Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
If there's one thing I hate about non-SA Youtube LPs these days that doesn't involve Nazis is the lame "Stream-dumps" from Twitch that are all the rage these days. Those videos that have the chatbox/donation cup taking up half of the screen and obnoxious "_______ has subscribed" textboxes running across at random intervals.

DGM_2 posted:

Hang on, why is this a sin? This is the first time I've heard that.

"No Youtube dumps" is (was?) a rule that meant you can't make a thread and post a completed Let's Play. It dissuades in thread discussions and ignores what could need vital technical help, like unsynced audio, poor framerate, etc. Plus it was considered that you didn't care about the SA-community and you just wanted more subscribers.

EDIT: Found it

from the Rules thread posted:

No YouTube dumps, no reposts!

The point of an LP thread is, if not participation, at least discussion. It's not against the rules to have a backlog or even to record an entire playthrough in advance - just don't post it all at once.

Also, don't re-post an LP you've already started elsewhere. Create your LP for the thread, not the other way around.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
I like to watch ShyGuyExpress (MetroidMST) for Super Metroid romhacks, though he's started to fall into the "stream-dumping" that I don't like.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
As someone who had to go to the emergency room due to an anxiety attack, let me tell you that it loving sucks. But I am deeply grateful for how the staff handled me and made sure I wasn't in any distress and ultimately helped me get me on track to a clearer, healthier mind.

I hope she can get the help she needs to get back on track, but I feel that she needs to :sever: from Phil is she wants to maintain mental stability.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

RareAcumen posted:

I'm annoyed that I can't recall where I first saw that face from.

Perhaps from the old Photoshop Phriday?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
She doesn't deserve help if she doesn't want it. They need to ban her from the internet like they do to hackers.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Earnestly posted:

Hey, I got a question about the current stream culture. Why does every streamer have those stupid notifications pop up on their steam whenever subscribes or donates. It's intrusive, loud, and annoying as tits. Slowbeef does it, as well tietuesday and voiceofdog. It's bad enough that I've stopped watching altogether.

It sucks, and I wish there was a less obnoxious way of them getting money, because I won't watch them other wise. :shrug:

I miss when slowbeef and diabetus did stuff together. Slowbeef streaming alone is just feels off to me.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Mega64 posted:

"If you don't like it, don't watch it" is a dumb way to shut down criticism. It's definitely true to a point, i.e. don't needlessly poo poo continuously on something people may enjoy, but at the same time things should be allowed to be critiqued so people can improve, both the people being critiqued and the people who may want to incorporate the advice in their own projects.

It's also why television has devolved into reality tv programing; it's cheap to produce and if you don't like it there's bound to be something on the 2000 channels you pay for. :v:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
A few LP's have convinced me to play the game myself when I wouldn't have even though of it in the first place. Xenoblade Chronicles comes to mind; I stopped watching the first video to go pre-order the game (and on the last day too!) because I was so intrigued by the quick moment I watched.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Can someone better versed in the Youtube monetizing algorithm explain why it's gotten so lovely in the last few months?

Oops, I swore, there goes my ad revenue. :smithicide:

EDIT: For example, 98Demake isn't a let's player but his videos are constantly flagged by the Youtube monetization algorithm as inappropriate and he loses out on his ad money. It sucks because he puts a lot of effort into his videos but I fear he'll end up quitting altogether if this continues.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 27, 2017

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Watching people play games is fun, especially games that I'm no good at (like Dark Souls).

Watching lovely twitch streams that constantly interrupt is not.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

TaurusOxford posted:

Yeah, but those charity fundraising streams go to ACTUAL good causes like cancer research or feeding hungry children, not "I got caught evading taxes and need money so I don't have to sell my SECOND house."

A friend of mine ran an emergency charity stream once because her (now ex) friend/roommate left without notice and took the entire month's rent and she needed the money or she'd be out of an apartment.

Now that isn't anything close to what DSP did, but it shows why that grey area exists. I'd like DSP to get banned; but I don't want them to start banning people just struggling to survive.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Twitch Streamers will pretend to be your friend.

Oh yeah, should mention I knew my friend from college; I don't watch Twitch.

Can't watch. Video always stops for some reason.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
If that's what's on Twitch then I'm fine with it not working on my computer.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Jamesman posted:

Also a platform that wasn't so toxic where every chat has at least half a dozen people spamming racist poo poo.

Good loving luck with that.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Geocities Homepage King posted:

The channels I frequent on Twitch don't have people spamming racist poo poo. :shrug:

But there are still twitch channels that do. He was asking for a platform that didn't allow that. Sure, you can find non-racist poo poo on websites but thanks to our laws, the racist poo poo can also appear right next to it.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

How I miss the days of screenshotting tweets. :smith:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
My cat watches the Achievement Hunter Minecraft videos. He's a weirdo.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

KirbyKhan posted:

SoloRenektonOnly is a fantastic florida man rear end dude.

A what now?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Yeah, Epic Mario Fart was literally a short video of a goomba walking up behind some bushes and seeing Mario fart. :shrug:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Leal posted:

I believe Total Biscuit was known in the LP subforum

https://twitter.com/GennaBain/statu...ber%3D98%23pti6

Holy poo poo. I only found the Something Awful forums because of his Shining Force 3 Let's Play. He may have become an rear end towards the forums in the end but man, that sucks. :smith:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

nine-gear crow posted:

this thread has just been on my radar as of late because it's generated more reports in the last two weeks than LP usually gets in two months.

So is that like 5 reports overall? :v:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Pins posted:

heavily addicted to hard drugs

I have a friend who's similar. He loved The Velvet Underground but now when he hears them he's reminded of all the coke he used to snort off the album cover so he can't listen to them at all. Good on ya for staying sober.

*in an extremely hipster voice* I never liked frolf anyways. :smug:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
EDIT: Removed off-topic stuff I'd rather not dredge up anymore after I thought about it.

The only non-SA LPer I watch anymore is ShyGuyExpress since he plays Super Metroid rom hacks (and the occasional Super Mario World hack) and I can't get my rom hack fix here that often. Other than that I really got into Longplays, where people play a game without commentary and post the entire game at once. It lets me see a lot of the old SNES and PSX games I never got a chance to play but always saw at the rental store.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 17, 2018

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

ZeusCannon posted:

I would ask him how his Lp of Minecraft story modeSonic Forces was going

:emptyquote:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
nah, not kicking this hornet's nest :yikes:

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 20, 2018

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Putty posted:

Watching my favorite let's players make fart sounds on the fortnite battle bus as I wonder what their political views are.

Too long for the thread's subtitle unfortunately.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Nice

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

:yikes:

I really loving hate how it feels that being corrupt and an rear end in a top hat seem to be the only way to be successful in life sometimes. :smith:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
So he was more of an rear end in a top hat. :v:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

ZeusCannon posted:

Is marble zone the one with inexplicable lava? It's been a bit. If so I agree 100%

Yeah, it really up'd the difficulty for me as a kid. I had a much easier time playing 2.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Danaru posted:

Dan has a serious digestive condition he's mentioned a few times which has hospitalized him a couple times before. It's serious enough that Arin mentioned the reason Game Grumps employees have such a good health plan is because he wanted to help Dan so he doesn't have to pay for hospital care. When Dan's too sick to do any grumps stuff, Arin does random bullshit so he doesn't use up games he could be playing with Dan.

That doesn't excuse that terrible thumbnail. :colbert:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
So YouTube going down the other night reminded me they had competitors once, like Blip.TV for example. Shame they had to become an essential monopoly on the video sharing business.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Putty posted:

Oh sorry my mistake. Wrong thread.

I'm trying to figure out what thread would be the right thread for that.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Welp, another non-SA Let's Player I watch has added a webcam to their already overcrowded videos so that's an "unsubscribe" for me. :smith: Why do people have to pile their videos with chat boxes, subscription/donation notifications and webcams? I just want to see the game you're loving playing.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Jamesman posted:

For my streaming, here's my thought process for what I add to my overlay.

Chat box - So if people watch the recording, they can see what I'm responding to.
Notifications/Alerts - So I'm aware of when people show their support or appreciation, and I can acknowledge it.
Follow Tracker - Because I want to make affiliate and I want people to be aware of my progress and maybe consider following, and I don't want to constantly bring it up when streaming.

I try to keep it all off to the side and all a reasonable size so it doesn't take over the screen and doesn't obscure any important information from the game. I guess it helps that I stream to an extremely small audience, so the above example is an "at-best" situation that pretty much never actually happens, meaning there's even less going on in the video than what's presented there.

I've warmed up a bit to the idea of facecams, but the worst offenders are usually the most prolific, so it's hard for me to say I "like" facecams. But I follow enough people that use them and it doesn't bother me, so they must be using them "right" or something.

I thank you for your explanations but I want to warn you that when I watch a video on my phone that stuff mostly is too small to read properly. Problem is it also shrinks the gameplay screen as well. I've been watching a lot more YouTube on my phone at work since it's been pretty slow lately (work computers are blocked out). Problem with the LPer was their webcam was now taking the bottom of the screen and dead space next to it. And then the chatbox to the right; effectively limiting the gameplay window to the upper left of the screen. It looked horrible.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

gschmidl posted:

Looks like the Men Drinkin' Coffee are calling it quits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1v1TWiQrtw

Never forget the magic that was Road to Hell...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciWJqIKJPjE

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Coolguye posted:

i keep meaning to get around to doing a Risk of Rain LP since his was actually pretty decent but nobody wanted to watch it after that regrettable scenario

Surprisingly, that was someone else he's talking about.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Oh man, who would've though that making a blanket program to pump videos to children could be so easily exploited. Oh wait, this is YouTube we're talking about. :v:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Jamesman posted:

If Baldurk set up a Patreon or something, I would absolutely throw $5 his way every month. The Archive has been a great resource for so many of us and I really don't wanna see it ever go away.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Don't forget to tighten up those graphic on level 3.