Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Kids. Heh, goat kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

bman in 2288 posted:

What if I'm just the kind of goat who'll eat anything put into their mouth?

That's the kind of goat always welcome to dinner at our place. Can't abide a picky goat.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
A bunch of so called magic has happened in the supposed mundane part of the story. Given the unreliable perspectives at play, I am unmoved. Witches aren't real and neither am I.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

havenwaters posted:

But what about mackerel. That has to be real, right?

Mackerel exists without being contingent upon any causes and is therefore Real. My existence is contingent upon mackerel and therefore I am only "real" in that we both politely ignore my impossibility within this consensual small r reality.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Rodyle posted:

The conference isn't in the catbox

That doesn't have much to do with the other strange elements in the real world part of the narrative.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
The game isn't over yet. Don't forget the time she was murdered by her aunt.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
But how did the survivor end up out on the road for Hachijo to find? That seems tenuous for the same reason as Ange being there is tenuous.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Seems dubious. I honestly think it's more likely that this is Ange after being dumped out by Amakusa or her aunt's lackeys... yet my hunch tells me you guys are right and that isn't how the story will go, and instead we will get something more convoluted.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I'm glad those two have so much in common. Keeps things from getting boring, at least for a few centuries.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
It's a trick. We tell ourselves and each other white lies to get by; sometimes they are beautiful, and generally they are kindly meant.

But let's believe in magic for one more day.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
The mackerel?!

:sadpeanut:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
This thread is like the breakfast club.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
A little justified double :murder: to end the tale on. :golfclap:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Zandar posted:

Well, the second murder might have been justified or it might not. I guess the truth is in the catbox now.

Uh, clearly Ange is the witch of Truth, and thus the killing was lawful, if extrajudicial. Just by the presence of Erika, this level of reasoning is possible for The Mackerel. What do you think, everyone?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Poltergrift posted:

So is this the good end to magic's bad end or to magic's best end?

Because I'll admit, "Ange murders two people," while clearly justified by the excellent reasoning of the Witch of Truth, is perhaps less than ideal in terms of personal growth.

On the contrary, it shows that Ange wants to live and is actually exercising her intellect to preserve her life and liberty.

I'd totally read about the adventures of Ange the pirate. I hope she finds Erika's pirate hat. :getin:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Kangra posted:

Exactly, because the alternative would seem to be betrayal and death.

This way she has a chance to go on and maybe discover that Battler survived the incident and is probably still alive (although with amnesia, so maybe we don't know if Battler "exists" or not). No need for magic to do that.

:yeah:

Also my epithets are becoming quite convoluted.

Tired Moritz posted:

Guys

Killing is bad

But what if... being murdered is bad, and allowing yourself to be murdered is also bad?

PetraCore posted:

I'm pretty sure Ange has no idea how to drive a boat and Erika showing up is proof that she dies. That's cynical, but...

I think to reach that conclusion is to reach pretty hard. After all, Ange has had a lot of imaginary friends. Erika just happens to be the best pirate among them.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Nah. Ange is now the captain of her own destiny.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
These are a lot of posts saying you all suddenly trust people in power to start doing right by Ange despite all the suspicious signs and scenes so far. Including Amakusa's secret instructions. I ain't sayin' but I'm just sayin'. :shrug:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

PetraCore posted:

I mean it's solid canon that there is at least one powerful group of people out to get Ange at this point in the timeline, and things have been so well coordinated against her that her paranoia is absolutely justified. It's just also true that people under pressure make bad decisions, and leaning into absolute first-strike self-defense isn't a great decision.

I disagree on the first strike thing. We know there are people around her, including family members, who are absolutely willing to murder her -- and she's basically a kid. She's smaller and weaker and less experienced. Surprise is the only thing on her side. Waiting to see if someone else will fire the first shot isn't a wise choice, even if it's a more loving one. What's his face the chairman is not on her side, unless you're willing to chalk up those scenes where he's planning behind her back about how to dispose of her or sideline her in order to control the family fortune as strictly her fantasies. It's fair to suspect that, but then we have to wonder exactly how many of the apparently mundane characters in the mostly mundane framing story of Ange's journey to Rokkenjima are, in fact, fantasy creatures just like Erika and Featherine.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Also... look, even if currents carry the bodies to Rokkenjima, that's a lot of shoreline on an apparently unpopulated island. A lot of that shoreline isn't particularly reachable to judge by the cliffs incident. It's not an easy thing to find a body lost in the wilderness, much less one lost at sea. And there are a lot of crabs out there.

eta: don't do crimes!!!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Beato is dead. There's no way she could have had a happy ending with Battler.

(But I'm just a fish hag, not the Witch of Miracles, nor the Witch of Resurrection.)

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Badminton is the best sport and it's not just because you can score points by beaming your opponent with the birdie.

But it helps.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
One minute til midnight on the Umineko nuclear Armageddon clock? :ohdear:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Well, the endings seem to be operating in two different Primes.

I suppose it's time to let the mackerel rest. Goodnight, Ushiromiya family.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

witchcore ricepunk posted:

Thank you for this LP, Prof. It’s been such a ride, and I definitely feel like a different person than I was when I stumbled upon the thread mid-way through episode 2.

It's been so long that I've legitimately forgotten your former username.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

MonsterEnvy posted:

Brain Damage can't be helped.

仕方が無い.

Battler is incompetent, but not guilty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Yeah, it's hard to read even a little ill intent into his choice. He was trying to preserve himself, not harm or punish anyone. There's no guilty mind here; just someone profoundly disoriented and also deeply and permanently changed by their experiences.

It's tragic, not really even selfish, and driven by circumstance.

And Ange is still right to feel abandoned yet joyful. What a strange situation to find yourself in! But both siblings still act with love and are able to commune in, for a moment, some of that sense of home both had stolen from them at a young age. And that is a miracle.

• Locked thread