Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

klafbang posted:

They must be struggling in life if they have a hard time making this connection.

The problem with that is people weren't getting excited over a new game being put up under the Game Grumps label. They were getting excited over a piece of game history. So when it turned out to be a bit of a bait-and-switch, those people weren't exactly going "Oh, neat. I will surely buy this game now!"

Edit: Remember that Simpsons episode where a company planted a fake angel skeleton to get people to check out the new mall they were building? It's kinda like that, except people are reacting the way Lisa Simpson did instead of everyone else going "yeahh..... but that game does look fun..."

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
You’re definitely not wrong, but it is easy to imagine that somebody might want to stand out from all the other Kickstarter indie games. There has to be more Kickstarter Indie games than Kickstarter small wallets by now. Somebody, especially somebody with enough YouTube brain worms (it is all about reach, please like and subscribe, hit the bell icon and leave your comment below), might decide that getting some hype via a viral video would work for this. And they got their hype. Now, they just have to make a nice Fine Bros style apology video, and it will actually work.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Leal posted:

What I know about grumps is that this is something that often happens:

Game: To do this very vital thing that is of import to the game, you-

Grumps: BLAH BLAH WHO CARES *burps*

*5 minutes later*

Grumps: WHY CAN'T I DO THIS THING

Game: Press X to do thing

Grumps: HOW DO I DO THING

I can tell you that it not something exclusive to the grumps. Any channel I see that tends to focus on ether the entertainment side of commentary or tend to podcast rather then paying any attention at all to the game has theat happen.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

mateo360 posted:

I can tell you that it not something exclusive to the grumps. Any channel I see that tends to focus on ether the entertainment side of commentary or tend to podcast rather then paying any attention at all to the game has theat happen.

I think we've all done it even when not broadcasting for other people. I know I have.

Though that doesn't stop be from screaming "come on it's right there press X" at Youtube videos.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

klafbang posted:

You’re definitely not wrong, but it is easy to imagine that somebody might want to stand out from all the other Kickstarter indie games. There has to be more Kickstarter Indie games than Kickstarter small wallets by now. Somebody, especially somebody with enough YouTube brain worms (it is all about reach, please like and subscribe, hit the bell icon and leave your comment below), might decide that getting some hype via a viral video would work for this. And they got their hype. Now, they just have to make a nice Fine Bros style apology video, and it will actually work.

some might say that having the gamer grumbles attached to it does that perfectly fine

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the larger mechanical issue with that entire stunt is that the series was labeled and represented as a documentary when it was nothing of the sort, it was sponsored content/an ad. youtube really doesn't like it when you do this sort of poo poo because it's flatly illegal in a lot of jurisdictions and even when it's not it pisses off advertisers.

while there's no groundswell of outrage from individuals over this, game grumps did lose a lot of subscribers for their trouble here so there's that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What constitutes "a lot" in this case

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Dec 11, 2019

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Captain Invictus posted:

What constitutes "a lot" in this case

Federally, in the US.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The UK's got some strict advertising laws as well.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I meant subscribers, I highly doubt there will be legal repercussions for their dumb gimmicky advertising thing

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

I meant subscribers, I highly doubt there will be legal repercussions for their dumb gimmicky advertising thing

The FCC(I think it was them at least?) has a major hardon for going after people that don't say it's sponsored, to the point where they've gone after people in the UK just because youtube is an american site.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Sort of Treelaw, but for videos? I guess we will see

If anything I think they just say gently caress it and take the videos down

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

i dunno specifically, i've just seen a bunch of infographics that show a sharp decline.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Coolguye posted:

i dunno specifically, i've just seen a bunch of infographics that show a sharp decline.

Don't know how accurate SocialBlade is but it does seem to show they lost 20k subscribers the day that video came out. That's still less than a percentage point for a channel with over 5 million subscribers though so it's not like that big an exodus

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

a lot of the subscribers of larger channels like that are dead numbers of swarms of people subscribing just because it's the popular thing to do - or, just as much, they're simply bot accounts that the content creator has either bought themselves or whatever partner they've worked with did so for them. i remember back during pdp's last big racist outburst he lost like 100k and that was generally considered an extremely stern rebuke even though it was nothing compared to his subscriber count, because when you're as big as pdp people don't actually interact with you a lot of the time, they just subscribe because you've got a big number.

i have no idea how much or how little this applies to GG and i'd generally agree that it's not a serious loss for them, but the dynamics of subscriber counts start getting really weird after about 1M on youtube.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pouring one out for Turtlicious. Could've easily avoided that landmine but it was just such an attractive hill to die on.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

that classic landmine of talking about your plans to commit acts of domestic terrorism

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Wait what?!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
LF, LP, very similar subforum acronyms.

e: mental illness, medication/healthcare issues, and a bad time in the c-spam climate thread? get well soon permabanned poster Turtlicious.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Dec 19, 2019

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Wait what?!

From a casual skim through, Turtlicious implied he was going to commit a eco-terrorism.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/chipcheezum/status/1208115399935569920?s=21

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwTdInpISZc

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Those joes sipping java just couldn't stay away!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

You know, I just smiled. Had a long day at work (just finished up at 8pm) and been not enjoying quarantine and I saw that and just smiled.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
No Name Internet Anthony better be back or I riot.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

There's a new Chip & Ironicus Out of Context twitter that has been a fun reminder of the good laughs they've brought.

https://twitter.com/ChipandIronOOC/status/1249729177353420806?s=19

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:aaaaa::hf::unsmith:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Leal posted:

No Name Internet Anthony better be back or I riot.

I have no need to riot.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man I can’t get around to watching it because I know it’s gonna end again and that’ll be it until the next world paralyzing plague and how often do those happen

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Man I can’t get around to watching it because I know it’s gonna end again and that’ll be it until the next world paralyzing plague and how often do those happen

Looking at the spanish flu, probably a few months after people return to their normal lives because they did so way too early.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Well, if that's what it takes to get quarterly MDC content updates

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
As Judge would say, covid-19 was an inside job

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Saw the first 9 MDC videos, they were fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
https://twitter.com/PoorlyAgedStuff/status/1256233692462297088