Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

Cyouni posted:

Notice how Erika never used Kinzo is dead despite how it would have won her fight? Humans aren't allowed to make their cases solely using red, they have to prove their cases with evidence and make their own red based off of that.

Though you could argue that that one is because she knew what her master was going for and let her keep that open as a "possibility".
Actually, wasn't that what the garden conversation with Dlanor was about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

Qrr posted:

(I also don't know why she didn't seal the windows from the inside, because seriously she had no reason to climb on the outside of the house).
Isn't it obvious?

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

And here we are, Beatrice's death. Yeah, yeah, I know that's technically another scene, but this is the one that always stuck with me. I've been waiting a while for this scene. Could we get a video of it, by any chance? I played the games when they were first translated, long before the PS3 version was a thing, so hearing it voiced would be neat. Besides, it doesn't have quite the same impact in screenshot form.

Fates End fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 21, 2017

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

oblongmeow posted:

Can't speak for Fates End, but I think just the first part containing Beatrice's farewell is good.

Yeah, that was pretty much what I was going for.

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

THIS IS IMPORTANT.

This is a guarantee that the mystery is completely 100% solvable now. In fact, the author has stated that the mystery is solvable using only information from episodes 1-4 (not that I know of anybody who actually managed that).

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009
Well, if we're posting fan-stuff and such, I might as well post the Magical Gohda Chef theory for Episode 2. I also have a reading of a story relevant to this part, but I think that would be best after next update or two (there's something very slightly spoilery in it).

"While attending to the family conference late in the evening, Rosa came by the kitchen and mentioned to Gohda that there was going to be a Halloween party for Maria in the chapel the next day. Thinking this was a wonderful idea, Gohda decided to make some special treats for the occasion, but because he was distracted he accidentally reached for the box marked "Tiny Food Bombs" instead of the sugar. He gave some of the treats to Rosa, who took them to her siblings. They all went to the chapel to check out the party since they'd probably be too tired in the morning, when the tiny food bombs exploded and killed everyone but Rosa, who wasn't hungry.

Later, Gohda was hanging out and he heard Jessica having an asthma attack. Rushing upstairs, he found Kanon with her and reached for her inhaler, but as he swung it over to give it to her she tripped and he accidentally impaled her in the back with it. Kanon assumed he was trying to kill her and they struggled, and Gohda accidentally pushed Kanon out the window. Realizing he was going to get in so much trouble for this, he quietly locked the window, planted a stake in Jessica's wound, and walked off whistling.

While bored, Gohda decided to show off a new knife trick he learned to Nanjo and Kumasawa. Disaster occurred. Genji suggested they blame Kanon for it so nobody would find out, and dump the bodies somewhere.

Later in the evening, George and Shannon refused to believe Gohda's claim that he was capable of juggling three Stakes of Purgatory at the same time. Upset, Gohda offered to prove it to them in Natsuhi's room. Tragically, he was not as proficient as he thought he was.

Genji called Battler upstairs to tell him everything. Battler couldn't accept this ridiculous scenario, and declared that it was more likely that a witch did it."

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009
And with the reveal of the Gold, I can post How Battler Stole Witchmas:
https://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DZB01uKJbl0I

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

Neopie posted:

For the record, it's still hotly debated exactly what the gold truth is in the Umineko fandom. There's multiple interpretations!

Really? All the places I've seen, it was pretty settled after EP6.

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

bman in 2288 posted:

Watch as you immediately get an original R07-art George AV.

Ah, who could ever forget Fat George?

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

That hasn't been said yet, I don't think. No current game spoilers even in black boxes, wasn't that the rule?

Also, I've said it once, I'll say it again: They aren't the same person, and they can't be the same person. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I can elaborate all the way without more information revealed. Maybe not even until we reach the climax of CH8.

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

lotus circle posted:

Higurashi spoilers are fine in black box, and the device is mentioned in Featherine's profile.

Though frankly I think it should be said that much like how Bern =/= Rika, and Lambda =/= Takano, Featherine =/= Hanyuu in the same fashion.

It was mentioned, but not the rest about it. I'd contest part of the spoiler box, but that's also something I can't talk about until later this chapter.

Fates End fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 30, 2017

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

ProfessorProf posted:

We're not really going to get more info in Umineko about Higurashi connections. They're somewhere between vague hints and inside jokes for Higurashi fans. I don't consider that info to be Umineko spoilers.

Well, there's still that thing [that I said I couldn't talk about], and for me, at least, that's the one piece that made the exacts of her connection to Higurashi fall into place.
E:vv My point (that I tried to hint at as vaguely as possible, and I consider that vagueness about a bigger spoiler on par with outright stating that smaller Featherine related spoiler) was that there IS a big block of info, and it's spoilery. As you've just said.
v Probably be best for you to edit it out too.

Fates End fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 30, 2017

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

Zack Ater posted:

So... Ange is reading this story about Battler as GM to Featherine, which makes it a meta-layer "above" the main story, right? But now Virgilia and the new Beatrice came to the meta-layer, presumably as part of that story? :psyduck:

Well, yes, but there's just the three worlds; the world of the present, the world of the future, and the meta world.

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

Cyouni posted:

Genji states that he believes that it's a young man, and that's the thing that informs our perceptions. That and Battler's voice.

ZiegeDame posted:

This is the best shot I could find of the parlor doors off the top of me head. Looks like double doors to me. (That's the seam between them just above Beato's head.) (The end of EP1 uses the generic door graphic)

Allow me to interject, because this is getting annoying.

No voices existed in the original game except for ahaha.wav! Furthermore, neither did the PS3 sprites or any cgs!

In other words, neither of those are proof for or against anything.

Fates End fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 6, 2017

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

ZiegeDame posted:

Just because they aren't needed to solve anything doesn't mean they're wrong. I highly doubt the whole mystery is going to hinge (sorry) on what sort of doors the parlor has.

I'm pretty sure they just had Daisuke Ono voice the phone call because of the theory Battler presents at the end of the episode. Also because he's already there and why hire a new actor for ten lines.

I know, it's just that while it's really neat to see people theorizing like back when the games were still being made (why, back in MY day-), it's really frustrating to see people use invalid evidence to support their theories or shoot down other people's theories.

alcharagia posted:

Don't make me laugh, you pathetic child. Not only do vocal songs exist in the original game, so too do voice clips of Commander Data and the Borg Queen!

O-of course! I realized that!

Wait...

System0 first played in the first game! That means that Commander Data and the Borg Queen both fit Knox's 1st!
The Ushiromiya family was killed by the Borg! The Borg don't count towards the total of people on the island because they're a soulless hivemind!

Simply by the existence of the Umineko no Naku Koro ni soundtrack, this level of reasoning is possible for Fate's End! What do you think, everyone?

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

Cyouni posted:

How amusing! No life forms other than humans have any connection to this game.

Hehehe... You don't think I already thought of that?

Some of the Borg are formerly human! That makes them more-or-less walking corpses, and so they can interact with the game just as Kinzo's corpse can!

Fates End fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 6, 2017

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

EagerSleeper posted:

So it's turning out that character art might be an effective tool of itself in order to tell what's really going on, as in the case of Shannon/Kanon. For that reason, I think there's something really skeezy about George.

If you're going off character art, go off the original. R07 wasn't directly involved in all of the voice and art decisions for the PS3 version, which in some cases lead to certain... odd... decisions. Not nearly as much as the trainwreck that is the pachinko/steam art, but y'know.

For reference, here's some of the original art.
George (I think the second one corresponds to the sprite in your screenshot):

Kanon:

Shannon:

Beatrice (Please note that it took a LOT of restraint to not just dump my whole folder. She has tons of great expressions.):

Battler as the Endless Sorcerer and in his natural state:

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

tiistai posted:

EP8 manga confirmed Sakutaro's origins, I dunno what debate there is still left.

Yeah, but the EP8 manga is bullshit for reasons (admittedly mostly emotional) that I won't get into here.

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Lets not forget that Erika called herself an intellectual rapist.

Her image song is about boasting that she is smarter then everyone else. And how she will utterly destroy anyone's answer in a discussion, and loves to see people struggle and cry.

And you're not posting the song itself? For shame, MonsterEnvy, for shame. (It's a polsy link.)

Closed captioning gives subtitles!

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

oath2order posted:

I will say that the parallels between this thread and the Umineko fanbase as it existed between 2009-2011 are pretty uncanny.

Well, some of the theories taking hold are coming up later than they were then; a lot of the ones just now getting posters who stand by them already had a steady faction behind them back around EP3/EP4. And, of course, no Moon-chan.

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

lotus circle posted:

Here is what Moon-chan was based upon - an official tarot card released with the anime blu-rays. They did cards for all the Major Arcana.

The fact is, the Moon arcana stands for deception and hidden things; pretty much the opposite of everything that was known about Jessica at the time those cards are released, which split the discussion into people finding reasons she might fit and people who thought that the people who made the anime didn't know or care what they were doing. Therefore, Moon-chan became the name for the Jessica culprit (usually with some servant or another as an accomplice) theory.

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah Zepar has a female voice actor despite how Zepar sounds.

Yes, which is one of the things about the PS3 version that makes me say "What the hell, Alchemist?"I mean, that VA is definitely consciously going that hyper low, since I'm pretty sure it's the same VAs in Ai no Shiren, so that's a deliberate decision by the voice directors, a decision that flies in the face of their "without love, you'll never know which one of us has the penis" thing.

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

alcharagia posted:

Uh, who says either of them have a penis?

(Please note that the Japanese word seibetsu is commonly used for both 'sex' and 'gender'.)

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

alcharagia posted:

Yeah, like I said. Who says either of them have a penis?
Dude, it's just a meme.

ZiegeDame posted:

Is there any chance Furfur is voiced by a man? 'Cause that'd just be the best

Nah, it's Sendai Eri. That would be great, though and would actually lend to to the confusion.

Fates End fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 27, 2017

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

Qrr posted:

Does Japanese have the same difference between gender and sex as English does?

Fates End posted:

(Please note that the Japanese word seibetsu is commonly used for both 'sex' and 'gender'.)

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009
Fine with me, I never wanted to go there to begin with.

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

Danaru posted:

Is it against Knox's Decalogue to kill the detective?

I'm just saying I'd pick Erika over anyone else if I HAD to

Not in words, but I think in spirit. Then again, even Doyle killed off Holmes. Or at least he tried to.

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009
And here it is! The last piece of evidence for my theory!
My theory for what, you ask?
Well, for the question oooof....

Who or what is Bernkastel?

Lotsa Higurashi spoilers, but no Umineko ones anymore.

Basically, throughout Higurashi, there are two Rikas at any given time. The template Rika, and a copy Rika.

The template Rika exists between the fragments, so we never truly meet her, but basically, at the start of every 'loop', the template Rika's 'soul' or whatever is copied into the native Rika of that fragment, overwriting it with her personality and (some of) her memories.

Once a copy Rika dies, all of her memories are copied back into the template Rika, and so she can be said to have 'lived through' that 'loop' despite it technically being a copy of her that did so.

Now, things go haywire once we get to the final 'loop', Matsuribayashi-hen. Because, you see, that's when the miracle finally happen, where Rika survives. Except, hold on, that's not "Rika" getting her wish granted, but "a Rika". See, that's the copy Rika who gets to experience that. The template Rika, the backup Rika, the Rika who remembers every single death she's ever experienced, SHE doesn't get to experience her survival, because the memories of a copy Rika only get uploaded into her when she dies, and the final Rika is unique because she was the only one who didn't die.

In fact, the template Rika realizes that it's IMPOSSIBLE for her to ever experience the miracle of her survival, since even if she did die, it would mean that she didn't survive. In a way, even though the miracle happened, it never did.

This, most of all, broke the template Rika and turned her into a witch. Remember, this is essentially the Minagoroshi-hen Rika, the Rika who finally had her hopes revived after having just about given up for a while now, the one who swore in her last moments to take down Takano no matter what, realising that her hopes and convictions were impossible to fulfill.

I'm not sure where Saikoroshi-hen stands in relation to the template Rika, since the copy never actually died (I'm thinking the template might have been a witch already at this point and witnessed it from the outside) but it's very important for the copy Rika and the origin of the template's new name.

Up to this point, both the template and the copies have thought of themselves as just 'Rika' but it's at this point that the final Rika acknowledges both the template and the copies created from it as being a distinct entity from the Rikas they replace, calling herself(es?) "Frederica Bernkastel". At the end, that's where Furude Rika and Frederica Bernkastel become two separate people, as the copy Rika resolves to live simply as "Rika". In contrast, the template doesn't, because it's realized the hopelessness of herself striving to be Furude Rika, and so becomes simply "Frederica Bernkastel".

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

tiistai posted:

Castling isn't obscure at all

In fact, it's probably one of the only chess terms a layperson would recognize.

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

Wait, there's an explosion? How did I miss that?

Some of you guys theorized the existence of such, but I believe this is the first mention of one.

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

Qrr posted:

She's also apparently Auaus miko, I guess because Ange left?

Former miko.

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

I'm bad at history and geography. Why would a Japanese person have their hometown in Taiwan again?

Up to the end of World War II, Taiwan was a Japanese colony. After World War II, it spent four years as Chinese territory until non-communist China fled to it. It's been it's own country (or, if you ask communist China, part of China that doesn't want to admit it) ever since.

Fates End fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 10, 2017

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

witchcore ricepunk posted:

:lol: Is this from discord? I don't recognize any of the usernames from this thread, except Fate's End.

(and dlord)

Shaia is oath2order. I'm not sure about the other two's SA names (if they have accounts).

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009
Remember, guys, there are two questions in Prof's post. If you only give one answer, he'll assume you mean the same for both.

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

ZiegeDame posted:

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say this'd be the good end as opposed to the happy end.

Although, from the way the boat traveling in a straight line towards the horizon was described, it made me wonder: does Ange have any idea how to drive a boat, or is she just going straight ahead until she runs aground somewhere around Mie or Kyushu?

don't be silly.
obviously, erika's driving the boat.

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009
And for those of you who would like to hear that song in full and see the lyrics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFyzTtKNzYI

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

ZiegeDame posted:

It's gonna be mittenhands art too, isn't it?

don't diss the hams

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009
Behold, the real truth of October 5th, 1986.

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

Rune Full Moon posted:

I'm aware this is a stupid question, but can someone please explain to me what happened in this ending? I've always been confused by it ever since the original release, and then I got more confused with the manga's version since it included Battler among the people that... Battler... reunited with in the Golden Land. Which makes slightly more sense to me since some level of Battler died with Beatrice at the bottom of the sea, but then it makes more sense for Battler to be reuniting with them now, except Battler's been dead this whole time, and my head hurts.

honestly IMO it's best to disregard anything in the EP8 manga that happens after, like, halfway through Chapter 27.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

The Witch of Miracles, Bernkastel, is a reaper of hope and happiness, a destroyer of miracles. Not because she hates good and happy things (though she certainly does), but because hinging your hopes on impossible odds and praying for miracles to fix all your problems is hardly different from self-delusional "truth" that is molded to fit a person's specific biases. Miracles only come to those who can survive without them.

also because even when she got 'her own' miracle, she could never reach it.

• Locked thread