Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Fernkastel's fascinator is breathtakingly hideous.

I'm in love! Too bad there is no such thing as magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Hahahahahahahahaha lets talk about Krauss's excellent vision again!

Krauss is incompetent.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah, the problem isn't so much that Krauss has bad ideas, it's that he refuses to commit to those ideas that have potential when, instead, he could help this Entirely Trustworthy Nigerian Prince and get double or triple the returns.

His ideas are to throw money at swindlers without performing due diligence. Also signing over control of his family's assets in secret. Those acts aren't visionary, they're credulous and deceitful.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
556 is ichigo ichie personified.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I've been traveling until just recently, so it took me some time to catch up. I had also lost my love, and without that, there's no motivation to solve the problem here, as we saw previously...

So these observations are a little late and not crucial, but here's two small things. Regarding the epitaph, if quadrillion is the answer and it refers to the old capital of Kyoto, then here's some trivia question I don't think was mentioned? Kyoto is surrounded on three sides by mountains. Only the south is clear (it's a basin). If you get lost in Kyoto, look for the direction with no mountains and you can orient yourself. The Kyoto clue may have been a direction to head south as the final step to locate the gold. (I was in Kyoto last week and my guide demonstrated this. She is quite a cool lady.)

The second thing is even less important, but I thought it was funny. The same guide who showed me around Kyoto happened to point out a couple in Shinto wedding garb and said that some folks used to believe that all women have horns and that we hide them upon marrying. That was the reason for the bridal headdress. Featherine is clear for shipping, then!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I really hope the split personality/intersex/transsexual theories are off base. I'm kinda tired of seeing those characteristics applied to murderers in fiction. There are so many other characters with solid motives that don't boil down to otherizing. We don't have to keep going with the Celluloid Closet theory if any exposure is good exposure.

Anyway, having deposited that sad hope here, I think the thread is sadly devoid of Kumasawa's favorite fish. Here's a dead basic recipe that you can also apply to any other firm fleshed fish.

Shioyaki saba for 4

4 filets of Spanish mackerel (400 g should do you)
2 tsp sake (dry white vermouth or a dry not oaked white wine are okay too; you can omit this entirely but I like to cut the fishy smell with wine)
1 tsp salt (adjust accordingly if using kosher salt)

Rinse the filets and pay them dry. Put them in a shallow dish and sprinkle the flesh side of the filets with salt and wine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes. (If I have more time, I double the salt and chill overnight for a dope rear end fish breakfast.)

Preheat an oven or toaster oven to 400 F (that's about 200 C right?) and prep a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly oiled foil. If you're using a regular oven, position one rack at the bottom third and one at the broiler element.

Moisture should have been drawn out of your mackerel by the salting, so thoroughly pat your filets dry and then place them skin side up on your baking sheet. Bake the filets about 12 minutes or until the flesh is opaque white all the way through.

Then flip the filets skin side up, turn on your broiler, and move your baking sheet up to the broiler element if necessary. Broil until the skin puffs up and starts getting a nice golden crisp, about 3 minutes depending on how fast your broiler reaches temp.

I like mine with grated daikon and ponzu, but grated daikon and radish are more traditional. Serve with steamed rice and a light miso soup for a simple traditional breakfast. (Add Japanese style pickles, nori, and umeboshi to really have fun.)

This type of dish is something Kumasawa would have commonly served. There are way more and I'll do a simmered recipe next time I post a gripe about representation.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

witchcore ricepunk posted:

Sorry for upsetting you! I totally get where you're coming from. Characters like Buffalo Bill and Lois Einhorn (from Ace Ventura) are awful and frustrating and represent a complete Pyrrhic victory as far as trans representation goes. So far, I have faith that the story will treat its central character well, regardless of what's going on with her. I mean, the text is really sympathetic to her, given that Battler, the audience surrogate, has literally fallen in love with her.

My small hope is that idonotlikepeas' theory that she is not the true killer is correct. To quote EagerSleeper, porque no los dos?

Oh no, I wasn't meaning to criticize you at all. I just think you might actually be correct but I'm hoping that the story doesn't turn out that way.

It's a fair enough reading of the story and the genre tropes it trucks in. Even if The story treated a trans murderer sympathetically, it's still... you know? And MPD is such a tired rear end cliche that I'd be really disappointed if the author relied on it as the crux of the mystery.

I definitely don't think people are theorizing about that in ill will or anything. The responsibility is ultimately Ryukishi's, and I'm both eager and anxious to see what theory comes closest to the truth.

Also I like your new name, bub. :shobon:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I haven't been able to get fresh mackerel lately, which is a real shame.

Looks like we're getting closer and closer to in/validating the Shkannon hypothesis, though, at which point I may post about Osaka style shime saba sushi too make up for whatever complaints froth up in my posts. Maybe there will be pix. I have some fish knives I need to bust out to demonstrate my Kumasawa murder conspiracy theories.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Shkannontrice? They're like Cerberus. A three headed murderer.... maybe.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Utena is great.

This framing device and narrative/metanarrative structure is well suited to gaming but often it's only really employed in the literary genre.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

resurgam40 posted:

Good boy or not, you'd think he'd spent enough time amongst emotional manipulators to be at least a little critical of any sort of song and dance to earn a little bit of power. Your "lovely boy" just gave a self proclaimed intellectual rapist the means to gently caress him over yet again, because the Witches were a little mean... I hope he doesn't come to regret it.

If the protagonist isn't painfully naive, how will the audience be able to self-insert through him?!

I would like to read it more charitably as the relationship between an abused person (Battler) and his abusers (basically everyone else except Ange), but the narrative hasn't really played him up as someone who suffered much abuse in any form before the events on Treasure Murder Island. Therefore I conclude that this is the "idiot protagonist" trope as usual.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

ZiegeDame posted:

So you're saying literally everyone still alive is in on the conspiracy then?

I don't think it's unfair to say that nearly everyone on the island is in on one or more conspiracies to some extent. Some of those may be murder conspiracies and some might just end with spontaneous murder. All the adults are willing to scheme even to the point of concealing the patriarch's death. George and Jessica have their own romance related schemes. Battler was the focus of a birth or inheritance related conspiracy by his father and perhaps Natsuhi and Big Boss.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

ZiegeDame posted:

If someone were in on the one person pretending to be two conspiracy, and they keep playing along with that even when people start dying, it stands to reason that they either have no sense of self-preservation, or they are in on the murder conspiracy too.

They might be in by hook or crook. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. All those characters have things they want and people to protect, so they're all persuadable.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
If it's true I have to order mackerel.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
There are many Beatrices and they have a plan?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Why is that backwards? This isn't a trial. Process of elimination is a valid strategy.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
People can also be in on a conspiracy because they're being blackmailed or because someone important to them is being threatened. Is anyone proposing that literally everyone is being bribed with a share of gold or equity?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

This LP is fun to speculate on but not when people are acting all aggro :nyoron:

All we need is love?

:shobon:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

EagerSleeper posted:

I'm sorry for your discontent, but I have to say that I love this post. :swoon:

Shime saba.

The following post has a lot of dead fish! Who murdered them?

Virgilia, Witch of Saba.

Get you a mackerel, some non iodized salt, a bottle of rice vinegar, and four square inches of kombu seaweed.

:murder: http://i.imgur.com/YoKLbeq.jpg

If you're working with a whole fish instead of filets, you'll need to fishmangle it yourself. I'm just going to give rough outlines; there are videos that can show you how to do this really nicely. Hack off the head at the point behind the first pair of side fins.

Your fish is probably already gutted like ours here, but your grocery fishmangler may have left the blood vein in like this. Starting from the tail end of the cavity, insert the tip of a sharp knife and drag it along the spine until this whole bloody vein is open.

(Then stuff with Halloween candy!)

Rinse the gore clean.

Slice the flesh from the bone, running your knife along the spine. You can start from either end. Slow and steady. Then once a filet is freed, trim away the small rib structures. For now, you'll leave in the pin bones and the skin.

In a casserole or other relatively deep container big enough to let your filets lie flat, sprinkle some salt, then put in the filets and generously coat with salt. Go nuts. I like black diamond kosher salt, but any salt that's not been iodized and supplemented to reduce caking will serve. (Those additives add a metallic flavor which will be quite pronounced in our end product.)

Let rest for around seven hours in the fridge, covered. Then rinse the salt off and pat the filets dry.

Return the salted filets to the cleaned container. Pour in vinegar until the filets are just covered. Add kombu. Cover and return to the fridge for another half hour at least. You can leave it longer; the length of the pickle really depends on the individual fish and how thoroughly pickled you want the mackerel. A longer pickle makes softer flesh, so just be aware of that.

After you remove the filets from the vinegar, pat them dry again. At this point you can peel the fish skin right off. Then use fish tweezers or some pliers to pull the pin bones out from the inner side of the filet. You can find the bones by running your fingertips along the center of the inner side of the filet.

A lightly pickled example! Look at that grandmotherly plate; Virgilia is surely the culprit in this ghastly slaying.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

tiistai posted:

Thanks, pool, now I know and knowing is half the dinner.

:rowdytrout: is my alternative theory of the murder that doesn't involve hewing to distasteful tropes. :sun:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

tiistai posted:

Actually, just to get some discussion about this for the hell of it, if the murders were set up to be fake, why was Hideyoshi's death real?

Because he's a self aggrandizing bore who doesn't know when to end a tall tale about his early career. :murder: Clearly Kumasaba couldn't take another meeting with him revising his personal mythology, so she killed him with a katuna. (nb. I've already forgotten the murder method.)

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

KataraniSword posted:

So it was a murderous katuna? Perhaps a die-katuna? I didn't know this was the Uranium LP.

:chef:

Alternatively, Hideyoshi is a Yorha unit and achieved Ending K.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

ProfessorProf posted:

This is by far the best argument in favor of that theory.

He could also be an android. I'm just sayin'. And that omits all you nasty witches from the solution!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

EagerSleeper posted:

:vince: This was a sacrificingly delicious/excellent post. Kumasawa would be proud. (Question. Do you still have to cook pickled fish or is it like ceviche and you can eat as is?)

Who did this? Who created such

Kumasaba really is amazing isn't she?

Shime saba can be eaten as is. You can also sear it (the preferred method seems to be a blowtorch as for creme brulee, but a grill or broiler can put a nice sear on the skin side).

I'll have to get another mackerel so I can show you Osaka style pressed sushi with shime saba. After all, we still have to see what's up with Sayo and Yoshiya.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Van Dine posted:

On a different note from the above: Pool is Closed, do you want a new avatar? Witchchat has one ready and waiting to give you.

Yes please! I have to admit I'm extremely curious. Also Halloween passed quite a while ago, so I should dress more appropriately for Battler's wedding.

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 22, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I have some disorganized thoughts on Erika, meta, and the nature of our discussion.

I actually have a lot of sympathy for Erika, despite how horrible she is. Despair can turn someone into her, especially when that person is a perfectionist. She seems to feel things very intensely and then express her insecurity as a need for control. She might have been decent enough before whatever events led her to our purgatory. She's still a very human witch. She just lost her love -- instead, she has the cold comfort of truth.

And that's a point that digs between you witches and the rest of us. Some of us do not share your faith in the author. That's only natural. Not only have we not seen this work all the way through, but each of us comes at this from a different place which necessarily colors our perception of and reaction to the mystery.

You might say we don't have enough love of the mystery or the author to penetrate to the truth, and chastise us for saying that twists and tropes cheapen what we're being shown. I ask that you witches and my fellow readers remember that we should also see each other with some of that love and try to understand the sources of our doubts and our trust in Ryukishi07.

Some of us fear the author's truth, here. Erika represents that fear, too, and the resulting desire to take control and steer circumstances to an ending one is less frightened of, regardless of consequences. The pieces are our stand ins too.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I had another long post about authorial authority, audience trust, fatigue, and the pacing of rising action in contrast with slower scenes and small payoffs, but I couldn't make it come together the way I wanted. Insert notions about attention economy, rewards, and narrative parsimony here.

I have to acknowledge that my personal fatigue and diminished trust come not only from what I see as worn out tropes is due to the structure and pacing I'm experiencing. This isn't how the OG reader experienced Umineko. That's not meant as a knock against Prof. The manner of presentation has an inescapable impact on the viewing or reading experience.

In fact, this means of presenting Umineko has one big positive that you original witches didn't get, and that is basically that we are all playing this game as a group at mostly the same time in the same virtual space. Everyone reading the work separately at release and then discussing through various forms of social media didn't get quite the same experience.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I think those actions happened simultaneously according to the rules though. If so, no one had a chance to slip out between being named and sealed.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
:eyepop: holy mackerel!

Thanks! Now I'm a real fishwife!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

ZiegeDame posted:

Come to think of it, we haven't had any certified Closed Rooms in the guesthouse at all, have we? Is there something about the guesthouse rooms that means they cannot be made to fit Beato's definition of a closed room?

Wait, I thought Erika sealed them with her tape. Are they not?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
The way to shift the burden of explanation is to force the other player to make a claim that must be defended.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

CottonWolf posted:

In fact, I was assuming she was taking advantage of knowledge not available to us when she made him use the phrase "everyone else" in the first place.

This has been my assumption as well.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Sorry, feeling stupid but I'm a bit confused about how the love battle is going on while the game is halted? How could the "murders" progress while the story can't? Doesn't that seem weird to anyone else?

I'm not even sure the murders pertain to this round if Erika was roaming around doing murders and everyone else was in the cousins room. It's a little fishy tbqh.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
:yikes:

Now that we've once again borrowed the language of rape, uhh

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

bman in 2288 posted:

Is this the part where we have to believe in R07? Because as far as it looks, Erika won. Unless there's a way to get that time off of Battler, she owns him.

I'm voicing my concern, BTW. I'm being pushed to the edge trying to believe in the author, but he's not making it easy.

Well, narratively, we're clearly not at the end of the tale, so there's space for an upset. This would be the "all is lost" portion of a story chart.

But yes, this is trying my faith quite sorely. I also think that R07 was going for a jab at hentai VNs that eroticize rape, and that this isn't meant to be pleasant or titillating, but I've seen and read enough that instead of feeling like I'm in on the joke/critique, I just feel tired.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I mean, it is completely possible that one or more of the people who are on the island before the conference somehow arranged for there to be corpses in storage on the island to set up fake bodies so that the culprit could murder other members of the family without being a suspect (because the culprit was mistakenly identified as dead, when it was in fact a corpse which wouldn't count against the 18 people supposedly on the island, or 17 since we've already confirmed that the head of the family is actually dead before this poo poo goes down). It's also possible that the visiting family members could have brought corpses in refrigeration on the boat that brought them onto the island, and this should still not count against the number of people on the island. Plus, it is possible that the people who viewed the corpses lied about the bodies rather than making a mistake of fact while identifying them. This requires a conspiracy; multiple people must be involved for a plan like this to work out. Nobody but the culprit has to be all the way in on the conspiracy, though. The original conspiracy may have been what we saw here -- multiple family members pretending to be dead plus a blackmailer calling in order to scare Natsuhi into admitting that the patriarch is dead. Then someone who either wasn't in on the conspiracy figures it out and uses the opportunity to settle some scores/create an opportunity to enrich themselves, or a person in on the conspiracy does the exact same thing, meaning one of the "real" characters pulls an Erika either way.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

ZiegeDame posted:

Huh? Is this in response to me? I'm talking about episode 1, not 5. No extra corpses, just 100% Grade-A Ushiromiya meat slurry with a Gohda-burger chaser.

Only in response to "let's talk about something else"! :smith:

Tired Moritz posted:

who the hell is looking at that and thinking "wow I bet they wanted to titillate the audience"

EagerSleeper posted:

Be grateful you don't watch anime.

This, pretty much. Or old Nasuverse VNs.

Like I said, I don't think Ryukishi was trying to titillate anyone, I think he was mocking that type of, uh, thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

idonotlikepeas posted:

The wedding guests already told us what's going to happen. Beatrice is going to attack the wedding and crush Erika into paste, at which point Battler being subservient to her won't make much difference. I can't wait to see how she pulls that off.

So you're saying your avatar is prophetic?

• Locked thread