I like to watch ShyGuyExpress (MetroidMST) for Super Metroid romhacks, though he's started to fall into the "stream-dumping" that I don't like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Yardbomb posted:

That's a pretty poo poo way to think on some people randomly having their work invalidated and some deal of income up and yanked out of their hands.

I mostly agree, but considering how crazy YouTube's been recently, something was bound to happen. I think Mega64's right- if you want to make a living from YouTube, places like Patreon are the way to go, along with massive promotion efforts.