Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I recommend Dawn Somewhere, an amateur animator who puts emphasis on doing transformative work. My favorite is his Mechwarrior series, where he removed all the audio and rewrote the entire plot as a satire; as in, effort was made and there's actual political commentary satire. It tells the tale of a planet's princess defending her people from an interstellar Walmart.

Be warned he also does fandom stuff, so people who are easily offended or have a nervous disposition probably want to stay away from his other content.

A list of his Let's Plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

CommissarMega posted:

I've always heard it said that the First Amendment only stops the government from censoring whatever you say, and even then it's kind of limited in that regard (i.e. if I work from a Congressman and call him a shithead on Facebook, I can still get canned). As far as I know, Google is a private organization and can lawfully ban or censor anything that doesn't agree with their corporate values or harm their bottom line. It's not censorship, per se, just capitalism.

That being said, I'm not an American, and I don't know much about you Yanks' Constitution, so I might be wrong on all counts there.

:eng101: There's quite a bit of talking past each other on this point. People who are advocates of free speech find some recent behavior, such as Twitter throttling some political content or Facebook blocking news from certain websites, to be contrary to the ideals of a free and open exchange of ideas. The response is typically "Free Speech only means the First Amendment and that doesn't apply to private companies!" While this is correct, it's also a strawman since the principles of free speech extend beyond its specific mention in the American constitution. People are not arguing that Google can't try to financially strangle political viewpoints it doesn't like, but that it shouldn't in order to preserve an open exchange of ideas.

The hardest part of free speech is advocating for the rights of the abhorrent. (Actual) racists and anti-semites are the canary in the coal mine - as long as they're able to speak, then we know the unpopular are also able.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
From usual to unusual -

HCBailly

"I play classic JRPGs, like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, & others in a walkthrough commentary format. Main LPs are usually uploaded daily and publish at 7am CST/CDT. When I have a side LP, I usually upload the episodes every other day and publish them at 7pm CST/CDT."

Pretty much it. He is upbeat, well researched, and releases on a regular schedule. No brilliant points, but no glaring weaknesses. A real 7/10.

Deceased Crab

He used to post on SA, but I assume there was some drama and now he's mostly on youtube. He focuses more on obscure and independent titles. He's best known for his series on La Mulana.

Ricky Royal

His main series is "Box of Delights", where he details and does demo playthroughs of board games. He's got a very soft spoken English voice and is very soothing to listen to.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Yep, that's part of the fall out over the Jontron debacle. Google ramped up their "financially strangle anyone whose politics might upset others" plan, and it highlighted one of the problems. Once you cast the tuna net, you're going to start pulling in dolphins. They also instituted a hilarious parental block system which might as well be a blanket ban on anything that isn't a commercial. Let's Plays are probably still fine until their creator gets a Nazi swastika pinned to them; they're pretty much ads already.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

GoneRampant posted:

What's the quote, never attribute to malice what can be blamed on stupidity?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
It's a standard "steal from the poor" grab. Five bucks in ad revenue doesn't mean much to any one small timer, but multiply that by thousands or millions of channels and you've got another few points of profit.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Didn't see the video, but generally an emergency room is for life-threatening medical emergencies, which don't include anxiety attacks. Anxiety attacks are unpleasant but rarely dangerous. Unless she's got a respritory condition or something she should be seeking a more appropriate mode of treatment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Cute. Yes, indeed, how dare I suggest someone seek effective and appropriate treatment? What a monster I am.

I've had panic attacks and I've had a heart attack. I want nothing more than to see people take prudent and appropriate action.