Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Shinji117 posted:

Probably talking about the EP4 final debate where Beato goes all "everyone acknowledged Kinzo was in the room with them" and Battler then shoots down Kinzo-dragon with "Kinzo could be the inherited name of the family head, so people can acknowledge Kinzo without grandfather being alive".

Edit:
More precisely
Beato(Red): All of those who met at the family conference acknowledged the presence of Kinzo.

...back and forth about body doubles, which Beato dismisses with Red saying "No person would mistake Ushiromiya Kinzo by sight. No matter what disguise might be used, they would not mistake Ushiromiya Kinzo by sight!"

Battler(Blue): My theory is that Kinzo's name is passed on as a title of the Ushiromiya family head. Ushiromiya Kinzo was already dead. And he passed his name on to someone else. Everyone acknowledged it! And therefore, 'all of those present at the family conference acknowledged the existence of Kinzo'!

Thank you, this is an excellent source right here. This is pretty much it. One of the things that can defeat the whole "people are proclaimed dead in red truths" thing. If 'Kinzo' is a nebulous term that can apply to anyone and be transferred around, then so can other names be considered such terms as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ZiegeDame posted:

Of course, given it was said in the final battle of EP 4, Kinzo is an inherited name has the same weight as Small Bombs.

It could also be that Krauss and Natsushi just came clean in EP 4 and wheeled Kinzo's corpse into the dining room, where everyone acknowledged his presence and death. Then the shooting began.

I think name shenanigans are an alright theory, especially since it's been shown that Shannon's name of Sayo, and Kanon being relunctant to reveal his real name make it seem that secondary are a big deal. But I do appreciate the image of Krauss getting loving fed up, carrying a corpse that has been dead for a very long time around him down the stairs, saying "here, is this what you all wanted to see?!", and then killing everyone with shotguns. But that would include Natsuhi in that scenario though...

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

lotus circle posted:

"No! I must deny the witches!" Battler Ushiromiya shouted
Lambadelta said "No, Battler. You are the witches"
And then Battler Ushiromiya was the Endless Sorcerer.

Tired Moritz posted:

did not expect Battler to become a magical boy

:allears:

Battler is going to be the best witch.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Thank you for posting Umineko art in here! I don't really get a chance to look at some of the things that other fans have done because I'm trying to avoid spoilers, so I appreciate it.

Yes. :vince:

Looking forward to Witch Battler explaining what the heck is going on.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Fates End posted:

Well, if we're posting fan-stuff and such, I might as well post the Magical Gohda Chef theory for Episode 2. I also have a reading of a story relevant to this part, but I think that would be best after next update or two (there's something very slightly spoilery in it).

"While attending to the family conference late in the evening, Rosa came by the kitchen and mentioned to Gohda that there was going to be a Halloween party for Maria in the chapel the next day. Thinking this was a wonderful idea, Gohda decided to make some special treats for the occasion, but because he was distracted he accidentally reached for the box marked "Tiny Food Bombs" instead of the sugar. He gave some of the treats to Rosa, who took them to her siblings. They all went to the chapel to check out the party since they'd probably be too tired in the morning, when the tiny food bombs exploded and killed everyone but Rosa, who wasn't hungry.

Later, Gohda was hanging out and he heard Jessica having an asthma attack. Rushing upstairs, he found Kanon with her and reached for her inhaler, but as he swung it over to give it to her she tripped and he accidentally impaled her in the back with it. Kanon assumed he was trying to kill her and they struggled, and Gohda accidentally pushed Kanon out the window. Realizing he was going to get in so much trouble for this, he quietly locked the window, planted a stake in Jessica's wound, and walked off whistling.

While bored, Gohda decided to show off a new knife trick he learned to Nanjo and Kumasawa. Disaster occurred. Genji suggested they blame Kanon for it so nobody would find out, and dump the bodies somewhere.

Later in the evening, George and Shannon refused to believe Gohda's claim that he was capable of juggling three Stakes of Purgatory at the same time. Upset, Gohda offered to prove it to them in Natsuhi's room. Tragically, he was not as proficient as he thought he was.

Genji called Battler upstairs to tell him everything. Battler couldn't accept this ridiculous scenario, and declared that it was more likely that a witch did it."

This is canon. I'll accept this well constructed series of events as truth.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I've been away for a while and wanted to talk about how awesome Gohda and Natsuhi are in the TIPS section but now I've caught up to the rest of the backlog and it's fantastic! :cenobite:

ZiegeDame posted:

So Battler has created a blank slate young woman in the hopes of raising her to be a duplicate of the Beatrice that died. He's really taking the wrong lessons from his grandfather, huh?

Cyouni posted:

I think it's less that and more a reflection of Kinzo. Kinzo created a sort of distorted reflection which was projected onto his children, and Battler reflects Rudolf in a way that might just approach Kinzo again.

So this brings a new look onto that first section from last update. The other question, I suppose, is wondering if that is only chick-Beatrice, or whether that was something that happened to human-Beatrice at some point as well.

Cycles of abuse and trauma seem to definitely be a go here. :getin: Going with Cyouni's supposition here that human-Beatrices (OG Beatrice and 1967 Beatrice) did experience a similar past that we're seeing with Babby Beatrice. However, trying to recreate the conditions that led to a Beatrice being formed without consideration towards the original Beatrice's personality/identity(?)/internal gestalt shows that Kinzo is just going through the motions. A summoner Kinzo is sure, but actually having magic/love? Nah. It can not be seen.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ZiegeDame posted:

Hell, the Assassination of Sakutaro by the Coward Ushiromiya Rosa is probably one of the contributing factors that lead to the plan in the first place.

I just want to take a moment to appreciate this beautiful comment. :pusheen:

ZiegeDame posted:

It's also interesting that he decided to hang out with Genji and Kumasawa instead of Ronove and Virgillia, which just shows what terrible taste he has.

It's that good ol' Curse of Kinzo kicking in. By the end of it, Battler is going to have gray hair and drink absinthe. He already has yelling Beatrice's name down pat.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

bman in 2288 posted:

Now, to be fair, Ronove and Virgillia are both shipping the hell out of him to his dad/father-figure, Ronove, the cook, and someone who has nothing to do with him in 1986. Unless Amasuka was Beatrice all along, or had something to do with her or something. But that'd have to be waaaaaaaaay out of left field, methinks.

Seriously, those two play a very dangerous shipping game. The kind that makes LITERALLY NO SENSE except for the Ronove thing, and even then, it's only on Ronove's side.

The most likely ship is probably GohBato. If there's one thing that Battler loves more than hitting on his cousins and aunts, it's food. And Gohda loves anyone who shows an affinity for food. GohBato is my OTP. :colbert:

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ProfessorProf posted:

"Gohda-san's a splendid chef. He's the only reason anyone'd ever want to come to this island."
"I am most honored. Battler-sama, I do hope that you look forward to your meals during your stay."
"I can't wait...! I'll be looking forward to it!"

GohBato confirmed, and epitaph solved. It really was about the sweetfish (dish) after all.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
^^^^:drat:

How does this manage to be really cute yet devastating at the same time?

The Shannon/Kanon theory was pretty interesting in the beginning because it answered some interesting questions, but now that there is battle over whether Shannon will be with George or Kanon being with Jessica, it's tantalizingly almost confirmed. But allow me to toss in more chips to the pile.

Same eye color, same brooch jewel. Also they both wear hats.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 6, 2017

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

idonotlikepeas posted:

Old-school mittenhands art:

Faces and eyes are still very similar.

The Shannon=Kanon theory is looking very much canon.

(thank you for posting seacats art, I will always unironically love seeing Ryukishi07's art.)

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

idonotlikepeas posted:

Oh, I agree with all of that. Sayo is always the prime mover. That doesn't mean she murdered anyone, though. It's hard to say how we could have gotten to Battler's parents as the killers, because that timeline has not been presented yet. I could come up with scenarios that explain it, but they'd just be inventing things from whole cloth. You might say, I have a theory about the whodunnit based on some evidence, but not the howdunnit or the whydunnit yet. (I suspect the why part involves large stacks of cash.)

I'm glad that other people are having the same theory as me. I think there is another murderer at play here beyond someone wearing the mantle of Beatrice. The family conference before Battler got there was already a powder keg ready to detonate due to the suspicions of Kinzo's death. While I suspect that Eva's family and Rosa had their own plots how to corner Krauss into giving up the money, Battler having appeared for the first time in six years seems like a plot that Rudolf and Kyrie would have arranged.

Essentially, everyone's guilty in their own way in the murders that followed.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Robindaybird posted:

Obviously, it's Dooru-chan, the Witch of Entrances and Exits! A witch whose ability concerns the matter of how the absence and presence of pathways and people affect the story.

Dooru-chan is too OP. :bahgawd:

A while back people were saying that Jessica would probably accept Kanon/Shannon for what they were, and how hard it is to say which murders were spur of the moment situations and which were premeditated. I personally believe that the murders of George each time were spur of the moment when it became apparent that Shannon was more than what meets the eyes. I don't know if George would be violent and angry at the revelation, but I think he would try and argue how Shannon and him were 'supposed to be together'.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Oh god, this is bringing back Professor Layton memories, save me. :gonk:

Don't remind me of a puzzle, please...!

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

oath2order posted:

The plot twist in episode 8 is that this has just been one extremely involved layton puzzle the whole time

Goddamn. Rated 5 as well.

Cyouni posted:

Well presumably the answer is referencing two inside the space occupied by one, which would be a hint towards X/Beatrice or possibly Shannon/Kanon. Interestingly enough, according to this interpretation it's only two inside the space one should occupy, instead of three (which would possibly be a hint at Shannon/Kanon/Beatrice).

:chanpop: Jesus Christ. I love this.

So it's turning out that character art might be an effective tool of itself in order to tell what's really going on, as in the case of Shannon/Kanon. For that reason, I think there's something really skeezy about George.

In the battle against Gaap, when asked that he kill everyone else in order to be with the one he loves, he says that he'd be willing to do so. He's made multiple statements before how he'd be willing to stop anyone who got in his way of his goal of going after Shannon, and the TIPS section makes a joke out of him having lied to Shannon to get her to search all day alone with him for a hat he doesn't even own. In addition to that act of manipulativeness, he's also been shown to be the best at handling other people's emotions, especially seen in today's update and in the past when Maria started to act up. There's going to be something really bad with George, I know it.

Only good person on this island is Gohda. Second place is split between Maria and Natsuhi. :3:

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tired Moritz posted:

Yikes if actual murderer Natsuhi is in second place.

Natsuhi did nothing wrong. /s

I had forgotten that she actually pushed a baby (and the servant carrying the baby) off a cliff. gently caress, I still liked Natsuhi though. :(

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

alcharagia posted:

Rosa doesn't deserve Kyrie.

"But does Rosa deserve Kyrie's smooching?" is the real question. RoKy can still be in play. :pervert:

Question for anyone familiar with Japanese media: Does Japan have the same cliche about mystery novels that we have over here in that "the butler did it" is to be expected? Because it's obvious that there are shenanigans on the servants' side.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 07:46 on May 9, 2017

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
^^^yessss, I'm digging the fanart.

Fates End posted:

**Snip. Thank you very much for the excellent original Umineko sprites. I unironically love them**

I'm just trying to say that a person doesn't just pull off a Gendo Ikari without being at the least a morally dubious character.

Also, this is my favorite Beatrice.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

bman in 2288 posted:

Keep in mind that this specific instance of adultery leads to Ange getting beaten up by Yakuza, and nearly shot to death. Indirectly, yes, but it was a factor.

I had an idea about the coins in the cup riddle, beyond getting ice cream for solving a simple riddle designed for children. Sure, it could still apply to the theory that S=K=B, but doesn't it seem like a bit of meta-narrative on Battler's part, about the actual story of Umineko? The story of a family conference, being told in what's basically an MST3K episode gone wrong, which is being read in a book by one of the family conference's character's sister. Leads me to think that it's not just foreshadowing, but elaboration of the situations in Rokkenjima.

Anyways, that's my two cents.

Por que no los dos?

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

bman in 2288 posted:

Non parlo spagnolo.

我不会说意大利语,对不起。

(tis just a goof/meme that means "Why not both?" in regards to the interpretations of these puzzles in this gameboard. And then a further additional language goof "I don't speak Italian, sorry" in Mandarin.)

Question for thread: if all the characters got into a nonmagical fist fight, who would win?

I vote for Kumasawa. Mackerel does wonders for strength.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ZiegeDame posted:

This episode also contains a friendly reminder that somebody (Kanon?) pushed a servant down the stairs for poo poo-talking Beatrice.

In addition to that, during Gohda's TIPS it was Kanon who was graphically describing the poo poo that Beatrice would do to all the staff members who did not respect the legend. Genji had to reign him in from indulging in some choice Beatrice action, and help clean up the pile of pots and pans that Kanon (presumably?) made to scare Gohda.

Also:

quote:

"Uu-. Beatrice isn't scary. At least, as long as you respect her. If you don't..."
"...kihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihi! Right, Shannon?!"
"Uh, yes. That rumor does exist among the servants as well. Rumors about servants patrolling at night bumping into mysterious silhouettes... or gold butterflies..."

Reads to me as Maria doing a 'wink wink nudge nudge' sort of deal with the person that she knows is actually Beatrice.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Wint is magic.

lotus circle posted:

Erika Furudo, fiction's greatest detective.

Ah, I see that Erika is indulging in the old mystery genre tradition of making GBS threads on every one's sentimental values and crushing them like the worthless trash they are. (Sherlock Holmes was kind of a jerk :ssh:)

This gameboard is truly a confession with all the hints the two Beatrices are dropping. Can't wait to see what Kumasawa aka Silver Beatrice has to say about the past.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

bman in 2288 posted:

Considering that Rosa's business was in hot water when she was alive, I'm finding it extremely difficult to believe that one of their products were still being sold 12 years later. I'm of the opinion that the those dolls have nothing to do with Rosa or her company.

Didn't her business take off from the infamy of Rosa's death? I could be misremembering however.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

MonsterEnvy posted:

Her companies name is Anti Rosa.

Is Anti Rosa supposed to be Good Mama Rosa?

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
George saying that he wanted revenge on Shannon, and then wanting wanting to marry her and have kids and have her for as long as she is alive makes me think that this is the reason why George gets murdered everytime. Shannon deserves not living on this hell island with these creeps. :gonk: (of course I just got done watching the movie Colossal yesterday, so that's maybe coloring my feelings of despair for characters being trapped with psychos with inferiority complexes...)

Alternatively: Get George a fedora.

Erika does raise a good point though. Everything that's not in red can't really be trusted, just as we were all being deceived by Shannon and Kanon being two separate people. However Dlanor did say that pieces on a game board can't make actions against their character, so it's reasonable to assume that George is indeed a somewhat messed up dude trying to patch it all up with the grand excuse of love.

Interesting to note that at no point does the narration refer to Shannon as Sayo. Shannon, the work persona, picks a finger to place the engagement ring on, but not Sayo. Even when talking to George who they are about to be married to, Shannon still refers to George as "George-san", which is not at all personal or intimate. George-kun, or heck even just plain George would be more appropriate if they were truly in love. Shannon is not really into this.

I'm starting to wonder Kanon and Jessica would be a healthier pair than this, but who knows, watch Jessica be just as messed up George.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

BORN TO AHAHAHA.WAV
ISLAND IS A gently caress
Kill Em All 1986
I am witch man
410,757,864,530 DEAD SCORPIONS

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Moon-chan? As in the moon in the sky?

oath2order posted:

I will say that the parallels between this thread and the Umineko fanbase as it existed between 2009-2011 are pretty uncanny.

Is it okay if I ask what those parallels are? Is it the Shannon=Kanon thing?

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

oath2order posted:

It's many, many things. I would say details at this point would be spoilers. They'd taint the sample if nothing else.

Moon-chan is something I totally forgot about--it was basically the fandom nickname for Jessitrice.

Although I'm confused how Jessica is associated with moons, it's fair enough to suspect her as Beatrice. I already suspected her as the phone caller from the last game. I thought that Moon-chan would be a tongue-in-cheek way to bypass the 18/17 human limit for Rokkenjima. :shobon:

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Kumasawa can get out of anything by claiming age as an excuse. Still knocks back liquor like a champ though.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'm pretty sure our person under house arrest is supposed to be Shannon. She came to the island when she was very young, and the experience may not have been the best. In this metaphor I think Shannon is coming in contact with the rules that bind her. So long as she can find a way to meet those conditions (reset the door chain before she takes off, find a way to do it from the inside, etc.) she will eventually escape. She's learning to evade the restrictions her captors have placed upon her in way that they can't be sure if she's still captured or not.

This is mirrorIng 1960s Beatrice confinement (probably).

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Cyouni posted:

I think I can put an end to the Shannon=Kanon theory.

Shannon is not Kanon. For that to be true, they would have to hold two master keys. There are five, one for each servant. The only master keys are the ones held by the servants, one key each. There are only five master keys. As Shannon and Kanon were only holding one master key each, they are not the same person.

Who were the listed servants who were given master keys? If it was not specified then it's possible that the key that is theorized to go to Kanon actually goes to Kumasawa instead.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Also I want to give credit to Qrr for starting to figure out ways to get out of this locked room, because I don't really know of any. :p Master key issues though, I think I can handle.

Five servants, five master keys. For sure, Gohda was not given one. In an attempt to curry favor with solving a locked room, he mentioned that he wished he had one so he could open the locked door with it. This causes Shannon/Kanon to wince because they were hoping to have that door remain locked much longer (can't remember which book it was from). Maybe he was lying about not having one (but Gohda is the best character and would never lie, goddammit), or he was intentionally ruining Shannon/Kanon's attempt to have the door remain locked. I personally believe Gohda was telling the truth and has no master key.

This leaves in extra key available if you assume that Kumasawa, Genji, Shannon, and Kanon have one each. If you believe that Shannon and Kanon are the same person, then it actually leaves two master keys available.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Cyouni posted:

I'll keep an eye out for that section as I continue rereading, but if you find it, please note it. Edit: The reactions you noted sound a lot like Kinzo's study door during episode 5 and how Gohda kept mentioning the ladder.

Ack yeah that is true. That's what I was thinking off. I was honestly expecting Gohda to not have a master key because he doesn't the one-winged eagle crest. Thank you for the correct information.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

This thread is magic.

But yeah, Shannon=Kanon=Beatrice. One body means that only one boyfriendo/girlfriendo can be chosen. Dating is a real murder sometimes, amirite?

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Qrr posted:

The main reason I'm suspicious of this is that we have Battler creating a game to troll Erika (or at least I hope it's to troll Erika, that's what I would want to do). And it seems like the best way to do that is to imply something ridiculous and get her to believe it.

So while it's possible that Shannon and Kanon are the same body, almost all of the evidence for it comes from this episode. There are a couple of things in the past that make sense with it, and it doesn't seem to be contradicted, but frankly there are a ton of things that aren't contradicted when you distrust everything that wasn't seen by a detective or in red.

And it makes things so much more complicated. You need them to get around the house quickly, to change clothes quickly, and we need to figure out what the heck Natsuhi knows or thinks about it, because she definitely pays attention to the servants.

Disagreed. The similarities in portrait designs has been consistent throughout earlier games, including the seacats version. In addition to that, in all of the games so far, none of the characters (narration doesn't count because it claims magic is real) directly say something to the effect of "Hey, Shannon and Kanon, who I'm most definitely referring to as being here in the same room and time, go do separate tasks or talk about separate subjects."

The issue with them being having to change clothes often is solved by the scheduled shifts that the servants have. Shannon can go punch out after a long day, and then go change and be ready to punch right back in as Kanon. Surely someone in the mansion must have noticed by now, right? Sure, but I think it's just another thing that people are okay with just like everyone goes along with Kinzo's magic studies, or witches. Not everyone has to be in on the secret. Probably just Kumasawa and Genji.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 22, 2017

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
In regards to Natsuhi doing the scheduling and whether she knows about Shannon/Kanon, I have two minds about that. Either she doesn't know about the secret (most likely), or she DOES know which could go into a possible reason why Mystery Caller 3000 from last episode wanted to dispose of her in addition to cliff baby reasons. No scheduling secrets must get out. :tinfoil:

Running into the red truth is difficult, but there will surely be a way around it since there's so much evidence going on that points to them being the same person. I'm still lost on the master key dilemma, but looking at how often the characters dance around on specifically mentioning Shannon and Kanon being present at the same time is proof enough. Ryukishi07 is making a deliberate choice here just by choosing what NOT to say.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

BurningStone posted:

I'm not going to argue against anybody's pet theory, but I don't see the point of Shannon = Kanon. Does it solve any of the mysteries?

When red truth is involved in declaring certain characters 'dead,' then yes. Shannon has been declared dead multiple times, but there's always 'Sayo' to fall back on, and possibly commit more murders. Now it turns out, that there's so many other personalities to deal with and deflect red truth with. One of the issues is that in the murder mysteries, there's a lot of closed room scenarios that are being confounded by everyone inside the room being dead (or worse, 'dead') and the presence of master keys. The way that we as an audience are told to solve these closed rooms is by using the red truth given to us. Red truth, while technically true, is mostly used by witches in favor of a false deduction of events (e.g. "magic is real ahahaha"). Being able to subvert the red truth is a major goal of the game.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

It all makes sense now...

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of Knox, hasn't it been confirmed that Eva was not actually the culprit in the 3rd game since she was the main perspective character?

ZiegeDame posted:

But why did Hideyoshi tell everyone he was looking at Shannon's mutilated corpse in the shed when there was nothing there and Shanon-as Kanon was standing in the same room?

I'm probably going to have to look up the first game's LP, but it's possible that Shannon was pretending to be dead, while Kanon was merely a narrative trick. Perhaps Kanon led everyone to the shed, then snuck off, climbed through a shed window and hid as Shannon. I'm going to be rereading that scene in particular though, because I don't remember it so clearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ZiegeDame posted:

There were five corpses with mutilated heads. There was a very recognizable Krauss with half his face smashed to a pulp. There is no way anyone (anyone as smart as Eva anyway) saw this and thought these murders were a fake.

While Kanon has been established as an expert at sneaking off unnoticed, I'm gonna call bullshit on Kanon opening the door, sneaking off, changing clothes, and then somehow faking missing half a face, without anyone even noticing he was gone.

There's been a lot of back and forth in between characters (I think it was Meta Battler and Beatrice?) about the face issue. It was determined possible that a person pretending to have a smashed face could be hiding amongst the truly dead bodies. After all, Nanjo is the only doctor on the island who could determine who is actually dead, but he's not reliable since he might be involved with the conspiracy. Also Nanjo... I know he's a doctor, but perhaps he's one of the people to whom the fifth master key would be given to, if not ShKanon?

Also I did reread the section about the first game's shed murder. It seems like there is a Shannon corpse (probably not dead), along with Kanon being ordered by Natsuhi to take Battler's group to the guest house. Hmmm, this is hard to put together since I'm honestly pretty convinced of ShKanon being a thing. Maybe the Shannon corpse is not actually Shannon? The way that the corpse was kept hidden from inspection by Hideyoshi is indeed kinda suspicious.

This whole thing about Shannon=Kanon allows for the number of people on the island to still be 18 in accordance to the red truth. Perhaps there is an additional human who was being obscured under these conditions?

• Locked thread