Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I love all 3 Max Payne games. I love Max Payne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

extremebuff posted:

i played payne 3 and havent played the others (i know theyre supposed to be epic) and i didnt like it at all. just felt very sluggish, main dude had a lot of great one-liners but i didnt have any fun with it

That's a bad first impression. 1 and 2 are almost always on sale. They're great besides one or two levels

In Training posted:

I may reinstall 2 this weekend.

It's one of the few games I never take of my he'd

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I love all 3 Max Payne games. I love Max Payne.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Action Tortoise posted:

That's a bad first impression. 1 and 2 are almost always on sale. They're great besides one or two levels

It's one of the few games I never take of my he'd

The only games I don't uninstall are map games, gzdoom and Quake. Although I also added Hitman 2016 to that list because I'm inevitably going to play season 2 and it's like a 70 gig download at this point so I don't want to bother reinstalling it

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

loving jumping between period blood in the mp1 dream sequences

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
The Lords and Ladies soap opera series was pretty great. And that mindfuck suspicion one. Ruled.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

In Training posted:

The only games I don't uninstall are map games, gzdoom and Quake. Although I also added Hitman 2016 to that list because I'm inevitably going to play season 2 and it's like a 70 gig download at this point so I don't want to bother reinstalling it

I do this with Dark Souls 3. Not sure if I'll keep it after I beat the last DLC. same with Shovel Knight.

I keep Deus Ex whenever I feel like doing a fresh run from time to time.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

its fun to do those time challenge maps in mp2

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

the NY parts of Max Payne 3 were good but the rest of the story is completely unnecessary. you can really tell it wasnt written by sam lake.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've never played 3 but I've seen clips of Gritty Cutscenes where Max is abusing painkillers in Brazil or something and it looks like the most brain dead offbrand nonsense I've ever seen.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

thats pretty much the case. the gunplay is fun enough, much better than gta 5 at least, and the multiplayer was prolly the best part, but overall the story was terrible. MP2 ends on a perfect note and should really close the series.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

excited to pick uip the first 2 and stream my first time playin em

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

the NY parts of Max Payne 3 were good but the rest of the story is completely unnecessary. you can really tell it wasnt written by sam lake.

Yeah. You can tell whichever Houser does the writing when Max talks about the you get what you paid for bit in the intro and the rich people partying over the favelas in Sao Paolo.

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005
Anyone else we try the Kung Fu mod for mp1? I remember u could do crazy backflips and poo poo in bullet time.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Please don't talk about Max Payne 3

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Has anybody played the recent Remedy game about time travel? It seems like it could be OK for like 5 bucks.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
hes in the john and looking in the mirror. hes john mirra!!

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

In Training posted:

Has anybody played the recent Remedy game about time travel? It seems like it could be OK for like 5 bucks.

Quantum Break? I thought it was cool. It's like Alan Wake with better combat.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Quantum Break? I thought it was cool. It's like Alan Wake with better combat.

Yeah. I wanna play it and just skip all the cutscenes because they're apparently 25 minutes long.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

trying to jack off posted:

its fun to do those time challenge maps in mp2

getting far enough in one of those that you're constantly in bullet time is gaming nirvana

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Only related but I really liked Alan wake and that was my first remedy game. It could get tiresome but weaponized Luigi's Mansion was fun to me.

I think visually it still is real gorgeous too, especially American Nightmare.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

alan wake is a very beautiful looking game for sure

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

extremebuff posted:

i played payne 3 and havent played the others (i know theyre supposed to be epic) and i didnt like it at all. just felt very sluggish, main dude had a lot of great one-liners but i didnt have any fun with it
wtf dude

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I like the Twilight Zone aesthetic American Nightmare was going for

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

my ps2 didnt get a lot of use beyond GTA and tony hawk those days

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
This thread has made me really wanna play a bunch of early 2000s era PC games. Freedom Fighters was always one of my favorites.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

extremebuff posted:

The first two games are super fast paced and lethal. Once you are accustomed to the weapons and gunplay you are running from room to room, identifying enemies and wasting them without thinking, if you don't react fast enough you are dead and it only takes a few bullets or one shotgun blast to end you. In 1 especially i was quicksavig after almost every firefight because any mistakes meant a load.

I don't know how I'd rate 3 because never played, but that definitely doesn't sound like the first 2.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sometimes they like to stick guys with sawedoffs in doorframes and hidden though and that is very mean, remedy.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
There are a few PS2 games I wish I had back when they were still new. Freedom Fighters, Oni, and the PS2 Matrix games.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
The sawed off in 2 is super deadly bc the reload animation is faster than the first game and the way Bullet Time works in 2 helps you juke bullets easier and for longer periods.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Path of Neo I remember being loving badass.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

In Training posted:

Burly Brawl

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

tumor looking batty posted:

its cool that the cutscenes in max payne 3 are unskippable

This is what made me stop playing. I got it for like 5 bucks used and enjoyed ignoring the cover system as much as possible, but unskippable cutscenes in 2008 or whenever it came out was just shameful.

I liked how Max Payne 1 always had guards talking about their son's good report card or their favorite puppy before you dove into the room and filled them with buckshot

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

In Training posted:

For some reason I never played this even though I played the gently caress out of Enter the Matrix despite it being mediocre in places. I remember playing the sparring stuff in the zen garden over and over. It even had that cool hacking minigame and it was pretty badass having movie-tier cutscenes in a 2003 PS2 game.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Bill Barber posted:

This thread has made me really wanna play a bunch of early 2000s era PC games. Freedom Fighters was always one of my favorites.

bro i played hours and hours and hours of split screen co op with my friend as a child.. bringing back hella memories

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

This is what made me stop playing. I got it for like 5 bucks used and enjoyed ignoring the cover system as much as possible, but unskippable cutscenes in 2008 or whenever it came out was just shameful.

I liked how Max Payne 1 always had guards talking about their son's good report card or their favorite puppy before you dove into the room and filled them with buckshot

I think the cutscenes were used to mask load times. It's the only reason cutscenes are unskippable these days.

Vinny Gognitti and Jack Lupino were the most memorable enemies in the older games.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I used to listen to Jedi Mind Tricks in college and one of their songs samples the music and dialogue from that boss fight with "the wolf."

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K70wRs81QRY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol

• Locked thread