Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Asehujiko posted:

It got buried in the nazi debate last time so I'll recommend it again, age of empires 2 pro TheViper is doing a blind playthrough of the campaigns on his youtube channel. He's incredibly skilled at the game but only rarely plays singleplayer campaigns so his "meta" knowledge is somewhat lacking, leading to some funny situations.

Celts(tutorial)
Franks and a small contributor made companion piece to watch after the 5th mission
Saracens
Mongols
Teutons(final episode expected today/tomorrow)

These are fantastic so far, the dude has mad skills and, somehow, simultaneously, is constantly missing things. I've only gotten through two campaigns so far and he's already lost one of the easiest missions and beaten what's often considered the hardest (Paris, which is more of a QTE than a mission) on his first try.

edit: aand on the last mission of France he goes through all of his own hero units like butter by not taking care of them.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
And nothing of value was lost.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Leal posted:

Have you ever noticed slowbeef and dsp has never been in the same lp together? Makes you think!

Dammit I was all set for this joke

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I like the idea of a game company selectively enforcing IP, not based on payola reviews or whether the video maker likes the game, but just to get rid of people who suck at playing the game.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

That part might be a DMCA safe harbor compliance requirement. DMCA's safe harbor material never anticipated anything like a low-level distributed usermodel like youtube.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The DMCA has significant issues, but w/r/t copyright claim systems and the relevant service provider safe harbor there's not really a good way to handle them due to the variety of actors, and raw amount of content, involved. I haven't dug deeply into the issue, but it appears that the big problem is the nitty gritty details of how Youtube implemented safe harbor compliance, coupled with the impossible pressures of the userbase they serve.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 17, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This new shade of red needs to be incorporated into the forums redesign somehow. Maybe the default text color?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

What does gamer dust smell like?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

There was a lovely game LP thread a year or two ago where someone here did Cry of Fear. Back when it released it was pretty cool because there wasn't a whole lot else like it on the market, but in retrospect it's awful. Most of the scares are just really loud jump scares and it's got some godawful level design, like that train escape that's nearly impossible to beat if you're not great at FPS platforming and know the route to take.

If you want a lesson in bad game design, I can also recommend the free precursor mod for half life 1, Afraid of Monsters. Lots of Find button-backtrack-find button-unmarked path split leading to different endings.

Or go whole hog and play Half-quake, but at least that was intentional.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 6, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I dream specifically of one day repairing lenghtwise-rotating defriberlators in non-domestic sedans. What channel did you see this on?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

no clue, the channel was demonetized and i can't find the video anymore

gently caress

I've had similar problems, I've mentioned it before. I stumbled onto this guy's youtube channel, where he does the exact kind of challenge runs that I love since Violen went inactive and Retro job disappeared up its own rear end, but he's un-everythinged, and it took me literally a month to track his stuff back down.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Channel name section has lots of overlap with my Youtube Intellectual naming guide. Maybe it can be of use:

quote:

Perhaps we goons should create our own composite youtube intellectual. I'm picturing a talking grenade with a monacle, top hat, full tuxedo, sunglasses, mortarboard, full beard, Spartan helmet, walking stick, MSPaint abs, full suit of armor from Dark Souls, and WW2 german infantry helmet.

[Problematic male historical figure/color/light level] [t/T]he [adjective conveying deeply rooted insecurities] [fictional nationality and/or fictional political ideological identifier] [object/animal/"animal"].

Feel free to drop, add, or reorder parts to your liking. If anyone with some coding ability wants to make a generator, please let us know so we can provide material for the lists.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 1, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Well, here's the source for the claimed track match, would that be a starting place?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfAglCBrFrA

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Would it be accurate to say that the reddit SEO discourse has a bit of a cargo cult, or a One Weird Trick, element to it?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Tell me about this Ice Poseidon Guy, thread.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Putty posted:

I've just received word that DarkSydePhil has taken a particularly smelly poo.

Huge, if poo.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I have trouble imagining conflict over the LP form. While it's true that I prefer the ultrapolished, bobvids-style hyper-informative LP, I just, you know, don't watch or post on the other stuff.

Or I hijack it to write obsessive infoposts.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 15, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I'd love it if Bill Gates became a youtube LPer.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I need to handwrite and mail, preferably by courier, a letter to Kamoc politely informing him of some minute symbolism he missed in this SH:Homecoming LP.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

It varies principally by state and school district, based on curriciular standards and funding, respectively.

All of this is tied to which party controls the state legislature and the school board.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Coolyguye, I too went to 7 schools, in MD, NC, VA and AZ- from public schools all the way to Landon. My experience was the polar opposite. more importantly, polling and measurement of public knowledge of US history does not generally reinforce your experience. More broadly, the notion that K12 history education could possibly teach "the whole truth" is, simply, wrong. Educational curricula are in no small part constructed with an eye toward the very limited time and space that educators have.

If some educators prioritize the negative aspects that compromise the idealization of the founding fathers or great men of US history, it is likely because there is a truth of greater importance in that information than in lionizing them for their other acts. This prioritization is in no small part explicitly in response to a prior pattern of education that whitewashed these practices, to broader, harmful social effect.

Please pull forward to receive your order.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Mega64 posted:

I wish I could self-flagellate.

I have a new VR concept for the Castlevania franchise...

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Nico Thulin is perhaps the greatest hatewatch I've ever found. The dude did some of the most impressive Mega Man challenge runs back in the day; no damage, buster only, no miss runs of every classic mega man level. He's developed a truly absurd level of knowledge of the interior workings of mega man games. His weird content creator egotism and eurochuddishness was relatively easy to tolerate because it didn't come up all that much, and he was pulling off absurd things like hard mode nitro man that no one else could touch. Only a handful of other players(including our own Violen and whatever NotEntirelySure's SA username is) consistently rank in that skill level.

Then he ran out of classic form robot masters that met his standards, and started doing "Nico Evaluates" videos, where he plays mega man fangames and passes judgement on them. I have never seen such an incredible combination of idiocy, obtuseness, and egotistical entitlement. My favorite part is when he talks to himself in a sotto voce imitating people pointing out the many, many ways his complaints are invalid.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Coolguye posted:

is that also the cat who did those no hit runs of those absolutely god-awful PC megaman games

no, regrettably no one has done a full raft of perfect runs of the DOS games yet. My dream is to one day find someone who has started that process; all I know is SamuraiKarasu, who did one stage of one of them and planned to do the rest, then disappeared. The closest contenders are:

DaveMan1212, an incredibly obscure channel that's got perfect runs of almost every mega man stage under the sun (including 7, 8 and MM&B), and has even done all the stages of Mega Man Dongs, and even MMxSF (which is just nightmarish, because the bosses and some stages are RNG-heavy).

SuperMetalSonic360, who has gone even further and done no hit no upgrade runs of all stages and all characters for Shovel Knight, and what's even more impressive, several mega man fangames, including Rock Force and Unlimited. If you haven't touched Rock Force's Hard Mode, the idea of doing even one of its stages buster only no hit is an act of pure fanaticism.

Look, I really like mega man perfect runs.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 7, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Sage Grimm posted:

Reminds me of someone back on gameFAQs detailing his runs in text doing this very thing in Mega Man 1. Might have been the same guy 'in proto' for I know, I don't remember the name.

You'd know if there was a flailing social media marketing effort behind it that couldn't conceal the same underlying toxicity and ego that is the bane of all Content Creators.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

...I feel as if this model-applied facerig tech has a massive untapped market in furries.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I can only apologize for my ignorance of facerig. I feel like there are some artists out there who could make a killing making individuated facerigs for people's fursonas. Imagine the video chat client applications, t---

wait, nevermind, don't imagine the video chat applications.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Blue Labrador posted:

YouTube personalities and Neo-Nazis man, I'm honestly fascinated how and intrigued about why those two cultures are so drawn to each other. The 2010s have taken a bizarre turn the last 5 years or so.

There's not a lot to it- the target audience is young, wealthy, male and white (because they have time and money), and the medium has most of the same qualities as AM radio. Passive audience, personality-driven, colossal content churn, high proxy identification, and simultaneous irony and direct value. Additionally, both content creators and the audience are directly targeted by people working for white supremacist groups.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I've spent a lot of time staring into the void on some of this stuff with my comm sci and rhetoric background. I don't want to turn this into the nazi discussion thread, so I'm not going to follow up on this beyond this post unless specifically asked and okayed.

Blue Labrador posted:

Thanks for the take, that all seems pretty sound. Would you mind elaborating a little about "simultaneous irony and direct value"? I feel like I 'get' it, in that the veneer of irony allows one to hold heinous/extreme stances without invoking a certain sense of cognitive or ethical dissonance, but I kind of want to hear if I'm interpreting that correctly.

Pretty much, exactly. It's not even so much that they're reducing cognitive dissonance, as that it reflects their casual disinterest in facts; the point is the recitation of the racist argument, and the elicitation of a predicted response. "Winning" is what matters, not the truth, and winning is judged in part by causing offense in those who care. There are several different articulations of this idea, which is at least as old as Nazis themselves; the Orwellian concept of "doublethink" and several descriptions of how Nazis and bigots operate from that period describe this same phenomenon. There's an incredibly powerful passage in Sartre's 1945 book, "Anti-Semite and Jew" that really captures this (though regrettably a lot of the rest of the book is terrible):

quote:

The anti‐Semite has chosen hate because hate is a faith; at the outset he has chosen to devaluate words and reasons. How entirely at ease he feels as a result. How futile and frivolous discussions about the rights of the Jew appear to him. He has placed himself on other ground from the beginning. If out of courtesy he consents for a moment to defend his point of view, he lends himself but does not give himself. He tries simply to project his intuitive certainty onto the plane of discourse. I mentioned awhile back some remarks by anti‐Semites, all of them absurd: "I hate Jews because they make servants insubordinate, because a Jewish furrier robbed me, etc."

Never believe that anti‐ Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti‐Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past. It is not that they are afraid of being convinced. They fear only to appear ridiculous or to prejudice by their embarrassment their hope of winning over some third person to their side.

There's a related issue also in play, which I've taken to thinking of as the "Mother Night problem," after a Vonnegut book describing the issue. When we imitate or perform a belief, we reinforce the belief itself. People who perform racism, fascism, or other ideologies, either out of self-interested grift or as a lie or to fit in, are socializing and training themselves to actually believe in those ideologies. Youtubers and lonely internet people don't have a separate brain they use to store and compartmentalize the arguments and memes they spout for clicks or attention. Continuously performing edgy racism makes them vulnerable to it.

Blue Labrador posted:

Also, but "proxy identification", we're talking about how a lot of these viewers conflate their identity with the e-celebrities they watch, right?

Yes. If you spend every morning passively listening to the dulcet tones of Rush Limbaugh on your morning commute and you love the guy, you take attacks on him very personally because you've spent a ton of time basically letting his framing of issues shape you.

There's also yet more research coming out (it's been known for at least a year now) that Youtube's content suggestion algorithm naturally pushes viewers to more extreme and isolated content, because basically it maximizes their likelihood to watch several videos in a row and watch for long periods- lots of spicy political talk that they don't want you to know, and no competing viewpoints that might make you close your tab and do something else. Right wing fringe groups, including the alt-right, have been actively manipulating the hell out of the youtube content systems, which already advantage them. They also actively target and attempt to indoctrinate popular content creators on any platform.

The timing of the implementation of the youtube algorithm is possibly the single largest factor in the scale of gamergate and related bigotry- a direct pipeline for extremism.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

bony tony posted:

If you want to know about RE 1-3, just read President Evil's gameFAQs, mdude

Woah, now that's a freaking timewarp. I wonder what they're up to now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

It's not as insurmountable as it seems. The stats on the amount of video uploaded every x seconds is basically a distraction; moderation can and should operate at the user and network level, not by having people manually viewing every upload. The problems of content moderation, even for massive systems, are mostly difficult because the company is programmatically avoiding looking at the problem, and ignoring information about how others address it.