Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Danaru posted:

Recently the game grumps did a couple episodes playing the Dendy, a Soviet-era knock off NES, with a bunch of bootleg cartridges online. One of them had a white label with something in Russian written on the label, but when they tried to use it, it just gave them an error screen also in Russian. They found out a while later apparently the error screen was asking for an internet adapter, and that led Arin down a bizarre rabbit hole trying to figure out why the hell a knockoff-NES game wanted to connect online. I'll put it below for those who don't want to watch, but I highly recommend watching the full journey, it's fascinating.

It turns out it was an original 2D platformer game prototype that must have gotten scrapped which would put a bunch of Dendy players together to see who could survive the longest, like a battle royale. Nobody could find any mention of the game besides a single commercial forever ago, but after dumping the rom, a friend of Arins thinks he can create a server and allow people to run the rom and connect to it, effectively reviving a game that was originally lost through time. I love poo poo like this :allears:

I love how the Internet sometimes creates weird serendipitous moments like this. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Danaru posted:

Recently the game grumps did a couple episodes playing the Dendy, a Soviet-era knock off NES, with a bunch of bootleg cartridges online. One of them had a white label with something in Russian written on the label, but when they tried to use it, it just gave them an error screen also in Russian. They found out a while later apparently the error screen was asking for an internet adapter, and that led Arin down a bizarre rabbit hole trying to figure out why the hell a knockoff-NES game wanted to connect online. I'll put it below for those who don't want to watch, but I highly recommend watching the full journey, it's fascinating.

It turns out it was an original 2D platformer game prototype that must have gotten scrapped which would put a bunch of Dendy players together to see who could survive the longest, like a battle royale. Nobody could find any mention of the game besides a single commercial forever ago, but after dumping the rom, a friend of Arins thinks he can create a server and allow people to run the rom and connect to it, effectively reviving a game that was originally lost through time. I love poo poo like this :allears:

https://twitter.com/thomglunt/status/1201977603063611392

this might be the quickest takeback of a hoax ever :v:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Goddamnit Internet, you have tricked me again! :mad:

Should've known something was up with a 1980s Soviet game console having an Ethernet adapter!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
In the video Arin brings up that they started calling it Soviet Jump Game once they decided to reprogram it to use their own servers since the real name is weirdly translated, so while it could just be a weird ARG for a new project by them, it's not out of character for Arin to hire an artist for a project like refurbishing an old cancelled game :v: I want to believe though, plus Arin would usually have spilled the beans by now

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
It's all fake. Even if the game existed, a 1990-era online game would connect via a modem, not random rs232-to-ethernet plugs you find on ebay.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Danaru posted:

In the video Arin brings up that they started calling it Soviet Jump Game once they decided to reprogram it to use their own servers since the real name is weirdly translated, so while it could just be a weird ARG for a new project by them, it's not out of character for Arin to hire an artist for a project like refurbishing an old cancelled game :v: I want to believe though, plus Arin would usually have spilled the beans by now

the art on the cartridge in the commercial is the same as the commissioned one. it's fake

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Suspicious Dish posted:

the art on the cartridge in the commercial is the same as the commissioned one. it's fake

God dammit, I missed that. I was excited about this too :smith:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
yeah blatantly lying is a weird marketing campaign but sure

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I don't think their fans are really going to care whether it's a lie.

If the game turns out good, it's a win because, hey, another good game to play!

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Dish posted:

yeah blatantly lying is a weird marketing campaign but sure

Pretty sure its the standard these days. Glad to see my continued distrust / dislike of game grumps continues to insulate me from bullshit like this.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
It was at least whimsical.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ZeusCannon posted:

Pretty sure its the standard these days. Glad to see my continued distrust / dislike of game grumps continues to insulate me from bullshit like this.
what is your "continued distrust/dislike" of them based on, if it's jontron or some poo poo, then, lol

arin probably should've ended the last video with a "surprise, it was all a ruse, ha ha! well in reality here's the game we've been working on" sure, but it's not some PR disaster or anything, and the game looks cute.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Lost piece of gaming history UNCOVERED

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Like, ultimately I'm more annoyed with myself for so easily falling for this even as I was telling myself it was too coincidental and also why would anybody even try to do networked gaming in 1987 with an action-platformer of all things. So I don't entirely blame Arin et. al for this "trick" per-se

At the same time there is a nonzero number of tweet responses of people who are very intro retro games or finding lost games/prototypes who felt a bit burned by this being presented as so legit. Yet it achieved the goal of getting people talking about it, and I am still interested in the end product.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Yeah it seems like a fun game, I just wish he had been more clear it was an ARG kind of thing before I excitedly told everyone I knew about it :saddowns: Now I look like a dumbass for falling for it so hard

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Suspicious Dish posted:

Lost piece of gaming history UNCOVERED
poo poo, they hosed up the messaging on their ridiculous ARG type campaign, guess they can never be trusted again

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Danaru posted:

Yeah it seems like a fun game, I just wish he had been more clear it was an ARG kind of thing before I excitedly told everyone I knew about it :saddowns: Now I look like a dumbass for falling for it so hard

I'm personally putting 'Got tricked by the Game Grumps lol' on your tombstone, dork

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Danaru posted:

I dunno I told my wife about it prehoax. I don't feel silly. Just never mention it again out of fear of individual followup.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

what is your "continued distrust/dislike" of them based on, if it's jontron or some poo poo, then, lol

arin probably should've ended the last video with a "surprise, it was all a ruse, ha ha! well in reality here's the game we've been working on" sure, but it's not some PR disaster or anything, and the game looks cute.

Its mostly based on distrusting and disliking them

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Dan is an incredibly good guy.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ZeusCannon posted:

Its mostly based on distrusting and disliking them
oh its just a weird thing not really based on anything they've done before then, you do you

Yardbomb posted:

Dan is an incredibly good guy.
And handsome, and a great singer, and a great straight man

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

oh its just a weird thing not really based on anything they've done before then, you do you

I want to tell you you are wrong but you really probably aren't. I think its just a oil / water situation. Something about them seems very off to me and so i react as i react.

:shrug:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Invictus posted:

JonTron is a piece of poo poo though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
honestly I had a harsh aversion to them for a long time too due to jontron, but when they kicked him out for being a fascist piece of poo poo, and it mostly became the Dan and Arin show, I warmed up to them a lot. If you're at least willing to give them another try, I'd heartily recommend their Phoenix Wright playthrough. The thing I love about it is Arin is terminally videogamesman while Dan is anything but, like, Dan knows VERY LITTLE comparatively about video games, and so gets blindsided extremely easily by things. So he knew NOTHING about phoenix wright beyond maybe it's about a lawyer. The voices they give to everyone, since they're both professional voice actors, are fantastic.

Their Doki Doki Literature Club playthrough is legitimately one of my favorite LPs of all time, though. Damned hilarious and also, uh, all the other things DDLC does by the end of it, and Dan had no idea what he was in for and Arin kept him completely blindered the entire time. If you've never experienced DDLC, absolutely dive right in totally blind, if you have already played DDLC and ONLY if you've finished DDLC, Dan has an extremely good and appropriate response to the Sayori scene

Maybe does something that may put you off(since it puts me off sometimes even now), they stuck to a rather rigid short episode timer due to how youtube monetization works, and so fairly often reference how the sausage is made or that "it's time for next time on game grumps" every 10-15 minutes. While it's obviously a job for them, making it so apparent it's a job for them(though they are by far not the worst at doing this) can seem really weird maybe?

Or maybe it's just a gut thing.

Turtlicious posted:

JonTron is a piece of poo poo though.
which is why they split up very abruptly six and a half years ago and replaced him literally the same day, jontron's burgeoning fascism before he went full blown nazi clashed with arin and they had a harsh and rapid falling out. like, arin could have kept working with him to maintain the brand but instead risked his entire company booting out his co-headliner because he was a superchud, and luckily he works really well with Dan so the grumps continued on.

really, the worst thing is that jontron hasn't had the poo poo beaten out of him for being a literal just-shy-of-flag-waving nazi, and that apparently he's crawling his way back up to the top and being forgiven by morons since he's being quieter about his horrific beliefs now.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 6, 2019

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdOgvdbl314

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Looking through the comments on their announcement trailer, there's a lot of people expressing criticism over how they chose to promote this game. Not really mad, just confused about why they chose to do things this way, and disappointed that it wasn't a real thing. Which I think is fair.

Edit: At the same time, Arin is promoting a novel on Twitter under the guise of it being his uncle who wrote the book. They seem to be really into the whole lying thing at the moment.

Also the book costs $21.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 8, 2019

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Game grumps are fine now jontron is gone

The dendy hoax game announcement thing is literally the least controversial thing ever lol

So is selling a comedy book under a pseudonym.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I tried getting into the Game Grumps once only to find that they abandon like 80% of their playthroughs. I couldn't get into them as I watch LPs primarily to see a game. It's okay, I'm not their target audience.

As for them promoting a game by pretending it's ancient? They are working the jabronie marks without a life that don't know it a work when you work a work and work yourself into a shoot,marks. Just keeping the kayfabe, brother.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Whether or not they continue a playthrough is completely dependant on the views unless the game is so absolutely awful they can't stand it which has been pretty rare.

So big popular games like the Souls games (even if they are imo horrible LP material) get complete playthroughs but more niche titles tend to be dropped.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I rarely watch any of the Grumps' LPs, but their monthly highlight videos are premium background noise for certain games.

I've yet to see any video where JonTron was explicitly racist, but I was sad to see him go like that.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I saw the interview he did with that one streaming guy where he whines about how people will call you racist just because you express concern about the white genepool being diluted *coughpollutedcough* by people of color, or maybe it was immigrants specifically. I could probably find more if I cared to look, but that was more than enough of him for one lifetime.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
What I know about grumps is that this is something that often happens:

Game: To do this very vital thing that is of import to the game, you-

Grumps: BLAH BLAH WHO CARES *burps*

*5 minutes later*

Grumps: WHY CAN'T I DO THIS THING

Game: Press X to do thing

Grumps: HOW DO I DO THING

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Seeing other big youtube LPers you know what? I'll say it: DSP? Overblown.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

THE BAR posted:

I rarely watch any of the Grumps' LPs, but their monthly highlight videos are premium background noise for certain games.

I've yet to see any video where JonTron was explicitly racist, but I was sad to see him go like that.
Like any gamegrumps video or any video people, because he does have vids talking about how he believes white genocide is real. Which is explicitly racist.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
JonTron is basically alt right. Joins in on Sargon of Akkad streams and says dumb poo poo like this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=5h8m30s&v=i1p0apfSCIU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Leal posted:

Seeing other big youtube LPers you know what? I'll say it: DSP? Overblown.

It's more that dsp and arin are in a category of their own imo, cause holy poo poo, it's why I can't watch either. It's like the perfect case of showcasing the difference between ignorance and stupidity, they were told how to do poo poo, they actively ignore it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Mr Phillby posted:

The dendy hoax game announcement thing is literally the least controversial thing ever lol

So is selling a comedy book under a pseudonym.

Most people aren't really up in arms over it, but just confused over why they're choosing this method to promote stuff to their audience. A lot of people got really excited over the idea of this lost piece of video game history, only to find out it was all fake yet presented as legitimate.

The thing with this book is a being made a bit more clear that it's not serious (Arin recorded a "call" with his "uncle" which is just Arin doing a voice), but leading up to that you had him saying he hates his uncle and his mom is forcing him to do this because family and it would just be weird enough on its own, but it comes on the heels of this other thing and people are just like "Uhh... what?" Not really outrage, but just expressing that this stuff could be handled a lot better than it currently is.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Jamesman posted:

Most people are ...just confused over why they're choosing this method to promote stuff to their audience. A lot of people got really excited over the idea

They must be struggling in life if they have a hard time making this connection.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think it's him trying to do a new type of bit but not being very good at it. They've generally done the goofy awkward method of awkwarsdvertising(the autocorrect changed it to this and I'm keeping it here) like stilted talk when shilling something so maybe he's trying to do a different thing and not being good at it. Arin's never been a bad dude before afaik regardless of what you think of game grump video styling, so I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Eh, it's just guerrila marketing circa late-00s and early-10's, the era of creepypastas and hoax stories. I think it doesn't land as well nowadays because fake news and fact-checking became legitimate political tools since then, and a lot of people stick with content creators because they're someone they "trust" - y'know, New Sincerity and all that jazz.