Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

cold march made me bust out this game again because it seemed appropriate and now im kicking myself for never finishing it before because its supremely cool

super duper hard but cool

great sounds, cool environmental reactions to gunshots, the story is mega compelling and it has a really good video game shotgun that sends people flying like 10 feet back

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 17, 2017

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I got something Large for you right here... *does the hand signal and a freighter ship comes into view in the harbor carrying a original Xbox*

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Wormskull posted:

I got something Large for you right here... *does the hand signal and a freighter ship comes into view in the harbor carrying a original Xbox*

If you think you can trick me into believing an OG Xbox could fit on a mere freighter you got another thing coming bud.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
max payne 1 had a super weird development history

at one point it was gonna be a top down isometric shooter where people injected drugs that turned them into hulk monsters

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Kins posted:

max payne 1 had a super weird development history

at one point it was gonna be a top down isometric shooter where people injected drugs that turned them into hulk monsters
Funny as hell, it's the most horrible thing I can think of.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Max Payne hulked out at his wife and son while under the effect of the drug "Valkyr"

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

rediscover posted:

If you think you can trick me into believing an OG Xbox could fit on a mere freighter you got another thing coming bud.

It's really big

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Max Payne 1 and 2 are loving epic OP, except for the dream sequences in 1 but I had a bad experience with those because the game glitched out and I was in a perpetual noclip hovering state with minimal control and I had to awkwardly maneuver Payne in circles around the end point to try and trigger the next cutscene

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

In Training posted:

Max Payne 1 and 2 are loving epic OP, except for the dream sequences in 1 but I had a bad experience with those because the game glitched out and I was in a perpetual noclip hovering state with minimal control and I had to awkwardly maneuver Payne in circles around the end point to try and trigger the next cutscene

I had this happen and it was frustrating as hell, except it was more like he was always stuck to the ground so I couldnt jump to the platforms in the blood maze. Eventually I figured out he could side roll just fine and get enough distance to clear, lol.

I just finished 1 and besides how badass the ending is I love how as the game goes on and you're dealing with commandos and rifles you don't even get time to think anymore, you have to be a beast of instinct and if you arent shooting the second you see movement you are dead.

Supremely tough game and every single doorway and corner meant a new challenge.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

I had this happen and it was frustrating as hell, except it was more like he was always stuck to the ground so I couldnt jump to the platforms in the blood maze. Eventually I figured out he could side roll just fine and get enough distance to clear, lol.

I just finished 1 and besides how badass the ending is I love how as the game goes on and you're dealing with commandos and rifles you don't even get time to think anymore, you have to be a beast of instinct and if you arent shooting the second you see movement you are dead.

Supremely tough game and every single doorway and corner meant a new challenge.

Yeah the last mansion is nuts

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think it's in 2 where one of the levels is just an unabashed recreation of the Lobby shootout from the matrix and it's loving awesome.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

I think it's in 2 where one of the levels is just an unabashed recreation of the Lobby shootout from the matrix and it's loving awesome.

lol yes. did you ever heavily mod max payne?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

FactsAreUseless posted:

Funny as hell, it's the most horrible thing I can think of.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
used the Max Payne mousepad for 10 years before retiring it for a razor 600 dollar mouse pad that lights up

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

In Training posted:

Yeah the last mansion is nuts

Arf keeps telling me the games difficulty is so high because it has some auto adjusting tech that raises difficulty when you don't die and lowers it again when you do, but the game doesnt take into account the quicksaves so the difficulty only gets lowered if you are restarting the level each and every time.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm real surprised at how much better Max Payne 2 looks for being only two years newer. The engine is the same and so are a lot of the sounds, but they tightened the controls so it feels a lot faster in the moment to moment shooting.

Juicef
Feb 14, 2009
Max Payne 2 did the, "every gunfight is a new challenge," thing really well. The difficulty level was spot on. The atmosphere and level design were pretty cool too. Max Payne 3 sucked because it introduced the cover system. I preferred the frantic old school pace of the first two by a long ways.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

We don't talk about Max Payne 3

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBdu6Al_t7c

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

In Training posted:

We don't talk about Max Payne 3

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Max Payne calling a sex line and trying to explain to the girl that killing people doesn't bring your loved ones back.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

2 was easy and the plot wasnt nearly as cool as max payne 1. 3 is really really good tho

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

lmao

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

max payne 3 owns the cover system is just for reloading or youre a huge pussy

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I really like the environments in max payne 2 a lot, they give lots of pieces of cover and multiple angles for attackers to come from and the funhouse in particular is a really cool place to have shootouts in.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

the luxury condo level in max payne 2 is so sick

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
The best part of MP3, the part I actually want to replay, was the airport mission, but somehow my save got busted so the last four chapters are inaccessible with the chapter select and it's tied to my Rockstar account somehow so even if I delete the game entirely or download to a new machine it's still broken. There's no way of ever fixing it apparently. I despise this game

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
The best Max Payne 2 was the Wrong Number amusement park and going through it backwards while it was on fire.

I remember liking the early warehouse levels because they wrapped around vertically and looped you back to areas you've been before like Dark Souls levels.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

StabMasterArson posted:

2 was easy and the plot wasnt nearly as cool as max payne 1. 3 is really really good tho

the plot for 3 is loving trash and a disgrace to the max payne series.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

I'm real surprised at how much better Max Payne 2 looks for being only two years newer. The engine is the same and so are a lot of the sounds, but they tightened the controls so it feels a lot faster in the moment to moment shooting.

The physics engine in 2 is a big improvement also

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

its cool that the cutscenes in max payne 3 are unskippable

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i played payne 3 and havent played the others (i know theyre supposed to be epic) and i didnt like it at all. just felt very sluggish, main dude had a lot of great one-liners but i didnt have any fun with it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

1 and 2 are like 5 hours each and good rear end games.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I may reinstall 2 this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ive gotta give the first 2 a shot. just felt bad because ppl really hyped up 3 for me as a fantastic game and a steal at 10 bucks or whatever and i was bored as hell

• Locked thread