Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Yardbomb posted:

That's a pretty poo poo way to think on some people randomly having their work invalidated and some deal of income up and yanked out of their hands.

Not really. Anyone who has decided to make a serious go at that sort of media as their primary income stream learned very early that youtube is notorious for exactly that sort of thing, and started to diversify. The only ones left with all their eggs in that particular basket -- well -- the initial opinion stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Discendo Vox posted:

And nothing of value was lost.

Unless you count the number of things about LGBT issues that got quietly delisted in restricted mode.

They're addressing it but it's still kind of a problem.

Edited because I was dumb.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A coincidence, I am sure.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
What's the quote, never attribute to malice what can be blamed on stupidity?

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

GoneRampant posted:

incompetence

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

GoneRampant posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If any of you watched/liked Accursed Farms quasi-LP of Half Life 1, looks like he's started with Half Life 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbdo8VCAaV4

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Kibayasu posted:

If any of you watched/liked Accursed Farms quasi-LP of Half Life 1, looks like he's started with Half Life 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbdo8VCAaV4

Freeman's Mind is a blast from the past and I am so very happy to learn they are tackling HL2 :allears:

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

I thought he had decided he wasn't ever going to tackle HL2 and I am perfectly okay with that not being the case.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I hate to ruin the joke, but look at the publish date.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Trick Question posted:

I hate to ruin the joke, but look at the publish date.

Last year he did this same thing, except it was a joke, so I doubt he'd pull the same gag twice except completely straightforward the second time.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

I feel like the joke this time is that it wasn't a joke.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If it is a fool, I guess you have to fall for at least one a year :( , it still occurs to me that uploading Youtube videos as an April fool and then leaving them up to be seen afterwards is an even worse than usual form of an April fool, considering I only saw it today.

Therefor, by the rules of April Fool's, I am not the fool :colbert:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Kibayasu posted:

I am not owned, yells guy who constantly gets owned

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Even if it was just for April Fools, that fuckin' can toss was tight.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Another new youtube change: You can no longer turn on monetization on your channel until it has 10,000 lifetime views. Naturally, they can still put ads on your videos and collect revenue from them even if you can't. Weird change.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
It's a standard "steal from the poor" grab. Five bucks in ad revenue doesn't mean much to any one small timer, but multiply that by thousands or millions of channels and you've got another few points of profit.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
That article seems to say that ads won't run at all on channels until they hit the 10k mark, which seems reasonable enough.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tendales posted:

That article seems to say that ads won't run at all on channels until they hit the 10k mark, which seems reasonable enough.

Depends on how you interpret this line:

quote:

Starting today, we will no longer serve ads on YPP videos until the channel reaches 10k lifetime views.

Which could mean either way, really. It's slightly less scummy if that's the case, at least.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Tendales posted:

Presumably to lure back the avdertizers

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
this is to stop click fraud on ads. one of the ways people were scamming youtube ads is to open a burner account, upload random videos, monetize them, and shove bot traffic at them that would immediately click any and all ads. youtube has done their best to keep up with it, but the automated nature of their payment platform means that it is still possible and profitable to get one round of payouts before the fraudulent channel was found and burned. it's been a problem for quite some time and is one of the leading drags on how much money legitimate content creators make on their ads; advertisers bid on the cost of ads much like an auction, and bad actors in the auction depress prices for everyone.

10k lifetime views is not very many. my channel is by no means terribly popular and it still has multiple millions of lifetime views. this is a good change for basically everyone. the main legitimate users it will hurt are people who are doing offbeat things who are struggling to find their market. ostensibly they could use ad revenue to then pay for their own ads to help them find their market. it is a pretty small subsection, though.

Added Space posted:

It's a standard "steal from the poor" grab. Five bucks in ad revenue doesn't mean much to any one small timer, but multiply that by thousands or millions of channels and you've got another few points of profit.

btw: this is not relevant because they already have a minimum payout threshold established. i can't remember what it is precisely but i think it is like $20. that threshold is common industry practice on all software payment platforms to stop someone from paying more in transfer fees than they do in actual payouts. to deposit your earnings they have to pay someone to move the money, after all.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 6, 2017

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Last I checked youtube's payment threshold was $100. So youtube wouldn't pay you until you accumulated at minimum $100 from their ads. Which is in itself near impossible to do if you have a small channel unless your videos rake in somewhere over 10k viewers per video.

Doseku fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 7, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For the record, it took me a year almost to the day as a small channel to make $100 in ad revenue (at which point I just turned monetization off because gently caress that), took... about 175,000 views? Either way, it was an amount most small channels do not reach. It's already very stacked against channels who are just starting out which is a bummer whether it helps defeat the fraud or not.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Consider that these fraudsters are hitting 100 and more with fewer than 10k views to give you an idea of how bad the fraud is btw

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I've been enjoying Angory Tom's LP of cities Skylines recently. He's got an extremely chill voice and plays good background music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNmU7e3DNqE

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
So somehow despite all of his constant e-begging on Twitch and constant vlogs that he can't pay his bills, DSP somehow managed to buy an engagement ring for Leanna:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

TaurusOxford posted:

So somehow despite all of his constant e-begging on Twitch and constant vlogs that he can't pay his bills, DSP somehow managed to buy an engagement ring for Leanna:

N...N...NANI

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the environment that can return a positive result for the worst among us is a good one.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
im happy for the bad lets play man and hope that his marriage will work out

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

RottenK posted:

im happy for the bad lets play man and hope that his marriage will work out

They're both horrible human beings. They're made for each other.

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

TaurusOxford posted:

Predicting that this is the result of Phil not actually understanding how money works and he's just dug the hole deeper

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Come on guys, don't be mean- if there's one thing I hope DSP does right, it's married life :3:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
But will he finish his marriage on stream?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Turns out he has no intentions of actually getting married any time soon due to his massive debt - they just got engaged for the sake of being engaged.

Also, he replied to all of his "haters" who were questioning how he managed to afford an engagement ring: https://www.etsy.com/listing/384613...a002f:384613038

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

It's sad that he always looks at everyone as haters because most of the people who are critical of him and question his decisions do so because they honestly want good things for him and want to make sure he's not loving himself over. We're pretty invested in someone who seems to give us nothing but poo poo in return.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

Turns out he has no intentions of actually getting married any time soon due to his massive debt - they just got engaged for the sake of being engaged.

But... Wait, what's the point of being engaged if you're just doing it to be engaged? You mean to tell me they have no plans of getting married but they still got engaged?!

I don't know why this confuses me. It's DSP, I shouldn't try and make sense of it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

bman in 2288 posted:

But... Wait, what's the point of being engaged if you're just doing it to be engaged? You mean to tell me they have no plans of getting married but they still got engaged?!

I don't know why this confuses me. It's DSP, I shouldn't try and make sense of it.

He claimed in his latest vlog that they MIGHT get married in a year or two under the conditions that his Twitch popularity increases and it becomes a reliable primary source of income.

Keep in mind, he only has about 270 subs and struggles to get above 400 viewers even on a day 1 AAA release. Some days he struggles to maintain even 300.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

bman in 2288 posted:

the man took beyonce's advice

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

"You have to talk to her?! WHAT! How the hell was I supposed to know that?! This is BULLSHIT!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

TaurusOxford posted:

He claimed in his latest vlog that they MIGHT get married in a year or two under the conditions that his Twitch popularity increases and it becomes a reliable primary source of income.

Keep in mind, he only has about 270 subs and struggles to get above 400 viewers even on a day 1 AAA release. Some days he struggles to maintain even 300.

So if I watch the loud inept man fumble around incompetently at video games more, I can encourage him to get married to a woman who clearly has no sense.

I hope they stream the wedding like that other couple did (at least I hope it was only the one couple that live-streamed their wedding).