Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

From the article about cards:

Stuff cards cannot do that annotations can:

Youtube once again removes a feature for no reason, says they will integrate it into the new thing replacing it, and then don't do half of the work and call it done. gee what a surprise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Turtlicious posted:

I am curious how youtube is going to treat LP's and let's players now that they are losing funding due to the huge influx of Alt-Right weirdoes and straight up Nazi's.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/youtube-loses-major-advertisers-over-offensive-videos-w473377

They'll come back. The difference between them coming and going though is that they will publicly announce when they go.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
He certainly can be one of the less offensive "no inside voice" youtube stars. Plus he's a really nice person who is grateful for his fanbase and respects them and also isn't a fuckin neo-nazi.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This doesn't have much to do with LPs but this seems to've been the Post Youtube poo poo Here thread for a long time now so:

Youtube continues to poke the beehive by randomly demonetizing dozens of videos from many high-ranking/performing youtubers

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Trick Question posted:

I hate to ruin the joke, but look at the publish date.

Last year he did this same thing, except it was a joke, so I doubt he'd pull the same gag twice except completely straightforward the second time.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Another new youtube change: You can no longer turn on monetization on your channel until it has 10,000 lifetime views. Naturally, they can still put ads on your videos and collect revenue from them even if you can't. Weird change.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tendales posted:

That article seems to say that ads won't run at all on channels until they hit the 10k mark, which seems reasonable enough.

Depends on how you interpret this line:

quote:

Starting today, we will no longer serve ads on YPP videos until the channel reaches 10k lifetime views.

Which could mean either way, really. It's slightly less scummy if that's the case, at least.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For the record, it took me a year almost to the day as a small channel to make $100 in ad revenue (at which point I just turned monetization off because gently caress that), took... about 175,000 views? Either way, it was an amount most small channels do not reach. It's already very stacked against channels who are just starting out which is a bummer whether it helps defeat the fraud or not.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Klaus88 posted:

What in the blue gently caress.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
But I already see shamelessness every time I click one of his videos.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Geocities Homepage King posted:

we're just going to have lovely slowbeef brand knockoffs of everything soon.

We already do! It's called Let's Play!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For those that don't want to watch (and who can blame you): Youtube's recent policy changes now require you to have a Google Adsense account to run ads and monetize your videos. Because he was partnered until just recently, this was not a problem for him because he was managed by them and did not need to do this. However, now that he's on his own he has to have a Google Adsense account for all of his stuff. Phil has two gaming channels, but you can only have one Adsense account tied to your name. The way to resolve this is to link both channels to your single Adsense account instead of applying for different Adsense accounts for both... but for some reason he seems to not understand that he can do this.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
He really is just the worst

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

YIKES, this whole video

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I was like "oh can't be all that bad and besides that guy in Heavy Rain is a pretty offensive stereotype already even without Phil's input" and then it became second number 2 of the video and it was just all downhill from there

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's the future of entertainment, sorry gramps :sax:

edit: It's the future of entertainment, sorry gramps *goes to buy a house in a gated community that I'm about 650,000 dollars short for*

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Phil needs to :sever: his internet connection

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Dahir Insaat group is insane in more ways than one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This age of the internet where common people are starting to think it's ok to do that just because they have the tools is really annoying.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's great, until you're popular and get hundreds of comments saying "I hate you and want you to die" every day like every popular youtuber does regardless of whether they are a nice person or not.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Coolguye posted:

This is absolutely, positively, one hundred percent true. You're going to get people hating on you and giving you heat no matter what you do. It'd be great if that negativity didn't exist but it does and if you're out there pushing yourself you're the one who's gonna suck it up. At the end of the day though it's on you to give haters power and ammo, and jumping around like a fool the way DSP does gives them both in spades. I think one of my older collaborators summed it up best, though: "You might say to me that it's unforgivably bullshit that I have to deal with people gnawing at my rear end for posting videos. I'll tell you that it's unforgivably bullshit that you have to roll out of bed at 7 or 8 am just because some jerk at the office says you have to. We can both agree both things are unforgivably bullshit, I just choose to put up with a different one than you."

The way to take power and ammo away from the haters is to disable comments on your videos and he did that so.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

discworld is all I read posted:

The best way to take away the hater's power is to not post things for public consumption. The haters will still exist, they'll still take videos and make "best of DSP masturbating before stream" comps, and all announcing that he's disabling comments is doing is telling trolls that they're winning and that they just need to try a different avenue now.

But what's important to Phil is that they won't be able to post it on his own Youtube channel anymore, his home turf or whatever, and I don't blame him for wanting to cut that off.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I mean, I'm sure there's that aspect of it too. But it's really not such a mind blowing prospect as this thread seems to think it is to wanna not have people telling you to eat poo poo on your own videos.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

WOOOOOW, YOU CALL THAT A VIDEO GAME? MEDIOCRE!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Every time I feel depression creeping up and start to think, "Am I an idiot? Do I really only think I am an intelligent person because I'm stupid and don't know otherwise?" I just remember that Phil exists and suddenly I feel better

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Leal posted:

lmao this new thread title

Holy poo poo. :eyepop:

Leal posted:

Whaaat, you mean disclosing confidencial medical information about my girlfriend and trying to make her visit to the emergency room comedic would have her break up with me? How was I supposed to know that?! loving Kojima"

Never Be Relationship Over

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Phil's reaction to video games in his video is akin to a parent watching his child put the round peg through the round hole. He very much does not care about the round peg successfully going through the round hole in the same way he cares about anything else in this world, he's mostly just going "WOOOOOW" to make the child laugh and clap because they did something good.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
According to his channel description, it's meant to be all-ages entertainment, and Roblox is still somehow unbelievably popular in 2017. He seems like a pretty nice guy from his Twitter but drat those videos.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I know her name but I don't remember from where. She was a subject of a retsupurae, wasn't she? Minecraft, I think?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RareAcumen posted:

I don't really have much to continue the discussion with but I just want to bring some of my confusion over to here.

I was watching something and a Game Grumps video came up in the recommended side for some reason. Thing was is that it was like part 68 of Paper Mario TTYD. And they were still only like halfway through chapter 4. They spend like three minutes struggling to figure out how to beat a Buzzy Beetle. They tried hammer and after that didn't work, they were pretty much stumbling blind. You have two attacks, hammer and jump, it shouldn't be this difficult a puzzle! :psyduck:

Yes, they are astoundingly bad at Paper Mario. It's one of their worst LPs if you actually like watching the video game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Supeerme posted:

Isn't the Game Grumps the same people who kept skipping tutorials and then start complaining about the lack of tutorials when they get stuck?

Yes. Dan is thankfully the voice of reason and tells Arin to actually read the text on the screen saying how to play, but sometimes he just doesn't listen because fuckin why not man it's not like they're putting on a show or something

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Waffleman_ posted:

It's better than when Jon was on and would just yell out the N word unprompted every once in a while.

Boy does that whole deal make a lot more sense now! :suicide:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
edit woops meant to post this in the tech support fort

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm not! They should not have the right to do that even if it's to big ol shitheads.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I won't deny that it makes for good karmic justice because it sure does! Just saying that it's a good example of them demonstrating powers they should not hold over their audience.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
He certainly did gently caress himself though!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Most (I'd say 'all' but, well, Twitch) of the xGasm emotes are just a crop of someone making a goofy expression, and not someone actually orgasming, so therein probably lies the difference.

edit: jesus christ there's loving thousands of them :stare:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jun 24, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I assume the logic behind it was "it's the company's fault this is happening, ergo people will be mad at them because without them I wouldn't be doing this". But that's stupid, and Alex Mauer is stupid!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

She also just changed her twitter banner to this a little while ago, so, uh...

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm sure she'll be fine, but it's always a bummer to see people publicize their stress breakdowns.