Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Bernkastel's smiles are unnerving.

eta: Krauss isn't listed in the bodies or alive in the parlor.

curiousCat fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Probably only if it's specified to. Like how it's specified that Kinzo being dead is "true across all game boards".

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

The personal guard of Maria. Definitely the ceramic rabbits.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

I guess we got it in thread. L O R D U is still a bit tough, but... doesn't it just seem like directions, mostly? Left, ???, Right, Down, Up.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

It's a complisult.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Feel good, prof.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

FrantzX posted:

I am the only one who has noticed that Beatrice is now using blue truth instead of red?

She no longer controls the game board.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

I love her.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

If Natsuhi is not the killer, and everyone else has an alibi, then we're left with only one scenario:
There were no murders that night.

...right?

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Seriously, though. So much of this red truth is devoted to establishing alibis. So we've got to accept them. And unless Krauss did it (doubtful), then we have to conclude that the people in thread shouting "PHRASING!" were absolutely right -- nobody would've mistaken the corpses for alive, because they were alive, there was no mistake.

But... that would seem to involve the culprit of this case being... everyone but Krauss and Natsuhi somehow???

Editing to add: Battler is the character whose viewpoint we can trust, supposedly, but that's meta-Battler. Not a piece-Battler that was under Bernkastel's control for the rest of the game. So we can't trust... any scenes from anyone? Or, more likely, we can trust Natsuhi scenes to an extent. Did she ever see either of the first two crime scenes? The bodies were gone by the time she got to the guesthouse. Did she go to check on Genji herself? If not, we have no credible witness to any body but Hideyoshi's.

curiousCat fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Apr 16, 2017

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

We can trust Erika scenes apparently.

According to who? Erika? Bernkastel?

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

Unless we want to hypothesise a witch, I can only see 3 possibilities, and I can't even follow the third through to a solution, though it seems important.

4. No crime was committed last night. Literally everyone but Natsuhi and Krauss was in on it. This would also explain why Erika and Eva discussed ways to make the alibis solid, and decided to use the seals. If they create the illusion that something happened, then they can claim ailbis for a crime that didn't occur. This is the only way I can see that literally everyone has an alibi.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

"All deaths were homicides".

And if there were no deaths, then there were no homicides. Nothing happened that night. I don't know how, or why, but if everyone has an alibi, this is it. I know I sound crazy here but, like... this just sounds right to me.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

It'd be a neat dodge, but it has two problems.

1. George, Jessica, Maria, Rosa, and Genji really are dead. So you then have to explain how they died later.
2. With a conspiracy so grand that literally EVERYONE has to be in on it, you get the problem that Battler both has to have been involved in the murders but not be capable of explaining how they were done before the court. Unless you want to hypothesis that Battler is the only person who doesn't know, but then you have explain why the hell all the cousins and Rosa are willing to get into elaborate stage makeup to trick Battler before getting murdered by persons unknown.

1. Culprit [x] killed them later, at some point. Doesn't matter when, just that they are killed before now. Hell, they were poisoned during breakfast, I don't know. It doesn't matter. As long as they weren't killed last night, why would it matter?

2. The conspiracy did not include the murders. Fake deaths, no murders. The actual deaths were caused later by someone involved in the original conspiracy without actually informing the others.

edit: also, the difference between Meta-Battler and piece-Battler.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

I don't remember who said it, but the goal here, in this game, appears to be "punish Natsuhi". And I think it's reasonable to assume at the very least, of the adults, they would all easily be willing to go in on something that would make Natsuhi admit guilt.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

A conspiracy to get Natsuhi to admit to what happened 19 years ago. No matter what the cost, at least for one of the group.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

thetruegentleman posted:

Uh oh, Battler was only monitored by Erika until he screamed, at which point she ran off to look at all the tape, so she never actually bothered to check that someone was dead at the time Battler actually screamed: her entire theory is bunk if Battler has a second personality to make his thoughts unreliable, or if he ran out of the room to find help.

Or if he screams as part of a conspiracy.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Unless whoever (Kanon?) did kill Hideyoshi, which seems plausible.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

tiistai posted:

Hang on, let me get this theory straight. So, in this conspiracy scenario Eva now honestly believes Natsuhi murdered Hideyoshi despite being the one who framed her in the first place? Why doesn't she suspect people like Kanon who knew about the plan? Why did they, Eva in particular, leave Natsuhi in the closet if they knew she was there and had killed a person?

The first twilight is a conspiracy. Everyone but the murderer believes that everyone who was "killed" is simply in hiding. Hideyoshi's killing is NOT part of this conspiracy, and is the only real body that anyone has seen.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

Oh yeah. The stuff the survivors families got, right?

E: That doesn't rule out the number having significance too though.

On the contrary, it might increase the chance of it having significance. People do that with important passwords all the time.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

How many avatars does witch-chat have planned, what the heck?

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

This looks like it's calling out S=K but I think ya'll are skipping something real important here.

ProfessorProf posted:

"...To become the Golden Witch, one must solve the epitaph of the gold. And this trial cannot be skipped, not even by Beatrice herself..."

In other words, the epitaph was already solved before anythin on the island actually happened. Someone else already is the successor, someone else controls the gold. Sayo has solved the epitaph?

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

idonotlikepeas posted:

That should be obvious from previous stories, but if Sayo (I guess I'll stick with Sayo for now?) is Beatrice, she's also solved the epitaph and been to the golden land. Where else would she get that money? Maybe that's how she gets the other servants on her side, too. She's technically the head of the family, since Kinzo is dead. That seems like the sort of thing that would matter to Genji, for instance.

The only "other servants" in this case would be Genji and Kumasawa -- two people we already are assuming are close to Beatrice. So I absolutely agree with you, the servants minus Gohda have always been with Beatrice.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

ZiegeDame posted:

Rudolf and Kyrie both die at the start of the first two games. Their death is even confirmed in red for the first game. But I can counter this twisted logic that even lead you down this path. The reason post-Ep-3 Eva won't talk about what really happened on that island is whatever else happened, she absolutely detective-saw-it-for-sure shot Battler dead. She is a murderer. If she tried to tell a mostly true story about what happened, but lie about the bit where she killed her nephew in cold blood, there's always the chance some evidence will be found that contradicts whatever story she told, raising suspicion. Better to not say anything and wait until the cops find something to worry about lying to cover your rear end.

At this point, everyone has died in one of the games. none of them are stated to be explicitly true. In fact I think all of them have to be false except possibly episode 3, though it still seems likely that everything is non-canon after... the first dinner, really.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

ZiegeDame posted:

The Detective has never once seen Kanon's dead body.

Episode 1?

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Please let Battler have killed Erika. Please.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

I think that Lambda's description there is by far the scariest thing in the entire games so far.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Qrr posted:

I still am suspicious of S=K because of how hard it was pushed. So what are the odds that someone else is Kanon? We know Battler isn't via red, but what about one of the other people in the same room as Shannon?
Before this episode, that was literally labeled a confession, how hard was it pushed?

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

A "miracle" was mentioned. So... what would count as a miracle?
- Ange attends the family conference
- There are no murders at the family conference
- Eva accepts Shannon and George's love (This one is probably wrong, it doesn't feel like it impacts enough things)

Or, maybe if we're going really far back...
- Natsuhi accepts cliff-baby and cliff-baby never becomes such

Are there any other things we could count as a "miracle" as this author's intended? Like, one in a million shots.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Oh right also I guess another miracle could be the Beatrice that Rosa found doesn't die?

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

I'm just happy that "explosion" guess from forever ago has been at least hinted to be correct because of the profiles. Makes me think I'm not terrible at the mysteries.

Lion is adorable and sweet and probably doomed.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

That... actually makes a lot of sense to me? Alternatively the Kanon we know could even be based off a former servant.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

It definitely seems like this isn't a proper gameboard, more like... Bern took a bunch of scenarios and squashed all the pieces together, then called it a real scenario. If that makes sense? Like a homebrew "Betrayal at House on the Hill" haunt.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Beatrice C is cute.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

oath2order posted:

Ultimately, people in umineko are, time and time again, asked to make the hard but good choice. And almost always, they reject it.

Except for the cousins.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

yeah, happy bday, mine's only a couple days off yours (tomorrow)

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Lion doesn't seem nb to me, just... tired of questions. And I guess it makes sense with being the successor and looking androgynous.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Have we heard anything about Lion's toes? It's possible Sayo could've noticed sharing polydactyly with Kinzo, right?

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Prof, you're good. We believe in ya, take a break if you need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Getting possessed by your own imaginary friend is odd. Just seems like MPD to an untrained eye, anyway.

• Locked thread