Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Now we are asking for witches to help us. :smith: it ain't right.

Now I gotta find more mackerel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
And neither are witches. :colbert:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Witches still aren't real.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

idonotlikepeas posted:

It's true. This is just a symbolic representation of the reassertion of the structure of the story. And, of course, Erika is about to get her symbolic rear end handed to her. Metaphorically.

Meta narrative isn't real. Mackerel aren't real. Nothing is real! :psyduck:

But seriously I am glad to see the story get back on track and past self-defeating attempts to control the conclusion.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

EagerSleeper posted:

Truly a ethical dilemma worthy of a demon's game. I like it.

Meta levels of kink shaming is probably Ronove's thing.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Okay

Alopex posted:

The true title of this episode, The Kinkshaming of the Golden Witch

Yeah, I think we can call this mystery solved!

Without love, kink cannot be seen. :catbert:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Even Erika can see with love.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Nah, the Ushiromiyas are dying a thousand subjective and fantastical deaths and it's hosed up that witches are claiming responsibility for the only real ones.

It's like the ill people who falsely claim responsibility for murders while investigators search for the real killer. How sad do you have to be to seek that kind of attention?

Witches aren't real, but they need help.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Only fear kills again and again and again. Witches are a delusion that spreads suffering.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

ZiegeDame posted:

It's pretty clear that witches are a delusion that results from suffering. See Maria and Ange for the clearest examples.

I will accept that both are simultaneously true, as the apprentice witch of mackerel.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Qrr posted:

You are witches and therefore not real, so you're easy to ignore.

:yeah:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
We will learn that everyone died in a freak kitchen accident involving mackerel. :colbert: No one is guiltier than god.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

havenwaters posted:

Listen man. The Nier Automata LP is thataway.

You know, I've thought about checking out what Dark Id is doing, but at the same time I feel like the integrity of the story I experienced would somehow be irreversibly compromised by intruding on someone else's experience.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

havenwaters posted:

Yeah I'd suggest playing Nier:A first and then checking out the LP thread for it. Game's great.

It remains the only game I've ever platinumed. Also the only Platinum game I've ever played.

Tired Moritz posted:

Honestly, Eva+Hideyoshi+George is probably the cutest family unit.

Even with the whole metaphorically matricide thing, they just seemed to really like each other. It's a nice contrast to Eva being an asshat to everyone else.

Eva does really care for her son and husband. That relationship is a pretty strong contrast to whatever is going on with Kyrie & co.

Cyouni posted:

Looking at Ange's comments on it, she also wrote in the section about Ange's death at the hands of red-hot pliers.

Eva's comments on the marriage and everyone else's reactions to them are pretty great. Reminds me of how dedicated they were to each other early on, and also why the explanation of episode 3 where she kills George and Hideyoshi feels so wrong.

Also, given how they were wearing goat masks, I wonder if that means we were supposed to take Rosa Musou completely literally.

I'm interested to see whether Ange survives this story. The future is grim.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Fabulousvillain posted:

Christ this update really bites into that happy ending with Ange basically complimenting fan-fiction. Also Ange talking about everyone dying in an accident (was it referred to an accident before?) anyway is probably the last flag telling me to solve the mystery, but maybe thats just how I feel after reading through Higurashi's 6th episode "happy ending".

The accident theory is the official report's explanation for the deaths on Rokkenjima.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Qrr posted:

I think Amakusa was trusting in the goons to shoot Ange, which is why he expressed hope that they were good shots. Though frankly they don't need to be to hit someone at close range when there are like 5 of them, so I'm not sure I understand what he was doing. I guess maybe the luck he's trusting in is whether the goons could kill Ange before he finished killing them - he doesn't want to kill her himself, and he's not sure if he wants her to die, so he gives her a chance to survive by starting to kill the goons before they kill her. Either they kill her before they die or they don't, and that decides if she survives.

Maybe.

Also, Nier Automata is great but it is a very, very different game than Umineko.

but why would we kill ange?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I was just joking about the goons part :cripes:

e. also I think a happy ending would be cheap. Everyone is dead. Everyone dies. And I don't think Amakusa has love. Love is over, now.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

bman in 2288 posted:

My cat is literally dying, I'm kinda in a weird place right now.

Same. :smith: :respek: :smith:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Neopie posted:

But haven't you loved all of them?

Like I said before, love is over.

Only monsters are here now.

(Can't wait to see what's in store.)

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Leave my mackerels alone!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

havenwaters posted:

Make the hiatus last a month. That'll teach 'em.

I did it; doesn't work

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I have obtained more mackerel.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

curiousCat posted:

I'm just happy that "explosion" guess from forever ago has been at least hinted to be correct because of the profiles. Makes me think I'm not terrible at the mysteries.

Lion is adorable and sweet and probably doomed.

There was an unfortunate kitchen explosion while Gohda and Kumasawa argued about serving mackerel for dinner again. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

alcharagia posted:

I'll drop witch kayfabe and be serious with you for a moment. When I made that picture I legitimately did not intend for it to be a stealth Lion reference and that it could be construed as such only occurred to me after making it. I am the world's greatest unintentional huckster.

:argh: Witches aren't real!

I wonder why R07 chose to name her Lion. Lyin'? Something about the lion and the lamb? I mean, yeah, we've been told it's pronounced lee-on, but...

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

alcharagia posted:

You're a witch, Pool.

I'm not real! :iit:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
After all we've seen, I think we are too jaded to complain about pinches. It could be so much worse.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Oh, Cornelia. :smith:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
All the guilty characters are dead! Hooray!

:smith:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Oh, Maria. :smith: It was a good story to tell yourself, but taking your fantasy too seriously hurt you more in the end.

Uu-.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

witchcore ricepunk posted:

I admit that thinking about this hurts my brain a bit. IIRC, they alternate seats based on rank: Ushiromiya OGs, then kids, then spouses. But mainly I'm weirded out that they do this just for informal visits.

Some families are very traditional, especially when it comes to the perquisites of rank. Most of my family in the US is very informal, so when I visited some cousins up north or some kin in Germany and got in trouble for sitting down before my elders or leaving the table without requesting permission from the head first, I was completely bewildered. To say nothing of all the other faux pas I committed because I didn't understand the dynamic or the expectations. But this way of acting is still alive (if not exactly well) and isn't confined to rich, old, Japanese families.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I love you unreal witches.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Arbitrary Number posted:

An addendum: it seems like Battler's achieved this love at some point, I mean have you seen him denying witches lately? Well, it could also just be his incompetence.

He took "love thy enemies" and applied it wrong. Incompetence.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
There's a gigantic mackerel in there.

Tired Moritz posted:

Jessica's life is suffering. She's stuck being compared to an ideal successor regardless whether or not they exist.

A female successor with all the socially desirable characteristics typically assigned to male heads of household. Lion's androgyny could even be interpreted as sexless or neutered, rendering them unthreatening to whomever has invented this fantasy.

Lion and whoever caused their creation bring up a lot of conflicting and ugly feelings for me. I really struggled with my gender identity when I was their age and Jessica's. A lot of it was from misogyny and homophobia in my everyday life. To some extent, I internalized a lot of those ugly messages and really hated myself for being born a woman. I tried to suppress the traits both physical and mental that signified the "weak" parts of femininity. Of course, taking on any typically masculine behaviors, including dress, really only made fitting in harder. After all, the same people who hate women and anyone not straight enough will also feel threatened by someone "encroaching" on their territory, as though my posture and dress could've ever let me share in the power and authority held by men in the community.

Lion's gender hasn't been given, but given all that I went through back then, I can't help but read them as a girl stuck in the same place I was. Are they questioning? Are they nonbinary or male? Or are they unhappily self-loathing and female and trying to efface all those female parts of themselves that Kinzo and their parents hate?

Lion must be a clear mirror for anyone who has struggled with this particular identity question.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
The other characters have engaged in varying levels of deception to shield their insecurities. I don't really read Lion as on the same level of "real" with the rest of the cast. Even the meta and pieces are more "real." Lion is totally someone's projection in my book, and as such, represents a gaping wound in someone's sense of identity and security.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Skylight posted:

I wouldn't put anything past him. Unfortunately. :smith:

It's better than what he did to his daughter by OG Beatrice. :(

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
At least Will has the right kind of love, it seems.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Pardon me if this is very obvious and has already been stated, but does the presence of Lion require the absence of Battler from this fragment?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Confused Llama posted:

As a ciswoman with a PhD in a STEM field and all of the experiences that entails, I could also read Lion's behavior here as that of a woman in a traditionally masculine position (in this case, one of authority) who is sick of people making assumptions about her competence for her position based on her gender and so has chosen to obscure that gender, not necessarily because she herself doesn't personally identify as a woman but because she's tired of trying to make other people's idea of what her gender identity means align with her own. Note that Lion's dialogue with Will explicitly calls out their working relationship ('partner'ship) as being one where gender shouldn't matter.

This is fairly close to my own reading, too. Lion even says they have a complex thanks to people bothering them about it.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Neopie posted:

Queer people existed in the 80s, you know.

No one's saying they didn't, but how we think about it now, here (wherever your value of "here" happens to be), is probably different from how it was thought of over 30 years ago in this fiction's Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Graylien posted:

Yeah, I mean, where I'm from queer is something that gets yelled at you in the street, not a personal identity, and that's within the same time frame, things can change massively depending on where and when you are.

Twenty years ago, "smear the queer" was a game my teachers would get grade schoolers playing during recess. :eng99:

• Locked thread