Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Dawgstar posted:

Is there anybody entertaining doing Fire Emblem: Three Houses? Everybody I've tried is either skipping ahead and not taking their time or treating it like a bad open mic night or, worse, both.

Game dropped yesterday, so I'd say give it some time before anyone good pops up with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ChaosArgate posted:

Game dropped yesterday, so I'd say give it some time before anyone good pops up with it.

Yeah, that's probably smart. I just watched two different LPers make the same joke when the MC looks at a book ("I can't read! Wocka-wocka!") and just gave up all for lost.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
to be fari its a good joke

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Can anyone point me to a full playthrough of Ancestors: Legacy where the player isn't poo poo and actually uses tactics? Commentary or no, and it doesn't even need to be in English, I just want to see the game being played by someone that doesn't constantly fire archers into their own men or just select all their men and send the blob across the map.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

ShootaBoy posted:

fire archers into their own men

Agreed, firing the arrows would be much better.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Suspicious Dish posted:

to be fari its a good joke

it's more in the PewDiePie-esque delivery.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Nalesh posted:

Agreed, firing the arrows would be much better.

Whoops! But my complaint still stands. The game even gives you a big red 'Friendly Fire' notice when you're shooting your own men, but apparently that's just invisible if you're not me.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

So I couldn't find a place to post about Let's Play compilations in the forums, and was recommended this thread by the SALT Discord server, so here goes:

This is a best-of Let's Play compilation of Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) - or rather, it's five best-of compilations in one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a1jqRbZMm4

I wanted to make a "nothing but the hits" playthrough of my favourite Sonic 06 LPs: pokecapn's legendary 24-hour LP; slowbeef and Diabetus via retsupurae; ThornBrain, Mugiwara Yoshi et. al for TheStrawhatNO!'s 10th anniversary stream; the incomplete Game Grumps LP; and HellfireComms, an underappreciated post-commentary LP group from the late 2000s.

More parts are to come (one per story), and in Parts 2 and 3, one extra LP per part will be added, once when pokecapn's crew lose their audio during the Shadow campaign, and again when the Grumps give up on Silver's campaign, with everyone (sans Grumps) coming back for Last Story.

I was a bit nervous about self-promoting on this thread, especially since there seems to be very little of that going on here, but this first video took an incredibly long time to make and YouTube's algorithm has, unfortunately, not been kind to it. I'm hoping this can give it some extra exposure.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Today, Chip and Ironicus' MGS 5 LP has concluded. It took 69 updates (nice)
Not just that, their Metal Gear journey is now over.

It feels almost weird to post this in this thread considering most of these LPs happened on SA. But here we are, the end of an era.

The MGS2 LP is why I got into LPing myself. Now I'm here, still doing something that resembles LP and you have C&I to blame at least partially.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

IGgy IGsen posted:

Today, Chip and Ironicus' MGS 5 LP has concluded. It took 69 updates (nice)
Not just that, their Metal Gear journey is now over.

It feels almost weird to post this in this thread considering most of these LPs happened on SA. But here we are, the end of an era.

The MGS2 LP is why I got into LPing myself. Now I'm here, still doing something that resembles LP and you have C&I to blame at least partially.
I'm glad it ended with an hour-long deep dive into the world of MGS5 Never Be Game Over truthers. I can't imagine anything more appropriate.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Here's hoping they eventually do Death Standing

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

I'm glad it ended with an hour-long deep dive into the world of MGS5 Never Be Game Over truthers. I can't imagine anything more appropriate.

That was a wild podcast. I kind of was utterly unable to keep with the final theory they mentioned though.

I hope Chip takes a nice break before he goes onto doing whatever he does next.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ramos posted:

That was a wild podcast. I kind of was utterly unable to keep with the final theory they mentioned though.

I hope Chip takes a nice break before he goes onto doing whatever he does next.

I know he said he was gonna stop lping for the year on something. Might've been on one of Voidburger's Control streams.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 9, 2019

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

It was one hell of a loving ride, and part of what brought me to SA in the first place (stumbled onto the LP archive one day and found... I think it was Killer 7? Early enough for me to catch part of MGS2 on the forums, I know that much) and it went out in possibly the best way it ever could have gone out.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
The MGS ride was certainly a wild one. It's pretty bittersweet that it's over, but I look forward to seeing what they have planned for the future.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

I know he said he was gonna stop lping for the year on something. Might've been on one of Voidburger's Control streams.

He's also said he wants to finish Mario Odyssey which will take some time.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Same for getting me on SA. I had followed them for a long time but I think it was Uncharted or Mega Man Legends that finally convinced me to get an account.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Those mad bastards kickstarted my six-years-and-counting love (and some carefully qualified hate) affair with PlatinumGames at a time when I had already written MGR:Revengeance off as garbage and I will never forget that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Remember when they did a surprise live LP of an episode of The Wonderful 101?

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Here's hoping they eventually do Death Standing

I recall Chip saying he would maybe do it if he liked it. Recent tweets have indicated that he is enjoying at least parts of it, so it's in the realm of possibilities.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
'Not next' is what he said in the video. He doesn't seem keen to jump back into lping any openworld games for a bit.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chip also prefers to LP games once he’s discovered everything he can to make something super comprehensive, and it’s currently seeming like Death Stranding will take years to get to that point.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Have they done Metal Gear Survive?

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

No, sadly. I’m hoping it’ll show up later but I imagine Mario Odyssey is a far more comforting option

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jamesman posted:

Have they done Metal Gear Survive?

Considering they spoiled the bad ending in one of the videos I would not be surprised if they never touched it.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Does Chip have any kind of online presence outside of Twitter and Youtube anymore? He left SA ages ago for that other LP forum, but left that forum like a year ago as well. Not a big deal either way, but I'm always looking forward to whatever he does next.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Crumps Brother posted:

Does Chip have any kind of online presence outside of Twitter and Youtube anymore? He left SA ages ago for that other LP forum, but left that forum like a year ago as well. Not a big deal either way, but I'm always looking forward to whatever he does next.

I don't believe so. He's active daily on there, though, when at the end of his and Ironicus's time on SA they rarely or never posted outside their LP threads.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

chitoryu12 posted:

Chip also prefers to LP games once he’s discovered everything he can to make something super comprehensive, and it’s currently seeming like Death Stranding will take years to get to that point.

I'm content to watch Slowbeef stumble through it for the moment. 3.5 hours in, and the walls of unskippable Kojima story exposition just keep raining down on all parties involved.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

EricFate posted:

I'm content to watch Slowbeef stumble through it for the moment. 3.5 hours in, and the walls of unskippable Kojima story exposition just keep raining down on all parties involved.

YouTube recommended a video of all Death Stranding cutscenes to me and it was over 11 hours long.

Metal Gear Solid 4 was 8.5 hours of cutscenes.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Trojan Kaiju posted:

YouTube recommended a video of all Death Stranding cutscenes to me and it was over 11 hours long.

Did the MGS4 one also include Codec calls?

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

Did the MGS4 one also include Codec calls?

I am going to assume so because the next one down was about an hour shorter. I didn't watch because it's 8.5 hours and I've already spent that multiple times over replaying MGS4 in high school.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I'll also point out that MGS4 was not an open world game, while I'm pretty sure Death Stranding is.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

EricFate posted:

Yeah, it does ease up on that quite a bit for Chapter 3 but from 4 onwards get longer cutscenes though so far I've found the balance better than MGS 4 was.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Trojan Kaiju posted:

I am shocked it's only 8.5 hours, that final cutscene was a whole 2 hours by itself wasn't it?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah, it does ease up on that quite a bit for Chapter 3 but from 4 onwards get longer cutscenes though so far I've found the balance better than MGS 4 was.

I haven't played it but people are saying to just power through until you're at Chapter 3 because that's when the game hands you most of your important equipment and introduces the MULEs as enemies.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Kojima is the personification of time rain.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

I haven't played it but people are saying to just power through until you're at Chapter 3 because that's when the game hands you most of your important equipment and introduces the MULEs as enemies.

Yes that's really the best thing to do. You keep getting new tools in the chapters after but 3 is when the game does feel properly open.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Recently the game grumps did a couple episodes playing the Dendy, a Soviet-era knock off NES, with a bunch of bootleg cartridges online. One of them had a white label with something in Russian written on the label, but when they tried to use it, it just gave them an error screen also in Russian. They found out a while later apparently the error screen was asking for an internet adapter, and that led Arin down a bizarre rabbit hole trying to figure out why the hell a knockoff-NES game wanted to connect online. I'll put it below for those who don't want to watch, but I highly recommend watching the full journey, it's fascinating.

It turns out it was an original 2D platformer game prototype that must have gotten scrapped which would put a bunch of Dendy players together to see who could survive the longest, like a battle royale. Nobody could find any mention of the game besides a single commercial forever ago, but after dumping the rom, a friend of Arins thinks he can create a server and allow people to run the rom and connect to it, effectively reviving a game that was originally lost through time. I love poo poo like this :allears:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Danaru posted:

Recently the game grumps did a couple episodes playing the Dendy, a Soviet-era knock off NES, with a bunch of bootleg cartridges online. One of them had a white label with something in Russian written on the label, but when they tried to use it, it just gave them an error screen also in Russian. They found out a while later apparently the error screen was asking for an internet adapter, and that led Arin down a bizarre rabbit hole trying to figure out why the hell a knockoff-NES game wanted to connect online. I'll put it below for those who don't want to watch, but I highly recommend watching the full journey, it's fascinating.

It turns out it was an original 2D platformer game prototype that must have gotten scrapped which would put a bunch of Dendy players together to see who could survive the longest, like a battle royale. Nobody could find any mention of the game besides a single commercial forever ago, but after dumping the rom, a friend of Arins thinks he can create a server and allow people to run the rom and connect to it, effectively reviving a game that was originally lost through time. I love poo poo like this :allears:

The Dendy is an interesting piece of technology. They had direct Mario Bros bootlegs of the NES. But then they had Super Mario Bros 4, 5, 6... I think it went all the way up to 11.

If they didn't randomly crash, they mostly contained recycled levels from the real Super Mario Bros games. Sometimes there were actually unique levels made by the bootleggers. Whether those levels were actually beatable was a whole different matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

There also were fake Dendys.