Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Turtlicious posted:

I am curious how youtube is going to treat LP's and let's players now that they are losing funding due to the huge influx of Alt-Right weirdoes and straight up Nazi's.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/youtube-loses-major-advertisers-over-offensive-videos-w473377

this is not even remotely a problem constrained to the LP community. singling them out would not solve youtube's problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

take a shot

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

this is to stop click fraud on ads. one of the ways people were scamming youtube ads is to open a burner account, upload random videos, monetize them, and shove bot traffic at them that would immediately click any and all ads. youtube has done their best to keep up with it, but the automated nature of their payment platform means that it is still possible and profitable to get one round of payouts before the fraudulent channel was found and burned. it's been a problem for quite some time and is one of the leading drags on how much money legitimate content creators make on their ads; advertisers bid on the cost of ads much like an auction, and bad actors in the auction depress prices for everyone.

10k lifetime views is not very many. my channel is by no means terribly popular and it still has multiple millions of lifetime views. this is a good change for basically everyone. the main legitimate users it will hurt are people who are doing offbeat things who are struggling to find their market. ostensibly they could use ad revenue to then pay for their own ads to help them find their market. it is a pretty small subsection, though.

Added Space posted:

It's a standard "steal from the poor" grab. Five bucks in ad revenue doesn't mean much to any one small timer, but multiply that by thousands or millions of channels and you've got another few points of profit.

btw: this is not relevant because they already have a minimum payout threshold established. i can't remember what it is precisely but i think it is like $20. that threshold is common industry practice on all software payment platforms to stop someone from paying more in transfer fees than they do in actual payouts. to deposit your earnings they have to pay someone to move the money, after all.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 6, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Consider that these fraudsters are hitting 100 and more with fewer than 10k views to give you an idea of how bad the fraud is btw

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the environment that can return a positive result for the worst among us is a good one.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

bman in 2288 posted:

But... Wait, what's the point of being engaged if you're just doing it to be engaged? You mean to tell me they have no plans of getting married but they still got engaged?!

I don't know why this confuses me. It's DSP, I shouldn't try and make sense of it.

the man took beyonce's advice

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

That's a brilliant channel idea. I'm only pissed I didn't think of it myself.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah for real go deliver some drat pizzas holmes it's not that hard

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

1100/mo equates to 13k/yr

the federal poverty guideline for 2 people in a household is 15k/yr. for 1 person it is 11k/yr.

please do not pretend like he's made it in the shade because his patreon has numbers on it. this isn't to defend him but let's at least make our complaints about his behavior coherent.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

his other sources of income + his fiancee's income would have to quintuple the displayed numbers on patreon to reach the average income for an american family. i'm sure irresponsible spending is a fair bit of it, and his habits publishing what work he has and interactions with the community he's got are hilariously bad and certainly not helping. again though, dude does not have it made.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtHDM9_lf2g

What the gently caress are these comments

hey clogmonkey open your mouth

i need to pee

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

shoulda paid that 10k for unlimited steam access forever back in 2013 goldurnit

knew i had my chance dag nabbit

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Even if you want to make money off your community at a no-cost way to them, it's much more effective to work out affiliate deals with various outlets and intelligently route your traffic there. There's nothing inherently wrong with ads now that the virulence surrounding them has largely subsided and the internet populace has grudgingly made their peace with them, but there are ways to monetize a following that not only make you more money, but are a better conversation with your followers as well.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Leal posted:

But his dumbass got himself banned from adsense for telling his fans to click links multiple times a day and poo poo. Just... lmao. Current Phil is paying for Past Phil's mistakes. And Current Phil's mistakes.
lol i was sitting here wondering how he got himself clapped with click fraud since that tends to be relatively difficult to prove with aged accounts

if he's on camera telling people to click the ads to support him, just loving lol. that is one hundred percent clownshoes.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Phil needs to :sever: his internet connection

along other things sure

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Added Space posted:

Cute. Yes, indeed, how dare I suggest someone seek effective and appropriate treatment? What a monster I am.

I've had panic attacks and I've had a heart attack. I want nothing more than to see people take prudent and appropriate action.

gonna guess that red text has a pretty great story behind it considering this post

to be clear, definite lol at the idea of an ER trip 'not being strictly necessary'. that's some hindsight poo poo to the max right there.

[very philish voice] huh i am having these chest pains but i really don't want to put miles on my car it's probably just gas *dies in suffocating agony, foaming from the mouth*

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Doc Morbid posted:

That's the first smart thing I've heard from this man... well, ever, even if his reasons for doing so are a bit silly.

it's entirely a reflection of his own attitudes. in all the time i've been making content on youtube i've had to deal with a harasser once. this is because, in general, i try to engage with people like they're my equals and I like them, whereas phil regards even his fans with bare-faced contempt.

it would be quite simple to focus the rage and hate only at games and gaming practices he dislikes and knock out 95% of the hate over the long term. it would require careful adjudication and banning of accounts that are simply trolling, and would take a long time, but it could be done. rolfe did exactly this and accomplished exactly this.

it just requires hard work, dedication, and a willingness to continuously improve. phil has not really shown any of those things.

Nihilarian posted:

not that he's wrong to ignore youtube comments, but lol if he thinks the Twitch community has less "toxic attitudes, trolling and insults"
assuming his overall goal is to engage new fans and get more donations through his patreon or whatever, he is VERY wrong to ignore youtube comments. a youtube comment is someone reaching out and asking for a personal connection with you on some level. they won't support you without that personal connection. you should jump up and down for joy each and every time you get a comment. even if it's a troll post, you can remove it and send a PM to the troll saying something like "i'm happy to hear what you're saying but i'll have to request you don't curse at me. what exactly would you like me to hear?"

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

The reason you've only had one harasser has literally nothing at all to do with how you engage your audience and is more likely a result of your obscurity.

Also one is too many.

I'm by no means internet famous but I've got more than enough subscribers and traffic that I've had Youtube reach out to me 4 times in the last 2 months asking why I haven't monetized my poo poo yet. (for the record, the answer is 'because I've got bigger ideas than showing ads on loving Youtube, thanks'.) I've been doing this a minute and I've actively focused on building a community and engaging with people on a near-daily basis for years. I've done multiple collaborations both on SA and off. The entire THING I've revolved my poo poo around is cooperation, and the community of folks I've ended up finding is real big on that value. I don't disagree that one harasser is one too many and people should be better to one another, but I do, in fact, have an inch of room to speak to this subject. And toward that end:

Dias posted:

After a certain popularity threshold, you're gonna have people come around just to hurl abuse at you, especially if you don't fit the mold for a streamer (white, male, Standard American accent, undisclosed/"truth is in the middle" political opinions). However, I do believe you reap what you sow when nurturing a community.
This is absolutely, positively, one hundred percent true. You're going to get people hating on you and giving you heat no matter what you do. It'd be great if that negativity didn't exist but it does and if you're out there pushing yourself you're the one who's gonna suck it up. At the end of the day though it's on you to give haters power and ammo, and jumping around like a fool the way DSP does gives them both in spades. I think one of my older collaborators summed it up best, though: "You might say to me that it's unforgivably bullshit that I have to deal with people gnawing at my rear end for posting videos. I'll tell you that it's unforgivably bullshit that you have to roll out of bed at 7 or 8 am just because some jerk at the office says you have to. We can both agree both things are unforgivably bullshit, I just choose to put up with a different one than you."

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

CJacobs posted:

The way to take power and ammo away from the haters is to disable comments on your videos and he did that so.

100% untrue. if you say 'i'm doing something big and public because of haters', then you have given haters the power to make you do something big and public.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i kind of like the idea of phil being reduced to a camper he calls THE HATE VAN and he just tears through towns screaming incoherently on a megaphone system he's hastily bolted onto the top

e: and then on the way out of town he hits a low tunnel and it rips the speakers off

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

this conversation just got awesome again

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

here's how i consume dsp media:

1) i don't
2) ^

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Earnestly posted:

Doesn't that describe every lp group?

it's really a weird experience for me to see this on other LP groups when among Roboky and me it's considered a colossally sick burn if someone drops tutorial information on you and you didn't know it

like if you're a time warrior and you don't read just what are you even fuckin doing here. if you honestly miss a detail okay but if you're just wholesale ignoring poo poo you're gonna get clowned, and clowned hard.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Jamesman posted:

As much fun as it is to laugh at DSP's misfortunes, it actually kinda sucks that he's being bullied by a company when he's in the right.

it actually owns

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

boy howdy are there a lot of extremely broken people on the internut

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Coolguye posted:

boy howdy are there a lot of extremely broken people on the internut

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

Fair enough, I guess. It's just that I really can't help but feel a lot of time and energy's been wasted by simply not getting Alex the help she needs.

people who do not want help will benefit from no amount of it on offer.

no matter how much we dislike watching someone destroy themselves, if they're committed to doing that there's nothing anyone can do about it.

i'm not sure what more you expect. they literally threw her into the loony bin. should they throw her back and get a court order to not release her this next time?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

Dunno, maybe? There should be more than enough proof that she's got more than a case of the sadbrains, and certainly should be enough to have her committed, at least for a while. Then again, this is the infamous American mental health system we're talking about, so there might not be much help to be had either.
court proceedings like that are incredibly expensive both emotionally and monetarily. it is insane to suggest people should go through that meat grinder for someone who does not want help. the barometer for the sort of restraint you are talking about is to prove she is a physical threat to herself or others, too, because we're talking about imprisonment for being annoying, basically. anti-trans idiots are bad but what you're talking about boils down to locking Alex up and taking away all her personal freedoms because she looks bad for other trans people. there is no help to be had anywhere for any mental or emotional issue if the sufferer does not want help. this has nothing to do with any "infamous" mental health systems anywhere - you cannot help people who do not want help.

end of the day she's not a lot different from Phil, who we laugh at full time. Phil is also definitely diagnosable as some poo poo or another because good Christ a normal person does not act that way, but the dude does not want help so the only thing left is to laugh.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

McFetusBurger posted:

Edit: Not can be, is. It's incredibly dangerous to a free society when you tell a group of people they can't make their own decisions about their health, even when they physically can't. That's the paradox of our current mental health system.

Sorry if this is hard to read, it's late and it's been a long day.

yeah this is the real thing that most people without experience with mental illness never quite get. this isn't a matter of oh this person is sick, give them the business and they'll get better. even the smartest experts on the planet cannot agree if a 'terminal mental illness' is even a thing.

what i mean by that is, if you get diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, you are done, finito, there's nothing that's going to save you and that disease is absolutely going to kill you. this is a fact and anyone who says otherwise is objectively incorrect. our knowledge of the nature of mental illness as a whole is so incredibly infantile that the most educated and knowledgeable people on the planet cannot say for sure whether or not any diagnosis of mental illness, no matter how severe or conspicuous, is terminal in the same way. this isn't to say it doesn't exist - quite the contrary, there's good data it's a real and gravely serious thing. but there's just as much good data that it doesn't, so any reasonable practitioner must conclude that they need more data. aka: they don't know. when people go 'hey just get them the help they need' and whine about the state of mental health they miss the impossible situation those practitioners are in, and the even more impossible situation the regulators and the courts face trying to provide guidance of any sort.

if you can show the trajectory of a mental health issue and actually prove that it ends in ruin and death, THEN you can talk about fighting the illness in a practical way, but until then both morally and practically your hands are tied. it's not a failure of funding or compassion, though obv more of the former would help us eventually figure out where and how to apply the latter; until then you don't know and you're probably a huge rear end in a top hat if you laugh at anyone with a life-destroying mental illness, regardless of how that person is packaged or how the illness presents.

tl;dr: if you're posting in this thread you're probably a bad person, own it and accept it until we know how we can be good. because we kinda don't right now.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

five year survival for the supermajority of forms of stage 4 cancer is still single digit, ten year is even worse. the treatments are better but cancer survival isn't just completing the course of treatment. a ten year survival from a stage 4 diagnosis is still classifiable as a medical miracle in all but i think 2-3 cancer types.

it is going to kill you, if not directly then by weakening your entire body so bad that an opportunistic infection finishes the job; this is not a technicality, most 'cancer' patients actually die of something like pneumonia, but their CoD is cancer. more to the point though, this is a real concept that exists in systemic/internal medicine, but does not in mental health. gfl calibrating your moral compass in that hellhole of a situation.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

if you can kill on the scale of a god, and have the arrogance of a god, who is to say that you are not a god?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

will not stop her from making frivolous legal filings. yt and steam both have mailing procedures for these things because they're halfway to required to. so even if you did this (btw there are a lot of folks who consider internet access at least a basic utility and possibly a human right), she's going to continue this crusade until the normal courts deal with her like a normal loony toon. it's literally the same thing as the jack thompson horseshit right now. so at this point you either ignore the situation because it's too tiring or uncomfortable in which case you're a coward on some level, laugh at the mentally ill person in which case you're basically a bad person in some stripe, or advocate stripping her of basic personal freedoms in which case you're prly some flavor of fascist in someone's mind at least. the thing that sucks about situations like this is that even as a listener the only winning move is not to play/know about it. if you're a content creator and you kind of have to know about it then you're really fuckin boned.

to be one hundred percent clear I'm the first two of those so I'm a bad person and a coward depending on the day but when we spend most of our time itt laughing at phil who is definitely mentally ill in some way or another (but not as cripplingly as Alex) the bad person ship sailed a while ago and i can live with that one

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you can rationalize it however you need, but phil is textbook narcissist and is definitely more mentally ill than many people in actual therapy. i personally won't let that stop me from laughing at him all day and night but let's not pretend we're virtuous for it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

my sister is doing what amounts to a let's play of Mario 64 to her 2 year old daughter using an emulator and controller setup I built up for her

seeing my niece giggle and exclaim "I'm watching my guy!" when Mario tears rear end around a zone and yell "go guy go!" when the star dance plays is basically the most heartwarming thing I have seen in years

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

youtube's entire THING is that they don't make judgements on your content, too

like if you want to see what judgements about content look like, go look at blip's history. they evicted pretty much everything that didn't measure up to their arbitrary designation of 'quality' and then lost all of the remainders to netflix because netflix actually had a monetization strategy that makes sense

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i think the supermajority of all content on youtube isn't even monetized, they certainly don't do a good job of pushing people toward that setup if that's the overall goal

truthfully i don't think it is. i've spoken to the VP of operations at youtube and they make enough to make it worthwhile and not hemorrhage money, but they don't seem overly concerned about making more. the real value they extract out of youtube is the absolute sea of data that user behavior generates on the site. this in turn makes ad placements elsewhere more effective. this is something they can quantify with data, actually.

youtube's a force multiplier for google, all they want it to do is not bleed cash or spike liability. beyond that as long as people keep using it so intensely they could not care less how they're using it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

okay well hopefully to cut off a dogpile that ends in a lot of hurt feelings and a permanent internet scarlet letter i will point out that there is a very simple way to figure out if someone you work with wants to do something outside of work. you say the following:
"hey, do you want to do something outside of work sometime?"
if the answer is not a variant of "yes", you say something like "sure, that's fine." and then change the subject.

if the entire exchange lasts for longer than this, one should not be surprised that it feels 'off' to someone. the intensity of how 'off' it feels can be quite subjective, and there is no right or wrong answer on that. sexual harassment is absolutely determined by the victim of the behavior so it's completely valid.

that said the consequences of that harassment can also be questioned on a case by case basis without someone being a terrible awful no good very bad person about it. it is largely separate from the concept of 'what is sexual harassment', and it is a very important part of how people come to an agreement on what acceptable behavior is, as it establishes precedent that allows us all to properly judge future events.

thread, if you choose to eat yourself for 100 posts after this one, don't say i didn't try.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 11, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

hm it is almost like he has very little respect for his viewer base and that his low opinion of them has been confirmed a dozen times at this point

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Putty posted:

I somehow couldn't find this thread for several months it wouldn't appear in search results.

I think anyone who has a Patreon should be thrown in Mount Vesuvius but thats just my opinion.

does this include our illustrious admin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Putty posted:

Lowtax does not

the announcement from lowtax rn posted:

I have been asked in by multiple people to set up a Patreon so it's easier for them to make foolish decisions regarding their money and the process of transferring the ownership of it from themselves to us, so I have created a kinda all-purpose Patreon which will be used for all the projects I'm working on now:

https://www.patreon.com/GamingGarbage

If you have no interest engaging in such an activity, this is fine and you need not click any link and I apologize you chose to read this announcement! However if you do possess interest, I encourage you to just click the hell out of the link and go absolutely hog-wild!

PS: internet spaceship jpgs coming soon, just like Star Citizen's imminent release!!!